Enough

A Grain of Salt
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Flying through a dark forest at a high speed was definitely a very strange feeling to Minji. Even though she was in a dream, the feeling was as strong as if she was actually there with the dead girl...if she was actually dead. She didn't know what forest she was even in, but knew that it was the same one she had been chased in the night before. Being in the grip of the other girl was terrifying and slightly painful, but it was too late to let go and she wasn't about to even try, if it meant that she would find out what was happening.

 

They didn't stay in the woods for very long, coming to a clearing with a young man she recognized as her father standing in a white stone temple. Slowing down, the girl in the white wrappings released Minji's wrist and allowed her to go see what was going on. The man was holding a baby, his face drawn and pale with distress. 

 

"You may take her if you really need to, and there isn't any other way, but if there's a way to save her, I'll do anything," the young king pleaded with the dark entity in front of him.

 

The entity turned towards him, its eyes glowing white as it stared at him. "There is only one way. A life must be traded, so you may tell me who to trade her life for and I will grant it," Lifting a hand of its scarlet robe, the entity began to reach out for the king. "You may take her place instead, and it will be a fair trade. You will have a fit ruler for your kingdom, and you will be gone from this life and erased from any following."

 

The king took a step back at that announcemet, shaking his head. "I cannot do that. She will never be fit to rule Silverspier, and I would rather let you take her than to let that happen." Minji bit her lip hearing that, knowing that if that was true, it was the reason her father had always tried to marry her off instead of teaching her to rule. It also showed that he valued his kingdom over her life. She could feel tears welling up in her eyes with that realization, feeling as if she was just as worthless as he had always made her feel. 

 

"I do know of another option, but that child will not be born until late Summer of this next year," the entity held out its hand to the king, inviting him to take the offer. "If you take my hand, I will make the trade, and you will keep both your daughter and the kingdom." 

 

The king stared down at his dying daughter, knowing that it would be easier to simply allow the entity to take her. "Alright. I will do it. You may take this other child that is yet to be born in her place." 

 

The entity nodded, its satin cloak swaying as it did so. "Alright. It is done," it said, reaching out to touch the baby on her head. The grey tint to her skin disappeared and she began to breath more easily. "You have your daughter back, and this other child will never see life, as he will never be born." 

 

Minji could feel hot tears rolling down her cheeks unchecked, and she tried to concentrate on the rest of the deal. She wanted to know what had happened between then and now that had caused her father to become such a tyrant, but before she knew what was happening, the girl grabbed her arm and pulled her off to another place.

 

This time it was a green, lush pasture with a shining white castle in the distance. "This was your home. It was where you lived your entire life...and cheated death," the girl turned to her, reaching her hand up to unwrap to bandages. Minji was curious about who she was, but felt a strong rush of terror as the girl suddenly laughed and grabbed her arm instead, squeezing it as she brought out a knife from her belt. "You thought you had cheated death, when all I had to do was get close enough to touch you," Minji could recognize the voice now as her own. still unsure of what was going on or how to get out of it. "Now you will pay for it." 

 

"No," a deep male voice she recognized spoke from somewhere behind them, as a hand reached out to grab the girl in the wrappings and pull her away from Minji. 

 

"You cannot do this, boy," the girl who had just attacked Minji uttered the words in an unsteady voice. "This was how it was supposed to happen all along. Let go of me," she said, reaching back to cut his face. Unable to reach high enough, she caught his neck, narrowly missing his windpipe. The knife cut through his skin as he cried out in pain, lunging forward to try and push her to the ground. Changing his mind at the last moment, he reached for Minji instead, grabbing her arm in desperation. 

 

 

Minji awoke shaking, feeling as if she had just fought a fierce battle. Feeling as if

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter