Never Let Go

Goodbye Winter

 The room was dark. She couldn’t see anything even with the small shine of the moon escaping the gap between the curtains and the window. Add to that the cold season currently happening and the harsh snowfall outside. It was a gloomy winter for the person in the room. She suddenly woke up and started to worry, negative thoughts began to invade her mind. She was having her panic attack with all the negativity and sadness filling her whole being. Beside the bed she just sat there while hugging her knees, waiting… waiting for this dream to end, no… not dream… but a nightmare.

//Flashback: January 12, 2020//

“Yena-unnie! Come back here!” A short girl shouted, and the said girl just ran even faster. Yuri, the girl currently pouting while finding her friend, began sulking when the girl named Yena came back to her wearing her duck-esque smile. “Come on, Yuri-ah~ Stop pouting already, it’s killing me with its cuteness~” Yena said while pinching the cheeks of the pouting hamster.

“’Sup guys! Am I disturbing something?” A tall girl approached them and smirked at the sight she was currently seeing.

“Oh, Kwangbae you’re here already? I imagined you’d arrive in about… 3 hours?” Yena said jokingly while also getting smacked by the said girl. The three girls then went on their way to the mall since their friend Chaewon was getting married in a few days and they wanted to give her a special gift. “What should we give her? She’s like, super rich!” Yena said while scratching her head cutely, making her girlfriend coo at her cuteness and squish her cheeks. They were all having a good time when Hyewon’s phone suddenly rang.

“Hyewon-unnie~” The voice on the line said and the all listened to the voice. “Pwease buy my Chaewonnie something she would appweciate~ It doesn’t have to be bwanded or anything.” They all squealed at the cuteness of the Japanese girl when she suddenly changed her tone. “But seriously guys, it doesn’t have to be expensive as hell. Yes, I know she’s rich, but she really likes simple things; things that she wouldn’t normally spend money on.” The girl’s tone quickly changed and Yena was about to ask a question when Yuri cut her off.

“She meant we should buy Chaewon-unnie something that she’d appreciate not because of the price or value, but the meaning and thought behind it. It didn’t have to be as expensive as jewelry or bags but maybe simple like a cute hat or something.” Yuri said and the two people in front of her were in awe, even the girl on the phone was speechless.

“But Yuri-ah, how did you know what Yena-unnie was going to ask?” The girl on the phone asked and the look on Yena and Hyewon’s faces showed that they were thinking the same thing. “Hitomi-chan, I know my girlfriend very well. I know when she’ll ask something stupid.” She said while laughing at her now pouting girlfriend.

“What the hell, Yuri!” Hyewon said while laughing too hard. She accidentally pats Yuri’s back and she blushed at the sudden contact. “Why am I blushing? I have a girlfriend for heaven’s sake.” She shook that thought off and continued shopping for the engaged couple.

 

<3

 

“You may now kiss the bride!” The priest said and the newlywed couple did as was told. Everyone was cheering for them, especially Yena and Yuri. Hyewon was also with them, stealing a quick glance at her friends and feeling something she shouldn’t feel to one of them.

“Wahh Hii-chan~” Yuri approached the bride and hugged her tightly. Yena and Hyewon followed behind and also went in for the hug, with Chaewon also joining. “Congrats to the both of you! I never knew I’d see the day that this tsundere here would get married, yet here we are.” Hyewon said tearing up at the sight of her best friends that just got married.

“It’s alright unnie! Someday you’ll find the person for you too!” Chaewon said while hugging her new wife. “I think I already found her… but she’s someone else’s girl…” She said to herself while eyeing the bickering couple. “I’m not supposed to feel this way but… I can’t help it…” “Hyewon-ah, whatever you’re thinking, stop it.” A familiar voice said next to her as she continued looking at the couple far from where they stood.

“How did you- ah… If anyone’s going to know what’s in my mind, it’s sure to be the one and only Miyawaki Sakura- oh I mean, Lee Kkura.” Hyewon said to the girl beside her. “Dude, I don’t know who but I know it’s one of them. Stop this, something bad will only come out of it.” Sakura said while patting her shoulder. “There are many other girls out there; there’s the Japanese girl from our college… Miona, or maybe one of our seniors, or maybe-” She was cut off when Hyewon spoke.

“I’m sorry, Kkura. I’ve been feeling this way for a long time now, and I know its bad but I can’t help it. She won’t even know. I know I’m betraying my best friend but… let’s just let this topic go and enjoy the party.” Hyewon said, finality in her voice and left the Japanese girl dumbfounded.

 

< 3

 

//Present//

The light reflected from the window made the once gloomy room bright again, however the gloom was still there. A girl was there, still hugging her knees but asleep. Stains on her face were also there, result of her crying all night. Despite the bright sunlight reflected throughout the room, she was still asleep. Even when her roommate entered the room, she was still asleep. Only when her roommate rushed towards her was she awakened from her sleep.

“Yah Yena!” The person shouted, full of worry. “Y-yuri?” Yena said, voice hoarse from all the wailing and crying the night before. “Yena… its Chaeyeon… I’m sorry…” The girl said as Yena hugged her knees once more and cried.

“Chaeyeon-ah, how? How could she do that to me? 2 years… 2 years, we were enjoying our lives; we got each of our dream jobs and supported each other along the way… I even went a few days off work just because she was injured from her job! I took care of her almost our whole lives… All of that, thrown away for who? HER!” Yena said as she wailed the whole time Chaeyeon was there. Chaeyeon could do nothing but she just stood there with her the whole day and comforted her best friend.

“Babe! You forgot your phone- Oh…” A voice outside the room said and the two friends just stood there, unmoving. “Kkura-yah!!” Yena cried and Sakura immediately went to her and hugged her. “How long have you been crying?” The girl said while caressing her friend’s back, comforting her. “She was already a wreck ever since I got home. Poor duck. She deserved happiness and she was played.” Chaeyeon said as she joined the hug.

“What happened anyway? I was with Eunbi-unnie and Minju when it happened.” Sakura asked and Chaeyeon was about to talk when Yena interrupted. “Are you sure you’re ready to talk about it? It’s alright if you don’t want to yet but-“  

“It’s ok, Chae… I’ll tell the story…” Yena said and Chaeyeon could only give her a sad smile.

 

 

“Ok…”