How It All Began

Twin Trouble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ah, finally, it’s break!” Minseo exclaimed happily into her phone. She heard a scoff from the other end.  

“You really that happy?” Kyungsoo, her best friend, asked. She grinned.  

“Of course! It means I can spend time finally catching up on dramas and sleep! I can finally watch 100 Days My Prince!”  

“Of course, that’s what you’re excited about,” he replied, amused. “Anyway, are you going anywhere?”  

“I wish. Minhee still has school; her break doesn’t start until ours is finished,” she said. She heard a noise of sympathy.  

“Minhee must be jealous.”  

“I don’t know. I doubt she even knows I have off. I don’t think we’ve talked in a while.” Just then, she heard yells coming from downstairs. “Hold on, Kyungsoo, I’ll call you back, alright?” Without even waiting for his response, Minseo hung up and cautiously stepped out of her room to investigate the cause of the yelling.  

“Minhee, I said no. Your grades are terrible right now, and I haven’t seen you studying all weekend — even when you have a test tomorrow.”  

“But mom!! I promised my friends I would be at the party!” Minhee argued.  

“You should have thought about that and studied.” 

“I will! But please just let me go today!” 

“No, Minhee, you can’t go, and that’s final. And consider that the response for every other party until you bring home at least a B on your calculus test.”  

“Fine!!” Minhee stomped over to her room, shooting a glare at Minseo who hurriedly rushed to move out of her way. Minhee slammed her door shut with a bang as Minseo winced at the loud noise. She looked down the stairs at her mom who looked back at her tiredly, before heaving a sigh.  

“Try and help her out, Minseo, will you?” Minseo looked at her mom reluctantly.  

“You know she hates getting help from me, mom.” Her mom let out another sigh at those words, throwing up her hands.  

“Just give it a try, please,” she muttered as she went into the kitchen to start dinner. Minseo glanced at Minhee’s room warily before taking a deep breath and knocking.  

“What do you want?!” Minseo winced at the caustic tone.  

“I just wanted to ask if you needed help,” she said softly, already expecting rejection. She heard no response so she moved to turn away, but suddenly the door opened and Minhee yanked her into her room. She rubbed her arm tenderly after being released as she looked at Minhee in confusion.  

“You asked if I needed help, right?” Minseo slowly nodded. Minhee grinned. 

“How?” 

"How what?” 

“How are you going to help me?” 

“In any way I can, I guess.” 

“So, you would go to school instead of me and take my calculus test?” Minseo backed away slowly.  

“I never said that.” 

“You said ‘in any way I can,’” Minhee refuted. 

“That doesn’t mean I’ll help you cheat!” Minseo argued. 

“Of course you’re going back on your word,” Minhee muttered.  

“That’s not fair. You can’t pin this on me. I also have school!” 

“Liar. I know you don’t. You’re on break right now,” she said. Shoot. How did Minhee know? 

“We’re going to get in so much trouble if someone finds out,” Minseo tried. At those words Minhee’s expression became dark. 

“That’s why you have to make sure no one finds out.” Minseo eyed Minhee warily.  

“What if someone does?” Minhee sighed.  

“We’re identical. Who’s going to find out?”  

“Yeah, but our personalities are different, Minhee,” Minseo said. Minhee huffed. 

“We’ve switched before without anyone else noticing; how is this any different?” Minseo fell silent. “You’re my sister. Aren’t you going to help me?” Minseo bit her lip. 

“Fine. Only this once though.” Minhee grinned before jumping up to hug her.  

“Thank you, thank you!”  

“What’s your test on?”  

“Just integrals.”  

“Okay.” Minseo moved to go to her room when Minhee stopped her.  

“You have to sleep here today if you don’t want anyone to find out.” Minseo frowned before sighing in resignation. 

“Let me just get my phone.” Minhee nodded, still smiling gleefully. Minseo hurried out of the room to hers, scooping up her phone and charger along with her pencil case before rushing back to Minhee’s room. As soon as she opened the door, Minhee was waiting with an outfit laid out on the bed. Minseo glanced at it before furiously shaking her head. 

“No way.” Minhee scowled. 

“I don’t want you wearing my clothes either, but if we’re going to do this, you can’t just rely on your face.” Minseo looked down at the clothes once more. 

“But it’s so short.”  

“This is one of my longer skirts, though?” Minseo sighed. 

“Fine.” Minhee grinned.  

“And then for your make-up -” 

“No.” 

“Huh?” 

“No make-up. I can do everything but that.” Minhee looked at her for a long moment before shrugging. 

“Okay, whatever.” Minhee explained a few more trivial things, handed Minseo her backpack and then gave Minseo her schedule. “You should be able to find the rooms well enough, but if you need help, then text me okay?” Minseo nodded affirmatively. “Don’t mess anything up, Minseo. Or else we’re both screwed.” 

☆☆☆ 

At the beeping of her alarm, Minseo reluctantly clambered out of Minhee’s bed. She glanced at the notifications on her phone before going to the bathroom, resolving to answer Kyungsoo’s texts later. She hurriedly brushed her teeth and went back to her room, grabbing the outfit on the back of her chair. She picked up the skirt gingerly with a grimace before hurriedly putting it on, frowning at how short it looked. She heaved a sigh before putting the sweater on – at least the top was pretty normal. She shrugged on Minhee’s backpack before taking her phone and rushing downstairs. Her parents, already gone for work, were nowhere in sight, leaving only their cook and maid.  

“Good morning!” Minseo shot them a smile that the two returned reluctantly. Minseo frowned at the lack of enthusiasm. They always returned her smiles and greeting. Minseo pondered over this, wondering if they were upset about something before she mentally facepalmed. She was Minhee now. Minhee never acted friendly with their staff. Minseo snagged a piece of toast, letting out a small thanks before leaving, haphazardly wearing her shoes. She shot a look at her phone while munching on her toast before startling at the time. How had it become 7:45 already? She immediately starting sprinting, cursing Minhee under her breath along the way. She could’ve been at home, sleeping. Why had she agreed to this anyway? Luckily, she made it just as the bus arrived at the bus stop, and panting, she clambered onto the bus, scanning her card, before slumping into a seat. Just as the bus was about to leave, the bus doors opened once more, letting on a few more latecomers, and among them, an elderly woman. Seeing as the bus had no more seats left and no one was offering their seat, Minseo stood up as the lady passed and ushered the lady into her seat, ignoring the lady’s protests who finally gave in and thanked her. Minseo gave her a small smile before grasping a pole, finally getting a chance to look at Kyungsoo’s texts. 

 

Soo: Why’d you suddenly hang up? 

Did you fall asleep? 

 

Me: Sorry, Soo. I’ll explain everything a little later.  

I have to go to school. 

 

Minseo wasn’t surprised at how promptly Kyungsoo replied considering he was always up early. 

 

Soo: School? We’re on our break. 

 

Me: I’ll explain.  

But right now, I have to get to homeroom on time. 

 

Minseo pocketed her phone before getting off the bus at her stop, rushing to the gates and into the school.  

☆☆☆ 

Minseo let out a few pants for breath before sitting down in her seat, finally managing to find her way to homeroom. Thankfully Minhee had remembered to tell her where she sat so she didn’t have to act like an idiot trying to find a seat she should know by now. Fortunately, it didn’t seem as if she was late either. In fact, most seats were still empty so she spent the time she had to recuperate from the constant sprinting she had done in the morning. She shot a sheepish smile to the boy next to her who seemed to be shooting her glances every now and then. 

“Sorry, I was running this morning because I thought I’d be late so I’m a little out of breath. I promise I’ll stop panting soon,” Minseo said. The boy seemed startled that she’d actually spoken to him. 

“Are you talking to me?” Minseo laughed. 

“I would sure hope I wasn’t talking to the wall.” The boy darted his eyes around anxiously. “Anyway, you were staring at me so I assumed I was being too loud with my breaths so I apologize for that.”  

“No, it's okay!” Minseo was surprised at the sudden loud exclamation but smiled at his reassurance. 

“Thanks.” She turned away from him to take out her notebook, oblivious to all the curious stares. Why was Minhee suddenly being nice? Minseo opened her notebook and pencil case before writing down the date and patiently waiting for class to begin and for the teacher to take attendance. She turned to the boy next to her once more before asking, “So what time does the teacher usually get here?” The boy startled once more. 

“He should be here in a few minutes.” Minseo nodded gratefully.  

“Thanks -” She glanced down at his uniform, hoping for a name tag. There wasn’t one. She tried for a smile as she waited for him to finish her sentence. 

“Jihoon,” he muttered.  

“Right, thanks Jihoon,” she s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter