CHAPTER ONE

Dear Sandara

CHAPTER ONE

 

 

 

AFTER THAT INCIDENT, you missed school for days. I found out that you had to cut your long hair short because of the bubble gum I put on it. When you came back to attend classes, you ignored my presence. It made me sad.

 

      “Dara, let’s play,” Minji approached her and invited her.

 

      “Okay. I’ll just finish my snacks,” she told her friend with a smile on her lips. Minji nodded in response before joining their classmates. She then sips on her drink and smiles at them.

 

      Moments after, she felt another presence next to her. It was Jiyong. She threw him a quick glace before distancing herself away from him. She’s still sulking because of what he did. Her once long hair is now shoulder-length all because of the bubble gum he attached on their strands.

 

      Mrs. Annaliza had to go home with her that day in order to explain to her parents what happened. She missed her classes the following days because she really felt sad at what happened to her hair.

 

      A pack of marie biscuit appeared in front of her. Jiyong was holding it.

 

      “What’s that?” she asked.

 

      “I’m sorry,” he answered.

 

      She did not say a word and finally glanced at him. He was just staring at her, sadness was written on his orbs. Slowly, she accepted his peace offering. She knows that it was Jiyong’s favorite because it was her favorite too. And she knows that he won’t openly offer it to just anyone unless he’s really sincere in offering it.

 

      “Don’t ever do that again, okay?”

 

      “Yes, I won’t do it ever again.”

 

      “My hair looks ugly now.”

 

      “Don’t worry. Mama said that it will grow long again.”

 

      “Really?”

 

      “Yes,” he said and nodded his head.

 

      “Dara! Let’s go!” Minji grabbed her attention.

 

      She placed the biscuit that Jiyong gave her inside her bag and stood up. She was about to leave when he stopped her. “Dara!” She looked at him. Jiyong was looking down while playing with his own fingers. “Are you still mad at me?” He asked without looking at her.

 

      She smiled at this and approached him. She held his hand. “Let’s play?” she invited. Finally, he looked up at her and smiled before continuously nodding his head. “Let’s go?” While still holding his hand, they went to where their classmates are.

 

 

 

      Since then, we were inseparable. Even when we finally entered elementary school, we still attended the same class and were still together. I know you are smart and an outstanding student. Maybe because you enrolled late that’s why, instead of being in section one, you were included in section two and became my classmate. We were seatmates. Did you know that I don’t really want to sit in front of the class because I was afraid that I’ll be called first for the recitation? But since you wanted to sit in front, I was not able to do anything but to join you. I wanted to sit next to you. We were seated at the two vacant seats in the front row; The only separate seats at the end of the long table. Our area was attention-grabbing but since I am seated next to you, I did not complain anymore.

 

      I will never forget your love for Disney Princesses. Every time our classes end, you would want us to roleplay different Disney stories. And to all of that, you always want to be the princess, and I was always the prince. I don’t know how to act, that’s why you always ended up scolding me. Even so, you were still willing to play with me. Every time we arrive at the class in the morning, and even at the end of the class in the afternoon, you always want to play that game. You liked Snow White, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and of course, the Disney story you’ve always loved – The Little Mermaid.

 

 

 

      “Jiyong!” Dara called out as she entered their room. He was busy playing with their guy classmates. She smiled and immediately went to his side.

     

      “What?”

 

      “You know what? I’ll be joining a school contest,” whatever that is, she doesn’t know. But one thing about it made her happy that she really wanted to share it with Jiyong.

 

      “School contest? What is it?”

 

      “I don’t know. Teacher just told me that I’ll be Little Mermaid!”

 

      “What are you going to do there, Dara?” one of their guy classmates asked. “Swim in the sea?” he added then laughed afterwards. Jiyong smacked him on his head and the former smacked him back.

 

      “The sea is too far from here,” she said and smacked their classmate. “I’ll wear a beautiful dress, a mermaid tail, and of course, my hair will be long!” She happily said before going back to her seat.

 

      “How are you going to become Little Mermaid when your hair is still short? It will take a long time for it to grow, you know?”

 

      “Whatever. I’ll just tell mama about it.” She started arranging her things since they are already done with their classes for the day.

 

      Jiyong sat on his seat and started arranging his things as well. “Will I also join the contest?”

 

      “Huh? I don’t know. Teacher did not tell me anything.”

 

      “Who will be your partner?”

 

      “I don’t know. But I heard, from section four. One girl and one boy will represent our grade in the contest.”

 

      “Then, I won’t be your partner?” he sadly said.

 

      Dara looked at him and smiled. She tapped his shoulder and stood in front of him. “Even if you are not my partner in the contest, you will always be my partner in our roleplay and in class, okay?” He stared at her for seconds, before finally smiling. “Let’s go. Let’s play outside!”

 

 

      It was Donghae from section four who became your partner for the contest. For the first time, I was not the prince when you stood in front of the crowd as the princess. You were wearing a gown; I can still remember the blue gown you wore that night. You shyly smiled at the audience and stood before a huge number of crowds. I know you are not used to that amount of attention, but you still did your best. That time, it crossed your mind that when you grow up, you want to stand in front of the crowd: You want to stand on the stage. Something that I know you can because you are a hard-worker; You always do your best whenever you want something.

 

      On the following years, we were on different sections. You were consistently on the top, while I was always part of the bottom. Anyhow, we were still friends. We still play different games together. But one thing changed; You stopped roleplaying as a Disney Princess.

 

 

 

      “Dara,” Jiyong called out while they are walking on their way home and munching on their snacks. She glanced at him as she took a bite on her bread.

 

      “Hmm?”

 

      “Why don’t you play as Disney Princess anymore?”

 

      She just stared at him before facing their way and thinking about the answer to his question. “Oh, right. We are always busy with our class garden. Did you know? We planted beautiful flowers at the backyard of our classroom?”

 

      “Our class did that too.”

 

      “Tsk. Of course. That’s our classes’ project given by our teachers. But we have the most beautiful garden, you know?”

 

      “Why? Have you seen ours?”

 

      “Nope. And no need because I just know that ours is more beautiful than your class’.” He did not answer and just went along with her statement. “Oh, by the way. We are going to school tomorrow.”

 

      “Why? It’s Saturday tomorrow, right?”

 

      “I know. We’ll just fix our garden. Then, we will go to Mcdo after.” The Mcdo that she was talking about was the sugarcane farm at the back of their school. It was a huge sugarcane farm and her guy classmates always go to that place to get some sugarcanes to share with the class.

 

      “Don’t you know that it’s dangerous there? There is a snake in that area.”

 

      “Why? Have you seen one?”

 

      “Not yet.”

 

      “Then how can you say that there is a snake there? Besides, they’ll be quick. There are only few from the class who will go tomorrow. Donghae and the rest of the boys will get us some sugarcane.”

 

      “Why them?”

 

      “Because they can, we can’t. Also, the guys are the ones who will bring large knives. We, the girls, will just fix and design the garden.”

 

      “Hmm. Do you want Jollibee?” Just like the place they call Mcdo, it was also part of the sugarcane farm on the other side of their school.

 

      “Why? Are you going to get one?”

 

      “If you want.”

 

      “It’s on the other side, right? You’re going there tomorrow?”

 

      “Yes?”

 

      “Tsk. They are also sugarcane, you know?”

 

      “Then just go with Jollibee. Don’t share with what Donghae will get for your class anymore.”

 

      She pretended to think for her answer. But in her mind, she already knows what to say. She just took more time, thinking. “Okay! But you have to be early. We will just be at the classroom in the morning, then we’ll go home after.”

 

      “Okay!”

 

 

      The next day, Jiyong went to their classroom at around ten in the morning. He was carrying sugarcanes along with Youngbae. There were bruises and scratches on their faces and hands.

 

      “Do you really know how to get sugarcanes? Why do you have scratches?”

 

      “We know. It’s just that a snake chased us that’s why we have bruises.”

 

      Her eyes grew wide at this and she started observing his bruises and scratches. “Did the snake bite you?” She worriedly asked with creases on her forehead. Jiyong smiled at her. “Why are you smiling? What’s funny?”

 

      “Just kidding. There was no snake. The sugarcanes in Jollibee are just big that’s why we have bruises and scratches. I told you, it’s better there than in Mcdo.”

 

      She glared at him and smacked his head. “I hate you. Peel those!” She commanded before going inside the classroom to get her handkerchief. She soaked it with water and used it to clean Jiyong’s scratches, and also Youngbae’s. Jiyong was busy feeding her with the peeled sugarcane, and she would smack him whenever he would pull it as she’s about to eat. He can only respond with laughter at her brutal treatment.

 

 

 

      When we reached the fourth-grade in elementary, we joined a competition. Do you still remember that time when Donghae was supposedly your partner, again? But days before the dance competition, there were changes. Instead, you became my partner and everything were in chaos. We always get scolded by our gay dance instructor. He actually liked me that’s why he’s always picking on you. And you won’t let him get away with his rudeness and would actually answer back. We’re bestfriends, that what you keep on telling him.

 

      When you said those words, I was afraid. What should I do with the love letter I wrote for you then? Will you accept it along with my feelings for you that is more than just bestfriends?

 

 

 

      “Are you ready?” Jiyong asked while standing behind her. They are currently on the steps of the stairs going to the stage, and waiting for their number to be called.

 

      She looked at him and smiled before sighing. “I’m ready. If I won’t do my best, Tonji will surely scold me again,” she said, talking about their gay instructor. He is currently with the audience and is also waiting for their group to be called.

 

      “Don’t think too much about it. He always picks on you because he likes me.”

 

      “And you are enjoying it, aren’t you?”

 

      “Of course not,” he immediately answered when she glared at him. “Why are you mad?”

 

      “I am not mad. I was just trying to help you and that’s what you are going to tell me?”

 

      “Why are you helping me? I can handle myself; you know?”

 

      “Whatever,” she mumbled before turning her back from him. He poked her shoulder but she did not budge. She heard him chuckling before poking her again. “Stop it,” she scolded him.

 

      “Don’t get mad at me. I have something for you.”

 

      She turns her head towards his direction. “What?”

 

      “You’ll know later. I’ll be at the beach near your house. I’ll give it to you there.”

 

      “Why not after our performance? You know that my parents will not allow me to go out at night. Besides, how will I know if you are already there?”

 

      “You’ll know later,” was his only answer before holding her shoulders and pushing her forward when their group was finally called.

 

 

      That night, Dara was just sitting at an area inside their store while doing her assignments. She looked up when a knock on the wood outside their house caught her attention. She saw a familiar figure, standing there. She looked inside their house before approaching him.

 

      “I’ll wait for you at the beach,” Jiyong said before casually walking away.

 

      She went inside the house and stared at her paper. “Ma,” she called out. “I’ll just get something outside.”

 

      “Where are you going?”

 

      “At Minji’s house. She borrowed my notebook. I need that for my assignment.”

 

      “Make it fast. It’s already eight in the evening.”

 

      “I’ll be quick, ma,” she answered before getting her cap and exiting the house. She walked on her right, aiming for Minji’s house. It was true anyway; That her friend has her notes. It’s just that she doesn’t really need it for her assignment so she can actually get it tomorrow.

 

      She did not stay long at Minji’s place. She bid goodbye after getting her notes and went to the beach. Jiyong was sitting at one of the boats there while patiently waiting for her. His back was facing her. She rushed towards his direction and smacked his head. “What now?”

 

      “That hurts!” He shouted when he stood up and faced her.

 

      “Sshh,” she scolded before placing a finger on her lips.

 

      He just copied her before nodding his head.

 

      “What is it?”

 

      He pulled out a white envelope from his pants’ pocket and casually gave it to her. “Oh,” he simply mumbled.

 

      “What ‘oh’? What is this?”

 

      “Read it. I’ll wait for your answer,” he said before holding her by her shoulders and turning her around. He pushed her towards the direction of their house. “Read it, okay?” He reminded before shooing her away before her parents can even start looking for her.

 

      Before completely leaving, Dara went back and kicked Jiyong’s legs. She immediately run away after. Once she reached the doorstep of their house, she stayed there for a while. She then peeked inside the white envelope and looked at what’s inside; A love letter.

 

 

      We were just ten years old then, and it was the first love letter I wrote. It was the first, and this was the last. Both were addressed to the same person. For you, Sandara Park.

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

What can you say about Chapter one? Your comments are very much appreciated. Thank you!