Forever More

Nevermore

Idk I just wanted to add to this, though I have no clue where it would go from here. Feel free to leave any ideas but I can’t promise I’ll continue.

 

Forever More

 

Elkie lay back on their lavish bed, watching Tzuyu as she meditated.

 

She looked healthier than she had a few weeks ago when they arrived at the small village of Nevermore. They had mainly kept to themselves, not yet venturing out into town and only seeing Momo when she dropped off this months blood supply. Tzuyu had been doing well practising her restraint, going as long as she could between feeds. Due to her newborn status they would get extra blood packs to account for her blood thirst, yet she still depleted most of their supply.

 

It had upset her a little, even though Elkie had assured she could survive off of two packs per month. Tzuyu had countered that she didn’t want Elkie to only survive, she wanted her to feel nourished and happy. The elder vampire’s sacrifices had never been lost on the newborn and she could only hope she could one day repay the kindness she had been shown. Though, if you were to ask Elkie, she would just say that having Tzuyu snuggled up to her like this was payment enough.

 

“Stop staring.”

 

“I can’t help it.” Elkie chuckled, pressing a kiss to the top of her head, “Seeing your beautiful heart is like staring into the sun, and I will gladly go blind, for I cannot look away.”

 

Tzuyu’s eyes opened and she looked up, “John Mark Green?”

 

“You’re learning.”

 

“I have a great teacher.” Tzuyu lifted her head to peck her girlfriend’s lips, then she cuddled back into her previous position, “Tell me another.”

 

Elkie thought for a moment, hand idly her mates back, “The highway is full of big cars

going nowhere fast, And folks is smoking anything that’ll burn…

 

This was the first poem to come to mind.

 

Some people wrap their lies around a cocktail glass, and you sit wondering, where you’re going to turn…

 

It was by Maya Angelou and always reminded her of Tzuyu.

 

“I got it. Come. And be my baby…”

 

Though most poems now reminded her of Tzuyu. And had the poets themselves ever seen her beauty in person, she could easily have become their muse.

 

Some prophets say the world is gonna end tomorrow, but others say we’ve got a week or two…

 

The poem itself was about how the entire world could go to hell and it wouldn’t matter because they’d still have each other.

 

“The paper is full of every kind of blooming horror, and you sit wondering, what you’re gonna do…”

 

To Elkie it was about finding comfort in someone even as the world crumbled around you, about finding that one person to ground you.

 

“I got it. Come. And be my baby.” Elkie finished, letting the last line hang in the air a moment,

 

Tzuyu hummed, “That one’s sad.”

 

“Is it?” Elkie frowned in thought,

 

“The idea of being so helpless as everything breaks around you.”

 

“I suppose. But I prefer to view the other side, the idea of finding someone that makes all of that fade into the background.”

 

“That makes sense.” Tzuyu sighed, eyes tightly closed in comfort, “I’m hungry.”

 

Elkie mentally counted how many blood packs they had left, “Can you wait a couple of days? I just want to make sure we have enough to get through the month.”

 

She felt Tzuyu nod against her chest, “I’ll be okay.”

 

“Good girl,” Elkie smiled, continuing to rub circles on her back, “Besides, I don’t feel like moving right now.”

 

“Me neither.” Tzuyu giggled,

 

Elkie kissed the top of her head, planning to relax a while longer. However, reality had always seemed to hate her and so as if on cue the couple heard a knock at the door. The older vampire groaned, clinging to her mate’s waist as she got up to answer the door. Tzuyu laughed as she was pulled back to laying on her girlfriend’s chest.

 

“Noooo tell whoever it is to off.”

 

Knock, knock, knock.

 

“They’re not going to go away,” Tzuyu reasoned, “Besides - only Sana comes by and you don’t mind her.”

 

“I only don’t hate her when she’s not talking.”

 

“She’s nice.” Tzuyu rolled her eyes and struggled out of Elkie’s grasp, “You should be too!”

 

Elkie just grumbled and buried her head into the pillow. Tzuyu smiled softly at the lump in the bed and went to answer the door. Just as she suspected, the enthusiastic knocker was indeed Sana from next door. Once again, Momo was stood quietly glaring behind her. It was somewhat unnerving but part of Tzuyu was glad not to be completely alone with the immortal. Sure, Sana couldn’t die but that didn’t mean Tzuyu couldn’t hurt her due to her intense blood thirst.

 

“Good morning Tzuyu!” Sana chirped, “How are you?”

 

“I’m okay,” Tzuyu greeted, then looked at Momo, “Hi Momo.”

 

The other woman nodded quietly in greeting.

 

“Is Elkie around?”

 

“She’s in bed still,” Tzuyu rolled her eyes, “Elkie…doesn’t like socialising.”

 

Sana snorted, “Sounds like little Miss Sunshine behind me.”

 

Momo looking annoyed at the statement but Tzuyu thought it would be wiser not to point that out.

 

“Anyway,” Sana continued, “Since it’s been a month since you two joined our little town, I thought it was time for you two to meet everyone else. There’s going to be a welcome party in the square.”

 

“That sounds nice,” Tzuyu sighed, “But I don’t know if Elkie will want to.”

 

Sana’s bright look never dimmed, “Ask her, if she doesn’t want to come then that’s okay. But I hope you’ll at least be there.”

 

Tzuyu had a slight personal fault which often got her into trouble. She was a people pleaser and ergo had a very hard time saying no. Need help moving? Sure! Want the last piece of cake? It’s all yours! Blood quest to the pits of hell? She’ll grab a sword! Because of this, Tzuyu often ended up in ridiculous situations. And with Sana’s bright eyes begging her to join them, she really couldn’t think of a way out of it.

 

“I’ll ask Elkie and meet you there.”

 

“Yay! It’ll be so much fun!” Sana hugged her, forcing Tzuyu to focus on anything other than the blood rushing through her veins,

 

Sensing the struggle the newborn was having, or just trying to prevent her girlfriend becoming a vamp snack, Momo gently pried Sana off of her. Tzuyu agreed to meet them in the town centre and watched as the blonde skipped up the path, dragging Momo along with her.

 

Now to convince Elkie.

 

______

 

Elkie herself had her own personal fault that caused her to get herself in ridiculous situations. She was whipped. Tzuyu would say jump and Elkie would ask how high! Tzuyu would say “We’re going to a party in the middle of town square” and Elkie would whine and say “Fine”. Hence why she was now walking towards Twice Square with her arm linked with her hands in her pockets and Tzuyu’s arm linked through.

 

The centre of town, known as Twice Square, was lit up by the street lamps and piles of candles. Paper chains were swung from lamp to lamp and a long table had been erected at the far end towards the pond. Various foods had been placed on there as well as a cauldron containing what Elkie assumed, according to her partying knowledge from several college experiences, punch or alcohol. It vaguely reminded her of a Halloween party but with less pumpkins.

 

The pond ran all the way through the square with a bridge over the centre. It looked picturesque, with lily-pads dotted across the water and long reeds decorating the edges. Their was a bench on the bridge and vaguely Elkie thought it was be a nice place to read.

 

So cliche.

 

Still, Sana looked as though she had worked hard to set all this up and Elkie found she couldn’t fault her for that. All she had to do was survive for an hour and then Tzuyu promised to make an excuse so that they could go home. That wasn’t all she had promised but in order to keep things PG, nobody needed to know what the other stipulation was. As they walked closer Elkie heard Tzuyu gasp, probably at the witches using magic to hang decorations.

 

There were a lot of new and exciting creatures at the party and Elkie had forgotten that this was the first time Tzuyu was seeing them in person. Like most humans, Tzuyu had never believed in vampires or werewolves or any of it until Elkie. Then she herself had been turned, giving up mortality for a life she had little information of. It sent a pang through her unbeating chest, the memory of Tzuyu having to leave everything she knew behind.

 

Elkie turned to look at the woman beside her, marvelling at the childlike wonder on her face. Like the whole world was new and exciting. Elkie didn’t deserve her, she really didn’t. But she would do her best to get there. Gently, she unlinked their arms and held her hand. Tzuyu turned to her in question but Elkie just pulled her towards the party. Sana immediately ran over to them and pulled them into a bone crushing hug. Momo sauntering over also, Elkie deduced she was nervous about her mate around a newborn.

 

“You came!”

 

“This better be good,” Tzuyu chuckled, quickly pulling away, “I damn near sold her my soul to get her here.”

 

“You make me sound evil.” Elkie muttered, letting go of her mate’s hand,

 

Sana giggled, linking arms with Tzuyu, “Come, let me introduce you to everyone!”

 

“You two go ahead,” Momo spoke up, “Elkie and I will get some drinks.”

 

“Vampires can drink?” Tzuyu asked, cocking her head,

 

Momo raised an eyebrow, “It’s more for the taste than for nourishment, but yes. We can.”

 

Tzuyu looked amazed and let Sana pull her towards a crowd. Elkie spotted some of the council members nearby and so chose to follow Momo as to not get caught alone. The duo walked over to the food table and Momo began filling some red solo cups with the liquid in the cauldron. Elkie snorted, don’t have bulbs in their street lamps but do have solo cups. Make up your mind, Nevermore.

 

Momo handed her a cup, “You seem to be about as thrilled to be here as I am.”

 

Elkie hummed and took a sip, surprisingly it was good.

 

“Before we were summoned here we had a quiet little cottage in the middle of nowhere.” Elkie sighed, “I don’t mix well with others.”

 

“I’ve always been here,” Momo said, “But that’s a different story.”

 

Elkie chose not to pry, “So, who are all these people?”

 

“Let’s see…I’ll skip anyone annoying.” Momo looked around, “Those three over there.”

 

Momo nodded towards a trio opposite them, one talking and the other two laughing at whatever she was saying.

 

“The tall one is Jeongyeon, the Head Alpha of the werewolves. She sits on the council but she’s pretty cool. The short blonde is her Lieutenant, Chaeyoung. She’s an artsy nerdy type so not a threat. The other girl is called Dahyun, she’s a witch. She sells potions, nothing fancy.”

 

“Who’s head of the witches now?” Elkie asked, “It’s been a while since I’ve been in the loop.”

 

“Still Irene, Selugi took over as her lieutenant.” Momo explained,

 

“Ah yes. I remember.”

 

“Sana is Top Immortal as you know,” Momo’s gaze softened as she looked towards her partner, “Eunha, a fairy, is her lieutenant and the human representative and lieutenant don’t live here full time.”

 

“Who are they talking with?” Elkie asked, referring to the wide eyed woman that their mates were talking with,

 

“That’s Jihyo, she’s the mayor - the most powerful witch in the world.”

 

“Really?” Elkie raised an eyebrow, “And she didn’t get the job as head of witches?”

 

“Turned it down.” Momo shrugged, “I don’t know why, but she prefers to look after the town as mayor instead. I assume you know those two behind her?”

 

Elkie nodded, “Mina and Nayeon. Queen of Vampires and her lackey.”

 

“Good.” Momo grunted, “Mina’s fine when unprovoked but Nayeon is an agent of chaos when she wants to be.”

 

Elkie knew that already.

 

“So, what’s your story?” Momo asked,

 

“Huh?”

 

“Rumour is you were a lone wolf,” Momo explained, “How’d you adopt a pet?”

 

Elkie glared, “Don’t call her that.”

 

Momo just blinked, unphased.

 

“My coven and I moved to a small town and she went to college in town. Classic girl meets vampiric mate in a sleepy little town. Very Twilight with less sparkling.”

 

Momo cracked a smile at that, “Cute. And I’m guess you turned her quickly?”

 

Elkie suddenly became interested in her glass.

 

“I had to.” She muttered,

 

That peaked Momo interest, “She get attacked?”

 

“No.” Elkie sighed, “Cancer. About a year into our relationship she was diagnosed.”

 

“Damn…”

 

“I had resigned myself to letting her grow old in front of me,” Elkie started confessing, unsure as to why, “Living her whole life together. I didn’t want to turn her and take away the things that were taken from me. But when they gave her three months…”

 

“It changed things.” Momo understood,

 

“I couldn’t bare it.” Elkie sighed, looking up to watch as Tzuyu laughed at something Sana was saying, “If I am allowed to do one selfish thing, it was that.”

 

“It’s not selfish,” Momo muttered, apathetic, “You gave her a second chance. I doubt she holds it against you.”

 

Elkie smiled, “I am forever hers.”

 

“Lame.”

 

_____

 

The party was in full swing. Elkie had rejoined Tzuyu and been pulled into conversation with Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung. Momo had been right that the two werewolves were pretty cool. They were incredibly unfunny but them laughing at their own jokes was somewhat infectious. Tzuyu was just happy that Elkie was taking part and getting to know people. She had been worried that the older vampire would withdraw from the festivities and Tzuyu didn’t want her isolating herself.

 

It was a little overwhelming, back when she was mortal she had thought all of this was myth. Vampires, werewolves, witches, fairies…everything. She had laughed when Elkie first confessed her true nature. Neither had expected for her to actually become one of the undead. The elder vampire had been completely against it. Then Tzuyu got sick and that changed her mind. The one resentment Tzuyu had was that Elkie hadn’t really talked to her about it.

 

They had been…being intimate and Elkie suddenly bit her. She apologised profusely after, horrified that her fear of losing Tzuyu had led to her turning the mortal. Tzuyu had always hoped she would one day but only wished she could have said her goodbye’s first. Instead one of Elkie’s old coven had called her family and told them the illness took her sooner than they thought. Still the world . After-life was too long for resentments.

 

“And then…hahaa...then he hit her…hahaha…WITH THE AVACADO!” Chaeyoung cackled in near hysterics,

 

Elkie chuckled politely, “That might be one of those ‘you had to be there’ things.”

 

“You lost me at the gerbil hat.” Tzuyu added,

 

Jeongyeon laughed, “Oh well, better luck next time Chae.”

 

“No, no!” Chaeyoung yelled, arms flailing, “You just didn’t get it, let me start again! So there’s this penguin right---”

 

“WATCH OUT!”

 

Grateful for the distraction, Tzuyu and Elkie both snapped their heads towards the sound. Sana appeared to have tripped and was currently laid face down on the concrete. Immediately, Momo was by her side. Helping her up with the softest gaze either woman had seen from her before. Once upright, Sana cradled Momo’s head in her hands. Whispering that she was okay.

 

Elkie smirked, “Looks like Momo’s a softy, aye Tzuyu?…Tzu?”

 

She turned to her mate and found Tzuyu wasn’t listening to her. Instead she was staring at the red substance present on Sana’s knee. She was bleeding and Tzuyu was hungry.

 

“Tzuyu, no…”

 

Tzuyu didn’t listen and suddenly she shot forward, running at newborn speed towards the other couple. Everyone stopped in shock and Momo was quick to pull Sana behind her thanks to her reflexes. However, with Elkie’s enhanced speed she was able to get ahead and hold Tzuyu back. She stood before her, hands on her shoulders.

 

“Tzuyu, it’s okay.” Elkie told her, “Focus, you need to relax.”

 

Tzuyu was still looking through her, imagining the taste of blood.

 

“Look at me,” Elkie grabbed her chin and moved her head to make eye contact, “You need to stop. Sana is your friend.”

 

Tzuyu’s eyes softened, allowing the message to get through. She nodded and let Elkie gently push her back, putting space between her and Sana. She turned to mutter an apology to the other couple, Momo nodded in understanding and Sana looked unphased. The party slowly began to go on once again and Elkie sat Tzuyu down and knelt before her.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Yeah,” Tzuyu looked guilty, “I just lost control for a moment. I’m hungry.”

 

“I know, baby.” Elkie sighed, “If you can’t wait a couple more days I’d rather you eat.”

 

“No, I can.” Tzuyu exclaimed, “I want to. I’m sick of always being hungry, I need to build restraint.”

 

Elkie looked pensive. But before she could voice it she was interrupted.

 

“That was quite the show.”

 

Elkie turned and stood, not expected Myoui Mina to be stood behind her. The Queen of Vampires remained unphased at Elkie’s glare. Eye’s stuck on Tzuyu with interest.

 

“Most newborns would have tossed aside anybody in their way.” Mina continued, “But you showed restraint. Your bloodlust isn’t as intense as your kin. Truly fascinating.”

 

“What can I say?” Elkie growled, “My Tzuyu is a special girl.”

 

“Indeed.” Mina replied, a small smile gracing her lips, “I’ll be keeping an eye on you, Tzuyu. I’m intrigued.”

 

“Don’t be.” Elkie said, stepping between them, “Tzuyu is MY responsibility. It’s none of your concern until it becomes problematic.”

 

“All vampires are my concern.” Mina’s small smiled never faded even as she turned to leave, “But I’ll leave you to it, enjoy the party.”

 

Then she glided away, back over to where the other council members were.

 

“AlL vAmPiReS aRe My CoNcErN…” Elkie mocked, “.”

 

Tzuyu sighed, “Ignore her. Can we go home? I’m not in the mood to party any more.”

 

Elkie looked at her and frowned, upset that Tzuyu’s previous good mood had been ruined by something natural. Tzuyu had yet to feed on anyone, Elkie would always do the hunting and bring blood back to her. So no wonder she was shaken about wanting to bite someone, but still Elkie couldn’t help but feel guilty.

 

“Okay.” Elkie sighed, sensing Tzuyu wouldn’t want a big talk in public like this, “Let’s go back to the house.”

 

She reached out a hand and Tzuyu took it. Tired from today’s events they decided to just leave and spend their evening reading poetry and laying in bed.

 

Tzuyu ignoring her hunger and Elkie ignoring her guilt.