outline

bunny's leap
Please log in to read the full chapter

200223

wenrene / hybrid au (bunny!joohyun)

*written in headcanon format

physical description

joohyun’s breed: netherland dwarf rabbit

fur: white

eyes: brown

the netherland dwarf rabbit is the smallest breed of domesticated rabbit

what makes them special:  their small size, cute, upright ears, and funny jumps and personality; an overall very charming breed

aside from her bunny ears and tail, the rest of joohyun’s body appears physically human.

joohyun’s size is actually a little smaller than average for bunny hybrids of her breed.

her ears are bigger than usual though, and her left bunny ear also sticks out a little more than her right in the same way her human left ear does.

background

joohyun and seungwan meet when joohyun is 15, seungwan 18.

joohyun has the same lifespan as a human, but ual maturity is a bit different. while joohyun’s human body develops at the same time as the average female human, her rabbit traits cause her to develop ual maturity differently. so she sort of experiences puberty twice.

this means that when joohyun meets seungwan, she’s still technically a baby.

as they grow up together, joohyun starts experiencing her hybrid puberty around age 18. she reaches ual maturity around age 22, when seungwan is 25.

joohyun’s eyesight

in the same way bunnies are, joohyun as a bunny hybrid is farsighted, meaning she can see farther than humans, but things up close are blurry to her.

so at the same time as she’s more scared of things that are too close up (because they might never be what they should be), she might also be a little more startled by an airplane flying overhead than a human typically would be because she can see it clearer.

she has a blind spot near the front of her face, directly in front of her—but it’s not exactly a blind spot. she can actually see, it’s just incredibly blurry.

this isn’t overly concerning though, it’s blurry vision in the same way it might be bad eyesight for a nearsighted human, so if joohyun wears glasses it totally cures the problem. she wears them when reading or just around on a daily basis.

when joohyun her head and looks sideways, it’s like an instinctive way for her to look straight at someone with clearest vision. 

joohyun’s eyes form a grainy/blurry vision of things close up to her; she relies on this image as well as the sound of seungwan’s voice, body movements and scent as her cues to recognize her.

but if seungwan is like, carrying a really big box or something, it sometimes might distort the image joohyun sees and she won’t be able to recognize seungwan for a moment, which can scare her.

joohyun can see in the dark better than humans, but the quality is pretty low resolution. grainy.

she has limited color vision, green and blue limited; joohyun is red-blind (called protanopia), so she can’t distinguish differences in red, orange, and yellow, and blue and purple look awfully similar to her.

personality

joohyun is skittish and jumpy and likes to hide in the different nooks and crannies of seungwan’s house.

she’s very inquisitive and explorative despite her initially shy, nervous nature.

she’s easily startled and sensitive. yet she’s also very intelligent, social, sometimes bratty and willful, and when in a mood can be a bit grumpy and destructive.

dwarf rabbits are stereotyped to be hyper and mean, and that’s how some people might initially perceive joohyun to be like. but joohyun is actually super affectionate, like how some dwarf rabbits actually turn out to be.

traits, habits

joohyun is a clingier bunny hybrid than others.

her health is a little fragile because joohyun gets allergies and falls sick pretty easily.

joohyun really loves chewing on things, so seungwan gets her stim toys or chewable sensory objects. but sometimes joohyun just likes to absentmindedly chew on seungwan’s shoulder when she’s seated in her lap. or just mouth at some other part of her, like her arm or her fingers. it’s to keep her teeth in good condition by providing appropriate wear on her teeth. and she just likes the feeling.

 seungwan has to remind her not to chew on her nails. 

joohyun grooms herself a lot, keeping her hair and her skin in good condition. she’s very meticulous about this. bunnies don’t need showers but joohyun is a hybrid so she grooms and takes baths with like maybe a half-filled or less tub of water. 

she nose bumps into seungwan as a greeting, nips at her to demand to be put down, and adamantly thumps her foot when she wants attention or is scared of something and wants seungwan to do something about it.

she’s basically so quiet that sometimes she forgets to use her words, forgets she can even talk, and so she ends up trying to demand things in other ways, like tugging or nudging or stomping or nipping and seungwan doesn’t mind, she understands what joohyun tries to say most of the time.

but she has to gently remind joohyun to speak up sometimes, to be a little more vocal about her needs, because in the real world other people won’t always be able to understand her, and seungwan worries.

rabbits often show few outward signs of distress when they are ill or in pain, so joohyun’s personality naturally follows this. seungwan has to be really attentive to know if she’s ill or uncomfortable; the tells can always be the most subtle things easily missed, like when joohyun is hiding in an unusual spot, or sitting hunched over, or refusing to eat something.

joohyun does all their laundry. she doesn’t let seungwan touch any of it. the washing machine is hers.

joohyun can get sensitivity overload very easily, so she’s definitely not okay with crowds. not just because there’s so many people, but also because it’s so very loud. seungwan helps buy her noise cancelling headphones or ear defenders to help mute the sound.

she’ll pull a cap over her head with her bunny ears tucked underneath them and then put the headphones on to cover her human ears, meaning a lot of surrounding noise is muffled. it’s a little itchy and uncomfortable for her bunny ears if she wears a hat like that for so long, but she endures it because crowds really .

joohyun chewing is ridiculously endearing to seungwan because she takes small nibbles and eats pretty slowly to get through food. and she makes this quiet chewing sound that could absolutely be asmr-worthy content. sometimes seungwan just watches her eat with a silly smile on her face until joohyun blushes and, like, flicks her nose. 

if seungwan can’t immediately find joohyun when she arrives home, it’s likely because joohyun is hiding out in some part of the house, which she really likes to do. there’s just something very comforting to her, especially as a bunny hybrid, about tunnelling into these hidden spots and camping out there for a while. curled up and tucked away while reading a book or doodling to pass the time.

that also means joohyun likes to build these small blanket nests, and with a house as spacious as seungwan’s, there are so many opportunities for where she can assemble them. she gathers all the blankets and pillows they own, from her yellow chick blanket to the purple polka dotted one she likes to sleep with. throws in some of seungwan’s hoodies and her own stash of clothes, both worn and fresh out out of the laundry.

and then she goes about setting it all up in a certain corner where she’ll burrow into and settle there for the next few hours, maybe take a nap too while she’s at it.

joohyun is very graceful and balanced when moving quickly, dancing, or hopping, but when she’s like moving at a normal or slow pace she can be really clumsy, which seungwan finds absolutely hilarious. joohyun bumps into things a lot, even when she has glasses on so she can see close up. 

one time seungwan sees her walk into a wall trying to go to the restroom and (after making sure joohyun is okay) she just crumples to the floor laughing and joohyun’s face reddens as she grumpily shuts the door in her face.

likes/dislikes

joohyun doesn’t like to be picked up but does enjoy curling up in seungwans lap. but only when she’s on the floor or the couch, somewhere close to the ground, because joohyun doesn’t like being raised too high up. she likes being able to feel the ground beneath her feet.

she also really likes tummy and side and back rubs and sometimes just splays out along s

Please log in to read the full chapter