Epilogue

Restoring Rubbished Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On Tuesday afternoon the same week, Jaebeom walks into his work studio from his coffee break at the cafeteria and finds Youngjae swinging on his work chair with Coco on his lap.

“Hi, hyung.” Youngjae chirps, wearing the biggest most infectious smile.

Getting over his initial surprise, Jaebeom can’t help smiling and shaking his head at the ridiculousness of this situation. “When I agreed to try dating you, this isn’t what I meant.” He goes to put his bag down on the couch.

“What? Coco and I missed you, so we thought we could drop by to see you. A workaholic like you needs company and laughter.”

“Says who?”

“Me. I brought delicious food too.” Youngjae gestures at the lunch bag Jaebeom completely missed at the table in front of the couch. “This is what boyfriends do.”

Jaebeom is feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this but he hates to admit that he is also a bit touched by it.

“So I can see.” Jaebeom’s eyes are fixed on the endearing sight that is Youngjae cradling his little dog in his arms like a precious and treasured child. Jaebeom doesn’t know why but he is staring at the cute dog and wondering what it’s like to be cuddled and loved by Youngjae.

“I found a work colleague of yours in here and he told me I can stick around. I hope that’s not a problem.”

“It’s not but I have some work to do though.”

“No one is stopping you. When you get tired and just need to talk or eat, Coco and I will be right here.” Youngjae’s smile is a little tentative and hesitant like he doesn’t feel as confident as he seems. “c-can we stay?” he finally asks, his eyes so wide with hope. Jaebeom’s heart weakens.

“Okay sure.”

Youngjae beams in excitement, smile as bright as the sun. It’s so beautiful, Jaebeom thinks.

Youngjae gets up and goes to sit on the couch.

Jaebeom takes his laptop out from his bag and gets to work, throwing his headphones. He has no idea how long he has been at it when he finally pulls his headphones off and gently cracks his stiffening neck. Leaning back in his chair, he swings it around toward the couch. Youngjae is still, lying on his side, legs bent at the knees while Coco is nestled against his chest. They are both fast asleep.

Jaebeom’s chest fills with warmth and fondness at the adorable sight.

He supposes it does feel good having someone around silently supporting and waiting for him.

As quietly as possible, Jaebeom wheels his chairs across the room to where Youngjae is. He reaches out to pet Coco a little, her soft while fur. Jaebeom surprises himself by actually contemplating touching Youngjae’s hair as well. his hand is already almost there when he stops himself with a harsh shake of his head. It’s tempting though what with Youngjae looking so peaceful, soft, cuddly and warm.

As if feeling Jaebeom’s presence hovering over him, Youngjae suddenly wakes up and slowly blinks his eyes open. He gets all flustered seeing Jaebeom there watching him sleep.

Jaebeom smiles awkwardly and apologetically. “This must be uncomfortable for you. Sorry.”

Youngjae crimsons. “I should apologise for falling asleep when I came here to keep you company.”

“It’s okay. I got too carried away with work anyway.”

“How long have been asleep.” Youngjae sits up, careful not to wake Coco up. She shifts a little and opens one eye then promptly decides there is nothing to see and goes back to sleep.

“No idea.”

“of course you lost track of time.” Youngjae quietly mutters, nodding slowly, and then he abruptly realises something. “hyung, are you okay sitting this close to Coco? What about your allergies? I shouldn’t have brought her. I totally forgot. It’s just that I have no one to babysit for me today and-”

“My allergies are not that severe.” Jaebeom cuts Youngjae’s rant off with a grin.

Youngjae pouts and Jaebeom’s grin turns into a laugh. “Stop beating yourself up about it. I said I’m okay. Really.”

“I can only survive about 30 to 45 minutes around cats before my allergies kick in.”

“I’m surprised you are not having an allergic reaction to me right now, considering I’m coming from a home with 5 cats.”

“I guess you don’t have any fur on your clothes.”

“Sometimes it gets stuck in my hair.”

“Your hair looks thoroughly washed.” Youngjae thoughtlessly reaches out to touch Jaebeoms bangs, gently pushing them off his face.

Jaebem doesn’t get the instinctive urge to finch from the touch, so he just lets Youngjae have his way.  Youngjae’s hand trails lower until his palm cups Jaebeom’s cheek and then he slowly starts moving forward into Jaebeom’s personal space. He squints, giving Jaebeom’s face a long, scrutinizing look as if examine it.

A little confused, “what are you doing?” Jaebeom asks, surprised he doesn’t choke because of how affected he is by Youngjae’s close proximity.

“Hold on, there something on your face.” Youngjae absently mutters while shifting even closer to Jaebeom.”

Jaebeom is about to speak when Youngjae abruptly kisses him on the lips, just a quick, soft and light kiss.

Small as the kiss may be, it doesn’t fail to get Jaebeom all red-faced and flustered.

A soft knock at the door interrupts them and claims there attention.

It’s Jaebeom’s good friend Mark. He is already standing just inside the door and smiling apologetically at Youngjae and Jaebeom.

“Hi, sorry to interrupt.” Mark says

Jaebeom feels his face get hotter. “It’s alright.” He says and clears his throat to gain come composure and dignity because right now he has no idea how much Mark just saw.

“I came to see if you’d like to go out for a late lunch.” Mark’s gaze slides to Youngjae. “Your friend can join us.”

Jaebeom finally snaps out of his initial embarrassment and jumps into introductions. He gestures at Mark, “this is Mark Tuan, a friend who also works here as a music producer. Mark, this Youngjae… my boyfriend.”

Mark’s eyes widen comically at Jaebeom, and he can tell Mark has many questions but is holding back for later. Thank goodness.

Mark makes a small bow at Youngjae and he does the same.

“Okay then would you and your boyfriend like to join me for lunch?”

“Next time. Youngjae already brought me lunch.” Jaebeom declines with an apologetic smile and this time he can see Mark nearly bouncing on her toes with excitement and curiosity. Jaebeom is so not looking forward to the time Mark will get a chance to badger him with questions.

“Another time then.” Mark finalises and exits the studio.

Jaebeom takes his attention back to Youngjae and finds him grinning and visibly blushing profusely.

“You called me your boyfriend.” Youngjae says and then does this weirdly cute thing like he is trying to stop himself from squealing; or floating off the couch into the air. Jaebeom ends up getting flustered as well in the process.

“well, you are my man, aren’t you?”

Gaze lowered bashfully, Youngjae nods. He can’t believe what he’s hearing. His heart feels so full and ready to burst. This is certainly one of the best days of his life. As awesome as all this is though, a Youngjae also feels like Jaebeom wasin a bit of a tight spot, forced to introduce Youngjae as hs boyfriend because he couldn’t introduce him as a friend.

Coco stirs awake and Youngjae pulls her into his lap, then he musters the courage to meet Jabeeom’s gaze again, “Maybe I should stop visiting you at work. You looked a little uncomfortable just now.”

“That’s because I haven’t told my friends about you and me.” Jaebeom admits and stops there to gauge Youngjae’s reaction before he goes on. Youngjae facial expression is pretty neutral, so Jaebeom adds, “When we first started seeing each other, I didn’t know how to explain out arrangement to my friends.”

“I get that. I mean I honestly want to be introduced to the people in your life eventually, and to get to know them, but the best time is when you’re ready.”

“So, you’ll wait?”

“I have to. I don’t want to push you least you scurry away like a frightened mouse.”

“A mouse? Is that what I look like to you?”

Youngjae tilts his head to the side as if studying Jjaebeom more closely, and then he snaps his fingers. “No. a hamster is more your speed.”

Smiling and shaking his head, Jaebeom reaches for youngjae and digs his fingers into his sides. Youngjae screeches and bursts into a laughing fit under Jaebeom’s merciless tickling, until the room fills with their laughter.

********

Of course Jaebeom’s friends crowd in on him with a million questions once Youngjae is gone. They are like excited sorority girls as they make themselves comfortable on the couch in Jaebeom’s studio.

“So, when did you boyfriend?” Mark asks without wasting any more time.

Jaebeom groans and rolls his eyes, turning around in his chair to face them. “It’s only been a few weeks.”

“and you didn’t tell us?” Bam Bam looks so scandalised that Jaebeom almost laughs at the sight.

“The thing with Youngjae and I is not a regular dating se up.”

“I thought you were done with the dating scene for a while.” Bam Bam points out

“I Am. I was…” Jaebeom abruptly stops, giving up on explaining exactly what’s going on.

Mark frowns, puzzled. “You said Youngjae is your boyfriend though.”

“We are seeing each other. Trying things out, if you will.” Jaebeom finally manages an explanation and even mentally pats himself on the back for it. His friends gape and look at each other then they look back at Jaebeom making cooing sounds.

Jaebeom wants to die of embarrassment.

“How the hell did Youngjae convince you to date? We haven’t been able to do it for months now.”

“He is persistent.” Without realising it, Jaebeom smiles fondly. His friends notice this and coo yet again.

“Someone changed hard-headed Jaebeom hyung’s mind. He might be the one.” Bam Bam says seriously. “Also, I looked through your texts and discovered you sent him a heart emoji at least twice while you were texting him.”

Jaebeom’s jaw drops, appalled. “You did what? How? When? Why?”

“Well Mark hyung told me you got a boyfriend, so I came over here to ask you about it, but found you’d stepped out. Your phone was right there at your desk, so I helped myself.” Bam Bam punctuates his explanation with a careless shrug as if there is nothing strange about what he did.

Jaebeom looks helplessly at Mark and then back at Bam Bam, “how dare you.”

“hyung let’s focus on the point here, the heart emojis.”

Leaning back in his seat, Jaebeom decides to let the invasion of privacy thing go despite how slightly miffed he still feels about it. “Youngjae and I have been seeing each other for about three weeks now, so-”

“Three weeks?” Mark exclaims “That’s a lot. Sounds serious.”

“I don’t know.” Jaebeom shakes his head.

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

“You guys know how I feel about dating. I happened to tell Youngjae and he decided to try and change my mind about it.”

“Well has he?” asks Mark

Bam Bam looks at Mark, “It’s been three weeks, hyung. I think Jaebeom hyung has changed his mind or is on the way to.”

Mark nods after taking Bam Bam’s point into consideration, and then he looks seriously at Jaebeom. “Why don’t you tell us how you feel?”

Completely leaned back in his chair and staring at the ceiling, Jaebeom takes his time contemplating the question before giving an answer. “We have fun together. I like being with him…I guess.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter