Kim Yongsun

THE GLOOMY HER

An hour earlier…

 

“I’m sorry. Did I scares you?” he asked.

 

Worry that you scares me? You should be.

 

He’s lucky I was tired and a little bit off. He would have end up with a broken wrist or a nosebleed or even worst end up laying on the floor unconscious.

 

“No.” I shakes my head.

 

I follows him and heads to the big white L-shaped sofa, stepping on the white thick and fluffy carpet which was very comfortable to step on and as soon as my touches the sofa cushion and felt its warmth, the worn out slowly fading away. I had to fight myself to leans back and close my eyes for such comfort.

 

He sat himself across me in between a glass coffee table.

 

We didn’t said a word as he keep on staring at me. Shocks and amused written all over his face. I let him be, I’m aware of as why he’s behaving that way.

 

After a few moment of silent, he clears his throat realizing that he’s been staring to long.

 

“I…I’m sorry…it’s just that…you looks so much likes her. I…I have seen your photo…but seeing you now in person…I…I” he started stammering nervously. 

 

I didn’t response. I remain silent.

 

It sad. It’s hurt. I know. Losing someone you love is hard. But as an undercover agent, especially dealing with the victim’s families or the criminals themselves I need to remind myself not to show emotions. I am a straight arrow. That’s how I’ve been taught. Show any emotion and your will end up on morgue slab faster than you could snaps your fingers. To show your emotion is like showing your weakness to your enemy.

 

I noticed that he was holding a brown envelop. As he took note that my eyes lands on the envelop he slowly places them on the table and slid it towards me.

 

“This is the person that I promise. She is really reliable. She’s our top student. Also our student council’s President and tutoring team leader”

 

He clears his throat before he continues, “I believe she will be really helpful for you. She knows everyone in school. Just like your team leader requested. She’s going to be the one tutoring you. She is a nice kid I hope you would treat her nicely. And there are also a few people that you need to know.”

 

I nods as I glance at the envelop. I have no desire to read them right now. My heads is killing me, I still felt the jet lag after having flown for thirteen hours straight, not to mention all the chaos I faced to get here. The last thing I wanna do now is reading some students biography.

 

“I see.” I manage to say as my mind tell him, if that’s all please leave.

 

He continues, “Oh there will be a cook that will stop by for breakfast, lunch and dinner”.

 

No thank you, I hates strangers coming in and out freely. I will tell the cook later.

 

He keeps going as he got up on his feet, “once a week there will be someone that will be here to keep this place clean”, he walks over to the front door.

 

I got up and follows him from behind. I don’t need that either. I’m not a messy person. I know how to clean. This man starting to get really annoying and im so close of kicking him out and slam the door in front of his face but I keep remind myself this apartment belongs to him.

 

“If you need me just call me. You already have my numbers. I will makes myself available for you” he remind me as he open the door and walks out.

 

I need you to leave.

 

“I will” I nods.

 

As soon as he walks away I hurriedly lock the door. And sets my phone on silence. Im so exhausted and I feels like dying. One more interruption I will flip everything upside down no matter how tired I am right now. I need a break. And a drink. So I heads to the fridge.

 

As I stood there I opened the three doors fridge, a gasped escapes my mouth as the fridge filled with the supermarket’s finest gifts to a bachelorhood. You name it. All kind of soda drinks. Fresh fruits and vegetables, milks, eggs, and many more. It’s like a whole supermarket in here.

 

I took out a bottle of water, gulping down the mineral water in one go as I took a peak in the kitchen cabinet to find more food been stuffed inside.

 

Feeling a little refresh as I toss the empty bottle into the bin. I walk over to my room.

 

Wow.

 

The bedroom was bigger than the entire floor of my old rent house. A hand-craved, four-poster bed dominated one side of the room. I the sheets, a luxury cotton bedding I had never imagined to have seen or own even for a short time.

 

Another immense, flat screen TV hung suspended on the wall. There was a roomy seating area, with leather chairs, table edged with gold. I guess that’s where she studies.

 

There are two doors inside the room. One door I can easily tell its where im heading to take shower later. I heads to the other door to open it only to find out that it’s the walk-in closet. It was larger than my old bedroom. Dozens of school uniforms and more for every conceivable mood and season, waited on hangers. There were so many pairs of shoes from many brands that I know I couldn’t afford with my own salary. I could’ve worn a different pair every day for three months without rotating them. And there’s also a drawer full of caps and many other accessories.   

 

Into the master bath. Tons of space. Polished tiles. Marble counters. A shower stall so roomy you could practice somersault inside of it.

 

Time for shower I told myself.

 

Minutes later I’m all done in my grey sweatpants and black shirt, drying my hair with the towel. Nicely hang the towel before I heads to the bed.

 

It’s just 6 pm. Time to sleep.

 

Slowly I crawl up to the middle of the bed to lay down only to be startle by a beeping sound. I sit up, looking around the room to see where the sound coming from. I finally figured its coming from the phone on the table next to the bed. I sigh. What now. I let the phone ring and just took my time getting to the phone.

 

“Yes?” I answered.

 

I heard a man introduced himself as the security guard from the other line. He told me that I have a visitor.

 

“This is irritating” I blur out as I start massaging my temple.

 

“Tell them to leave” I firmly said before I end the call.

 

Why is it so hard for me to have a peaceful time to myself? I grunt to myself.

 

I lay down closing my eyes hoping that finally I can sleep. But no, the doorbell had to ring. The doorbell continued to ring with annoying persistence. The doorbell rang again, two more times and more insistently. Exasperated, I hurriedly to get off the bed, heads to the front door, ready to give the person a piece of her mind. I yanked open the door and a stranger scowling face greeted me. Her arms crossed over her chest.

 

A man standing behind her, the security guard looking pale and all sweaty giving me an apology bows and hurriedly leave us.

 

“Finally” the stranger trudged in wearing the same uniform I saw earlier in the closet.

 

A classmate? No my classmates all should be graduate. A junior I’m close?

 

“Why are you here?” I try to acts as if I know her.

 

I close the door and face her who already walks over to the sofa. I follows her from behind, she was scanning around the room. Then her eyes landed on the envelope I left on the coffee table. I casually walks over to kitchen table top and hops on the stools. “Im talking here”

 

She turns around and face me.

 

Round face. Mochi cheeks. Mole on her upper right eye. Long dark brown hair. Height about 163 cm and weight probably around 45 kg. Slim body type. I noted as I scanned her from head to toes.

 

“I am your tutor. Kim Yongsun.”

 

She took a step closer to me and she looks direct into my eyes, “You are coming to school starting tomorrow. Stop troubling your uncle anymore. You hear me…” then her eyes slowly shift to my right arm. Her eyes goes wide a little before its find mine. She gulps and try to continue before I cuts her.

 

“Okay” I said.

 

“Sorry” She blinks at me.

 

“I said I will go. Anything else?” I got up on my feet towering her.

 

(Author note: let’s makes our byulie tall in this story okay? Like 10 cm taller. Let’s makes her dream come true even :P)

 

She looks up at me taking a step back, “O…okay. See…see you tomorrow in the class.” she ducks her head and hurriedly walks to the front door, “You better not be lying or I will drags you out from this apartment myself”, she warns before she walks out off the door.

 

I chuckles to myself.

 

I turns and head to the coffee table and opens the envelope. Rummage through the piles of papers spreading it on the coffee table. There is it.

 

A two pages paper clip together. Print with all information about her.

 

Kim Yongsun.