A Pretty Girl

The Yellow Flower Café

With one day to go before the semester officially began, Byulyi thought she should stock up her cupboards with any snacks she would want for the busy few weeks ahead. After putting away the last of her things from home, she made a short list on her phone and started to head out. Living alone this year would be great but she couldn’t deny how pricy some household items were, and she thanked Hyejin for the promise of free coffee whenever she liked.

Stepping into the hall off the apartment building, she caught sight of the blonde she spotted the other day. The girl was rummaging around in her bag, appearing slightly flustered as she pushed the loose strands of hair out of her face. Byulyi heard the girl sigh to herself as she walked towards Byul, who was hovering in her doorway like a lost sheep. Byulyi ducked back into her room, not wanting to be caught staring. Well, less staring and more looking out of curiosity. Byul didn’t want to admit to herself how cute she found the other girl looking so bemused.

When she heard a nearby door close and she thought the coast was clear, Byulyi stepped out into the hall and started towards the stairs. She had only made it about five steps when the door next to hers swung open and someone walked straight into her.

“Hey!”

“Ow!”

Byulyi wasn’t sure who said what, but now she was face to face with the blonde girl, and seeing her up close made her head spin (but that could be the bump to the head she took).

“I’m sorry!” The blonde girl, who was standing way too close for Byulyi to stay calm, burst out. “I didn’t mean to bump into you, I wasn’t looking.”

Byulyi still didn’t reply, just looking at the other girl in confusion. Now she was staring but before she could correct herself, the blonde girl reached up to place a hand on Byul’s arm.

“Are you…okay?” Byulyi realised she was acting a bit strange but she couldn’t help but admire the girl’s beauty. Not only did the girl have perfectly toned, honey blonde hair, but her brown eyes sparkled even in the light of the hall, and Byulyi remined herself not to get lost in them.

Clearing , Byulyi quickly averted her eyes. “Ah, I’m sorry. You just took me by surprise.” Byulyi smiled sheepishly while rubbing the back of her head. She was never usually shy around anyone but there was something about this girl that had her feeling inadequate in some way. Taking a step back she cleared her thoughts and felt it needed to properly introduce herself.

“It looks like we’re neighbours.” Byulyi pointed back to her door before smiling at the girl. “Moon Byulyi, it’s nice to meet you.” She almost extended her hand before stopping herself, no one does that anymore.

“Oh!” The other girl simply exclaimed and looked in the direction Byulyi was pointing. “I guess we are! I’m Kim Yongsun, it’s nice to meet you too.” Yongsun’s smile was beaming and she was almost bouncing up and down. It was so extremely different to how Byulyi had seen her a moment ago.

Byulyi took another step back and turned slightly towards the end of the hall. She needed to get out of this situation before she embarrassed herself. “I should be going now. Maybe see you around sometime?” She flashed her charming smile before fully turning away from Yongsun, starting down the hall before even waiting for an answer. ‘Gosh, get a grip Byul. Just because a pretty girl smiles at you…’

 

 

‘She seems nice, if not in a bit of a hurry.’ Yongsun was happy to have met her neighbour. Now if she ever needed anything, she would at least have her as a familiar face. In the few days she’d been here, Yongsun hadn’t been out much and hadn’t introduced herself to any of the students in the building, instead busying herself with last minute reading and organising her things.

Turning to close her front door, Yongsun made sure she had her wallet with her this time. Going grocery shopping would be hard if she kept leaving it on her side table. She spent her wait in the elevator browsing through her phone, noticing she didn’t have any new notifications. She promised herself she would be more sociable this year after working so diligently before. Her only friend for the past few years had been one of her neighbours at her old university, but sometimes she wondered if the girl just took pity on her for looking so stressed all the time. Telling herself she would check out the cute café in the plaza before classes started, she stepped out of the elevator just to catch a glimpse of her dark-haired neighbour rushing out of the front doors. She thought Byulyi was such a pretty name and the girl seemed friendly enough in the short moment they’d just spent together. Yongsun hoped she would see the girl sooner rather than later as she watched her walk away.