Chapter 01

Web of Lies

"No" Jiyong said firmly. He couldn't remember how many times he had said the same thing to his girlfriend who was still giving him that pleading look mixed with innocence that he had to look away from to not give in to her unreasonable request. 

"But.." His girlfriend, Jiyeon started again for the nth time but didn't continue hearing the frustrated sigh leaving the lips of the male. It didn't make sense to him, how she could be so persistent about the same thing when his answer didn't change no matter what tactics she used. 

Jiyeon opened to continue but Jiyong was faster. "You do realise that what you are asking for is really stupid, right?" He didn't wait for her answer because he knew it was stupid and crazy and well.. simply stupid. 

It had started exactly five days ago. Jiyeon had called him up asking him if she could visit him and being the loving boyfriend that he was, he said yes and besides it was quite a normal thing for them to visit each other's places. There was nothing wrong with that. Except, everything was wrong. How could he not realise something was amiss the moment she asked him. She had never called him beforehand. She was someone who simply barged into his place without a warning or prior notice. The signs were there but he was too blind to see. 

When she had arrived, he had simply welcomed her with a hug, having missed her. Once they were both seated and comfortable on the couch, Jiyeon had said those words. At first, Jiyong simply laughed it off thinking it was something of a joke because there was no way she could be serious about such a thing. But his laughter soon died down seeing the look on her face which made it clear as day that she was not joking. 

"No" Jiyong had said the first word that came to his mind. 

Jiyeon tried to reason with him and the more she tried, the more Jiyong was sure of how wrong it was. She had resorted to making a puppy face that he couldn't resist, thrown tantrums threatening to never talk to him again and all sorts of things that she could think of but nothing changed his mind. 

"No" was the only answer Jiyong kept giving her. Nothing more. Nothing less.

"Why not?" Jiyeon raised her voice but still kept herself from screaming out loud and all Jiyong could do was give her a blank stare wondering in the back of his mind how his girlfriend could not understand his reasons. 

"Well.." Jiyeon tapped her foot, crossing her arms across her chest, her forehead scrunched up waiting for Jiyong to answer. 

Letting out a sigh, Jiyong let his fingers rub his temple feeling an incoming headache. "Because I already have a girlfriend. You. " He said gesturing towards her. 

"Of course I know that.. " Jiyeon let out a huff uncrossing her arms and moving closer to her boyfriend." But i am not exactly telling you to break up with me." 

"You must be the one and only person in this world who wants her own boyfriend to play pretend boyfriend with someone else" It took everything in him not to scream in frustration as he let his fingers run through his hair, an exasperated sigh leaving his lips. Taking a deep breath to calm himself down, he held his girlfriend by her arms. "Look Jiyeon. I understand that you want to help your best friend but I am the wrong guy for it. Can't you find someone else to do it? I will help you look for someone myself" Jiyong had a pleading look hoping his girlfriend would understand. 

Jiyeon slumped her shoulders and for a moment, Jiyong thought she had given up but the words that followed made him realise she had not. "If i could think of someone else, I wouldn't have asked you in the first place. You are the only guy guy i trust around her. It is just a few days. It will be over before you know it."

Knowing that they were talking in circles with no end, Jiyong let go of his hold on her and got up from the couch walking away with another firm and resolute 'No'

It was not over that day. 

And Jiyeon continued to come over asking for the same thing receiving the same answer. There were moments when Jiyong had the sudden urge to close the door on her but didn't. 

Back at present, Jiyeon was giving the same look that she gave every other day. Jiyong didn't budge either. 

At last, Jiyeon looked like she was going to give up. "Meet her and tell her yourself then" Her lips formed a pout.

Jiyong looked at Jiyeon. "Why do i have to do that? She is your friend"

"Exactly. I can't tell her no after giving her hope. Its hard to turn down someone you know. But for you, who has never met her before, it will be easy." Her words sounded reasonable enough and Jiyong let himself relax as it seemed like she had finally given up on her idea. 

"Fine.. I will meet her"

If only he had seen the look on Jiyeon's face as he said so, he would have gone back on his words. But he didn't

 

Days later when he finally met the girl, Jiyong knew he had made a mistake of letting his girlfriend manipulate him. As he sat down across the girl facing her with Jiyeon by her side with an almost guilty look for having tricked him, he found the words leave his mind. 

The girl that Jiyeon had introduced to him as Lee Jieun was looking at anywhere but him, almost as if intimidated by him. He tried to tone down the intensity but she still kept her eyes averted from him. Fiddling with her fingers, she looked nervous and out of place. Her long hair framed her face, her eyes flickering over to her best friend once in a while, her naturally pink lips parting before closing ever other second as if trying to say something but finding no words. Her face looked make up free, the innocence making up for the lack of it making her look pretty, something that kept his eyes locked on her. 

She cleared and Jiyong realised he had been staring at her, more than what was considered normal. He waited for her to speak. She opened her lips but closed it before opening it again and said something that Jiyong couldn't catch. 

He leaned forward with a questioning look. "What?"

"You don't have to do it.." Jieun managed to speak in a normal voice, loud enough for Jiyong to hear. He was a little surprised to hear her voice. It was nothing like he had imagined. It was deep when he had been expecting that girly soft tone. She looked down at the cup of coffee on the table not saying any more words and he had the urge to make her speak just so he can hear her voice again. He couldn't understand why though. 

Jiyong couldn't tell what made him to what he did next. He should have been happy and walked away now that he didn't have to be the one to say no. But he stayed rooted in his seat. He looked at his girlfriend who looked like she was going to give up now that the one who wanted the help had refused it herself. He looked back at the girl, Jieun, her figure slouched in a defeated way. He didn't know why but it felt right at that moment. 

"I will do it"

 

 

 

 

First chapter is uppp.. 

Do let ne know what you guys think about it.. 

Comment and subscribe.. thank you^^