Day 1

Twin Trouble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minseo smiled all the way home, excited that she did something good for Minhee. Even if Minhee was a little mean sometimes, she was still her sister. She got home and immediately ran to her room. Minhee sat in her chair on her phone before jumping up at the sound of the opening door. Seeing it was Minseo, she broke out into a smile. 

    “So? How was the test?” Minseo grinned.

    “It was fine. You’ll get at least a 90, don’t worry,” Minseo replied. Minhee smiled wider. 

    “Okay,” she said. Minseo’s smile slightly faltered at the lack of thanks but brushed it off. It was an exhausting day and all she wanted was to rest. 

    “Okay. Can I rest now?” Minhee shrugged before leaving the room. Minseo let out a sigh of contentment as she dropped the bag on her chair before collapsing on the bed, smiling into her sheets. Suddenly, she sat upright, remembering Baekhyun. Should she tell her now? Minseo smiled before shaking her head and lying down once more. It’ll probably be a welcome surprise. She picked up her phone before dialing a familiar number, a deep voice picking up moments after. “Soo, you know I promised to explain everything? Well I’ll explain now.” She heard a hum of agreement. “So yesterday, when I hung up, Minhee and mom were arguing because Minhee wanted to go to a party but mom said no because of her calc grade.”

    “Okay…?” Kyungsoo trailed off in confusion, failing to see the relevance.

    “So mom told me to help Minhee to bring up her grade and basically, long story short, Minhee asked me to go to school and take her calc test for her,” she continued. 

    “You switched places with her to help her cheat?” 

    “I mean she is my sister…” Minseo trailed off. She could hear the disapproval in Kyungsoo’s voice.

    “Okay, continue,” he said. 

    “So I was Minhee for the day and I helped her get a boyfriend,” she said. 

    “You just got her a boyfriend?” Kyungsoo sounded incredulous. Minseo’s smile faltered.

    “When you put it like that, it sounds weird,” she complained. Kyungsoo’s deep chuckles were heard over the phone. 

    “Well what else I am supposed to think?”

    “Fair point. But I mean I found out that she was crushing on some guy and oddly enough he confessed to her today,” she said. “So I said yes of course.” 

    “Are you sure she would be happy about that?” Kyungsoo asked. Minseo laughed.

    “I mean it’s her crush. Why wouldn’t she?” 

    “What if he wasn’t? Did you ask her?” 

    “Well, no. But one of her friends was definitely hinting at it. She even sat me down right next to him at lunch,” she argued. 

    “So you made an assumption,” Kyungsoo said.

    “I prefer the term educated guess,” she answered. Kyungsoo laughed. 

    “Okay, fine. Whatever you say,” he gave in. As he opened his mouth to continue talking, he heard a high pitched shriek. 

    “MINSEO!” Kyungsoo winced at the harsh sound. 

    “Hold on, Kyungsoo. Let me see what Minhee wants.” Kyungsoo simply let out a hum of agreement. Minseo got up, heading towards Minhee’s room, curious as to what she wanted. Minhee scowled at her as soon as she entered the room, clutching her phone tightly in her hand. Minseo quirked an eyebrow in question before Minhee glared and the phone into her face. Minseo took a step back at the sudden movement before staring at the screen blankly, not understanding. “What am I supposed to be looking at exactly?” Minhee let out a growl of frustration. 

    “Why is Byun Baekhyun texting me asking about a date?!” Minseo brightened up at that. 

    “Oh great! He did it!” Minhee let out a furious growl. 

    “No! Not great! What did you do?!” Minseo looked at Minhee confused.

    “I thought you liked him?” Minhee let out a laugh of disbelief.

    “Like him?! I hate him!” 

    “What?” 

    “What did you do?” Minseo looked at Minhee anxiously, darting her eyes towards the door. 

    “So I might have thought that you liked Baekhyun so when he confessed to you, I just said yes,” she stammered, trailing off towards the end. 

    “You did WHAT?!” Minseo winced. This was definitely not the response she was expecting. She looked into Minhee’s enraged eyes before looking down. She was screwed. “I’m pretty certain that I told you not to mess anything up!” Minseo frowned. 

    “It was a fair conclusion to make. Your friend sat me next to him and said that it was my chance to eat with him,” Minseo tried to argue. 

    “You ate lunch at his table?” Minseo looked at her warily.

    “Yeah…?” 

    “You idiot!” Minhee groaned. 

    “Excuse me?” 

    “You’re saying you sat with the hottest guys at school?” 

    “Hottest? But I thought you didn’t like Baekhyun,” Minseo said. Minhee let out a groan of frustration.

    “I’m not talking about him! I’m talking about Jongin! The others are alright, I suppose,” Minhee sniffed. Minseo frowned. 

    “Jongin?” Minhee scowled. 

    “It doesn’t matter at this point. How did you sit with them?” 

    “Baekhyun waved us over,” Minseo said innocently.

    “And nobody said anything?” Minseo furrowed her eyebrows.

    “Who would say anything?” 

    “Jongin! He always doesn’t let me sit with them!” Minhee burst out.

    “I don’t know who Jongin is but no one really said anything about us sitting with them,” Minseo answered.

    “‘Us?’” Minhee echoed.

    “Me and your friend, Wendy.” 

    “Wendy?!” Minseo nodded her head slowly, feeling lost. “Ugh, fine, whatever. What I want to know is how you’re going to get me out of this!” 

    “Get you out of what?” 

    “This whole Baekhyun fiasco! He’s definitely not my type!” 

    “But he really seems to like you.” Minhee shook Minseo’s shoulders in frustration.

    “He’s so annoying, cracking jokes and bothering me all the time. And that’s besides the point! I don’t care if he likes me or not! If I date him, that means I can’t date Jongin!” Minhee whined.

    “But he was so excited when you said yes.” Minhee growled.

    “You mean when you said yes! This is why you shouldn’t have said yes!”

    “I’m sorry, okay? I thought you liked him.” 

    “Fine, whatever. I’ll just break up with him,” Minhee said, at wits’ end. Minseo’s eyes snapped to Minhee who was already reaching for her phone. 

    “No!” Minhee raised an eyebrow in question.

    “No?”

   “Think about how he’ll feel. It seems as if he likes you a lot,” she tried to reason. 

   “Why do you care so much about his feelings?” Minseo fell silent. 

   “Cause I brought his hopes up. I don’t also want to be responsible for crushing them immediately after.” Minhee put down her phone, thinking about it for a moment.

   “Fine. I won’t break up with him. Under one condition, though.” Minseo nodded eagerly.

   “Name it,” she said.

   “You have to continue to go to school for me for the rest of your break. And then I get to end the relationship,” Minhee offered.

   “What? For two weeks?” Minseo widened her eyes. Minhee nodded. “But it’s not ethical, Minhee.” 

   “Okay, I guess I’ll just break up with him right now,” Minhee said. 

   “Okay, okay! I’ll do it. But I’m not doing your homework.” Minhee thought about it for a few moments.

   “Deal.” Minseo let out a breath of relief. “Don’t get caught,” Minhee warned. Minseo gulped. There would be hell to face if she got caught.

☆☆☆ 

Minseo closed the door of her room before letting out a sigh. She mussed up her hair in frustration before plopping down on her bed. Why did she have to get stuck in this situation? At that moment, she got a call from Kyungsoo. “I’m guessing that your sister was not happy?” Minseo sighed at the amusement tinged in his voice.

    “You know when they say when you assume,” she said defeatedly.

    “So what is she going to do?”

    “More like what am I going to do,” she muttered.

    “What did you do now?”

    “I convinced her to not break up with him,” she said with forced positivity.

    “But--?”

    “On the condition that I go to school for her during the break,” she said.

    “Don’t tell me you actually agreed to that absurd deal,” Kyungsoo said. Minseo fell silent as Kyungsoo groaned. 

    “Soo, I made the mistake of giving him hope in the first place. How cruel would it be if I let Minhee break up with him in less than a day?” She tried to reason. 

    “Why are you so invested in this? I know you made a mistake, but you could’ve let Minhee handle it.” Minseo stopped for a moment to think. Why was she so invested in this? 

   “I guess I can empathize,” she muttered softly, looking down at her feet. Kyungsoo’s voice softened.

   “Are you still hurt about -”

   “No,” she cut Kyungsoo off, not wanting to bring it up. Kyungsoo let out a heavy sigh.

   “Fine. I hope that you’re prepared to deal with the consequences, though.” 

☆☆☆

 At the beeping of the alarm, Minseo groggily threw off her covers before starting to her bathroom to get ready. She sighed at having to go to school despite it being her break, but quickly dressed into a pair of leggings and simple white shirt before heading to the kitchen. She quickly took an apple before heading out the door, walking towards the bus stop, enjoying the scenery and the tranquility of the early hours. As she was walking, she bumped into another person. She looked up to apologize, but her eyes lit up in recognition. 

   “Chanyeol,” she said enthusiastically. However, unlike his demeanor from yesterday, he seemed a lot more reserved. 

   “Minhee,” he returned coolly. Minseo frowned. Why was he suddenly being so cold? They continued to the bus stop in awkward silence before Chanyeol spoke up. “What are you planning?” Minseo froze. Did Chanyeol realize something? 

   “What do you mean?”

   “We all know that you like Jongin. Yet you said yes to Baekhyun yesterday. What are you trying to do?” Mins

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter