downpour

bunny's leap
Please log in to read the full chapter

200509

prompt: Could you please write Seungwan taking care of sick Hybrid bunny Joohyun? Joohyun was startled by something so she ran outside blindly into the rain and it took some time for Seungwan to find her. By that time Joohyun was very feverish and weak. Hybrid bunny joohyun is so soft and adorable:)

seungwan had set joohyun up in the living room, curled up in a bundle of blankets with a documentary playing on the tv. although she had sat with joohyun for a bit of the film, hand absentmindedly rubbing her temples as joohyun snuffled and sighed against her shoulder, eventually she’s called away to assist mr. son in the garage. 

after giving her a soft kiss on the forehead, seungwan gets up to go, leaving joohyun alone in the warmth of the living room. it’s late in the evening with rain pouring down outside, contributing to a cozier atmosphere as joohyun snuggles deeper into the blankets wrapped around her. on the tv, blackspotted sweetlips swim across the screen as the narrator describes their living habitats.

all is well, until it isn’t.

seungwan and her dad are searching for a new lightbulb in the garage when there’s a muffled boom that comes from inside the house. startled, seungwan stumbles and nearly loses balance on the ladder step, though her dad quickly props her back up in time. “what was that?” she asks, alarmed, but he can only murmur in equal confusion as he helps her to the ground.

a few moments later, the fire alarm begins to blare loudly. the both of them exchange worried glances before rushing toward the living room.

smoke from the kitchen and the ear-splitting noise of the alarm greet her as seungwan arrives, but the sight that causes her the most horror is the empty couch and the wide open front door, the thunder of rain crashing down onto the front porch. “joohyun,” she whispers in terror, before her dad is pushing her forward. 

“she couldn’t have gone far, take an umbrella and go find her,” he yells over the alarm. “i’ll take care of the kitchen.” a series of coughs overtake him then, but he pulls his shirt up to his nose before hurrying toward the source of the smoke.

seungwan watches him go, heart pounding against her ribcage, before grabbing her rain jacket off the coat rack and one of the umbrellas by the door. her hands are shaking as she ties the laces on her sneakers, but she only grits her teeth as she stands, moving outside. 

rainfall pounds down onto her umbrella upon stepping out from beneath the porch. seungwan peers up and down the street through the curtain of rain, anxiously wondering in which direction joohyun could have run off in. eventually, she begins trekking leftward, moving as quickly as she can while taking care not to slip. it’s in the direction of the center of town, which joohyun has been to on a few occasions; seungwan is hoping that even in her panicked state of mind, joohyun had chosen the path most familiar to her.

as she slogs through the downpour, carefully sidestepping puddles as she goes, seungwan cups and calls for the hybrid, gaze swiveling left and right in search of her. she tries to push it down, but the fear climbs in her stomach and slowly squeezes her chest with each increasing step, seeping in like the cold of the rain. 

she could have already passed joohyun. she could have gone in the opposite direction. she could still be on the run, growing farther away from seungwan with every passing second.

gradually, the suburban houses along the street begin to shift into convenience stores and shops leading toward the heart of town. biting her lip, seungwan continues forward, glancing into each dark alley she comes across before continuing on. her hope is beginning to dwindle, and she’s about to consider turning back, when out of the corner of her eye she catches a streak of white in the far back corner. 

she comes to a halt, heart in ; moving slowly, seungwan steps beneath the alleyway overhang. at the sight before her, a shaky, anxiety-wrought exhale drags its way out of her lungs. 

joohyun. crouched beneath cover, hands wrapped around her knees, bunny ears slumped lifelessly over her head. thoroughly soaked and trembling uncontrollably.

seungwan places her umbrella down and slowly kneels before her, a tear trailing down her cheek as she attempts to still the tremors in her hands. “hyun,” she whispers softly. 

joohyun seems to freeze up for a second, before the shivering returns in full force. she shrinks in upon herself, the ears atop her head cowering in anxiety. seungwan quickly begins to strip off her rain jacket, murmuring, “hyun, it’s wannie. i’m going to touch you now, okay?”

she receives no reply, but a feeble whimper spills from joohyun as seungwan drapes the jacket around her shoulders, gently moving her out of her crouched position. her eyes are squeezed shut, and her lips are turning blue; she’s a concerningly paler shade. her arms are freezing as seungwan carefully guides them into the jacket sleeves before zipping it up, pulling the hood over joohyun’s rain-matted hair and ears a moment later. then she wraps joohyun up in a close hug, the hybrid immediately slumping into her hold. 

“you’re okay, baby, i’ve got you,” seungwan soothes, feeling joohyun hiccup weakly against her shoulder. without her jacket, seungwan is rapidly growing colder as well, but she ignores it in favor of letting joohyun burrow as close to her chest as possible, cooing softly and rubbing her back. her other hand fishes her phone out of her pocket, quickly dialing in a number.

her dad picks up after the second ring, sounding slightly out of breath as he greets her. “i found her,” seungwan says, hearing him sigh in relief. “we’re by the hardware store in town, do you think you can pick us up?” 

he murmurs an affirmation. “text me your coordinates. i’ll get going now.” 

they say goodbye before seungwan hangs up and proceeds to do as told, receiving a thumbs up from him a minute later. the whole while, joohyun continues to shiver in her arms, curled into her and sniffling wetly. seungwan lightly scratches the back of her head through the hood, then carefully sits down on the ground, guiding joohyun to settle in her lap. 

while waiting, she inspects joohyun’s feet, in a breath at how grimey and scratched up they are; she can’t imagine the kind of pain joohyun must be in from running through the rain barefoot. her hands are gentle as they cradle delicate ankles, soothingly kneading the cold skin there as joohyun flinches for a moment before relaxing, mewling into her collarbone and clutching tightly onto her shirt. 

the next few minutes pass by quietly, the both of them huddled together for warmth while listening to the steady drumming of the rain around them. upon hearing joohyun sneeze, seungwan pulls her in closer, tucking her head into the crook of seungwan’s neck. she glances worriedly at the time on her phone, silently begging her dad to hurry.

he does arrive a bit later, a familiar car slowing to a stop at the curb by the alley. as her dad clamors out and rushes over, seungwan gently tries to coax joohyun away from her chest, only to wince when joohyun digs her nails into her and refuses to budge. “just for a second, hyun, i can’t stand up while carrying you,” seungwan says, pained. she knows joohyun isn’t comfortable with anyone picking her up except seungwan.

there’s a long, heavy pause where joohyun doesn’t move, but then her grip on seungwan slowly slackens. carefully, murmuring a quiet apology, mr. son leans down and takes joohyun from her hold, the hybrid immediately letting out an anxious whimper. seungwan scrambles to her feet though, and a moment later joohyun is passed back into her arms, trembling and sniffling into her shoulder. soothingly, seungwan presses a kiss to the side of her head, carrying them to the car.

the interior is comfortably heated on the ride home, yet joohyun continues to sneeze and cough against seungwan’s side. seungwan can only hug her close and rub her shoulder soothingly, her other hand enveloping both of joohyun’s icy ones, trying to transfer warmth into them. in the rear view mirror, she meets her dad’s eyes as he briefly glances back at them. 

“the bathtub is filled with hot water, a

Please log in to read the full chapter