First Beat

When a Dead Heart Beats
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Screams

 

Anguished screams 

 

The scent of blood, mixed with burning wood, filled the air.

 

Flames devoured the castle, along with its surrounding houses.

 

Bodies upon bodies mounted on each other, mostly soldiers and castle guards.

 

They were foolish to think their spears and swords can stop Novises.

 

No human can stand up against a Novis; a being with supernatural abilities and enhanced skill.

 

They tried to use their sheer number against them because their assailants were only a group of five.

 

And it cost them their lives.

 

The smart ones dropped their weapons and fled.

 

Correction: tried to flee.

 

They were wrong to think their assailants didn’t care enough to chase after them.

 

What they didn’t know about this group of men…

 

Is that they leave no one alive.

 

One was skilled with the bow and arrow, and he took down each and every one of those who tried to escape.

 

Daesung: the Archer

 

One was skilled with the gun, and he shot down those who took shelter on higher ground.

 

Seunghyun: the Blacksmith

 

One was skilled with speed, and he cut down the castle guards before they even knew that they were dead.

 

Seungri: the Racer

 

One was skilled in the medicinal arts, and one breath of his poison gas is enough to liquify the insides, which killed most of the soldiers.

 

Youngbae: the Wisper

 

The last one carries two swords, which he didn’t even have to un-sheath thanks to his group’s efforts.

 

The fearsome leader.

 

Jiyong: the Power

 

It wasn’t long after the attack that almost every resident of the castle was dead, until only one remained.

 

And he soon...shall also meet the same fate.

 

“Tell me where the gold is”, Seunghyun pressed his gun on the man’s temple and hovered his finger next to the trigger.

 

“Or your brain will decorate this room”, he taunted.

 

Cold sweat broke on the man’s forehead and his lips started to quiver.

 

He knew he was going to die. 

 

As soon as he reveals the location of the treasure, his assailant will shoot.

 

His eyes wandered around the room. 

 

Once pristine...

 

Once lavishly decorated with paintings and tapestries...

 

Once filled with busy bodies running errands to keep the castle organized…

 

Now in shambles...

 

Blood painted the artwork...

 

Bodies filled the space... dead bodies

 

He looked his assailant in the eyes; his eyes filled with a mix of rage and fear.

 

He’s going to die anyway, so he’ll take the location of the treasure to his grave.

 

They must never find it. 

 

“Y-you p-people will go t-to hell!”, he stammered.

 

Seunghyun was about to pull the trigger, but before anyone even knew what happened, blood spurted everywhere and the man’s head rolled on the floor.

 

“I know”, said the coldest voice that anyone’s ever heard.

 

All heads turned to Jiyong as he sheathed Vasta, one of his double-edged swords with a blade as black as the night.

 

“He was mine”, Seunghyun said dejectedly.

 

He holstered his gun, which immediately vanished into the other dimension where his other weapons are.

 

“You were taking too long. Come, I know where the gold is”, Jiyong spun on his heel and started walking away.

 

“Of course you do. Why did we even have to waste time slaughtering all these people? We could have just went straight for the gold”, Daesung sighed and slung his arrow bag across his shoulder. 

 

Jiyong stopped walking. He turned his head and gave the coldest, most evil smirk.

 

“Human scum don’t deserve to live. It’s kill or be killed”, he said and resumed walking.

 

“He’s a demon. Why did you even have to ask that?”, Seungri rolled his eyes and followed after the leader.

 

“Because my precious arrows are getting wasted! Do you know how much it hurts to produce these from my own body— hey is anyone even listening?!”, Daesung whined and stomped after the rest of the people who went ahead of him.

 

“Such a ing whiner”, Seungri clucked his tongue and slung his long sword over his shoulder.

 

He looked back and noticed that one of his sworn brothers is still standing next to the headless corpse.

 

“You coming Youngbae?”, he called after him.

 

“All the arteries have been dissected so precisely, as if done delicately with care”, Youngbae whispered below his breath and eyed the severed neck.

 

“That’s Vasta for ya. The black sword that can even cut souls”, Seungri said, almost as if he was also in awe.

 

“Such a shame only Jiyong can wield it”, Youngbae whispered to himself, took one last look at the severed neck, and finally followed after his sworn brothers.

 

Jiyong led the group behind the castle into what seems like an empty open field.

 

Contrary to the blood bath on the other side, this part of the castle remained untouched. 

 

Stones were strategically placed in different parts of the field, as if to create a path to walk through.

 

Jiyong took a step to follow the stones when all of a sudden, a strong static force ran through his entire body and pushed him back.

 

Dumbfounded for only a moment, then a cold smirked found its way to his lips.

 

“So these humans were smart enough to erect a barrier”, he said in an almost amused tone.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter