Chapter 6

Blue;Season
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejin broke the yolk of one of the eggs resting on top of her bowl of rice. She never managed to get such perfect yolks in the dorm and was ready to tune the world out. She wanted to enjoy a real breakfast free from the rubbery consistency heat lamps seemed to give every meal she ate at their cafeteria. 

 

"I'm tired of it already!" Wheein dragged Hyejin back to the real world.

"Of your breakfast? Ok, but you'll get cramps later. Just leave it there, I'll-" Hyejin said between chews. 

"What? No, I'm eating this. I meant I'm tired of the unnies." Hyejin nodded thoughtfully. No matter how obvious it seemed to be to anyone who watched them, her unnies were denser than the protein bars Byul always demanded they eat during practice. 

 

"So, we're doing something about it. Now eat."

"But what are we doing, exactly?" Wheein dug into her bowl violently. 

"I don't know, you were the one who seemed so sure of what we could do to ditch them."

"I narrowed it down to two places," Wheein took a bite, "laser tag and go-karts."

"Good choices. So what's the problem?"

"The problem is which one do we choose? They're both hyper-competitive. They'll make it easy to lose without drawing suspicion."

"Don't we want them to, I don't know, work together?" Hyejin took a sip of her water bottle, washing down the last of her food. 

"Do they have to?" Wheein took another large bite of her food. They'd woken up late and enjoyed their late breakfast. If they were to dupe their unnies into being alone together, they needed to develop a plan and invite them out before the two decided on spending the day in their separate beds playing on their phones. 

 

"Well, yeah. We want them to be alone together. If we kart race, there's one winner and three losers. We need them to be on a team, really build up that partnership dynamic. Laser tag is a better option for that, don't you think?"

 

"Mmmm." Wheein chewed the last of her food thoughtfully. "Yeah, yeah, I see your point. Yongsunnie is good with guns, and Byulyi unnie will do anything for Yongsun. We could even double-team Yongsunnie, really push Byulyi unnie to want to protect her. And Yong unnie is such a princess."

 

"Corner Yong unnie, Byulyi comes to her rescue. She gets to be Yong unnie's hero, and Yong unnie gets an excuse to fawn over Byulyi."

 

"Ah! Hyejinnie, you're a genius! I'll call the place now to make sure we don't need to reserve it or anything."

 

"I know," Hyejin stood to clear off the table while Wheein made her call. She text the SM girls to confirm their plans and plopped down onto the bed. 

 

"We need stakes." Wheein huffed as she fell back onto the bed. 

"We just ate! I mean, I'm game, but I won't have an appetite until later."

"What? No, I mean betting stakes. We need to make them really want to win."

"Steaks," Hyejin muttered. 

"Yes."

"No, I mean, let's make steaks the stakes." Hyejin chuckled.

"A fancy dinner, clever."

"How much do you want to bet Yong unnie will whine when we ditch them, and Byulyi will give in and buy her dinner anyway?"

"I don't take losing bets, Byulyi will love the chance to show off some of that sponsor money she's been getting." Wheein scoffed. 

"They're going to make us buy them dinner eventually, you know." Hyejin sighed

"Who cares? We'll buy them dinner at the food stand outside of campus. We'll be able to ditch them to go have their mushy date and go have some food more friendly to our wallets." Wheein stood abruptly and got her shoes on. 

"Are we going now?" Hyejin followed her. 

"No time like the present." Wheein opened their hotel room door and headed next door, knocking loudly until Byul opened the door. "Get in losers, we're going to play laser tag."

 

"Not that I'm opposed, but there's nothing to get into unless you stole Coach's van."

 

"It's an EXPRESSION!" Wheein shouted. 

"LEGGO!" Yongsun brushed past Byul, her shoes haphazardly secured on her feet. 

"I'll grab my shoes." Hyejin took Wheein's place in the doorway while she and Yongsun giggled down the hallway.

"Hurry unnie, or they'll get there before you finish." 




 

"Yongkong Byulkong v two young girls," Wheein said as she strapped the vest across her torso. 

"Like you two were ever going to separate." Byul scoffed as she helped Yongsun strap into her vest. 

"That's rich coming from you," Hyejin mumbled from the wall she leaned against. 

"What was that?" Byul's head whipped in her direction. 

"Nothing. Let's make it interesting."

"What, like a bet?" Yongsun's eyes seemed to gleam at the prospect of more than a friendly competition.

"Steaks for stakes. Winners get a steak dinner from the losers." Wheein stated as she grabbed a light gun off the wall and synched it to her vest.

"Ah how convenient, I was just thinking about how much I would love some grilled meat soon. Seems like my prayers were answered." Byul helped Yongsun synch her gun before patting her shoulder and strapping on her own vest.

"You'll need to win first. Wheeinie and I played this a lot freshman year." Hyejin knew it was a bald-faced lie, but Byulyi didn't know them then, and Yongsun was still just their weird unnie, not their captain or friend yet. 

"And this nerd does nothing but play video games in her free time." Yongsun smacked Byul on the back.

"Hey!"

"Truth hurts, Byulyi. Well, it's settled then. I hope your wallets are ready, I always work up an appetite after shooting." Yongsun crossed her arms, a dangerous glint in her eye. Maybe they wouldn't need to throw the match after all. 

 

"Hyejinie skipped a snack to play with you, make sure you feed her well!" Wheein singsonged.

"Then she should have worn a different shirt," Byul said severely. Hyejin looked down as Wheein whipped around. White. Hyejin had worn white. To a laser tag match. A match that would take place all in a room lit by black lights. She was going to light up like a Christmas tree. Good thing they weren't playing to win. 

 

"What's wrong with my shirt? At least we didn't match couple clothes like some people." Hyejin never knew if it was entirely intentional or some kind of creepy synergy. Still, her unnies always had an uncanny ability to match their outfits. Today being no exception, she gestured at their matching sweaters in contrasting colors. Even the customization they'd decided on matched in theme. Moon for Byul and Sun for Yongsun, there really wasn't any debating their affection when they shopped for matching outfits." You two really were made for each other."

 

"Less talking, more shooting." Yongsun selected her team and headed into the darkened room, Byul following close behind. 

 

"It's a good thing we aren't trying to win," Hyejin muttered as she selected her team. 

"No joke, Yongsunnie can be scary when she's serious." Wheein selected her team and looked into the room. She found an elevated platform; she was pretty sure she could get to with some effort. "I'll cover you from up there. You can't play stealth, so just...run around and shoot anything you see."

 

Hyejin shout

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter