Outfoxed

A Comedy of Errors

It is a complicated feeling, Sojung finds, when your fiancee is flirting with you while you are not currently presenting your real identity as her fiance. 

Does it really count as cheating if the person she is technically cheating with is actually her “husband”? Sojung wonders with a bemused frown, partially pleased that Eunha seemed to think well of her, but also somewhat concerned that Eunha seemed entirely unbothered by her engagement status with the Duke. Who was also actually her.

But Eunha didn’t know that, and Sojung finds it increasingly difficult to just tell the young woman her true identity. What had begun as a harmless cover for her to approach her fiancee on equal terms was now deeply awkward in light of how strongly Eunha felt about the marriage. Eunha’s evident distaste for the Duke she has never met was surprisingly strong, and Sojung wasn’t sure how to feel about that either. 

Would Eunha transfer her cold attitude to her upon finding out that she was the Duke? Sojung didn’t want to risk that, not when they were on speaking terms now, after spending several pleasant days getting to know each other.

Her fiancee was positively adorable, and Sojung was growing more pleased with the match by the day. Her family had never arranged any kind of marriages for her prior to their untimely demise, and Sojung had always been free to love as she would. It was a luxury most noble families did not afford their children, but she had a competent older brother ready to inherit back then, and only one of them needed to marry for advantage. Her brother had been more than willing to take on the duties of the dukedom, which left Sojung free to do as she pleased.

Of course, that had changed after the attempted coup, and as the last survivor of her bloodline, Sojung had had no choice but to take on a mantle she never really wanted. With it came certain responsibilities, and she no longer had the choice to marry for love like before. The engagement to Eunha had been entirely out of necessity, but Sojung found herself growing fond of her cute button of a fiancee. This was someone she could live with for the rest of her life.

Thus it was with cautious hope which she approached Eunha with, wanting the girl to like her for herself and not just because she had no choice but to submit to the marriage. She had never asked to be Duke, but it was her role now, and while it dismayed her that Eunha seemed chilly to the idea of marrying the Duke, it was with a kind of amused irony that Sojung discovered Eunha seemed to be more interested in her instead.

Out of habit, Sojung was still dressed as a man, an act her advisors had told her to get used to at all times, since they couldn’t quite afford a slip up. It wasn’t completely unheard of for women to inherit, but she was the last of her line, and they feared that her stepping into lordship of one of the three great houses as her actual gender would invite problems of a different kind.

A lack of a male heir meant unless someone was willing to marry into her family, the Baekje Kims were over as a noble house. That was an unforgivable weakness for a powerful clan, and they had enough rivals who were watching closely. Sojung still hadn’t figured out who had set up the coup that had taken her entire family, and she intended to stay alive until she could repay that favour. 

Which meant crossdressing at all times, and remaining on guard for people getting too close to her. Her features were somewhat on the feminine side, but current fashion favoured that look, and dandies were popular among noblewomen. With careful dressing, Sojung could pass as a stylish fop, and even she had been mildly surprised at her own popularity back home at the ducal capital amongst ladies of quality. 

But at least a part of that had been drawn to her newfound title, and if duty hadn’t forced her into that role, she would sooner have been rid of it. Thus, even though Eunha’s disinterest towards the Duke was sort of a problem, a part of Sojung was also relieved. At least her prospective wife wasn’t a golddigger.

Still, it would be nice if she could convince Eunha to go back and get ready to be married. They could only postpone the wedding for so long. And while it was really nice to get away from her duties back home, Sojung knew it wouldn’t last forever. 

As for the problem of an heir, Sojung figured she would just cross that bridge when she got to it. She never even stopped to wonder if Eunha would be amenable to her true identity as a woman, which probably should have been a consideration, but if nothing else, Sojung had some confidence in her own personal charm. Man or woman, it didn’t matter. She liked Eunha well enough, was that not enough?

“Honestly, is it so terrible to marry the Duke?” Sojung interrupts the comfortable silence between them, and Eunha wrinkles her nose at her words. “Most ladies would jump at the chance.”

“Why would I need to marry up anyway? My own estate can fund me comfortably for the rest of my life, and any children I may have, and their children as well.” Eunha shrugs, reaching out to pluck a flower off its branch to sniff at it. “I don’t need to marry someone I don’t even know or like, either for money or status. I like where I’m at now.”

“The Duke’s quite the catch though,” Sojung tries again, even though her lips had curved a little at Eunha’s casual dismissal. Under entirely different circumstances, she would have already liked Eunha as she was. This only cemented her desire to take the girl as her bride. She had seen none like her, and now no one else would do.

“What does he have apart from his title anyway?” Eunha lowers the flower, glancing over at the earnest Sojung standing at a respectful distance from her, like any well bred gentleman would. She smiles winsomely at the tall herald, and is rewarded with a fond uptick at a corner of the messenger’s lips, as if he were trying to suppress his own reaction to her. Eunha smiles to herself. She was sure the young man she was talking to was at least attracted to her, which was great.

It was slightly less great that he seemed so loyal to his lord though. Eunha frowned a little at that, as Sojung continued making a case for the absent Duke.

“Well, his lordship is good-looking,” Sojung says with a straight face, and Eunha quirks her head at ‘him’.

“As good looking as you?” That was about as bold a statement as any Eunha had made, and Sojung visibly stutters for a second, a strange look on her face.

“Well, yes.” Sojung coughs awkwardly into her fist. “Some would say we look a little alike, actually. You wouldn’t be disappointed, I assure you.”

“But he’s not here, and you are.” Eunha steps closer, looking up at the awkward messenger. They were still a couple of paces from each other, but it was less a stranger’s distance now, and more intimate.

“My lady, please…” Sojung stutters again, eye twitching violently. While a part of her welcomed Eunha coming close, they were still out in the open and unmarried. Sojung was a bit old fashioned that way. And maybe a little awkward too, despite her good looks. She had never had a real chance to take advantage of it before being chained into her new role as Duke, and when confronted with someone who seemed to be ignoring the usual social norms, Sojung wasn’t entirely sure where to put her hands or feet in this situation.

It was probably a good thing that she was blessed with an ability to at least appear composed, regardless of how she actually felt inside. Despite being taller than Eunha, she was starting to feel a little trapped by the tiny baroness who was, for all intents and purposes, apparently trying to seduce her. 

Thus it was with a great deal of relief when a great crashing sound rang out in the general direction of the guest quarters, accompanied by Yewon’s voice gasping in shock.

“SinB you’re back?! Are you okay?”

Sowon took the opportunity to step back from Eunha, retreating back to a safe distance and already turning towards the stone hall. Behind her, Eunha pouts, stamping one foot in annoyance, but follows obediently after Sojung to see just what the fuss was about. 

She had enough time left to work on wearing down the shy herald. Eunha clenched a small fist to herself. She wasn’t going to accept her fate so easily. A good Jung never gave up. 

If she was going to marry, it would be to someone she chose, and damn everything else. Eunha looked up at the grey skies, determined.

Nothing and no one was going to stop her from getting what she wanted.