Trauma

Worlds Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

⍟ ⍟ ⍟

 

“You are late.” In his expensive looking suit, my best friend’s father which also happens to be my boss - the one and only managing director here at Samsung Medical Centre, regarded me with what was nothing further than utter annoyance.

“I do not care for your excuses so don’t bother.” The words follow before I could barely open my mouth so instead, I pressed my lips together fight the urge to roll my eyes.  Kyungsoo’s words ringed into my ears. Please behave. Don’t fight. He’s your boss. He’s Soo’s dad. That last one made me frown as sometimes I swear, they do not seem to be related at all.

“I have a patient for you. 27-year-old male came in hypoglycaemic and dehydrated.  Full sets of tests are already ordered. Perform a full assessment get those labs prioritized. Write him a prescription for some vitamins. His full patient history is in here.” A folder makes its way into my arms as he nonchalantly plants it there. I almost run into him as his steps come to an abrupt stop while I attempt to open the file, making me choke down a swearing.  

“Dr. Lee. I assume I do not need to remind you about our hospital policies regarding VIP patients.” His voice carried nothing but bitterness as I was sure he will just remind me of all of them anyways, thus why I decided to speak up.

“Complete discretion and patient confidentiality are a given …Sir.” I had to force out the politeness in my last word as he scoffed at my words.

“I am talking about getting anything they need. You are not here to be a smart you are here for them and WHATEVER they need. Is that understood? If Kyungsoo wouldn’t be essential downstairs I would have him here and would go to my meeting with a peaceful mind that this patient would be treated accordingly. But here we are in a situation none of us are happy with. Just look over the damn test, write a prescription and make sure he is not lacking anything, or ER funding will be cut again and that feisty nurse of yours won’t be too happy with another personnel cut. Is that clear?” This was definitely a threat. I bit back the numerous swearing and revolting arguments as I just nod my head.

“Clear as day, Sir.”

Fixing his suit jacket by closing the two buttons he couldn’t even spare me a second look as he walked away. Of course, I couldn’t miss the smug grin on his face.

Damn. This day officially .

As I head towards the room assigned, passing through the now fancy decorated halls containing the newest tech, I tried to compose myself. A deep breath. I will deal with this as any other patient, leave the annoyance for the boss aside for now. But remember to pick it back after. My eyes opened as I steadied my breath once more.

Medical history first, I opened the file and skive through the pages as nothing unusual spiked my interest; the guy seems to have previous fainting episodes caused by either weak diet or over exhaustion so this seem like a common occurrence to him. Maybe a change of career should be prescribed instead. I couldn’t help but imagine one of those trade workers that are glue to their phones all day freaking out at the mention of a stock value; how wrong was I for once.  My eyes suddenly landed on the name of the patient as I skive through his record.

You must be kidding me…

 

⍟ ⍟ ⍟

“Byun Baekhyun!”

He really didn’t have to shout as my ears were ringing. I felt around me as I could finally open my eyes with a grunt, the lights making me squeeze them shut once more.

“Yah! Do you hear me?” Joonim’s impatient and annoyed voice made me force myself in order to face him. “Yes, I can hear you. What…Where…Damn.” I could barely recognise my own voice; my throat was dry and even the mere words seem to be such a chore to get out. The lights only making my headache worse as finally the memories of the recent events came back to me. I collapsed. Again. Sensational. Not.

“Was about damn time. I thought you will be taking an even longer nap. You have no time to be wasting laying around. This whole commotion as well. I am not sure how Hyukjae will fix up another one of your mistakes.” It was hard to follow my manager as he paced through the room exasperatedly. My mind wondered what happened at the concert hall. Trying to remember more than the fall only intensified the throbbing in my head so I just decided to close my eyes once more. The bed felt so nice and despite being nothing else than his usual sarcasm I could seriously have a long nap right now.

“Mr. Byun.”

 No sleep at all it is. My eyes opened slowly upon hearing the foreign voice, immediately stopping on the woman before me. I realised I was blinking rather comically as I couldn’t quite make out if she was really standing before me. Even in my hazed-up world my mind could come up with a joke about being in a drama right now because which real life hospital as doctors looking…like that. Tsk. This is no drama and those are only thoughts caused by my dehydration. Focus Baek.

“Yes? That is me.” Seriously? That was all I could come up with…again, I blame the dizziness. She seems to look at me with a hint of annoyance which seem to be a hilarious trend today though, compared to Joonim, it didn’t seem to be all directed at me. When our eyes met, I could see her calculating something, like she was debating over how to proceed. In the end her lips parted as her eyes drifted to the IV machine then the chart before her.

“I am Dr. Lee Hana. I will be looking after you during your stay here. From what I see here you were admitted after supporting a fall caused by a fainting episode. The reasons seem to be your low blood sugar and dehydration. You were administrated fluids and I am waiting on a full set of laboratory tests just to make sure that there isn’t anything else causing it.” Why would her voice seem robotic to me? It sounds like Suho hyung when he is delivering one of his rehearsed speeches. It made the corners of my mouth raise involuntary at the thought and from her reaction she did caught onto it.

“Thank you-” There goes my words cut again.

“This is all wonderful doc, but I am sure those will not be necessary right? That is just routine, and we can skip those?” Is it bad that this hyung was getting on my nerves? I should know better than to be disrespectful towards my elders but what if the elders are being disrespectful towards people too? Before I could say something, her eyes darted to him, as if this was the first time, she even acknowledges his presence in the room.

“The test results shouldn’t take long I will personally head over to the laboratory to collect them. I recommend that Mr Byun will rest in the meantime.” I could only blink in astonishment as her gaze fell back on me. “Please do not hesitate to press your call button if you require any assistance.” And with that, the folder in her hands closed with a thud; a bit too dramatic if you were to ask me, before she would turn around and leave for the door.

“This is a joke! The others should be back at the hotel by now and we have only a few hours to go over the details of the show.” Of course. My first show for my solo project was supposed to be tomorrow…did he said in a few hours? Scanning the room, I could finally catch the glimpse of the clock next to the huge TV screen. 00:45. Damn it. Maybe I could really use those minutes until the results comes as it would result in another sleepless night otherwise. Joon just went on.

“I will fix this. Did you saw the way she looked at you? She is definitely a fan.” That sentence made me chuckle and earn a frown from my manager. I have seen the adoring and incredibly cute looks our fans give us, even the playful excited ones. My doctor? She just looked like…I ruined her whole day. Amusement aside as I couldn’t keep up with Joonim’s actions, my eyes followed the seconds running out on the hanged clock, wondering what my members are up to by now…

 

 

⍟ ⍟ ⍟

Reporters are an essential part of a celebrity’s life. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter