Love Poem (Titled You)

dear, Taeyeon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I've received so much lovely comments about the first IU/Taeng story so I decided to make another! This is more like a prequel to ELHL or rather a how-they-met-and-fell-in-love story.

I also made a playlist you can listen to while reading here

 

//

 

“You have a new rival.” That was how the call began. Jieun would have had a more astounded reaction if this wasn’t information she already knew.

Bicceul ssotneun sky, geu arae seon I…

“You already know her.” Honestly who doesn’t? Jieun doesn’t retort and simply droned in reply instead.

Kkumkkudeusi fly…

“My life is a beauty…” Jieun unconsciously hummed along as the song continued to play quietly from the living room speakers.

“I see you already know of the song too,” her manager continued, humored, as if he expected this behavior ahead of time.

Jieun ducked her head in mortification until she realized her manager wasn’t there to see her anyway. She willed herself to relax and brought her attention back to the ongoing phone call.

“It’s a great song,” she lamely countered. Whether it was the song or herself she was defending, she wasn’t sure.

“Yes, the charts definitely agree.”

Jieun went straight to the point. She didn’t like stalling, it made her unnecessarily nervous. “Is there a problem then? Do I have to move my comeback or something?”

“No, no. The company agreed to continue with the schedule as planned,” he quickly amended. “I’m just here to inform and tell you to prepare harder for it, I guess.”

Jieun scoffed. She understood her manager was just passing on news from the big bosses but it still irked her either way. She was only a bit over twenty but was already a seasoned idol after all, she had the right to feel egotistic about it even just a little bit.

“I know oppa, and you know me.” There was no need to notify her of all of this, they both recognized that fact but her company probably hasn’t caught onto the memo just yet.

“Alright, that’s all I have to say.”

“Thanks oppa, bye,” she says before hanging up.

 

 

Even after all the worry and fuss from the company, the reception to her new song was still definitely strong. Not that Jieun had any doubts, she knew of her standing in the industry and if she wasn’t on top, she was almost there.

But there was something else that definitely intrigued Jieun about her new competitor, if she could even call her that. To be honest she was getting slightly bothered by it. Call it her age doing the talk, she was only twenty-three after all and that should account to a little bit of insecurity when she was facing a senior with more years of experience stacked ahead of her. Maybe that was it— the thing that compelled her as she watched Kim Taeyeon performing her solo debut song on stage. Taeyeon was both something new and yet also achingly familiar. Jieun wasn’t far from all the other idols that also looked up to Girls’ Generation after all.

“You’re staring.” Her manager curiously stated and in turn tempted Jieun to do an eye roll.

“Thank you for pointing it out, Captain Obvious.”

“She’s prettier in person.” She definitely is, and boy has she grown even more beautiful as the years went by since they first met at a little radio show.

“Everyone’s usually prettier in person, oppa.”

Her manager simply chuckled in reply and didn’t say anything more. She wished he did— that way she wouldn’t be lost in her own thoughts again. She wouldn’t need to keep thinking about how captivating Kim Taeyeon truly was.

The insecurity hit her like a cartoon anvil, so sudden that it left her with no time to react differently. It’s just that Jieun knew her song was almost nothing in comparison to this one.

I was practically an anthem, a liberty track. What was her own song— a self-conscious, obviously lost in thought self-reflection track— going to do against something like that? Nothing.

It hurt, comparing herself like this. But it still wasn’t enough for her to tear her gaze away from the compelling stage.

 

 

“Taeyeon-sunbaenim.” Jieun bowed deeply upon greeting her senior after the music show.

“IU-ssi.” Taeyeon spoke in her slightly deeper speaking voice that Jieun hasn’t heard clearly in person for quite some time. Here she was again, getting compelled by something as simple as a voice— her voice to be exact.

“Ahhh, please call me Jieun instead, sunbae.” Jieun didn’t know what pushed her to say that and to a very successful— don’t forget super pretty— senior too.

Taeyeon’s eyebrow hitched a little higher in amusement but thankfully doesn’t question the rosy tint that was slowly blooming on Jieun’s cheeks.

“I will,” Taeyeon grinned. “Only if you stop calling me sunbaenim. If anything, I’m supposed to be the one calling you that.” She gestured to herself before continuing, “Newly debuted soloist after all.”

Jieun laughed along, finding the whole moment cute. It was refreshing to say the least. Taeyeon wasn’t as intimidating off-stage, she was so far from that.

“Ohh, where are my manners!” Taeyeon suddenly bowed a whole ninety degrees that Jieun started to worry about her back. “Hello! I’m Taeyeon from Girls’ Generation. Please take care of me, sunbaenim,” she added the honorific with a playful grin.

The stint got another laugh out of Jieun. She’s adorable.

“Okay, okay. I get it! It’s weird being called sunbaenim especially by you. I’ll call you unnie then, is that better?”

“Much.” Taeyeon smiled brightly. It was such a contagious one, making Jieun mirror the expression.

“So do I also get an album from you? Isn’t that what the rookies do?” Jieun teased.

“I mean, if you want? I can get you one.”

“Ahh, actually unnie, I already have a copy.” Taeyeon’s eyes widened comically, obviously not expecting that answer. “Can I have you sign it instead?”

“Wow,” that was all the other girl could muster.

“I-Is that a yes?”

Taeyeon snaps out of her trance. “Yeah, I— yeah of course, just wow.” A chuckle. “I guess I’m still trying to get used to this, you know? I don’t have eight noisy kids to back me up, it’s pretty off-putting.”

The older girl almost winced at her slip, if Jieun noticed, she didn’t comment. Taeyeon was thankful for it. She didn’t lie when she said she wasn’t used to all of this. Even without their physical presence, Taeyeon could vividly imagine her girls teasing her if they saw what was happening right now. Tiffany’s knowing but comforting smile. The opposite kind from Sunny, Sooyoung and Yoona, all mischievous and teasing. Probably wolf whistles coming from Yuri and Hyoyeon, they were the worst. She’d be thankful for Juhyun’s scolding of her unnies but Taeyeon would cower in fear from Jessica’s narrowing eyes and icy glare.

To think that Taeyeon still thought of them as nine even after everything that went down. It was inevitable, she was simply human after all. The thought was all the more bittersweet.

Her thoughts were interrupted when a fine-tipped marker was suddenly shoved in front of her face. She looked behind the pen and spotted a blushing Jieun who looked so determined to get her autograph.

“Unnie?”

Taeyeon mentally shook herself out of it. She was slightly flustered to have been caught blatantly staring.

“Sorry, zoned out there for a bit,” she said with a soft knock on her head.

The younger girl simply chuckled before pushing her copy of the album and the marker further into Taeyeon’s arms. The blonde had no much choice but to comply. How could she say no to a cute dongsaeng anyways.

Jieun watched intently as Taeyeon did her signature, complete with the butterfly and even a short message for the other girl. Just as she was done signing, Jieun’s manager called for her. It was time to go.

“Thank you again sunbae— unnie,” she quickly caught herself just in time. “I hope to see you around!”

“You too, Jieun-ah.”

Taeyeon has such a warm smile, Jieun thought as she walked back to where her manager waited.

Once Jieun knew she was out of sight did she finally let herself squeal and even embrace the album tightly. She belatedly realized that she wasn’t able to read the message the older girl wrote for her yet. Jieun quickly opened the album and broke out into an even bigger smile upon reading the short letter.

 

Let’s not get sick and do well, okay?

I’m cheering for you.

Fighting, Jieun-ah!

-Kim Taeyeon

 

Rivals huh? Jieun didn’t think so. Taeyeon was so much more than that for her.

 

--

 

Jieun has always watched Taeyeon from afar. Since her debut, they’d never had any chance to actually interact and get to know each other better. Probably because Jieun was a soloist and Taeyeon had her group. They may be idols but they both led two completely different lives.

But circumstances seem to draw back into Jieun. No matter how much she tried, she just somehow always ends up getting pulled in by Taeyeon’s presence anyway.

They shouldn’t even have any reason to spend time with each other outside of work yet here they were, lounging on a couch in one of their mutual friend’s apartment to celebrate the successful opening of their new clothing line.

It wasn’t that long since they both last saw each other. Just a few weeks after their respective promotions ended. Taeyeon’s blonde hair was cut shorter just above her shoulders now that made her features look fresh and so much younger. She looked more relaxed now too conversing with Jieun but that was probably because of the champagne loosening them up.

“So,” Taeyeon starts, “how have you been Jieun-ssi?” She takes another sip of her drink, her lips curled into a smile behind the glass flute.

Jieun decided that she liked this version of Taeyeon a lot. She seemed more carefree and she’s proud that Taeyeon trusts her enough to be her normal self in front of Jieun.

“I’ve been alright, unnie.” Jieun smiled brightly, the one that made the nation fall in love with her. “Word on the street says you’re prepping up for another song release.”

Taeyeon gave her a lazy smile in return. “What tipped you off? The new haircut?” she said while giving a light fluff to the aforementioned bob.

She shook her head slightly in amusement. “It definitely confirmed the impression of a comeback but no, it’s just also my job to look out for competition here and there.”

Taeyeon didn’t reply right away and instead studied Jieun curiously. The younger girl was starting to feel warm and it wasn’t because of the bubbly alcohol. The gaze the older girl gave was so focused until Taeyeon finally seemed to have found what she was looking for, her lips curling up into a small smirk.

“Is that what I am to you? Competition?” She didn’t say it with spite, she sounded more like her interest was piqued, amused.

“Yes and… no,” Jieun could feel the warmth radiating from Taeyeon’s body seated next to her. “While it is true that in the entertainment industry, we could be perceived as competitors— rivals even. But the truth?” She turned her head to the side and regarded Taeyeon, her voice toned down into a whisper. “I’m just a simple fan awaiting new content from you every time possible.”

Jieun felt like she just admitted a deep secret and was starting to feel disconcerted. She tried to shove it down. It was the truth after all and maybe it was the alcohol that gave her the courage to admit it out loud but it’s been a few moments of Taeyeon being silent that perturbed her even more. Before she could abruptly stand up and run away with her tail in between her legs, Taeyeon’s warm hand covered her own sweaty ones. Jieun tried not to jump in shock, Taeyeon tightened her hold instead.

“Don’t run, you didn’t say anything wrong,” Taeyeon says as if she could sense the mess going on in Jieun’s mind. “I feel honored.” Her words weren’t anything else but sincere.

“That makes one of us,” Jieun mumbled while fighting the urge to cover her face and just wanting to vanish from the face of the planet. “You have no idea how embarrassed I feel right now, admitting that out loud and to you of all people.”

Taeyeon chuckled fretfully. “You say that like I’m extraordinary,” she shakes her head. “I’m nothing like that. I’m just a normal girl who likes to sing.” Taeyeon then looked away bashfully.

There was something in the way Taeyeon said it that made Jieun’s forehead knot into a frown. Like she didn’t know how amazing she truly was. And then it hit her, was that how Taeyeon perceived herself? Like she wasn’t the most remarkable person Jieun’s probably ever met?

One look at Taeyeon’s shy demeanor ratified Jieun’s musings. A fire suddenly sparked inside of her, urging her to prove Taeyeon wrong.

“You’re so much more than that, unnie.”

Taeyeon looks back at her. A mix of emotions swirling in her dark brown eyes, there was confusion in them and a sense of what looked like veiled curiosity. That amused smile was back and Jieun couldn’t look at anything else.

“You mean that, don’t you?”

Words were failing Jieun, rendered speechless all of a sudden. By what? She didn’t know, or maybe it was just the effect Taeyeon’s smile had on her. Ridiculous, honestly. All she could do was silently nod but sincerely in response. If it was possible, Taeyeon’s smile grew even brighter then. Jieun made sure to memorize all the lines and shapes that dimpled smile had to offer.

 

--

 

It started with a simple: “Congratulations on your new song release, unnie!” that turned into an impromptu invitation for a friendly hangout. Taeyeon should have known it was the precursor to a disaster waiting on a slippery slope the moment she hit send. It wasn’t like Taeyeon to do any of this. Heck she barely even left the confines of her own house unless dragged into the outside world by Tiffany or Yoona.

But this? It was all on her. And she had no way of backing out now, not when the reply she was anxiously waiting for finally came in.

“Pick me up at 8 then, unnie :)” the text on her phone screen said.

“,” she swore out loud but the small smile on her face betrayed the sentiment.

 

 

Taeyeon was ten minutes early. Call it a habit but she was never late to any appointment which was probably due to her years of training. At least that was one good thing that came out of her idol career. Although she was hard on herself, she didn’t treat others the same way if she could help it.

Thankfully she didn’t need to wait for too long when she heard a soft knock on the passenger’s window and spotted Jieun’s smiling face behind the glass. Taeyeon didn’t waste any time and quickly got out before covering the short distance to the other side of the car all so she could open the door for the younger girl. Jieun looked surprised, obviously not used to these kinds of gestures before she smiled playfully, narrowing her eyes at Taeyeon.

“Do you do this for all the girls you pick up, unnie?”

“I, wha—” Taeyeon spluttered, her eyes wide and panicked, not expecting that at all. She tried to recover and cleared . “I actually only do this for my mom. I don’t even know what came over me to be honest,” her forehead furrowed deeply.

It was said so sincerely that it almost knocked both the girls over. It was odd, Taeyeon found it difficult to say anything out loud so it baffled her how that admission easily went past her lips. She unconsciously raised her hand to rub the back of her neck, a nervous habit. Jieun noticed the bashful movement and tentatively reached out, touching Taeyeon’s elbow, careful not to spook her.

“I was just teasing, unnie. No one’s ever done that for me before. I thought it was sweet, thank you,” Jieun said reassuringly and it was enough to pull Taeyeon out of her dubious state and mirror the warm smile.

Taeyeon was expecting things to be awkward. After all, it was the first time the two girls hung out with each other outside of work or acquaintance. Instead of her expectations, Taeyeon was met with easy conversations and fond teasing, more reasons to laugh and smile— two things she hasn’t done much in the past months. She was grateful, she never knew how much one girl could completely turn her world around like that with ease.

Even eating was satisfying again. It’s been so long since Taeyeon actually enjoyed a meal— hell she’s never had much of an appetite to begin with. She’s only ever liked food when it was in the company of her members or family. But she’s finally coming to terms with the joy and warmth a simple bowl of steaming noodles could provide her.

Taeyeon had the strongest urge to call Sooyoung and finally admit that she was right, that food was the best thing in the world. She wouldn’t know how to explain how she got to that conclusion though.

What would she even say? That conversations with an intriguing companion over food made it feel more authentic? Or that just watching Jieun fill herself was enough to appease her own hunger?

Taeyeon wanted to laugh. Yeah that would go over really well with Sooyoung. She was probably never going to tell her— or any of the girls for that matter— but it did help to wind down her thoughts that never seemed to rest.

She decid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter