6 - biscuits.

come here, little puppy.

oops, forgot to mention... angst to fluff won! so here ya go.

 

The next morning arrived quicker than usual, much to Joohyun's annoyance. She hadn't actually been looking forward to any of this. It was quite the opposite, in fact. An uncomfortable nerve pinched relentlessly at her sensibility and she found herself questioning the decision to hunt over and over again, not getting a wink of sleep the entire night.
 

It won’t hurt to leave her for a few hours, right?
 

Her hunts usually lasted anywhere between 6 to 8 hours, the latter being only when food was scarce, which did happen from time to time. The length of her hunt was never fully in her hands, more so a combination of the selection of prey and her thirst.
 

Oh no, yeah… it’s going to take a lot longer than usual… this is the longest I’ve gone without a kill. God knows when I’ll be able to stop myself.
 

It terrified and ignited her simultaneously.
 

The mere thought of the insatiable draining that was due tonight lit a flame someplace inside her; someplace deep and neglected. At the same time, however, she didn’t want to be gone too long. The girl could barely stand half an hour in a different room as the vampiress, regardless of whether she was under the same roof. Even if she was preoccupied playing, it would always be close by.
 

Seungwan’s separation anxiety was the biggest factor to consider as far as Joohyun was concerned.
 

The day went on as usual, but something just felt a little out of place and Joohyun couldn’t quite put her finger on it. Clearly it showed in her behaviour, because she felt an apprehensive little tug at her sleeve when they were both watching Seungwan’s favourite cartoon after lunch.
 

“Mummy?” Seungwan asked earnestly, “what’s wrong with clock? Why keep watching?”
 

The vampiress let out a disgruntled puff and fluttered her eyelids a couple times to snap herself out of her trance, turning to glance down at her concerned little puppy.
 

What? Have I been staring at the clock this entire time?
 

“W-wha-no, no baby,” she stuttered an unprepared response, “I’m just…”
 

She fell silent.
 

After contemplating for a minute, she reached forward to mute the TV, shifting on the sofa so they were now sitting face to face. She briefly scratched the base of Seungwan’s ears to relax her before taking both hands into her own trembling ones.
 

She didn’t know who she was trying to calm.
 

“Wannie-ah…” she drew her puppy’s name out in a heaved breath, unsure of how to put what her mind wanted to say, “can you be a good girl for me and go to bed early tonight? Mummy has to leave for a while, okay?”
 

Sad, watery eyes blinked up at Joohyun, pulling at her already delicate heart strings.
 

“But why, mummy? Why leaving Wannie?”
 

Seungwan cocked her head, genuinely puzzled at the news. This was the first time Joohyun had ever wanted to leave the house out without taking her with. The innocence in her voice shattered the vampiress and she instinctively curled her arms around the confused girl, petting her reassuringly.
 

“Mummy has to take care of herself sometimes,” she tried to word it as best she could when all she could revert to was how upset she seemed to have made the girl, “she’s just going to play with her friends for a while, okay?”
 

“Bu-Wannie wanna play too!”
 

Oh way to go, idiot, Joohyun could’ve smacked herself right then, perfect choice of words. Did you really have to say ‘play’?!
 

After many back and forths of ‘why’s’ and ‘don’t worry’s’, an irritated Seungwan pouted, turning away to curl up into a ball of solidarity. Joohyun pursed her frustrated lips, knowing there was no point in trying to reason any further. But as much as she knew her puppy was needy, she knew she was stronger than ever, and that would be enough to carry her through her second night alone since she moved in.
 

She hoped… trusted, that Seungwan had that much faith in her, at least.
 

“Come on, Wannie-ah, stop sulking, you’re a big girl,” she said, reaching out to gently grasp the fluffy tail drooped sadly next to her, “It’ll only be for a while… mummy will be back before you know it.”
 

Despite being ‘mad’ at her, the mopey puppy allowed her tail to be held, which was quite rare, Joohyun had to admit. She visibly relaxed at the contact, giving a little sigh of contentment and almost jumping right back into the vampiress’ arms. But she remained resolute nonetheless, determined not to let Joohyun know she’d won her over so easily.
 

However, a knowing smile crawled up the corners of the vampiress’ lips.
 

Gotchu Wannie, she thought triumphantly as she upped the ante on the tail rubs, those happy little pants and ear twitches coming to surface soon enough, can’t stay mad at me for long.
 


 

Getting Seungwan into bed that night was a haze of events she couldn’t really piece together. Her actions were almost robotic as the anxiety of tonight’s hunt crept up to the very forefront of her thoughts. Her brain was an unstoppable whirlpool of worries and emotions.
 

What if I get carried away? I have to keep track of time.
 

What if Seungwannie gets peckish later on?
 

She’ll definitely get thirsty…
 

God, why do I have to be this way. Why do I have to leave Wannie alone for so long?
 

I hope I don’t lose it and go savage. Keep yourself under control, Joohyun.
 

Don’t. Lose. Track.
 

A couple of those queries were easily sorted with a plate of biscuits and a warm glass of milk on the bedside where Seungwan could readily access it if she so pleased. The girl grinned and took a big sniff as the freshness wafted up her nose. She never got biscuits before bed… so this must be a treat.
 

“These are only if you get really hungry, okay Wannie?” Joohyun instructed, waving a stern finger at the puppy whose attention was set on anything but her, obviously.
 

“Don’t just eat them becau-”
 

*cronch cronch cronch cronch*
 

“Mm?” Seungwan hadn’t even realised what she’d done until she was gazing up at the vampiress with wide, guilty eyes and both cheeks stuffed with food.
 

Trying not to let her emotions seep into her expression, Joohyun shook her head, chuckling gently down at her pup who had long broken and was now helping herself to her second dinosaur shaped biscuit.
 

“Mummy?”
 

“What is it, baby?”
 

“Can Wannie finish these before bed…?”
 

The woman sighed in defeat at the girl innocently gesturing to the plate and cup of milk on the table. God, how could she say no to a face like that?
 

How does it feel, huh, Seungwannie? Do you know how adorable you are? You know, don’t you. You know how to get what you want, clever girl.
 

“Alright, baby,” she relented, eyes widening after stealing a quick glance at the clock, “Mummy has to go now, be a good girl. I’ll be back.”
 

Damn it I’m late.
 

The vampiress straightened up and leaned in to kiss Seungwan on the head, feeling her puppy nuzzle up into her hand scratching behind her ears. Dull thumps from a wagging tail could be heard under the weight of the duvet as Seungwan watched Joohyun turn to make for the door, giving her one last wave and a flying kiss before closing it behind her. She pricked her ears up, listening to the footsteps fading down the stairs and some rustling around in the garage before disappearing completely, a sharp bolt on the door.
 

Joohyun had taken extra care to double lock the doors. No one was breaking in tonight of all nights, and no one was leaving either. After checking and double-checking the bolts and hinges, she leaned into the door, letting it support the weight of her unease. She closed her eyes, praying everything would go smoothly and that she’d be back to shower Seungwan in cuddles and affection as soon as it was over. Her eyes fluttered open, dropping down briefly to the ropes in her hand, tangled in a clump. At this point the first spikes of adrenaline would usually be pulsing faintly in her core, knowing how utterly quenched her thirst was going to be in a few short moments.
 

But this just felt like a burden… and she didn’t want to acknowledge why.
 

It was as though her body wouldn’t let her go. She felt rooted to the floor, superglued to the big, brass doorknob that was turning her knuckles even paler than what she was used to with how tightly she was gripping it.
 

Whatever, the sooner I start, the sooner it ends.
 

Let’s get this over with.
 

Joohyun headed in the direction of the nearby forest up the hill.
 

Funnily enough, the further she got from the house, the further her anxiety felt. 

...

..

.

hohoho the calm before the storm. if you guys are ready that makes one of us... lol.