Fin.

Running Home

"Yo." Yena hummed in reply, not looking up from her pc, hands moving vigorously on her keyboard. "What ya doing?"

 

"A little busy here Chaewon." Yena half sang, half grumbled out. She pressed the keys a little faster. Got one. "Talk later okay?"

 

"So Minjoo and I are going on a date this weekend."

 

"Like every other day." She hid her character under her temporary build, making it wrap itself with bandages. 

 

"And we're going to this diner for lunch before the movies."

 

"Sounds exciting." Oh someone just shot at her. Just great. She's not even done with healing herself yet and she's already getting damages?!

 

"And Minjoo's going to be bringing her best friend, Yuri, along. Super cute girl, positive you'll like her."

 

"Sure will." Yena clenched her lips tightly. It's a 1v1. She didn't know how she got here but heck she was going to win this game for once. 

 

"So I was thinking..." Building up, building up, oh! Got some nice shots! Yena pressed her keyboard faster. Should've bought a controller. "Would you come along be her date?"

 

Yena's fingers stuttered, and that's the only opening the other guy needed before taking his final shot to her head. 

 

"Wait what??"

 


 

"Hey, I told you to put the pan in the cabinet after it dried." Yuri sighed, annoyance creeping up again. It had been like this for the past few days now, maybe even weeks. 

 

"Uhhh can't I do it later?" Yena responded distractedly. She felt Yuri narrowing her eyes at the game console in her hands. 

 

"Doesn't matter now." Yuri grumbled as she closed the cabinet doors. "Can't you do things immediately when I told you to? I'm getting tired of repeating myself." 

 

Yena let out a small yelp, groaning once before turning towards Yuri with a smile, her Switch now turned off. "I know I know, but it's not like I won't do it. I was gonna do it later, you know. In the end, the pan will still be in the cabinet."

 

Yena saw how her lover tried hard to not let herself frown, holding back that prickle of annoyance from intensifying.

 

"That's not the same, Yena. Now and later have different meanings."

 

"That's silly." Yena chuckled nonchalantly, and something about how she said it and how she laughed at it may have made Yuri think Yena was laughing at her, mocking her. She saw the familiar haze in Yuri's eyes. 

 

Oh god. Yena realised too late what she just did. 

 

"I'm gonna go to the convenience store."

 

"Wait what?" Yena stood up, her eyebrows furrowing. "It's raining cats and dogs out there!" Her voice softened, "Hey, did I say some-"

 

"I just need to buy some milk after you forgot to tell me the ones before expired." Yuri took the umbrella standing by the doorway, closed the door before Yena could get another word out.

 

Yena watched solemnly as the door closed. Her head fell to the back of the couch. God how could she be so stupid, even after 4 years? She blamed animal crossing for making her lose her mind. 

 

Without waiting for another precious second, Yena grabbed a zip up hoodie and the pair of shoes she just bought. 

 

If she was Yuri, being upset with her stupid self, where would she go?

 


 

People walking their dogs. Kids yelling and chasing each other around. Couples having a picnic on the ground. The park was lively on the weekends, and maybe that's why Yena decided to be a little crazy. 

 

"Do you wanna go out with me?" Yena watched as Yuri's eyes widened ever so slightly in surprise. "I know we've only known each other for like a week." She chuckled, the sound shaky and hesitant. "But... I really like you. And I'm glad I said yes when Chaewon invited me to that date."

 

Yuri was still silent beside her, and Yena had her eyes glued to the ground, her legs pulled up to her chest. It was a bit uncomfortable with how tiny the bench was, but it was a lot more bearable than the silence between them. 

 

The sun was blinding her, and she regret going out without a little sunblock. Her skin felt sticky with sweat. 

 

She'd take the blazing heat any day over what comes out of Yuri's lips next. 

 

"I don't date people on a wimp."

 

Oh. 

 

Yena could already feel her heart shattering. 

 

Suddenly it felt a little cold. 

 


 

The night was cold, which was to be expected. It's late, and raining, and she's not even wearing a coat. The bench she's sitting on soaked her pants and the back of her shirt. The park was empty save herself and the stray cat curling itself inside the slides. 

 

It's official, she's crazy. 

 

Why was she so upset at Yena anyway? She was the one who readily said yes when Yena asked her to move in. She should've thought about it more. She shouldn't have acted so irrationally emotional and agree so willingly. Maybe they just weren't ready to move in yet. This was silly.

 

She's silly. 

 

Suddenly a figure stopped a few paces in front of her, and Yuri looked up to see Yena panting heavily, soaking wet and hair in all kinds of mess. Under the rain. With no umbrella. Yuri stood up quickly from the wet bench, trying to hold up her own umbrella for the both of them, only for the older girl to back away. Yuri stared at the latter in confusion. 

 

"What are you doing?!" Yuri hissed. With the heavy rain around them, she had to shout if she wanted to be heard. Not to mention Yena refusing to get under her umbrella, letting herself be drenched from head to toe. 

 

"I'm sorry!" Yena shouted over the sound of rain hitting asphalt. "Im really sorry! I was insensitive and stupid and I unintentionally hurt you." Yuri opened quickly, trying to deny it but was cut off just as quick. "And before you say otherwise, I know you were. Trust me when I say I never want to see you get hurt. Ever." The older girl took a single step forward. "Especially because of me." Yena could barely open her eyes, but Yuri could still see the desperate plead in them. 

 

"Even over some silly little thing?" Yuri bit her lower lip, her voice quieter than she meant to. She almost thought Yena couldn't hear her until the older girl's voice cut through the thought. 

 

"But that's exactly it, isn't it?" Yena took another gentle step forward, voice lowering just the slightest. "It's not silly, at least not for you, and I'm sorry I was too stupid to see that."

 

Yuri felt the corner of her eyes stinging. "Stop calling yourself stupid." She chuckled. "You're not stupid." Yuri stated firmly, a small smile starting to curl up her lips. "Except when you came out the house without an umbrella, are you stupid?!"

 

Yena laughed, loud and boisterous, and Yuri almost missed the sound even though she had heard it everyday for the past 4 years. Yena shook off the water from her face in failure, blinking rapidly just to be able to see. "I am though!"

 

Yuri could never be mad at Yena for long. She never had a reason to. Because even when they argue, when they had difference of opinions, when they can't seem to understand each other, they would try. They always do. 

 

Yena always do. 

 

So maybe Yena was stupid. For drinking milk without looking at the expiration date, for not placing the pan back into the cabinet. For running out in the rain without an umbrella. For still tolerating with Yuri even with her ridiculous demands. But maybe Yuri was just as stupid because she still loves her despite everything. Because Yuri knew that if it wasn't Yena, she would've never even consideredsaying yes. 

 

So just staring at Yena's big relieved grin as the rain continued to fall from the dark blue sky, Yuri felt stupid all over again. Her hold on the umbrella slowly loosened until it hit the ground and Yuri could feel the water hitting her with no mercy.

 

She could see Yena's eyes widening for a second before Yuri pulled her in and closed the space between them. Yuri pressed her lips against the older girl's, head tilted up just slightly, hands tangling into Yena's hair. Their wet clothes clung onto each other and Yuri could feel Yena's hand holding her waist tightly, as if any less she might've lose her. Yuri almost forgot the surrounding they're in with how addictively Yena felt, invading all her senses. 

 

However the rain was falling even heavier than before that it started to sting where it touched Yuri's skin, and the two had to separate if they actually want to breathe properly. Yena grabbed the fallen umbrella with one hand and took ahold of one of Yuri's hand with her other, intertwining their fingers together before they both made a run for it in the direction of their apartment. 

 

"The movies made it seem so romantic!" Yena yelled out, turning back to look at her for a second. "Kissing under the rain, that is!"

 

Yuri laughed at her partner's appearance, Yena laughing along naturally. Her hair was a mess and they're clinging all over Yena's face. Yuri doubted she looked any better.

 

She wasn't sure if it's romantic or not. The water getting on their faces while Yuri just wanted to kiss her girlfriend as a grand gesture. 

 

"We're probably gonna get a cold!"

 

"And we can just deal with that later!" Yena grinned. "I promise!"

 

Yuri scoffed under her breath at the familiar words. This time, though, the annoyance from earlier didn't come. She knows Yena will keep her promise.

 

Because It's Yena. 

 

"Let's go home." Yuri whispered to herself, her heart filling only with fuzziness and warmth. 

 


 

"I don't date people on a wimp." Yuri gulped, her heart racing more than it should be. "But I do really like you." She sighed, head falling back before turning to the older girl. She saw the glimmer of hope in the latter's eyes glowing brighter by and Yuri had to laugh. 

 

What is this girl doing to her?

 

"So is that a yes?" Another hesitant chuckle. "Because I'm really scared right now despite how I look."

 

Yuri glanced at the couple at the far right of the park, sitting right in the middle of their mat with food all around them. She pictured how it would be if that was them. Her and Yena. 

 

"I don't like making decisions." She finally said. "I worry over things a lot and overthinks everything. Even that date last week, Minjoo asked me like a month prior before I finally said okay and they had to schedule something." She fumbled her fingers, intertwining them and separating them. "Sometimes when I can't make a decision, I just...dont. I run away from problems and just expect them to go away because I can't handle too much stress."

 

"But you're still here?"

 

Yuri bit at her bottom lips. Yena's right. She's still stuck on this bench, talking miles a minute. 

 

"Because I really like you."

 

She turned to face Yena, only to feel her heart skipped a beat at the smile the latter was giving her. Encouraging. Fond. Care. 

 

"You know, I'm impulsive and sometimes a little dumb. I do things without thinking and later on I'll have to deal with the repercussions." Yuri felt her right hand being tugged away. She looked down to see Yena locking their hands together, the skin rough and clammy. "Chaewon asked me like 2 days before the date and I didn't even bother thinking it over before saying yes just to get her away while I was playing."

 

"What're you saying?"

 

"I'm saying that maybe sometimes I get in trouble for not thinking things over, but sometimes," she felt a squeeze, her hands being pulled to Yena's lap. "I got to meet you because of it."

 

And she got to meet Yena.

 

Yuri smiled, exhaling a tired snort. "You're a sweet talker, aren't you?"

 

"Might have heard that once or twice."

 

"I'm overbearing sometimes."

 

"Chaewon said she can't stand me all the time."

 

"Im very clingy."

 

"Perfect! I love cuddles!"

 

"You'll get to see other sides of me you probably won't like if we start dating."

 

"You're telling me I have more to explore about you?"

 

"What if I run away?"

 

Yena took ahold of her other hand, squeezing them both together. "Then I'll come and run after you." She grinned. "Because I really like you too."

 

Hell, why was she trying to find excuses to not do this when she really wanted to. 

 

Maybe a little impulsiveness won't be that bad. Just a little. 

 

"Okay. Yes. Let's go out."

 


 

"Jo Yuri my love! You know how much I love you right?"

 

"I love you too, so what do you want now?"

 

"What ever do you mean?"

 

"You have that look where you're going to say something and don't know if I'll like it."

 

"Hahah... nothing like that."

 

"Sure."

 

"Right, umm, I need to ask you something."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"We have been dating for so long now right?"

 

"Almost 4 years, yes."

 

"Our anniversary is coming up."

 

"I'm aware."

 

"So I was wondering what you would prefer, a fancy candle lit din- do you want to get an apartment together?"