CHAPTER ONE

Damn You Park Jimin (Aka. Suga How You Get So Fly)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He’s back again, the customer who’s become Taehyung’s reason for waking up a few minutes earlier in the mornings before work, to make sure his wild locks are decently tamed and that he at least washes the crust from the corners of his eyes before leaving his house.

“MY,” Taehyung calls out, whispering boyfriend under his breath.

“Thank you, Taehyung-sshi,” the man greets with a lopsided, gummy smile, showcasing his perfect teeth and causing his eyes to crinkle at the corners.

He’s breathtaking, a cross between a grumpy cat and a newborn puppy.

And yup, Taehyung’s in love. Okay, maybe not love. He doesn’t even know the guy’s name, only what he assumes are his initials. But he’s most definitely enamored, possibly even endeared. He’s all the fancy E words.

The man started coming on Taehyung’s second week of the job, which he’s had for fifteen months now. He’s never talked to the man beyond a cordial greeting or calling him to the front once his order is ready, but for Taehyung, those few brief moments make up the best part of his day.

“You’re welcome. I hope you enjoy your iced Americano,” he tells MY as he hands over the plastic cup.

“I’m sure I will,” the man replies with another gentle smile, and Taehyung fights the desire to squeal out loud at his adorableness.

With great disappointment, Taehyung watches the man leave, sipping on his iced coffee as he exits the café. Taehyung’s eyes are glued to the customer’s back. He continues staring, disregarding everything else around him (much to the chagrin of the woman standing before him waiting to place her order), until the man is out of sight.

“Can I take your order?” he abruptly asks the woman, ignoring her disgruntled huffs.

As the morning ramps up, getting busier and busier, Taehyung pushes all thoughts of the handsome iced Americano loving stranger out of his mind, or as far as he can, and concentrates on the task at hand: getting people out the door. It’s eleven AM by the time he and his co-workers can take a breather as the rush dies down.

“What is it with coffee that makes people so cranky and not nice in the morning until they’ve had their first cup?” Jungkook questions, a tiny pout on his lips.

“I don’t know. Coffee is gross, and people who drink it are weird,” Taehyung answers back, equally as confused by people’s need for the bitter-tasting drink.

Taehyung grabs a dishtowel from the counter behind him and makes his way into the dining area. He needs to wipe down the tables before the lunch rush comes. The old Rolex on his wrist, a hand-me-down from his late grandfather, reads eleven forty-five. Taehyung sighs to himself as he reads the time. His class starts in less than an hour. He rushes through the clean-up, tossing his apron on the table in the employee break room once he’s done. Snatching his messenger bag from the coat hook on the wall, Taehyung hurries through the door, yelling a ‘see ya later’ to Jungkook as he heads to class.

 

Working and going to school is stressful, and more often than not, Taehyung feels like the pressure of it all is crushing him. Life doesn’t stop because you’re a student. There are still bills to pay and food to be bought, and there’s only just so many times Taehyung can eat tuna out of the can before he starts wondering if his life is a failure.

To say Taehyung’s having a meltdown would be exaggerating, but his rent is due in four days, and he needs to buy a new textbook and paintbrushes for class. The money he makes from his job at the café only goes so far. While he may not be freaking out, he is, in a word, concerned.

“Seriously, you need to just listen to me,” Jimin exhorts for the hundredth time.

Jimin is the peanut butter to Taehyung’s jelly, the yin to his yang, the ebb to his flow. Although he trusts the slightly older boy implicitly, sometimes, well, Jimin’s advice can be a little over the top.

“Jimin, not be a prude, but no,” he firmly states. Hoping his friend would take the hint.

However, Jimin’s not good at taking hints.

“Come on, Tae. It isn’t bad. It’s not like you’re p-wording or anything. You’re just, you know, offering companionship for a little financial help,” Jimin restates his original pitch.

Jimin has been trying to talk Taehyung into joining a Sugar Baby Site for the longest. While the thought of someone showering him with jewels and making his financial struggles a distant dream does sound nice, Taehyung’s more concerned with what he’ll have to give up in return. Pretty Woman, while a great movie, is not real life. There are no Richard Geres in Taehyung’s world, lost and looking for someone to drive their stick shift.

He chuckles to himself at the stick-shift reference.

“Tae, with your looks, you’d literally have people falling over themselves to take care of you,” Jimin tells him matter-of-factly.

“Oh, you mean like you and Joon?” Taehyung retorts, and he chuckles as Jimin grimaces. “That’s where you found him, right? But now that you’re together, you’re back at square one, because you won’t let him pay for anything.”

Jimin sighs, and Taehyung pats him on the back.

“I can’t in good conscience allow him to, even if he wants to. I love him, and I don’t want to taint that, you know? I never want him to question why I’m with him. I need him to know it’s because of him, not the money,” Jimin pouts as he speaks. “Damn it to hell the day I swiped on him. I could be living in the lap of luxury right now, sipping on Mojitos on a private yacht. But instead, I’m struggling to make ends meet, while dating the world’s cutest, smartest, most hands-”

“Okay, okay, I get it. Joon hyung is great,” Taehyung cuts Jimin off. It’s not a lie. Namjoon is great, and he’s happy that his friend has found someone who loves and supports him. However, Taehyung still firmly believes the path Jimin took to find happiness is not the road for him.

“Anyway, this is not about me; this is about you. And you need help, and if someone is willing to give you that help in exchange for some of your time, then I don’t see the issue,” Jimin advises adamantly.

It’s not that there isn’t some credence to Jimin’s proposal. Taehyung is struggling, bad. He could use the assistance, and he’s a people person, so spending time with someone would not be hard for him. If what his best friend is suggesting were like a let’s be friends site, Taehyung would have no issues. But getting money means there’s a price involved, and Taehyung’s not sure he’s willing to pay it.

“Thank you for the advice, Minnie. I know you’re just looking out for me, and I love and appreciate you for it, but that’s just not something I’m interested in doing. When I finally have a relationship, I want it to be real. I’m not looking to be someone’s side dish or arm candy. Plus, I’m too much like you for a Sugar Baby site to work for me. I’ll probably catch feelings that won’t be reciprocated and be left hurt and still broke,” Taehyung declines. “I may be broke now, but I’m happy with me, you know.”

“Okay, I’ll stop asking,” Jimin agrees, but the mischievous twinkle in his friend’s eyes has Taehyung feeling nervous.

“Remember you promised,” Taehyung admonishes, slipping out of the booth he and Jimin have been occupying. “I have to go. I’m on dish duty tonight. You gonna stick around until closing?”

“Mmm,” Jimin mumbles his reply.

Jungkook’s in the kitchen when Taehyung enters, bringing the dirty cutlery from the dining room.

“You want me to help, hyung?” the younger man offers.

“Nah, I like doing the dishes. It’s therapeutic somehow,” Taehyung explains, as he signals for Jungkook to continue cleaning up the customer area.

It’s quiet, just him and a sink filled to the brim with dirty dishes. He turns on the tap and pulls the hose out after squeezing a good amount of dishwashing liquid into the tub. He lets the soap lather up and smiles as the suds growing larger and larger until they’re all that can be seen. He grabs the yellow washing gloves from the shelf above his head and gets to washing. Moments like this are rare for Taehyung. He’s usually in class or the art studio or dealing with customers. He doesn’t often get time to unwind. He relishes the moment.

After the dishes are washed and stacked, he wipes down the counters. Once he’s confident that everything is clean and in its proper place, Taehyung walks to the employee room to grab his stuff before turning off the kitchen light. Jimin and Jungkook are waiting for him, and he smiles as he gazes on his friends who’re congregated around Jimin’s tablet and giggling.

“What’s so funny?” Taehyung questions as he gets closer and closer to the table.

“Jimin hyung is showing me the video of the donkey greeting his owner,” Jungkook tells him excitedly. A wide, bright smile takes up his face. “And now I want a pet donkey.”

“More than a pet dragon?” Taehyung teases.

“Hyung, I was drunk. Will you never let me live that down?”

“Jungkook, how am I ever to forget the night you drank two bottles of wine, face-timed me to tell me night apples are poisonous, and that you wanted a pet dragon? I mean, how?” Taehyung laughs at the mortified look on Jungkook’s face, eyes saucer wide.

“God, that was a great night,” Jimin chimes in. “The best line was created on that night. What was it again? Oh, yeah. ‘I’m not drunk. I’m buffering.’”

Taehyung and Jimin dissolve into fits of laughter as Jungkook stares at them in embarrassment.

“You guys are the worst friends ever,” he tells them with a pout.

“You mean the best friends ever. The fact that we have not shared this info with anyone, well, that shows the kind of loyal friends we are,” Taehyung informs, wiping tears from his eyes.

“Maybe,” Jungkook replies with uncertainty. “Anyway, can we go home now? I have a paper to finish.”

The dorm is technically Taehyung and Jimin’s. They grew up together and were accepted to the best Art School in Korea. Jungkook, who is Namjoon’s younger brother, joined their little group after Jimin started dating Namjoon, and the three have been inseparable ever since.

“Yeah, I have to put the finishing touches on my piece for class tomorrow. Will it bother you if I paint while you write? I’m too tired to go to the art lab,” Taehyung asks, as Jimin and Jungkook get up from their seats.

“Of course not, hyung. I work better when there is something to block out,” Jungkook tells him.

They lock the café doors as they exit, and Jungkook hands the key to Taehyung so he’ll be able to open in the morning. The walk to their tiny apartment on campus is full of laughter and teasing, and Taehyung’s heart feels full. Yes, he thinks to himself, life is hard at times, but the people around him make it better and give him hope.

 

Taehyung can’t help smiling, he can’t. He spots Mr. Americano walking through the door, right on time, and the grin just appears on his face of its own will, it just cannot be helped. This morning he arrived at work a bit earlier and took the time to slow brew the man’s favorite blend. As the man makes his way to the counter, Taehyung is already putting together his order.

“Morning,” MY greets, and god, Taehyung hopes the giggle he hears isn’t his own.

It is.

“Morning, one Americano with espresso shot and a plain bagel with butter, coming right up,” Taehyung declares before the man has time to place the order himself.

“Wow, impressive.” Taehyung is rewarded with a gummy smile that goes to the man’s eyes.

Damn it to hell, he’s giggling again.

“Thank you, Taehyung-sshi,” Mr. Americano expresses his gratitude, and Taehyung beams with happiness.

“You’re welcome. I hope you have a great day!” he tells the man excitedly. Which gains him another gummy smile.

The day had started less than stellar, as Taehyung woke up to his tuition bill glaring in his face on the school's website. Plus, the knowledge that his portion of the rent is almost due is also looming in the back of his mind. He considers asking for extra shifts at the café, but he barely has time to eat and sleep as it is. He’s not sure where he’d fit in the added work time. He had walked into the shop feeling a bit down, worried about what his next steps should be, but all that changed with one gummy smile and a thank you.

Taehyung’s problems haven’t disappeared in any way, but now he feels energized and ready to face them.

It’s dinner time when he settles into the booth sitting in front of Jimin. Taehyung slides a sandwich and a smoothie over to his friend, moving his own meal to the side so he can take his sketch pad out of his messenger bag.

“Long day?” Jimin questions without looking up from the phone in his hand.

“Mmm, it started out pretty crummy, but Mr. Americano smiled at me and said thank you, so it improved. But yeah, still long. I haven’t worked a double in a while, it was rough,” Taehyung admits with a sigh.

“He smiled at you, nice. Have you tried talking to him?”

“We talk,” Taehyung quips defensively.

“’Hello, may I take your order?’ is not talking, Tae,” Jimin volleys back, and Taehyung sighs knowing his friend is right.

“You haven’t seen this guy, Minnie. He’s like an adult adult, nice suit, expensive watch, blonde hair that’s not too long and not too short. He has his together. I’m sure the last thing on his mind when he walks into this café is talking to a broke college student who can’t afford proper meals,” Taehyung unloads his thoughts.

“Mmm,” Jimin mumbles, eyes still glued to the phone in his hand, fingers moving furiously on the keypad.

“Wow, you’re not even paying attention to me,” Taehyung pouts.

“What do you mean?” Jimin looks up. “I’ll have you know I am working on helping right no-” Jimin’s eyes grow wide, and he drops the phone on the table in favor of clasping his hands over his mouth.

“Jimin,” Taehyung says the name slowly. “What do you mean by you’re working on helping me?” He eyes his friend intently.

The dinging of the café door announcing a customer goes off, but Taehyung is already clocked out. He doesn’t turn to look. Plus, he has more pressing matters to deal with, like undoing whatever the hell it is Jimin has just done. Taehyung’s full attention is trained on Jimin, who currently looks like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He’s about to ask precisely what Jimin means when he realizes the phone his friend’s been fiddling with all this time is his. With lightning-fast reflexes, Taehyung reaches over and grabs the cell off the table.

“Park Jimin, why did you have my phone?” Taehyung questions, shifting a bit in his seat when he feels someone moving in the booth behind but attached to his.

“Uhm, ahh—no reason?” Jimin mumbles unconvincingly.

Looking down at his phone, Taehyung swipes a finger along the screen to unlock it and immediately regrets the fact that Jimin knows his password.

“Jimin, what is this?” he asks, knowing full well what he’s looking at.

“Well, I did promise not to ask again, which, uhm, I haven’t,” Jimin starts, but the wobble in his voice tells Taehyung the man knows he’s on shaky ground.

“This is how you’re choosing to defend yourself? Jimin, you freaking created a profile for me on a Sugar Baby site. When I specifically told you no,” he reprimands his friend.

“Look, Tae, I can’t continue to watch you struggle like this. You need help, real and present help. You’re stretching yourself thin as it is. Pretty soon you’re gonna snap. I’m not saying you have to do this forever, but at least give it a try,” Jimin admonishes.

As much as Taehyung hates to admit it, a small, minuscule part of him is considering Jimin’s plan.

“Look, I even set up very specific restrictions about what you’re willing to do. See, no ,” Jimin spells the word, as though it’s better than actually saying it, and Taehyung can’t help the tiny snicker that escapes. “Also, no kissing or intimate things. It clearly states you’re willing to be a companion for dates and business events.”

Taehyung leans over the page as Jimin shows him all the constraints and safeguards he’s set in place, as well as protocols that the other party has to agree to in order to secure Taehyung’s services. It’s brilliant. Jimin even added things Taehyung likes, such as trips to art museums, his favorite name brand of clothing (currently Gucci), along with restaurants he can only dream about dining at. In a word, the bio is perfect.

But still.

“You know me so well, Minnie,” Taehyung states, amazed by Jimin’s knowledge. “But my answer is still no.”

“I figured it would be,” Jimin says, sounding almost defeated. “It’s why I haven’t submitted it yet. My plan, which you ruined, by the way, was to make it so perfect that you couldn’t say no.”

Taehyung chuckles at the pout on Jimin’s thick lips. It makes the man look more Cherub than the 22-year-old college student he is. Taehyung picks up his phone off the table to delete the app when the person in the booth behind him bumps into the seat particularly hard. The action causes the hardware in Taehyung’s hand to slip and his thumb to inadvertently slide down the screen, hitting the submit button on its travels.

“!” Taehyung hisses under his breath, watching in horror as a welcome message pops up on his screen.

“It’s fate!” Jimin exclaims, and Taehyung seriously considers chucking his phone at his friend.

 

Taehyung’s phone has been, for lack of a better description, a three-ring circus for the past thirty-six hours. Notifications from the app have been constant. Even after Taehyung turned off the dinging by silencing the app, the phone still continued to announce a new message or interested party by vibrating fiercely along whatever surface it happened to be lying on.

“Taehyung, your phone is waging war against the kitchen counter,” Namjoon yells at him from their tiny kitchen.

“He knows, hyung,” Jungkook informs his brother.

“Why’s it so angry?” Taehyung hears Namjoon question as he walks into the room.

“Because, hyung, your boyfriend and my now ex-friend signed me up for on a Sugar Baby site. Apparently I’m famous. Or infamous,” he tells the older man, a wee bit of irritation in his tone.

“Wait, Jimin did what?” Namjoon chuckles, and Taehyung balks at the older man. “Sorry, Taehyung-ah, it’s just that he complains every day that he wishes he’d never signed up on that site. That way he wouldn’t have met me and been so close to riches that aren’t his own.”

“Park Jimin!” Taehyung screams the boy’s name.

“Screaming at me won’t change anything, Tae. I may have created the profile, but technically you’re the person who posted it,” Jimin reminds him with a sly smile.

“Because the phone ing slipped out of my hand. There would have been nothing to accidentally post had you not created the profile. You are NOT getting out of this,” Taehyung declares, determined.

“Fine, I take full responsibility,” Jimin states as he turns to Namjoon. “I complain because I could be the object of someone’s desire, someone who wants to shower me with ALL the things. But instead, here I am madly in love and feeling too guilty to let my filthy stinking rich boyfriend spend his money on me.” Jimin’s pout makes Taehyung smile despite his slight frustration.

“I want to shower you with all the things. It’s not my fault you won’t let me,” Namjoon throws back, and Jimin sighs.

“See, see,” Taehyung starts. “This is precisely why signing me up was a bad idea. You know me best, Minnie. I love love. I can’t be someone’s side person.”

“Have you even looked at the site?” Jimin questions, ignoring Taehyung’s argument.

“Uhm, no,” he admits slowly.

“Then how do you know it’s not for you? What if your person is there? What if someone is like you and wants a friend to share their wealth with? At least see what’s being offered before you completely shut down the idea,” Jimin reasons.

Taehyung can’t lie, Jimin makes some good points. He hasn’t so much as opened the app since the accidental posting. Having someone showering him with gifts and providing financial help sounds like a dream, especially since he’s one day closer to the deadline of his tuition being due. Sighing, he grabs his phone from the table it’s currently bouncing on.

Swiping a finger across the screen, he taps on the MY Baby Babe App (stupidest name ever, in Taehyung’s humble opinion). He feels Jimin move in behind him, his friend’s head perched on his shoulder as he also peeks at Taehyung’s phone.

“Holy ing, !” Jimin exclaims. “Two hundred responses, that’s got to be a record Tae.”

“, really?” Jungkook jumps up from his place on the floor in the living area running over to join Jimin and stare at Taehyung’s phone.

“Th-that’s a lot?” Taehyung asks, somewhat shocked by the sheer volume of responses but also curious as to whether this type of feedback is typical.

“Yes, that’s a ing lot,” Jimin confirms. “I knew they’d be eating out of your hands.” His friend sounds oddly proud, and Taehyung’s not sure he should take it as a compliment.

“Wow, that is quite the robust response,” Namjoon pipes in, adding his two cents to the situation. “Not that my opinion means anything here, but you should at least give a glance and see what’s being offered. I found the love of my life by clicking on Jimin’s profile, and while he has regrets, I have none.”

Namjoon’s words earn him a passionate kiss that has both Jungkook and Taehyung needing to shield their eyes.

“I don’t have regrets either, hyung,” Jimin tells the man. “Please allow me to show you how few regrets I have in my room. On my bed.”

“Huh? Ooooh,” Namjoon catches Jimin’s meaning.

“Oh, no, nope--nope not here,” Jungkook jumps in. “Please take your loud lovemaking to hyung’s house where Taehyung hyung and I aren’t subject to having to hear your weird talk.”

“That’s an excellent idea, Jungkook,” Namjoon tells his younger brother. Lifting a hysterically laughing Jimin over his shoulder, he drags his boyfriend to the front door before bidding Jungkook and Taehyung, “Au revoir.”

 

Some hours later as Taehyung lies in his bed, his phone still screaming furiously on his night table, Namjoon’s words come back to mind. It’s not that he’s lonely. His life keeps him much too busy to even consider his relationship status or lack thereof. However, watching Jimin and his love for Namjoon at times causes an ache in Taehyung’s chest. It’s not jealousy per se; he’s nothing but happy for Jimin. No, it’s more an acknowledgment that he’s missing out on certain rites of passage as a young man in his twenties. Taehyung can’t remember the last time he let go and just had fun.

Turning onto his side, Taehyung leans over, picking up the still vibrating phone. With a deep sigh, he swipes up and taps on the app, which is currently showing a new total of three hundred and fifty-four. The number overwhelms him, and Taehyung considers closing the app once again or maybe deleting his profile altogether. But he knows there’s a hesitation lingering inside him. It’s why he didn’t remove the app the moment he accidentally posted his profile. If he’s honest with himself, Taehyung is curious.

Scrolling through the bios of the people who have responded to his profile is an experience, to say the least. There’s a man in a police uniform offering to “arrest” him, a man lying in a hospital bed with bruises all over his face and torso with a caption that reads I got hit by a truck once and survived, let me be your Superman. Taehyung chuckles out loud upon reading, ‘made dinner for two, ate both. Let me buy you a meal sometime.

While reading people’s replies has been humorous, no one stands out to Taehyung. Nothing grabs his interest. He swipes a few more times and is about to give up when he sees something that makes him pause. The profile picture is of a puppy named Holly. That, however, is not what captures Taehyung’s attention. What has him stopping on this particular profile is just one word, technically two letters, MY. It strikes him as odd that all through the caption, the letters are capitalized, reminding Taehyung of his favorite customer.

He reads the message under the profile picture.

MY intentions are to give you all MY attention. Sincerely, MY.

Clicking on the stranger’s page, Taehyung is met with a series of landscape photos that quite literally take his breath away. Photos capturing the majesty of the sun before it sets, filling the skies with dark oranges, yellows, and hints of black. There are also more pictures of the adorable puppy from the profile photo. Taehyung smiles as he flips through snapshot after snapshot of the cute doggy living a life that, quite frankly, Taehyung can only dream of. He’s not sure why he does it, maybe his curiosity has finally gotten the better of him. Perhaps deep within the recesses of his mind he’s hoping that this MY is his MY. Whatever the reason, Taehyung hits match and replies with an, “Okay.”

 

 

“Holy !” Yoongi screams out loud, almost dropping his cell off the balcony of his penthouse apartment.

“What, what, what?” his roommate for life, Kim Seokjin, calls out nervously, sprinting onto the porch.

“He, he, —,” Yoongi babbles, still in disbelief. “He ing replied to me, hyung.”

“Who did what now?” Jin asks, voice sounding less stressed once he discovers Yoongi’s fine.

“The cute guy from the café. The one who you said would choose your ‘let me buy you a meal some time’ over my “’boring-, vanilla-lame' caption,” Yoongi reminds his roommate, feeling somewhat vindicated.

“Wow, this is the thanks I get for inspiring you to go after your man by providing a bit of friendly competition. I don’t even want your café boy. We both know my heart belongs to Jung Hoseok,” Jin retorts, causing Yoongi to chuckle.

“Now, if only your tongue could speak to him in rational sentences, Hoseok would be yours,” Yoongi teases.

“I hate you,” Jin tells him with a pout. “I am the most confident, self-assured person I know. Why, why do I become a tongue-tied teenager in front of him? Why?” Jin moans, walking back into the apartment, leaving Yoongi alone on the balcony.

Staring at his phone, Yoongi wonders if it’s too soon for a response? Would he look desperate? Like he’s been staring at his phone all day hoping for a reply (which coincidentally he has). Finding the cute café boy on the site had been a miracle, and the number of responders the man had made Yoongi feel his chances of being chosen were slim to none. But then again, his profile picture is of Holly, and no one can resist Min Holly.

Toying with the phone in his hand, he sits down on a lounge chair to contemplate what his reply should be. It needs to be nonchalant and relaxed. Taehyung’s profile says he isn’t looking for a relationship or a hook-up. The young man, it seems, wants a purely professional relationship where he offers companionship of the non-skinship variety in return for financial gifts.

While Yoongi is not usually in need of company, lately there have been several work-related events that require (or rather would be a better look for him if) he brings a partner. He had considered asking the adorable café worker to join him on several occasions, but once he made to the register and was accosted by the man’s boxy smile and deep baritone voice, all he ever managed was a “good morning” and “thank you.”

“Pathetic,” he scolds himself under his breath.

Sighing, Yoongi flips the phone around in his hand several times, his mind drawing a blank. He settles for a simple, Excellent. When? Following Taehyung’s example of brief but direct. He hopes it’s the right choice.

Moments later, when a reply of ‘depends, do I also get to meet the cute puppy,’ floats across his screen, he knows he’s made the correct decision.

Yoongi can’t help his smile. It’s a fortuitous happenstance that has allowed him to find his cute café boy, who he now knows as Kim Taehyung, on this site. He doesn’t believe in chance or fate or any of the fairytale tropes people like to gravitate toward. Yoongi has worked hard for everything he has. Nothing has ever been given to him or fallen magically into his lap. His fortune and the life he now has have been made possible by his blood, sweat, and tears, but in this one incident of being in the right place at the right time, Yoongi thinks maybe fate did lend a helping hand. God knows the er owes him one.

He quickly sends Taehyung information for the dog park he usually takes Holly to when the pup needs to let off some steam. They make a date for Saturday, which is still three days away. It isn’t until their plans are finalized and Taehyung has logged off that it dawns on Yoongi, he will be seeing the boy in the morning when he goes for his coffee.

“Well , I did not think this through at all,” Yoongi declares in a panic, mostly to himself, as he gets up from his seat to walk into the apartment.

It’s not that Yoongi is having a panic attack as he walks into the café the next morning. Okay, fine, it is that he’s having a panic attack. He’s never been very good at pretending or playacting. He skipped that part when he was a kid, but he totally excelled in napping.

Taehyung looks extra lovely today, or maybe it’s just Yoongi’s imagination toying with him because he’s freaking out. He’s not sure, but the boy’s boxy smile seems boxier somehow, and his deep voice, deeper. In fact, everything about Taehyung seems a bit more today.

“Good morning,” Taehyung sing songs as Yoongi approaches the register. “I have your order ready for you,” the boy tells him with that magnificent grin of his that nearly has Yoongi confessing right then and there.

“Thank you,” he manages to choke out as he grabs his order and heads straight out the door.

Yoongi doesn’t give Taehyung a second glance. He can’t, he doesn’t dare. The man’s beauty is too much to handle today. He makes a decision to have his coffee delivered to his office for the next two days until the meetup with Taehyung in the dog park. He can’t risk himself confessing before their date. He can hold off seeing Taehyung until then.

He needs to.

 

“Okay, captain grumpy. Please stop banging the art utensils. You’re not the only person in here,” Ai, a student in his class, currently using the same art room, scolds.

“Sorry,” Taehyung mumbles an apology.

He’s in a foul mood and has been for the last two days. Today Jimin finally kicked him out of their apartment with a threat of ‘go annoy your classmates because I don’t want to have to kick your before your date.’ The thing is, he’s not sure why he’s so mad. Nothing has changed, not really. He still goes to work every day, still has a mountain of bills that he can’t pay. Jimin is still his roommate, and Jungkook is still their wealthy squatter. The only real change, and Taehyung can’t imagine why it would affect him, is—well, Mr. Americano has not been in for the last two days.

Okay, fine, he’ll admit it. He misses the man. Taehyung doesn’t know when it happened, but seeing the man has become a habit, a reason for getting up in the morning and going to work. Hearing the man’s deep, gravelly voice, even if it’s just a simple ‘good morning’ or ‘thank you’ is the highlight of Taehyung’s day. For the last two days, Taehyung’s days have been dull, devoid of any light, and he’s feeling, well, in a word, cranky.

It’s Friday, and honestly, for Taehyung, Saturday can’t come quickly enough. Even if he has no intention of taking the Sugar Daddy/Sugar Baby relationship any further than the initial meeting, he needs the distraction and the break. Life has been closing in on him lately, and he thinks a cute puppy and possibly a nice meal that he doesn’t have to pay for could go a long way to improving his emotional state.

“Oh, Taehyung-ah, your use of light and composition is perfect here,” Ai compliments him, peering over his shoulder.

“Oh, really? You think so? I feel like I’ve stopped and started this painting a million times now,” he tells her, staring at the piece.

“It’s very alluring. The details you’ve put into the face, the way you draw it feels like a mystery but also familiar? It’s a dichotomy. It’s really lovely, Taehyung-ah,” the female gushes.

He thanks her and turns back to his work, and Ai leaves the room soon after the exchange.

It’s several hours later when Taehyung feels satisfied enough to put down his brush. The piece isn’t quite there yet, but it’s coming along. Smiling at the face before him, he wonders what the painting is thinking. For Taehyung, why he chose to draw this piece is as much a mystery to him as the person the picture depicts.

Jungkook’s curled up on their old brown couch, munching on choco pies and watching anime on his laptop when Taehyung walks into the apartment.

“Hey, Kook,” he calls to the boy who’s become a fixture in his and Jimin’s life.

“Hey, hyung. Want a choco pie? Joonie hyung brought them by for me today, along with bread that eomma made,” Jungkook informs him, pointing in the direction of their tiny kitchen.

“God, I love your eomma’s bread,” Taehyung tells him, practically salivating at the thought of biting into the doughy softness.

Grabbing a slice of bread from the kitchen, Taehyung climbs onto the couch, snuggling close to Jungkook. It doesn’t take long for him to get lost in the anime and Jungkook’s warmth. Before he knows it, he’s dozing off, letting go of the frustration of the day and the emptiness he felt at not seeing his favorite customer. As sleep drags Taehyung under, he hopes that tomorrow is a better day and that there will be a silver lining to his dark cloud.

Taehyung wakes up still wrapped up in the arms of the human furnace also known as Jungkook. He tries moving, only there’s more weight holding him down than there was when he fell asleep the night before. Moving his head slightly, Taehyung sees what the issue is immediately. At some point during the night, Jimin joined him and Jungkook on the couch. Now Taehyung is sandwiched between the two boys like the best friends version of Korean street toast. If he wasn't so hot, the situation would be hilarious.

Unsuccessfully, Taehyung tries to extract himself from his current position. Jungkook’s muscular arms are like steel locks around his waist, as are Jimin’s toned thighs. Which are, at the moment, entwined with Taehyung’s own, to the point where he’s unsure where his legs begin and Jimin’s end. Much to Taheyung’s dismay, if he wants to get up, he knows he’ll have to wake up his friends. Which is easier said than done since both boys sleep like the dead.

“,” Taehyung whispers under his breath.

Taehyung finds himself in a bit of a conundrum because Jungkook is the closest person to reach but the hardest to wake up, and Jimin is the furthest to reach but is slightly easier to wake up than Jungkook. There’s not much wiggle room given his current positioning. He places his hands on Jungkook’s chest and shakes the boy as vigorously as he can.

“Kook, kook, wake up,” Taehyung calls out.

When it’s Jimin that groggily responds, Taehyung can’t help his laughter.

“Taetae, why are you so loud in my room?” Jimin asks sleepily.

“I’m not in your room, Minnie. I’m currently being smothered to death by you and Jungkook on the couch,” Taehyung corrects his friend as he tries to turn his body.

“Couch? Why are—oooh,” Jimin says slowly, and Taehyung can only assume the memory of the night’s events are coming back to the man.

He breathes a sigh of relief as he feels Jimin’s legs unwind from his own, detangling their limbs and giving Taehyung more range of movement. Freeing himself from his sleep prison, he stares at the one occupant now left. Jungkook has not woken up or acknowledged his or Jimin’s presence except to grunt in his sleep and scratch his face before pulling the cushion Taehyung switched himself for closer to his chest and falling deeper into slumber.

“One of these days someone’s gonna steal that kid while he sleeps,” Jimin declares with a grin as Jungkook snuggles into the couch.

 

The morning progresses normally. Jungkook eventually wakes up, and the trio enjoys a late breakfast together. Taehyung typically works on the weekends. This is the first Saturday in a while that he has off, and he’s excited to spend it with his friends.

“So, you nervous about meeting your mystery man later?” Jungkook asks out of the blue, causing Taehyung to almost choke on the orange juice he’s drinking.

“You told him?” he accuses Jimin immediately.

“I didn’t know it was a secret,” the man answers, eyes wide with shock.

It wasn’t.

Isn’t, a secret, not really, at least not from Jungkook.

It’s just that Taehyung wasn't prepared for the question. He’d almost forgotten about the date, or that he was supposed to meet the unknown man today. The events of the morning and just having a day where he didn’t have to wake up early and in panic, scrambling to make it to work on time, well, had kind of just pushed everything out of Taehyung’s mind.

“Sorry, that came out wrong. It’s not a secret. At least not from Kook. I-I just honestly had forgotten about it. After waking up in a human prison and getting to sleep in for the first time in a long time, it’s all been so relaxing. I guess my brain just kind of pushed that to the way back,” Taehyung explains.

“It’s okay, hyung. I’m sorry for just blurting it out like that,” Jungkook apologizes.

“You don’t have to apologize, Kook. You didn’t do anything wrong,” Taehyung tells the boy. “I’m not sure if I’m nervous, to be honest. I don’t know what to expect or even what I want to expect. A part of me wants to be swept off my feet, but the smarter, more practical part of me knows I’d never let that happen and wonders why I said yes in the first place.”

“Taehyung, you know there’s nothing wrong with wanting to be taken care of for once. It’s not a crime to let someone take care of you,’ Jimin tells him, voice soft, caring, like parent reassuring a child.

“It is, Jimin, when it’s not reciprocal, when it’s me using my looks to get a person to give me things. It feels dishonest. I want to take care of the person that takes care of me in return. Even if it’s not monetary, I want to be able to give back in a way that matters to them as well. I’d never feel happy about a one-sided relationship where I took but gave nothing in return,” Taehyung rationalizes with his friend.

“Then look at it as a business deal. Right now, you need finical help to get through school to pay for classes, rent, and food. For the necessities, Tae. You are providing a service that another requires. If you look at it in that light, you are helping the other person as well as yourself,” Jimin expounds on his thought, and Taehyung has to admit there is some credibility to Jimin’s argument. “Go, meet him, see what he’s offering, and then make your decision.”

It can’t hurt. It would be impolite to cancel last minute. Plus, he’s gets to meet a super cute puppy, so no matter how the afternoon goes, it won’t be a complete loss.

“Maybe,” he answers, giving a nonchalant shrug.

“You know I’ve mastered all your nonverbals, right,” Jimin throws back, eyebrows arched knowingly.

“Fine, I’m going to meet him. There’s a cute puppy, Jimin. How can I say no to a cute puppy. Also, can’t you just let me be mysterious for once, geesh,” Taehyung admits with a pout.

“You’re a mystery to me, hyung,” Jungkook chimes in, causing Jimin to erupt in laughter.

“Thanks, Kook,” Taehyung says with a chuckle. “Anyway, what does one wear to a dog park when meeting a possible Sugar Daddy?”

“A dog park. Nice,” Jimin states approvingly. “I’m happy he chose somewhere open, with people, but also not too fancy. It will give you a chance to feel him out as a person.”

“Yeah, I thought it was a good meeting spot too,” Taehyung agrees with Jimin.

“Okay, so the outfit,” Jimin starts. “It needs to be casual but also deadly. A feast for the eyes that leaves him wanting more. I definitely think the black beret Kook got you for Christmas last year. Mmm.” Jimin pauses, pacing between the kitchen and the living room. “I’m thinking plain white tee with the striped Gucci button-down cardigan shirt I stole from Namjoon six months ago that somehow ended up in your closet.”

Guilty.

Taehyung averts his gaze.

“Black ankle-length skinny jeans, and those gray suede oxfords. I love those shoes,” Jimin continues. “That outfit says I’m hot, young, can adapt to any social situation, and most importantly, I’m ing expensive.”

Two trains and one bus stop later, Taehyung arrives in the neighborhood that houses the dog park they agreed on. He hadn’t realized how far it was from his side of town. However, the train ride was relaxing, and the looks he got from people passing by confirms that his fashion choice was the right one. The walk to the park is lovely, the breeze is just the right amount of crisp without being too cold. He surveys the area as he draws closer to his destinations.

The homes are large, mansions compared to Taehyung and Jimin’s tiny, barely there apartment. The streets are clean, not an ounce of trash anywhere to be seen. He bets they have weekly garbage retrieval. Such luxuries are not afforded where he lives. Taehyung’s happy he’s wearing the outfit he has on. He may not belong here, but at least he looks like he does.

Stopping at the entrance, he checks the sign to be sure he’s at the correct spot. Ellicott Island Bark Park is what the wooden plaque hanging from the ornate gates reads. Even their dog park is fancy, Taehyung thinks to himself as he walks through the chrome entrance. Scratch that. The dog park is beautiful and spacious, filled with large looming trees of every caliber. The Fall foliage adds to the magnificence and splendor of the park. The leaves are brilliant oranges and yellows, hanging from trees and littering the ground. Taehyung can’t help the smile on his face as he trots through the park, crunching leaves under his heels as he goes. It reminds him of his childhood. He genuinely wishes he had his paints and brushes, or even just the simple sketch pad and pencil he usually travels with. Today, given the nature of the date, he opted to leave them at home, and now he regrets the decision.

Taehyung continues to stroll, not quite sure what to do next. They set the meeting place and time but not much else. There’s a bench to his left, and he decides to sit for a bit enjoy the scenery as he waits. Owners and their pups are in various forms of play; some are jogging, other pets are just sitting by their owners, head in their lap, enjoying the sun. In contrast, others are engaged in what can only be described as very aggressive games of fetch. One day when he’s in a financially stable place, Taehyung thinks to himself, he’d like to have a puppy of his own.

An adorable toy poodle with the shiniest brown coat trots in Taehyung’s direction and sits by his feet. He’s so taken with the pup at first that it takes him a bit to realize that he’s seen the dog somewhere before.

“Hi, there little guy,” he greets, reaching down to pet the animal’s soft fur. “Aren’t you the cutest. Why do I feel like I know you, huh?”

“Holly, Min Holly,” a voice that Taehyung knows very, very well calls out from behind him, causing the puppy at his feet to bark.

No ing way!

“Holly, there you are. Why did you run off like th-“ the man stops abruptly, looking up from the puppy to Taehyung. “Oh,” he exclaims.

“I-I, uhm, we-I, yo-, uhm,” Taehyung’s tongued tied, unable to greet the man in any logical way.

“Is this awkward? It is, isn’t it? I’m sorry. I should have said something that day at the café, but then I didn’t know what to say, and I felt stupid and nervous, sigh.” He says it, he actually says sigh, and Taehyung chuckles. It’s cute. He’s cute. “Hello, Taehyung-sshi. It’s nice to officially meet you. My name is Yoongi, Min Yoongi,” Yoongi introduces himself, extending his hand.

“MY. Ahh, so it is your initials,” Taehyung muses mostly to himself, returning the handshake after finding his voice. “Nice to officially meet you, too.”

“So, uhm, since you’re here and I’m here and Holly needs to run, do you maybe wanna go for a stroll around the park? You can ask all your questions and see if this is maybe something you’d be interested in?” There something in Yoongi’s tone, something Taehyung’s trying to place. Hope, maybe? He’s not sure.

“Mmm, yes please. This place is lovely. I’m so sad I didn’t bring a sketch pad. I would love to just sit and draw,” Taehyung tells him.

“Oh, you’re an artist?” Yoongi asks and seems genuinely interested.

“Yes, I live the struggling art student life. You might even call me the cliché,” Taehyung admits with a choked laugh.

“I’d love to see your work sometime. My company has an art sponsorship program. I own a tech company,” Yoongi offers a bit of information on himself.

“Oh, really, which one?” Taehyung inquires. “Wait, wait, nooo, don’t tell me MY TECH is your company? The whole MY on your coffee makes total sense now. It’s not just your initials, but your brand.”

“Guilty,” Yoongi says with a gummy smile.

If smiles could kill, Taehyung would be six feet under by now, buried with a smile of his own on his face. It would be a good death.

“No ing way. , sorry. Damn it, —, Taehyung, stop it,” he scolds himself. “Sorry for cursing. I love your art software. Granted I don’t own a copy, I can’t really afford it, but my school has the programs so we can use it for free, and god, it’s some of the best art tools I’ve ever used. Like, the navigations are so smooth and user friendly. It really is amazing. You have to be an artist yourself to have created something like this.”

“Thank you, that’s a great compliment. Not an artist, really, but I love photography. I had a friend growing up whose little brother was/is an incredible artist. Like, the kid can draw anything. I designed the program with him in mind,” Yoongi tells him.

“Ahh, sounds like my squatter Kookie, he’s an amazing artist, too. Photography is art as well, though.”

“Squatter?” Yoongi looks truly confused, and Taehyung laughs at the look on the man’s face.

“Long story. Maybe I’ll tell you sometime.”

“Can I ask you a question?” Yoongi’s demeanor changes somewhat, and Taehyung knows things are about to take a serious turn.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter