MELLIFLUOUS

Finding Meaning
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MELLIFLUOUS

(adj) a sound that is sweet and smooth, pleasing to hear

 

 

 

 

 

Tzuyu is busy roaming to her new school after their class. She just wanted to be familiar with everything in their school. She started at the canteen. Looking to the variety of food and front of her; making sure if those are healthy. Then she looks for comfort room because it is important; just in case. After that, she went to the school's library and look for some books that is familiar to her. Her last destination was the school's old building for their music is there.

 

Ever since, she had planned to join the music department since she wasn't able to do so when she was in Taiwan because she is a shy person and she wanted to change that by joining the music club.

 

Since she was 7 years old, she learned how to play acoustic guitar and piano. She wanted to show the world what she can do. Ever since, music is her companion. Music is everything for her. Music is the only one that keeps her sane.

 

The exact spot of music department is on the last room. And before you can go there, you have to walk through the dim hallways of the old building. The old building contains of 3 floors and each floor has 5 rooms. They made the building as the dormitory of students but there are rumors that the entire building is filled with ghosts so they never use the building again. Well, except the music club. People believe that the members of music club are the bravest of all. No one even wanted to put their single foot in the building's floor except them.

 

Well, that is not her. She's not afraid of ghosts. She's more afraid of humans. Humans are scary and harmful. They can say simple words but still hurt you. They can do simple things that can leave you feeling broken. And the way they stare can make you anxious.

 

She slowly walked towards the old building, and she wouldn't lie that she felt cold aura when she first laid her feet on the ground floor of the building. But she shrugged of the thoughts and continued walking.

 

When she is in front of a room before the music room, she heard a sound; every beautiful sound, a mellifluous sound from a piano that's being played.

 

She felt her heart pounded; not with a thought of ghosts but with the sound. There is something in the way how the pianist plays the piano. It is because of the emotion and passion. Like the pianist is longing for very long years to play piano again; to play that song again.

 

She slowly takes steps towards the last room. As she gets near and near the room, the sound becomes louder and more beautiful.

 

She takes another three steps to get in front of the door. She slowly closes her eyes and feels the beautiful melody even more.

 

After a minute, the song finally ended. And because of the desire to hear the song again, she didn't notice her hand slowly move on its own and held on the door knob.

 

She takes a gulp before turning the knob. But before she could even push the door someone tapped her on her back.

 

She instantly turned around and found a shorter girl in front of her.

 

She stared at the person who is staring back at her with a wide smile.

 

"What do you need?" She wasn't sure if she said that in a rude manner but she knows in herself that she is a little frustrated because she wasn't able to open the door and see the pianist.

 

"Hi, I am Chaeyoung." The small girl waves her hand.

 

"I am Tzuyu." She mumbled; looking down at the girl.

 

"What are you doing here?" Chaeyoung asked curiously.

 

"I was... uh..." She paused. "I was just roaming around; trying to get familiar with our school since I'm a transfer student." She explained; and wondering why is she explaining herself to a complete stranger.

 

Chaeyoung nods her head with a smile; showing her deep dimples. "I know. I have been following you ever since. And we our classmates."

 

She stared at the girl suspiciously. "Oh, okay."

 

"I listened to your introduction earlier and I remember that said you play guitar and piano." Chaeyoung admitted.

 

She nodded shyly. "Ah yeah,"

 

"You want to join the music club?" Cheyoung asked her again.

 

"Yes," She answered.

 

"Have you heard about the rumor about this building yet?" Chaeyoung asked and scooted closer to her.

 

She twitched her eyes. "You mean the ghosts thing?"

 

Chaeyoung nods repeatedly. "Yes,"

 

She shrugged her shoulders. "I don't really believe in that."

 

"Really?" Chaeyoung stared at her in awe.

 

She slowly nods her head. "Yes,"

 

Suddenly, the quiet atmosphere got broken with the shorter girl's sudden outburst. "YEHEY! I FINALLY FOUND MY MATE!" She said happily as she started to jump up and down.

 

She looked at the girl; thinking if is this girl crazy or what? "What? I'm sorry?" She asked; totally confused.

 

"I really wanted to join music club but my friends don't want to go with me." Chaeyoung said and then pouted.

 

She wrinkled her eyebrows. "And? Why is that?"

 

Chaeyoung gestured for her to lower her head in which she complied.

 

"We are all afraid of ghosts." Chaeyoung confessed.

 

"Okay," She said; still confuse what Chaeyoung is trying to say to her.

 

"You see Tzuyu," Chaeyoung paused to take a deep breath before continuing. "If you are a new member of the club, you should be the one to open and close the music room every practice and practice ends in 7 PM and that's scary as hell!" She loudly exclaimed.

 

"Then?" She asked again; still confuse where this is leading.

 

"I wouldn't be alone when closing the music room at night!" Chaeyoung happily exclaimed.

 

She nods her head; finally understanding what Chaeyoung meant by everything. "Okay,"

 

"You know, you're so boring!" Chaeyoung suddenly hit her harshly in her arm." Try to talk more okay?"

 

"I'll try." She nods; rubbing the spot where Chaeyoung hit her.

 

"You really should since we're friends now." Chaeyoung declared.

 

"Okay," She mumbled. That's great. She has a friend now.

 

"Let's go home for now, it's near 8 PM." Chaeyoung said and then suddenly walked; leaving Tzuyu.

 

"But I haven't looked inside the music room yet." She said, pointing at the music room.

 

"You cannot enter for now since it is locked." Chaeyoung explained; 5 meters away from her.

 

She wrinkled her eyebrows. "What?"

 

Chaeyoung walked back to her. "The only two persons who have the keys to that room is the president of the music club and the janitress and the janitress is absent today."

 

She wrinkled her eyebrows even more. "But I just--" She tried to explain but Chaeyoung cut her off.

 

"Come on! Let's go now!" The shorter girl said and then pulled Tzuyu along with her.

 

"Okay," She mumbled; without forgetting to spare a single glance to the door of music room.

 

She was able to turn the knob earlier right? And show as that playing the piano if the door is locked? Is that a ghost?

 

'Of course not,' She said to herself as she lay down in her bed that same day before sleep took her away; still remembering the melody in her head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, she went to the school one hour before class because she is planning to register to join the music club. She gives her registration form to the president of the music club. Inside the paper were her full name, age, section, course and the instruments that she knows how to play.

 

The whole process took only ten minutes and the president finally gave her the key to the music room.

 

"You can open the music room anytime you want and you can also leave it open but you have to make sure that before you go home it is closed. You can use everything inside the music room. Well, except the violin there, that belongs to the Witch; Nayeon." Jeongyeon advised with a small chuckle which Tzuyu didn't get at all.

 

She just smiled and nods. "Thank you. I will surely do what you said to me."

 

"Welcome to the music club Chou Tzuyu!" Jeongyeon exclaimed happily and then gave Tzuyu a white paper.

 

"Just Tzuyu please," She requested which Jeongyeon agreed.

 

"What is this?" She asked as she scans the paper.

 

"That's our schedule for practices and performances for the entire year." Jeongyeon explained with hand movements.

 

"Okay, I got to go now." She bid her goodbye.

 

"Yep, see you around." Jeongyeon smiled at her which she smiled in return.

 

She slowly turns herself and then walked towards the old building where the music room is located. He keeps on walking towards the last room and when she got there, she immediately puts the key on the keyhole.

 

When she finally opened the door, she saw variety of musical instruments; from brass, percussion, woodwind and string. But, what really caught her attention was the grand piano on the right corner of the room. It was a black grand piano that looks 5-year old.

 

She slowly walked towards the said piano and then runs her hand on the wood structure of the piano. She opens the cover of it and then slowly moves her fingers on the keys. After a while, she sat down on the chair in front of the grand piano. She slowly hit few notes; remembering the most recent song that she learned to play on the piano. It was Yiruma's River Flows in You. She had always liked that song, though she only tried to learn it a month ago.

 

(I can play it in guitar in fingerstyle but I forgot the chords now lol. And I am bad at keyboards lol. I prefer guitar than keyboard/piano. Do you guys play musical instruments too?)

 

She closes her eyes as she start to feel involve at the rhythm of the music.

 

She suddenly paused when she remember the music she heard yesterday. She felt her heart rise a bit and she doesn't know why. Was it because remembering the mellifluous sound or was it because of the thought of the ghost inside the exact room where she is right now? Of course, the latter wasn't the answer.

 

She started to hit some notes and guess the right keys in the piano. She got some right but not at all; not like the way the person played the music.

 

She didn't realize that it was five minutes left before their first subject; not when until she heard her phone beeped. She slowly get it from her pocket and her eyes widened seeing the time; 7:55.

 

Now, she has to run her out before their terror teacher comes in.

 

She immediately gets her bag on the floor near the drum set and then ran out of the room. She closes the door but forgot to lock it; not that she really mind since Jeongyeon said that it is okay to leave it open.

 

"Miss Chou, good morning." Their teacher said with sarcasm.

 

"Ah... G-good morning Miss." She greets back; almost out of breath.

 

"Mind telling me why are you late?" She asked with a serious face.

 

Of course, Tzuyu being Tzuyu, she didn't think of any reason out, she just said the fact. "No explanation Miss, I was just an irresponsible student for a minute." She admitted.

 

Their teacher gave her a sarcastic smile as her classmates watch her from inside of the room. "Glad you know."

 

"I'm sorry." She immediately apologized as she lowered her head.

 

"Come in now." Their teacher ordered.

 

"Thank you." She silently mumbled before entering their room and then taking a seat on her chair beside Chaeyoung.

 

"Why are you late? What happened? Where were you earlier?" Chaeyoung asks continuously the moment she takes a seat beside her.

 

"I'm sorry; I didn't realize that I spent too much time inside the music room." She admitted as she put her bag on the floor in front of her.

 

"What!? You went to the music room!? How!?" Chaeyoung suddenly exclaimed making their classmates and teacher look at her with death glare.

 

"Miss Son, Miss Chou didn't come late today just so you can talk to her about your nonsense shenanigans." The teacher said with a serious tone.

 

"I'm sorry Miss!" Chaeyoung apologized and then faced Tzuyu again. "So what really happened? How did you get inside the music room?" She continued to ask but this time, with lower tone and calmer voice.

 

"I registered earlier today and Jeongyeon gave me the key." She admitted and then faced their teacher; trying to listen to her discussion with the midget beside her asking questions after questions.

 

"What!? You registered without telling me?" Chaeyoung loudly exclaimed; again.

 

"Miss Son, last warning and you will get out of my class." Their teacher warned again.

 

"I'm sorry Miss." And Chaeyoung apologized again.

 

"You didn't really tell me, why?" Chaeyoung asked as she looked at the focused Tzuyu.

 

Tzuyu looked down at her. "Why would I tell you?" Seriously though, why would she tell her about that?

 

"I told you yesterday that I will also join the music club." Chaeyoung said and then twitched her eyes at Tzuyu.

 

"Okay, what is has to do with me though?" She asked with wrinkled brows.

 

Chaeyoung suddenly pouted. "Tzuyu, I thought we were friends."

 

Tzuyu looked at her with disgust. She doesn't like acting cute in front of anyone or anymore acting cute in front of her. "Yeah, you told me yesterday that we were."

 

"You shouldn't leave a friend behind." Chaeyoung said as she continues to pout.

 

Tzuyu immediately turned her head away. "I'm sorry. I will with you to the registration office if you want."

 

Chaeyoung shook her head. "No, I can just go there alone. In fact, it is not on the old building so it's okay."

 

She nods her head. "Okay,"

 

"You didn't felt anything there?" Again, Chaeyoung asked random question; again!

 

She wrinkled her eyebrows. "Felt what?"

 

"Like cold wind? Or cold presence?" Chaeyoung asked as she moved closer to Tzuyu when she saw their teacher is throwing a glance at her.

 

She slowly shook her head. "No, why would I feel those things?"

 

Chaeyoung sighed and then rolled her eyes. "Right, you don't believe in ghosts so you probably don't see them either."

 

"Do I have to see them?" She asked; confused.

 

Chaeyoung immediately shook her head. "No, no one wants to see them at all."

 

"Okay," She mumbled and then focused on listening to their teacher again as the girl beside her is busy humming and writing down some lyrics if she may guess.

 

 

 

 

 

"I will go to the registration office now. See you later!" Chaeyoung said to her when their 3rd subject ended. Meaning, it is their lunch break already.

 

She just nods her head before turning around and then walking opposite way off her friend; to the cafeteria.

 

Suddenly, she heard a soft voice in front of her. "Excuse me,"

 

She slowly moves her gaze away from her food and then looked at the girl. "Are you talking to me?" She asked; wanting to make sure that she is really talking to her.

 

The girl nods her head. "Yes,"

 

"Okay, what do you need?" Tzuyu asked with a soft voice; not planning to offend the girl in somewhat way; not that she can say anything though. That was the only thing that came to her head. What would she say?

 

"Can I sit with you?" The girl asked.

 

"Uh... sure," She nods her head and then adjusted her plate so the girl can place her plate peacefully on the table.

 

"Actually, I am not here just to sit with you." The girl suddenly admitted after 3 minutes of silence between the two of them.

 

She nods her head; confused. "Okay,"

 

"I have to give you this." The girl said and then pulled out a small piece of paper in her pocket.

 

"And why would you give me a letter?" She asked, looking at the paper on the girl's hand.

 

"No, I mean, it wasn't for you at all. It was for Chaeyoung." The girl explained as she blushed.

 

"You mean, Chaeyoung, my classmate?" She asked for assurance.

 

The girl nods her head. "Yeah,"

 

"Okay," She said and then gets the paper on the girl's hand.

 

"I like her." The girl suddenly mumbled before Tzuyu could even took another bite on her food.

 

She raised a brow. "And?"

 

"I am shy to admit it to her." The girl explained.

 

"So you want me to give this to her?" She asked while raising the white paper in the air.

 

The girl nods her head. "Yes,"

 

"Okay, I'll give this to her when I see her." She agreed.

 

"Thank you." The girl smiled at her.

 

She smiled back. "You're welcome. What's your name? In case she'd ask for it?"

 

"Mina, Myoui Mina." The girl stated.

 

She nods her head. "Okay, Mina. I got you."

 

"Thanks." Mina bowed a bit before leaving her.

 

"Well, that was so sudden." She said and then sighed.

 

 

 

"Here," She handed Chaeyoung the letter that Mina have her.

 

"What is this?" Chaeyoung asked after she gets the letter on Tzuyu.

 

"A letter," She mumbled, still looking at the front; listening to their teacher as he discuss.

 

"You wrote me a letter?" Chaeyoung asked while scanning the paper in her hand.

 

She snapped her head at her. "No, why would I write a letter for you?" She asked with wrinkled eyebrows.

 

"I don't know." Chaeyoung shrugged her shoulders. "Then from whom is this?"

 

"She said her name is Mina, Myoui Mina." She admitted, now, looking back at their discussing teacher.

 

"Are you kidding me!?" Chaeyoung exclaimed. Their teacher looked at her but not like the other one earlier, he didn't say anything.

 

"Why would I?" She asked; confused.

 

Chaeyoung blinks rapidly. "You really mean Mina? As in Mina?"

 

"I mean, that was what she said when I asked for her name." She admitted.

 

"OH. MY. GOD." Chaeyoung exclaimed with wide eyes.

 

She looked at her with confused look. "Uh... Is there anything wrong?"

 

"She's my freaking crush for almost 4 years now!" Chaeyoung whispered-yelled at her.

 

She slowly nods her head. "Then great, you can be together now. She likes you, you like her. Good for you two."

 

"Oh God, I will go home early today to cook for my family. I will cook delicious food for them." Chaeyoung said as she put the paper in front of her heart while smiling like an idiot.

 

"You wouldn't come with me to the music room after class?" She asked since they both planned to go to the music class after class.

 

"Maybe tomorrow," Chaeyoung mumbled as she daydreams about her and Mina's future.

 

"Okay," She nods her head and then listened to their teacher once again.

 

 

 

 

 

She put her things inside her bag the moment their teacher left their room followed by the excited Chaeyoung who didn't even said goodbye to her.

 

She shook her head when she saw her friend stumble on nothing.

 

She slowly moves out of her room and then walks towards the old building. And when she got there, she sees another person on the hallway; it was school's janitress. She guessed since the girl has broom in her hand.

 

She smiled at the lady and then proceeded to walk towards the last room which is the music room.

 

As she stands in front of the door, she heard the sound again; the same sound she heard yesterday. She didn't waste any time and immediately open the door.

 

She was frozen in her spot when she saw someone sitting in front of the piano.

 

It was a girl fair skin and blonde hair. She noticed her wearing their school uniform and the red necktie of the girl. Which means the girl is a junior in their school since every level there is an assigned color for each. Green means freshman, yellow means sophomore, red means junior, and blue means senior.

 

After a while, she slowly walked towards the chair beside the acoustic guitar; 5 meters away from the girl.

 

The girl keeps on playing the piano with her head lowered and her hair covering her entire face.

 

She watch her from a far as she listen to the music emitted by the grand piano.

 

After a minute, the girl came to the last chord. She sat there for a while before she slowly stands up again walk towards the door. She opens it and then walked out of the music room without even saying anything to Tzuyu.

 

Meanwhile, she just watches every action that the girl made.

 

She blinked a few times before she finally realizes everything.

 

She wanders to herself if the girl is their co-member or it is a student who likes to pass by and play the piano.

 

She shrugged off the thoughts towards the grand piano. She slowly sat down on the same chair where the girl sat earlier. Slowly, she starts to remember every key that the girl played earlier then plays the piano. Unlike yesterday, she got better in guessing the right keys.

 

She played the piano for an hour, keeps on guessing the right keys of the song.

 

She looked at the time on her phone and realized that it was too late already and she still have to cook for herself which she didn't do at all since we just ordered something to eat.

 

 

 

 

 

On the next day, it is their first practice for the program the next week. It is a program for all the students but mostly for transfer students and freshmen.

 

The music club was assigned to play their school's hymn and few songs to hype up the students and not to make them bored during the program.

 

After their last teacher left the room, she immediately runs towards the music room since she is the one who has the key to it.

 

She was a bit stunned in her spot in front of the room beside the music room when she heard the same song being played again.

 

She wondered if she left the room opened yesterday. But she was sure that she closed it.

 

'Maybe it was the janitress.' She said to herself and then walked towards the door.

 

She slowly turns the knob and then found out that the door is really unlocked.

 

She spares a glance to girl playing the piano before sitting down on the chair beside the guitar.

 

The girl started to hit the keys and not minding her at all.

 

Suddenly, she heard a ring on her phone which made her surprise a little and at the same time the girl stop playing the piano.

 

She gets her phone on her pocket and then saw an unknown number calling her.

 

She wrinkled her eyebrows but answered it anyways.

 

She slowly stand up and then walked towards the corner of the room; turning her back to the girl.

 

"Hello?" She mumbled.

 

"Hi Tzuyu, it is Jeongyeon." Jeongyeon speaks from the other line.

 

She nods her head to no one. "Ah, yes, why?"

 

"Did you open the music room already?" Jeongyeon asked.

 

"I am inside of the music room right now but it was the janitress who opened the door." She admitted.

 

"Are you sure you weren't the one who opened the door?" Jeongyeon asked again.

 

She wrinkled her eyebrows at the question. "Yes, why?"

 

"The janitress is absent today. Her schedule is only for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday." Jeongyeon explained.

 

She wrinkled her eyebrows even more. "Eh? But--" Before she could even finish her sentence, someone speak behind her.

 

She slowly turned around and found Jeongyeon.

 

"Maybe because the lock is broken, I will buy another lock and change it." Jeongyeon said and then sat down on the chair where Tzuyu sat earlier.

 

"Oh you're here already." She said and then end the call then walked towards Jeongyeon.

 

"Did I surprise you?" Jeongyeon asked; now playing the guitar.

 

'Where is she?' She asked herself when she saw that the girl earlier was gone.

 

She shook her head at Jeongyeon's question. "Not really,"

 

"The others will be here in a minute." Jeongyeon mumbled as she continues to play the guitar in her hands.

 

"Okay," She mumbled as she still wonder to herself about the girl's whereabouts.

 

"Did you play in front of the crowd before?" Jeongyeon suddenly asked when she is halfway towards the piano.

 

She shook her head as she continues to walk. "No, I haven't."

 

"Well, you will be playing now." Jeongyeon stated.

 

"Yeah," She nods her head and then sat down on the chair in front of her piano.

 

"Don't worry; we will practice and I know that you will do well." Jeongyeon assured her.

 

"I hope so." She mumbled and when she is about to hit the first key on the piano, suddenly, the door opened revealing Chaeyoung.

 

"Hi guys!" She greets happily and without t any shame like she is an old member.

 

"Say hi to our newest member, Tzuyu." Jeongyeon said when the others entered the room.

 

They all waved their hands to Tzuyu with smiles on their lips as Tzuyu bowed down a bit as a respect to the old members of the club.

 

Suddenly, a girl runs towards her with her bunny smile. "Hi Tzuyu!" Then she hugged her with none crushing hug.

 

She was a little taken aback. "Uh... hi?" She said; confused.

 

"Don't worry about her. She's just like that when meeting new people." Jeongyeon stated and then pulled Nayeon away from Tzuyu.

 

"Okay," She sighed when the girl finally let go of her.

 

"Anyways, since it is Wednesday today, we only have 3 days left to practice including now since Monday is the program." Jeongyeon informed them.

 

"Yes!" All of them exclaimed; acknowledging Jeongyeon's statement.

 

"Let's all settled down first." Jeongyeon orders and then they all sat down on the floor; forming a circle.

 

"What do you think is the best song to hype up the students?" Jeongyeon continued.

 

"Maybe something modern?" Nayeon suggested.

 

"Like K-pop songs?" Chaeyoung asked her.

 

Nayeon nods her head as Tzuyu is just silent listening to them since she doesn't really like voicing out her own opinion. "Yes, since teenagers nowadays like K-pop."

 

"You're right." Chaeyoung said whole nodding her head.

 

"Who do you think is the most relevant K-pop group among the student of JYP University?" Jeongyeon asked again.

 

"You know there is this girl group called TWICE." JB mumbled.

 

"OMG! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!" Nayeon suddenly shouted making all of them cover their ears from the sudden loud sound; especially Tzuyu who is sitting beside her since she forced her to sit beside her.

 

"Shut up Nayeon please. We don't need your opinion here." Jeongyeon said as she rolls her eyes.

 

"But I was the one who suggested modern song!" Nayeon said defensively.

 

"Since we are known to play calm and more on acoustic side, why don't we make it a rock version?" Jeongyeon asked the others; not really minding Nayeon complaining.

 

"That's a great idea!" Jinyoung exclaimed in happiness. Out of all the people, he's the one who likes rock.

 

"So what song?" Jackson asked.

 

"What about their latest one?" Yugyeom suggested.

 

"What is that?" Jeongyeon asked.

 

Before Yugyeom could answer, suddenly, Nayeon stand up and then sand the song with the choreography of it. "You make me feel special~"

 

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. "Shut up Nayeon."

 

"Hey! When it comes to K-pop and TWICE I am most knowledgeable person here!" Nayeon complained.

 

"If you say so," Youngjae mumbled from the other side of Nayeon.

 

"How many singers do we ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter