Blue and Ginger (AhnKwon)

Think About You - Short Stories Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Blue and Ginger

 

“I’m gonna miss you so much, Hye,” Eunbi said as she was hugging her friend tightly.

Her taller friend hugged her back, squeezing her in her arms. They were standing outside of the house by the street, the one which the two ladies used to live together as housemates. Now that one of them got married and moving away, the other one was left alone.

“Hey, it’s not like I’m moving away from the country. We still meet every day!” said Hyewon with a chuckle.

Eunbi let her friend go and sighed, “But I’m gonna be alone in the house.”

“Have you put up the ad for the room rental yet?” asked Hyewon.

“I haven’t, I can’t just let anyone move in, you know?”

Eunbi sighed and then she smiled, “I’m sorry if I sound negative, but hey, I’m truly happy for you and Chaeyeon. I still can’t believe you two are married now! I still remember the day we hire Chaeyeon to work with us.”

Hyewon chuckled, “I fell for her right away, it’s insane. She’s so weird, but my kind of weird.”

“You two surely suits each other.”

“We’re both weirdos.”

“Hey Eun, maybe it’s time you find someone to live with you in the house too,” Hyewon continued.

“Yeah, I will put up the room rental ad soon.”

“I’m not talking about roommate who pays rent to you!”

“Then, what are you talking about?”

Hyewon smirked, “You know, the kind of roommate you share a bed with, to cuddle to sleep with…”

Eunbi rolled her eyes, “Oh, come on. You know how unlucky I am with love. I keep attracting douchebags.”

“It doesn’t mean that you should stop trying! You’re so young and pretty, I’m sure there’s someone out there for you. Not everyone is bad!”

Eunbi shrugged, “I wonder if there’s someone out there for me. I just want someone who is loyal to me, always look at me, always want my attention and love me unconditionally. Someone who won’t complains much and listens to me well!”

Hyewon laughed.

“What?”

“Maybe you should get a dog instead, or a cat.”

 

**

 

A week had passed since Eunbi started living alone.

Eunbi was busy managing her business on her laptop. She and Hyewon owns a jewelry business together and they are mainly online based. Her online shop is a hit, and they receive almost 10 thousand worth of orders every month. She’s in charge of design while Hyewon mainly handles the accounts. Chaeyeon was the last to join their little company and she was in charge with sales.

It was raining that night, and the weather was getting colder. Eunbi turned off her laptop and went to the kitchen to make herself a cup of hot chocolate. She brought her cup to the window and took little sips as she was looking outside.

There was a stall across the street, selling rice cake and fish cakes. It is usually filled with people but due to the weather, it was empty and the owner covered his stall with transparent plastic covers. It was peaceful, listening to the sound of rain hitting the roof, and the smell of the rain on the asphalt. Eunbi brought her cup to and took another sip.

Suddenly, she saw a dog running.

The dog came from nowhere and was running towards the rice cake stall. And then, there was a few motorcycles approaching, and they were fast.

“Oh my gosh, slow down…” Eunbi muttered to herself.

She watched both the dog and the motorcycle approaching each other in real time.

Eunbi pushed open the window and peeked her head outside.

She shouts, “HEY, HEY, STOP YOU’RE GONNA HIT THE DOG-

But it was too late.

One of the motorcycle hit the dog.

The motorcycle rider tripped and fell but he got up again and drove away, leaving the dog on the road, unconscious.

 

**

 

It’s been a week since Eunbi rescued the dog in the accident. That night she rushed outside, not caring about getting wet by the rain and put the dog in her car and take it to the nearest animal hospital.

Luckily the injury wasn’t too serious. There were some external injuries by it’s ear and body, and it also broke some bones. The dog, which is a young female shiba inu, broke her right hind legs, and it had to be bandaged. Eunbi took the dog home and gave it shelter until she’s fully healed.

The dog wears a blue collar when she found her, and Eunbi was convinced that the dog has an owner. She took some photos and put up posters around the area, hoping maybe the owner will come and claim the dog.

 

**

 

Time passes by quickly and another week came. Yet Eunbi still didn’t receive any call from the dog’s owner. The dog, now named Blue because of her collar, is getting healthier every day.

Blue’s leg has slowly healed, and now she’s roaming the house with her wobbly legs. No matter how much Eunbi tell her not to move much, she never listens.

After taking off her bandage completely, Blue acted like the house was hers. She wanted to watch TV on the couch with Eunbi, and also eat whatever the human was eating. Eunbi tried to refrain her at first, since human food are not suitable for dogs, but then gave up. Blue ate popcorn, chips and bread, and sometimes ramyun.

If Eunbi fell asleep on the couch, she will get on top of her for snuggles. Eunbi had to close her room’s door or Blue will sleep there as if the bed was hers. If it’s unlocked, she’ll creep into her bed at night, and Eunbi will wake up with wet tongue all over her face, that huge doggy grin and barks, asking for food.

Blue is clingy and annoying, but for some reason, Eunbi didn’t mind.

Maybe Hyewon was right, having a pet is not a bad idea after all.

 

**

 

“You look happy these days, unnie” said Hyewon, as she was sitting in Eunbi’s car.

The older girl was driving her car, as they’re on the way to pick up samples at a factory for the new bracelet design.

“Did you met someone?” asked Hyewon, her eyes widen.

“Spill it to me!”

Eunbi laughed, “I didn’t meet anyone, okay. At least it’s not human.”

“What?”

“You said I should find someone to share bed with and cuddles, right? So I got one.”

“A girlfriend!”

“Nope, a dog.”

Hyewon raised an eyebrow, “Was it the dog that you rescued a month ago? I thought the dog wears a tag!”

“Well, Blue has a collar but no one claimed her and it’s been a month now.”

“No one called?”

Eunbi shook her head, “No. I think maybe Blue got lost, maybe she jumped from a moving car or I don’t know, abandoned?”

“It’s okay by me. I will just raise Blue then. We’re getting along really well together. We even like the same shows.”

Hyewon chuckled, “If that’s makes you happy, unnie. I think I’ll come and visit Blue sometime.”

“I think you and Blue would get along fine. She’s quite similar to you. And don’t forget to bring snacks. She likes spicy rice cakes.”

“A-A dog eats that??”

 

**

 

“Blue, mommy’s home,” Eunbi said as she closed the door behind her.

She took off her shoes and walked inside her house, but it was weird. It was too quiet. Everything was too calm. Blue would usually welcome her at the door, smother her with kisses and pulled her bag. But there was no sound at all.

It was suspicious.

She grabbed a can of aerosol on the cupboard, the first thing she could grab. And then she walked into the house, toward the living room. She tiptoed, taking her time, carefully.

Suddenly her room’s door opened. Eunbi gasped.

And then a teenage girl appeared, and she was wearing Eunbi’s clothes. She was tall, and rather pretty with deep dimples on her face when she smiles. And she can’t stop smiling.

“Mommy, you’re home!” she said, excited.

The girl was walking towards her but Eunbi waved the can around.

“STOP MOVING! STAY THERE!”

The girl obliged.

Eunbi gulped, “W-Who are you?! What are you doing in my house?!”

The girl sighed, “Oh yes, you must be shocked right now. I’m looking like this.”

“How did you get in here?! Where’s my dog?!” Eunbi continued.

The girl looked at her and smiled, “I’ve been in here the entire time.”

“W-What? Stop talking nonsense! I’m calling the cops now!”

“I’M BLUE!” the girl shouted.

Eunbi creased her eyebrows, “Blue is a dog…”

“Yes, that’s me.”

“You’re a kid!”

“But I’m also a dog!”

“Do you think that makes sense? Do I look like an idiot to you?!”

“Mommy please…”

“Don’t call me mommy! I’m not your mommy! Now where is my dog and what did you do to her?!”

The girl sighed and scratched the back of her head, “Okay, you really like Narnia and we just had the whole movie series marathon last Tuesday.”

“How did you-

“You said you wanted to diet but you had ice cream for two nights in a row and then did sit-ups in the morning because you felt guilty!”

Eunbi’s face turned pale, “You’re… a stalker!”

“I am not! I know it because I’m with you the whole time! I’m the dog that you saved!”

Eunbi shook her head, “N-No you’re not… I’m calling the cops.”

The girl gasped, “Mommy, no! Then, maybe you’ll trust me if I your face, right?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter