More Than Meets The Eye

A Comedy of Errors

Yuju wasn’t sure how to deal with one Jung Yerin, but the woman was persistent, and cousin to the cutest lady she had ever seen, so she gave in again, for the umpteenth time on their trip.

Were she travelling alone, or with just SinB, Yuju would have gone on horseback and ridden at a fast pace, enough to shorten a five day journey by carriage to two days or less, with a change of mounts along the way. But here she was with someone who was more lady than she and SinB ever would be, and she couldn’t in good conscience make a lady ride ten hours a day.

Hell, even more than a couple of hours at a trot would be ruinous to an untrained backside. She had learned that ages ago, when SinB decided it was an extremely bright idea to sneak off with one of the guard patrols dispatched to the border. As a loyal servant, Yuju simply just had to follow orders and make sure her master didn’t get hurt. It really wasn’t her place to correct SinB’s whims as it were.

Granted, on hindsight, the patrol probably figured out their identity less than a day in, but the count was known to be very lenient on his youngest daughter, and so everyone mutually agreed to just let SinB do as she wished. Yuju had noticed a doubling of the guard around them when they were on the march, but wisely chose not to comment.

That had been an educational experience overall, and Yuju wasn’t sure if her own father regretted sending her off to serve the young mistress of the estate. Then again, the old man was busy training the guard, and as far as she was aware, he had been somewhat disappointed that she hadn’t been born a boy instead. Waste of a perfectly good sword arm on a lass, he would grumble, even as she picked up the basics from him. But she knew he was proud of her anyway. 

She was probably due to write another letter home, now that she thought about it. SinB might have thought that they ran out without permission, but Yuju knew better than to really leave without letting the count know what they were up to. SinB might not get into that much trouble for running off, but she wasn’t exempt from punishment. 

“Penny for your thoughts?” Yerin shifted from where she was practically cuddled against Yuju’s side. The tall squire-in-training blinked slowly, and suppressed a sigh. They had hired a carriage, and Yuju had volunteered to drive it herself, having had some experience with the task before. Normally, you would expect the passenger to stay inside, but Yerin wanted to see the road, and was thus squeezed in next to her on the driver’s seat. 

She wondered what it would have been like to have Eunha there with her instead, but dismissed the thought almost as quickly; she couldn’t let her lady brave the cold and the travails of the road with her. It would be enough that she made the trip to get her those snacks, and if Yerin wanted to suffer the journey with her, it was her own choice. 

Still, habit made it second nature for Yuju to try and make the trip as comfortable as she could for her companion. She didn’t have much experience with actual ladies in general, since the only woman of rank out on the estate where she grew up had been SinB, and well, SinB was possibly the furthest thing from the definition of a lady she could imagine. The count’s wife had been quite a character herself, or so her father said, but she had been young when the countess passed away, and she suspected if SinB had more time to spend with her mother, she probably wouldn’t have turned out like...that.

“Just considering how much further we can go before I rest and water the horses. Are you feeling unwell? I can stop earlier if need be.” Yuju was unfailingly polite, and observant to boot. She had set a fairly fast pace from the start, wanting to complete the errand as quickly as possible, but the swaying of the carriage could be uncomfortable at speed. It simply wouldn’t do if Yerin fell ill on the way, after all.

“You really can’t wait to please my dear cousin, hm?” Yerin raised an eyebrow, her unflinching gaze making Yuju avert her eyes after a second or two of contact. The honest squire scratched awkwardly at her head.

“She’s...very different from other ladies I’ve seen. Very...pure.” There was a shine in Yuju’s eyes as she spoke of Eunha, as if the heiress was the most amazing girl she had ever met. How much of that was the potion, Yerin couldn’t tell, but she simply arched an eyebrow at the evidently lovestruck Yuju.

“What about me? What do you think of me then?” Probably not the best question to ask of a potion-addled person, but Yerin had since figured out that the only way to get any answers out of Yuju was to ask her directly. Subtlety seemed to elude the taller girl, and as fun as it was to tease and poke fun at the easily shy young woman, sometimes she just wanted an answer.

 “You?” Yuju seemed confused, her thoughts written clearly on her face as they slowed down in response to the sudden question. Yerin waited patiently, having gotten a handle on the younger girl in the last few days they had been travelling together. Yuju was a sweetheart, but terribly dense. Yerin sighed to herself. She enjoyed the girl’s company, even under the influence of the potion, and wondered how different it would be once it did wear off.

“You’re nice. Funny. I like spending time with you.” Yuju grinned goofily. “Pretty too, I like the dress you wore when we first met.” A pause, then more slowly. “I’ve never worn a dress, don’t know how either...never seemed very important before…”

Yerin’s eyes softened at the earnest response from Yuju, reaching up to pat the other girl’s head like she was an oversized puppy. Yuju seemed confused, but let her get away with it. Yerin tucked a stray strand of hair behind Yuju’s ear, regarding the boyish young woman thoughtfully.

“We’ll have to dress you up some time. You’re pretty too, seems a shame to hide it the way you do.” Not that the male clothes really detracted from the beauty in Yerin’s opinion, but she was rather curious to see a different side of Yuju if possible.

“Really?” Soft, doe eyes blinked lazily at her, and Yerin resisted the urge to the impossibly long eyelashes. She had known from a young age that she wasn’t particularly attracted to men, but she hadn't had the chance to explore what that really meant. Yuju’s appearance was making her rethink her options, and it was… interesting.

“You make a pretty boy at a glance, but I’m sure you’ll be even more gorgeous in the right dress. You’re beautiful, Yuju, don’t ever doubt that.” Yerin laced her hands with Yuju’s free one, squeezing it reassuringly. From their on and off conversations since their first meeting, Yerin had surmised that Yuju had been raised like a boy by her father, her mother having passed on during labour when she was born. Born to a servant class, no one had really lavished the kind of attention the younger girl probably craved but didn’t realize she did all this time.

It probably didn’t help that from all the rambunctious stories she shared of her childhood, any sign of her good looks was probably buried under the muck she was likely to find herself covered in, thanks to working hard in the stables or simply being subject to SinB’s whims. 

This latest adventure Yuju had found herself on with her master was probably the first time the girl had cleaned herself up nicely for the journey, if only to make sure SinB didn’t lose face if she looked too shabby. If anything, Yuju didn’t seem to understand why girls on the way kept accosting her -- hell, if she even noticed that they were trying to get her attention to begin with. 

Yuju gazed quietly at Yerin, an awkwardly shy smile creeping onto her face at the compliment. She was used to being invisible in the background as part of the serving class, and even at the border estate where social rules were far more relaxed than they were in the heart of the kingdom, there were still some expectations based on class regardless. 

She was never going to be good enough to match up to the likes of Eunha or Yerin. Even her affection for Eunha was heavily restrained by her own inferiority complex, and she was content to simply serve and protect the woman she was enamoured with. It had never even occurred to her that reciprocation could be a possibility. 

“Thank you,” Yuju didn’t know what else to say in response, turning her eyes back onto the road. Her free hand remained docilely in Yerin’s grip, and Yuju was deeply aware of the layers of calluses on her hands compared to the smooth skin of Yerin’s hands. They were completely different, even if Yerin was kind to her. She was only a servant, and a servant shouldn’t have any expectations of equality from the upper classes.

“You’re as good as anyone I’ve ever met, Yuju. Don’t doubt that.” Yerin’s voice was soft in the lengthening shadows, the sun dipping slowly beneath the horizon. They would need to stop for the night soon. Yuju’s head was hung low, and whether or not she was still listening, Yerin couldn’t be sure. Yerin sighed quietly, leaning against the stiffly stubborn girl.

It was going to take a long time to wear through Yuju’s shell, but she was willing to try. Good things were worth the effort, and Yuju was a diamond in the rough. Worth the investment, and Yerin was a merchant’s daughter. The young woman’s eyes sparkled in the encroaching dark.

She was going to get through to her beautiful girl, one way or another. What would life be like without a challenge? Boring, that’s what it would be. Yerin grinned to herself, and Yuju continued on, unaware of the wolf draped in sheep’s clothing next to her. 

It was going to be an interesting trip.