Always Be My Maybe

Always Be My Maybe
Please log in to read the full chapter

Dim moonlight fell through the windows and illuminated the steps that led upwards the Ravenclaw tower. A few candles were burning to help brighten up the way at night but their light barely compared to the full moon outside. Wind rattled on the window frames which created a sound that echoed through the whole tower.

JinYoung hastily took multiple steps at once while also trying to create as little noise as possible. Everytime the wind rattled especially hard on the windows he kept standing still and listened into the silence that followed. His lips were pressed tightly together while he sneakily took a glance down the spiral staircase, freezing by the sight of the smallest shadow that could be lurking downstairs. As well as upstairs. Sweat formed on his forehead while he quickly continued taking step after step.

When the fifth floor finally came into view, he let out an audible sigh and hurried forward. Torches on the fifth floor led him down the well known corridor. With quick steps, he rushed forward. This time not worrying about the sound of his footsteps as a thick carpet muffled them instantly and finally rounded the last corner of his journey. His goal would not be far off now. Only a few more steps and he would stand in front of the door without a doorknob and a keyhole. In fact, most who are not in the house of Ravenclaw probably wouldn’t identify it as a door wouldn’t there be a bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle. The emblem of Ravenclaw.

Hastily, he stepped in front of it which caused the knocker to start speaking: “Will you solve my riddle?”
JinYoung took a deep breath to calm his rapidly beating heart. Unintentionally, he closed his eyes and started to rub his surprisingly cold hands. The movement brought him a bit of warmth which also started to make him relax a little bit. He took in a final deep breath before opening his eyes again.
To his utter surprise, he sounded confident when he demanded to hear the riddle from the knocker. Almost instantly it started to speak again.

“I can grow fast, I can die slow, I can be a joy and pain as you may already know. What am I?”

The knocker fell quiet, giving JinYoung room to answer it’s question. It wasn’t an unusual kind question. It was, however, a tougher riddle to find an answer too. JinYoung gupled, closed his eyes again and softly mumbled the riddle to himself. Tiredly, he rubbed his forehead while thinking hard for a solution. His brilliant mind wandered so far off, that he neither notice the movement nor the footsteps on his right hand side.

A young man who was also wearing blue and bronze moved closer and closer to the fifteen year old. Once he was close enough, the young man laid his arm around JinYoungs shoulder which made the later twitch in shock. His eyes flew open and stared at the young man next to him. He let out a sigh of relief before he let his head fall onto the others shoulder. Playfully, he hit the others arm while he started whispering yelling at the other: “JaeBeom hyung! You scared me! I thought Filch might have caught me. I honestly can’t afford getting another round of detention tonight”

JaeBeom blinked in surprise and pushed JinYoung slightly off of himself so he could have a closer look at the younger.
“Wait! You got detention? How did you manage this miracle to happen? And why was I not there to see that?!?” JaeBeom asked. A mischievous grin appeared on his face while he pulled his friend closer to himself.

JinYoung huffed and rolled his eyes at the comment of his friend.
“Well… let’s just say that studying with BamBam and YuGyeom turned out to be… interesting. It was Snape who busted us… he had no mercy… so the three of us got detention. I have to report to Snape on Monday evening. Not quite sure what he planned for this detention to be tho. I just hope he doesn’t send us into the forest,” JinYoung explained and sighed.

The elder nodded slowly before turning his attention towards the knocker again.
“Well… welcome to the normal student life. Now you can graduate with honor,” JaeBeom smiled which caused JinYoung to wrinkle his nose and playfully push JaeBeom away from him.

“Anyway, it’s not BamBam AND it’s not YuGyeom,” JaeBeom continued which made JinYoung look at the elder in confusion. JaeBeom, who noticed that the younger wasn’t getting what he was referring to simply nodded towards the knocker.
“It’s not the answer. I tried,” he explained further, which made JinYoung shake his head in disbelief. However, a soft smile still found its way to the corner of his lips.

“You seriously thought that BamBam and YuGyeom were the answer?” JinYoung asked to which JaeBeom smiled proudly.
“Well, I tried 'Brat' at first but that wasn’t the answer either. I didn’t care too much though as the light over there is actually pretty okay to read”

It was only then when JinYoung noticed the bright yellow book with dark blue pages in JaeBeom’s left hand. This book looked slightly thicker than his last read. Both books, however, had looked strange compared to the usual school books they carried around all day long. None of the books in the library had this many bright colours on them. His hyung's books were muggle books.

Without hesitation grabbed JinYoung the yellow book to have a closer look at it. He always had been interested in what the elder was reading. However, he had never picked up a book like that to read it himself. All he knew was that his hyung enjoyed them and constantly got them from his muggle parents, who had bought an owl for exactly that purpose (and of course to send their son an occasional letter).

“Frankly in Love… This sounds like a different kind of story you usually read,” JinYoung said slowly while reading the short description on the inside of it.
“It… is,” JaeBeom hesitantly agreed and took the book back with a bashful smile.
“Well… I tried to get into more genres and learn more things so…” JaeBeom continued while tightening his grip on the yellow book in his hands.

“Learning, huh?” JinYoung said and began to smirk. “Any reasons why you want to learn about fake dating then?”
JaeBeom smiled softly to look unmoved, however, his hands were telling another story. His hold on the yellow book got so strong that the knuckles of his fingers started to turn white. JinYoung watched the elders hand with the biggest amusement before he decided to release him from his suffering. Softly, he laid a hand on his hyung’s and smiled a warm and soft smile that only a handful of carefully selected people got to see on him.

“It’s okay, hyung. I’m just teasing you,” JinYoung said and winked mischievously “Just a tip; don’t fake date. Your basically wasting your energy when you do that. Relationships...”
JinYoung suddenly stopped and fell silent for a while. JaeBeom wrinkled his brows while watching his friend before gently nudging him to bring him back from wherever his mind had wandered off to. Quickly, JinYoung blinked to focus on JaeBeom before he began to grin widely.

“I got it!” he yelled before instantly clapping a hand over his mouth as he realized that he should be quiet around this time of hour if he did not want to get caught by Filch and his loyal cat Mrs. Norris.
“Got what? You spaced out,” JaeBeo

Please log in to read the full chapter