The Birthday Bunny (2Kim)

Think About You - Short Stories Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Birthday Bunny

 

“Hurry up Aunt Chae, you’re so slow!” said a little girl who was walking up the street.

Kim Chaewon was trying her best to catch up with her niece, who she was supposed to walk with. Who knew a 5-year-old has so much energy? She was wearing casual that day, since the place is just in the neighbourhood and it only take less than 10 minutes’ walk. She zipped up her pink tracksuit jacket.

“Don’t run, Hii, wait for me, it’s dangerous,” said Chaewon, running up to her niece’s side. She grabbed her hand and held it tight.

“I don’t want to be late to Wonyo and Nako birthday party! If we’re late they’ll eat the cake before me!” said Hii, sulking.

“Okay, okay, we’re here, look!” said Chaewon, pointing at the building in front of them. A red and grey shiny surface with a huge yellow M, a happy place for kids and adults alike, McDonalds.

“Yay! Let’s go!” said Hii, dragging along her aunt towards the entrance door.

 

**

 

“W-What’s going on?” Chaewon muttered.

They were inside the McDonald’s playpen, where the place had been booked for the birthday, it was decorated with huge happy birthday words, so she’s at the right place, but it looked more like a warzone. There were around 10 kids there, and they’re all doing different things. A kid was drowning in the ball pool, a kid was biting the table, a kid was biting another kid, a kid was running around in circles and a couple of kids were crying.

“Thank god you’re here!” said a woman who suddenly grabbed Chaewon’s arms.

Chaewon looked at her, shocked. The woman was wearing long grey jacket and she has wine colored hair, she looks like a Gangnam mom, which she probably is.

“Are you Hii’s mother?” she asked.

Chaewon shook her head, “I’m her aunt, and I’m just here to drop her off-

“Can you look after the kids for a while?” asked the woman.

“What?”

“I have to go and get the cake! The person who’s supposed to deliver it got lost and there’s no cake on the table! We can’t have a birthday without cake!” she said in a breath.

“Well, you’re right, but-

“It’s just for a while, and my wife will be here soon, and also Wonyo and her mom is on her way as well. Just watch them for a bit, okay?”

Chaewon sighed, “O-Okay, I guess.”

The woman gave her a few powerful pats on her shoulders to thank her before leaving in her car that was parked outside. Chaewon looked around the room, where the war has turned into the WW2. Now balls are flying around like missiles.

“Okay kids, calm down- AHHHHHHHH!”

Chaewon shrieked and looked down at her hand. Her right hand was being bitten by a kid with blue hair.

“No biting!”

 

**

 

“And that’s what happened to the frog,” said Chaewon with her gentlest tone.

“So the frog is actually a prince?” asked a kid with blue hair earlier. Chaewon now knows her name is Jinnie.

“Yes, Jinnie, the frog is actually a prince!” said Chaewon.

“But what about the dog? Is the dog a prince too?” asked Jinnie.

“What dog? There’s no dog in the story, Jinnie!” said Chaewon’s niece, Hii.

“But I like dogs!”

“Jinnie is so stupid!” said another kid named Nako. She then proceeded to hit Jinnie’s head with a plastic ball.

“Nakoko is stupid stupid!” Jinnie retorted.

Nako stood up, “But Jinnie is stupid stupid stupid!”

Chaewon sighed, “Okay, sit down, Nako and Jinnie! Or I won’t tell anymore stories!”

All the kids sit down again, facing Chaewon.

She was sitting on one of the kid’s chair in the playing room, while all other kids were sitting in front of her. It wasn’t easy trying to calm the kids, but she has experience handling her nieces and nephews. She wasn’t voted as their favourite aunt for nothing. She’s good with kids. She glanced at her watch to check the time, and it’s been 15 minutes since the woman left her with other kids. She wondered if there’s even a birthday party there at McDonalds.

“Tell us more stories, Aunt Chae!” said Hii who was sitting on her lap.

Chaewon smiled, and nodded, “What story do you want to hear, Little Hii?”

“The Bunny and the Dog!” said a voice from the door.

Chaewon turned and saw another 5 year-old year with long wavy hair and clear eyes. That kid looks so beautiful, like a doll.

Jinnie sprang up and opened her arms, “Wonyo is here!”

All the kids got up and they greeted the beautiful kid. It was chaotic again but Chaewon didn’t have time to manage the chaos.

She has a problem of her own.

There was a woman entering the place, long brown hair, tall, with her doe eyes and pointed nose. She’s beautiful, you can easily tell she’s the girl’s mother. She looked shocked seeing Chaewon there, and so does Chaewon. The girl in pink tracksuit stood up and their gazes locked the entire time.

The woman took steps closer inside the playing room as curled up into a smile.

“Kim Chaewon?” she asked.

Chaewon gulped. She forgot how nice her voice sounds like.

“Minju,” she replied with an awkward smile.

It feels foreign to say her name again, even though at one time, that’s the only name she remembers. It was getting awkward with them standing there. It felt dead silent even though there was nothing silent about the kids starting their WW3 at the background.

Chaewon cleared , “So, that’s your daughter?”

Minju looked at Wonyo and nodded, “Yeah, that’s my girl.”

“She’s so pretty.”

“Thank you,” Minju replied, smiling.

“Well, is your child here too? I have no idea Wonyo is friends with your kid,” she said, her eyes widen.

Chaewon looked away, Minju’s smiles is still the same as before. You can’t stare at it too long, it’s dangerous.

“That’s my Hii,” said Chaewon, pointing at her niece.

“But she’s my niece, not my daughter,” she added with a chuckle.

“Oh, so you’re…”

Chaewon shook her head, “No. I’m not married yet.”

Minju pursed her lips together and nodded.

“Well, where’s Wonyo’s father?” asked Chaewon in the most casual way possible.

Minju raised her eyebrows and looked down, “He’s working, abroad.”

“Your husband must be busy, huh?”

“Ex-husband.”

Chaewon looked at her, shocked. Minju looked up and met her eyes.

“O-Oh, sorry to hear, I didn’t know…”

Minju shook her head, “You don’t have to be sorry, really. How could you have known? We lost contact for… 6 years.”

Chaewon gulped, “I-I..

“I’m back! I have the cake!” said the woman in wine colored hair who suddenly barged in with a box in one hand.

Minju turned her attention to the woman, she went to her side and took the cake from her hand.

“Oh, Eunbi unnie, thank you so much for fetching the cake.”

“It’s okay, Minju-ya, it’s for Nako too. Now, have you seen my wife? Is she here yet?” asked the woman named Eunbi. Chaewon quickly learned that she’s Nako’s mom.

“Kkura unnie? Where did she go?”

“She said she’s bringing the costume.”

“Oh yes, the costume.”

“What costume?” asked Chaewon, confused.

“I’m back! I have the costume!” said another woman who barged into the room with a huge bag in one hand.

“Baby, what took you so long?!” asked Eunbi. She went to her and dragged her arm.

“I got lost, and the costume shop is hard to find as well! I hope I didn’t miss anything!” she said, still panting.

“No, not yet. We just got the cake and we’re going to start now. I’ve told the staff to bring over the food after the cake,” said Eunbi, putting the bags on the floor.

“Oh, who is this?” asked the woman named Kkura as she noticed Chaewon there.

Chaewon grinned, “Well, I’m-

“Hii’s mom!” said Eunbi.

“I’m Hii’s aunt and I’m supposed to drop her and pick her up later. I guess I’m going to go now-

“What? No! Stay and join us!” said Kkura, grabbing her arm.

“I’m clearly underdressed, I mean I went out with what I wear at home and-

“It’s okay, you can wear the costume!” said Kkura.

“The costume?”

Kkura continued, “She’s perfect for it, her height, and she has short hair too, I bet the kids would love you!”

Chaewon looked at Minju who smiled at her.

“We would love to have you join us, Chaewon… unnie.”

She knew she can’t fight that. Minju’s smile and Minju’s sweet way saying her name.

Chaewon sighed,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter