Turning Page

Turning Page

Looking at you was like looking at the night skies

The moon reflected your lips and the stars mirrored your eyes

I couldn't believe that I've become merciful

To a human so fragile and so beautiful

 

Two hundred years of waiting felt like almost a second

Because when I laid my eyes on you, my nonexistent pulse quickened

I've never felt more alive

By looking at you, whom I thought would never arrive

 

 

 

Staying in the dorm for a week got Wendy all wound up. She had just started going to college and she felt like a loser not knowing anyone in the campus besides her roommate, Seulgi. Her roommate was nice and easy to talk to, but she knew that they weren't compatible based on their personalities. Seulgi has an aura of an angel, while people look at Wendy like she's the devil herself. Why can't people just understand that she loves black and black looks good in anything! She sighed while looking outside her window, students were having fun, making friends and expanding their circle. She wished she could do the same, but whenever she approach people in her class, they wouldn't even make the effort to keep the conversation going. They're scared of her and she's annoyed by that.

 

Seulgi came back from her class and tiredly plopped down on her bed. "It's Friday, are you and your friends going out later?"

Wendy scrunched her nose, "No. I actually haven't made...acquaintances so I don't really know anyone besides you."

Seulgi suddenly had an idea, "I can help you with that! Come with me to this house party I got invited to just right outside the campus."

"Would it be okay for me to come? I don't really want to intrude with you and your friends." Wendy sat on her bed facing Seulgi.

"No, silly! It's a party and anyone's welcome." Seulgi assured her and moved to write down the address. "Is it okay if I meet you there though? I promised my other friend that I will come with her." she looked apologetic.

"Oh yeah. No worries." She assured and Seulgi smiled at her brightly. "I'll see you there."

 

When Seulgi bidded her goodbye, she started to get ready. After showering and putting on clothes, she did her makeup. She didn't go heavy on her makeup this time, she thought that if she wanted people to think she's approachable, she should adjust herself a little for them. She put on a light and peachy lipstick to complete her look instead of her usual dark lipstick that's usually intimidating.

"Hmm Cabin L. Street, that's not too far I think." She said to herself while examining the address. She took her phone and typed the address on google maps. There were two Cabin L. streets, the first one was located at the northern part of the campus while the other one was on the west. Such a weird thing to name two streets the same place. Since Seulgi told her it's right outside the campus, she chose the west one because it's closer to her dorm. She just chose to follow her instinct because she still doesn't have Seulgi's number and in no way to verify it to her. She shrugged and did the finishing touch on her look and went out of the dorm room. The sky was turning dark and she hurried her steps to get to the house quickly. She smiled to herself as she thought about of finally going out and make friends. 

 

As she got close to the end point that's on her google maps, she heard loud hoots and ruckus in a big house nearby. She turned off the application and walked briskly towards the house. Nothing about it seemed unusual, but it does have a little weird aura to it. Maybe college parties are just different. So she went straight to the patio and before she went in, she managed to text Seulgi before her phone died. "I'm here."

 

Entering the house surprised her, Seulgi didn't have to be so considerate that she went out of her way to invite her to a goth party. Wendy smiled at the thoughtfulness of her roommate, she'll thank her later when she sees her. As she strode along the hallway, she could feel the party-goers' eyes darted at her. They weren't mean, but it definitely made her feel a little uncomfortable. When she saw a girl standing alone in the balcony, she walked up to her just to be friendly. If others won't talk to her first, then she would do it herself. 

"Hi, I'm Wendy. Nice--" Before she could finish her sentence, she heard a growl from the girl. 

"Leave me alone!" She yelled and Wendy backed away. She could swear she saw her iris were red and her pupils looked dilated but the girl turned away quickly.

"Chill out, I understand." She held her hands up and walked away. That was really weird, she thought.

She went down the stairs and heard cheers in a room that she assumed was the dining room. She slowly made her way towards the room and got herself some punch from a gold bowl. It looked a lot like wine so she shrugged and drank the liquid. I've never been to a party that served wine. When her tongue tasted it, she immediately spat the atrocious drink and hurried to wash in the sink. 

"Oh thank god it's off, that tasted awful." She mumbled while drying herself and when she turned around, all eyes were on her and everybody stopped what they're doing. She laughed nervously and walked out of the room. She thought it's ironic that she's in a room full of goths like her, but then she couldn't help but feel out of place. The night was getting weirder and weirder every second so she just gave up and decided to go back to the dorm. Maybe I should just try again and make friends when I get to class next week.

 

When she was getting closer to the exit, she noticed a very pale woman wearing a purple fur coat sitting by the window ledge looking at the night sky. She wanted to come by and say hi, but she remembered the growling woman, the weird juice and the glares she got from the people in the house and thought to herself, That's enough being friendly for tonight. She sighed and ignored the woman, but to her surprise, for the first time that night, somebody had acknowledged her presence in a friendly way.

"Going home already?" She asked.

Wendy had stopped in her tracks and faced the woman. hung open as she looked at her, she looked so beautiful--no, ethereal actually. "O-oh you talking to me?" she stuttered.

"Yes." The woman straightened up in her seat.

"Well yeah, I don't exactly feel welcome here." She awkwardly laughed and scratched the back of her neck. The woman stood up and inched closer to her and felt her neck with cold fingers.

"Nice...necklace." The woman furrowed her eyebrows and retracted her hand. 

"Thanks I guess? It's my favorite choker." She said awkwardly and seconds had passed by and no one was talking. "So...well...I'm gonna go now." She attempted to turn her heel, but was interrupted when the woman talked again.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"I'm Wendy, and you are?" She asked back.

"Irene." She walked away and waved at Wendy, signalling for her to follow.

Wendy looked between the exit then the woman, contemplating where to go. Curiosity killed the cat, but whatever. I have nothing better to do anyway. She decided to choose the latter.

 

As they walked through the hallway, the people from before weren't glaring at her anymore and rather gave curious looks. Was it because of her? They went upsatirs and she mindlessly followed Irene to the farthest room in the second floor. When they entered the room, she saw a table, a lit fireplace, a bookshelf that's twice as big as her and a huge couch by the window.

"Is this your room?" She asked as she stood in awe, she's never seen such a huge collection of books, they even looked like first editions.

"Yes." Irene timidly answered while watching her.

She walked around the room, "You sleep in the couch?"

For the first time that night, Irene smiled. "You could've asked other interesting questions, yet you thought of that?"

"Well..." Wendy thought she's right. "What are we doing here anyway? Do you just invite strangers to your room?"

Irene walked up to her and she felt tensed, "No, I don't."

"Yet here we are. So, why'd you bring me here anyway?" She sighed and brushed her fingers on the books, examining Irene's expression.

"You looked lost earlier." She said such a poor excuse.

"Like I said, I didn't feel welcome earlier." Wendy bit her lip.

"How about now?" Irene's gaze was really intimidating.

"What are we really doing here, Irene?" She asked impatiently and Irene didn't answer. "Fine, don't answer. I'm just gonna go, my roommate's not even here."

Irene's cold hand grabbed hers. "What do you mean?" She looked confused as well.

"My roommate, Seulgi, she invited me to this party. She wanted to help me make friends, but I guess that's not even an option now." Wendy retracted her hand. "Thanks for your time though, I appreciate your effort in making me feel...welcome."

"It's impossible for your friend to be here, Wendy. She won't be coming." Irene's voice turned cold.

"No , Sherlock. I think I've established that thought minutes ago." Wendy huffed.

"You don't have to be so...hostile." Irene walked towards the window and gazed at the moon.

Wendy felt guilty, "Well I'm sorry about that, I'm just feeling really frustrated ever since I stepped foot in the uni." 

Irene sat on the couch and patted the empty space next to her, signalling for Wendy to sit too. "Why is that?"

"I haven't made friends, except Seulgi of course, if we're counting the people I talked with more than 5 sentences, and it's harder for me because they avoid me. I thought that when you're in college, your differences won't matter anymore. I guess I believed the wrong idea." She sat down next to the pale woman, she didn't want to throw a pity party especially with a stranger in a strange house, but it's a strange night anyway.

"Different's...not so bad. We're all different and it's completely fine. How old are you by the way?" Irene asked.

"I just turned 19 last February. You?" She curiously looked at the woman next to her. "Let me guess...you're 20."

The attractive woman smirked, like there's a meaning behind it. "That's way too young." She stood up and went by the table to get herself a drink.

Wendy furrowed her eyebrows and followed the woman, "21? 22? 25, maybe?"

She drank the red liquid on her cup and giggled, "Can we stop talking about age now? You're making me feel old."

The younger one was puzzled, she can't be above 30, she looks really young. 

 

While they were talking about Wendy's first week in the university, they got interrupted by a loud knock. A tall girl who looked younger than her appeared by the door and was wearing that weird glare again, it seemed like Irene's attention was needed somewhere. She let out a deep sigh then went back to Wendy and told her she'll be back in a few minutes. She also instructed her to stay in her room and never open the door whatever happens. Wendy thought it was weird, but the host said so, so she just obeyed. While Irene was away, she fidgeted around and since there's no TV or other stuff to entertain her, she stood up to get a book. 

"Dracula, Bram Stoker. First edition." She read the title and the author as she examined the book. The cover was yellow with plain red text, she doesn't have much knowledge about books, but she does know the feel of an old one. Irene's parents must've been rich for her to own something like a first edition. She read a little from the intro and gave up before she even reached page two. Books just weren't her thing. She placed it on the table and roamed around the room, she was getting bored and hungry and Irene's still outside. She looked at the cup Irene drank from, but she remembered the atrocious liquid she ingested earlier. Never again. 

 

Half an hour had passed by and Wendy got antsy so she decided to look around. Since Irene's away, she just decided to write a note and let her know that she's going out of her room. She left the note at the table and turned to walk outside the door. She timidly opened the door, afraid to make noises and to her surprise, Irene was about to enter the room.

"What are you doing?" The pale woman asked, Wendy backed away to the room and failed to leave. "Didn't I tell you to stay and never open the door?"

She awkwardly laughed and took the paper by the table, "I was bored...and you were still not here...so...I thought I should go look around..."

Irene pinched the bridge of her nose and controlled herself, "Are you hungry?" she asked instead of lashing out.

Wendy perked up, "Oh yes! Actually I haven't eaten anything since I got here except for that atrocious drink you offer in your party."

Irene laughed and handed a brown paper bag, "I understand, I got something for you to eat."

She took it and examined what's inside, the bag contained burger, fries and a bottle of water. "Thanks! Are you not going to eat too?"

"No, burger's...not really included in my diet." She made up an excuse, it wasn't a complete lie though, Wendy just shrugged.

"So you're a health freak then, that explains why you look healthy and young." Wendy said before taking a bite.

"I guess you could say that." Irene watched her devour the burger and moan while eating. 

 

They were standing side by side by the window. Wendy felt almost at ease with the atmosphere in the room, Irene seemed to be more comfortable with her than earlier and honestly, Wendy was just mesmerized with her beauty. Her jet black hair really matched her pale complexion, those doe eyes too that exudes innocence in them and the way her grey eyes sparkle under the moonlight, Wendy had never seen such a perfect looking person.

"You look really pretty." Wendy blurted out while Irene was talking.

The pale woman was taken aback, "Thank you. You look pretty too."

"Do you have a boyfriend?" She asked shamelessly.

"I don't really swing that way." Irene grinned and Wendy's eyes widened.

"That's...really great." She propped her chin in her palm, eyes were fascinated. "I-I mean--"

"Do you find me attractive?" She copied her gesture and it almost knocked out the air in Wendy's lungs, their faces were just inches away.

"Huh? Oh. Yeah. Sure. I think..." She stammered and felt her cheeks reddening. 

Irene's lips curled into a smile and Wendy was ready to pass out, "Because if you're going to ask me, I find you attractive."

 

Well that was enough to shut her up, she felt like an idiot not having any response to that. She looked away from their staring contest and tried to focus her gaze elsewhere. If she continued looking at Irene, she might pass out or do something that's embarrassing and make them uncomfortable.

"The moon--" She was cut off when Irene's cold hand cupped her cheek and turned her attention to her.

"I could hear your heart hammering on your chest." Irene whispered, "Don't be afraid." 

The vampire slowly leaned on her face, Wendy was too intoxicated with the beautiful woman's presence that she willingly let herself be taken by her. She closed her eyes and the pale woman captured her lips with hers. It was ironic how she melted in the ice cold lips. She opened her eyes and watched the doe eyes flutter open, her pupils looked dilated. 

"Are you okay? Your lips felt cold. Well you're really cold." She held her arm worriedly.

"Don't worry about me. Besides, should we be even talking right now?" The pale one inched forward and Wendy backed away, her heel coming in contact with the couch. 

She chuckled nervously, "I don't know really." 

Irene moved herself more towards her until Wendy fell on the couch, "Think of it as...college experience." She hovered above her.

Wendy felt hot, she didn't expect her night to turn out like this. A very attractive woman on top of her wasn't something she'd imagined to happen in her early college days. She was having inner battles and Irene was getting impatient. The pale one sat and helped her get up. 

"Sorry about that." She said, feeling embarrassed. "I think I got the wrong message--"

Wendy cut her off with a kiss. She tugged on her hair as she deepened it, while the pale one's hand caressed her neck. Getting used to their lip-locking, Irene probed her tongue on Wendy's mouth and the younger one gripped her shoulders. She broke the kiss and felt aroused by looking at Wendy whose cheeks were turning red from the rush of the blood running in her veins. She looked at her pools, getting permission for what she's about to do next and they granted her. Wendy watched her as she slowly slid her hand inside her shirt and brushed her hands on her chest, while the other her thigh. She brought herself to place wet kisses on her neck. It was probably a bad idea, but the way her tongue and lips felt the vibrations of Wendy's blood flowing on her jugular veins drove her insane. Her fangs poked out involuntarily and she let out a low growl, prompting Wendy to open her eyes. The human saw how the color of her eyes changed from grey to red and how veins around it protruded. The color drained from Wendy's face and pried Irene off of her when she came to her senses. She hurriedly fixed her clothes before running away from the human turned monster whom she was just making out with a second ago. When she reached the door, she didn't know how it happened, but Irene was already standing there and her face had returned to normal and ethereal looking. 

"Wendy--" She approached her, but Wendy ran past her and banged her fists on the big door.

"HELP ME PLEASE THERE'S--" Her scream was muffled with Irene's cold hand, she panicked and elbowed her stomach.

"Stop! You need to calm down." Irene wrapped her other arm on Wendy's torso along with her arms. "I'll let you go, but promise me you won't scream."

Wendy nodded her head frantically and the vampire set her free. She was visibly shaking and her chest was heaving from running and the anxiety she was feeling in the moment. She backed away when Irene approached her again, "Please don't kill me." She shut her eyes that started crying and shielded herself with her arms.

"I won't hurt you. Please don't cry, Wendy." The vampire's face was etched with worry. There's one thing she loved and hated at the same time being a vampire, it's when a human's face show that terrible fear when she's about to prey on them, the horror in their face was so satisfying and heartbreaking at the same time. How come this girl in front of her made her feel disgusted with herself and hate how she was craving for her blood so much? She slowly walked towards Wendy and the girl was still hesitant to let her invade her personal space.

"Back off monster!" Wendy spat and continued crying, she never took her eyes off of Irene even a split second. "Please let me go. I want to go home." she sobbed.

"Calm down, Wendy. I won't hurt you, and I'm...not a monster." She sighed and gave up trying to approach the human. 

"Then what?" she asked and took a step back. "Your eyes turned red and scary and you have fangs, Irene! That's what a monster is."

"I know you're in shock and scared, but please let's talk about this calmly and as civil as possible. Please sit down on the chair and let me explain." Irene pulled out the chair for Wendy and stayed at least two yards away from her. The human timidly sat on the chair, not letting her guard down. She sniffled and waited for Irene to talk. "I'm not a human, Wendy. 200 miles per hour...that's how fast I can run, I can make anyone do what I want at my disposal and I'm a hundred percent more stronger than any human army."

She took a deep breath and felt her heart hammering in her chest, "Tell me what you really are."

"I'm a vampire, Wendy."

 

Wendy's not one to believe in fantasies and all those supernatural stuff, but why did it have to be her who's trapped in the monster's lair? All she wanted was to have a normal and stressful college experience like everyone else had gone through. If Ashton Kutcher was trying to prank her, now would be a good time to tell her she's been punk'd. How could this happen to her? A few minutes had gone by, and she was still processing what Irene had said. Vampire, fangs, blood, twilight, the vampire diaries, dracula, shadowhunters...all of those were real? God I'm going insane!

"Wendy?" Irene spoke and broke her out of her trance.

She furrowed her eyebrows and stood up from the chair, "If you're a vampire...you drink human blood and I am...a human. Oh god!" Wendy panicked again and tried to run away. "Help!"

Irene pinched the bridge of her nose and ran to block her way. She didn't have much choice so she used her compelling skill to calm Wendy down. She looked at her straight in the eyes and said, "Calm down and stay on the couch." 

Wendy's feet involuntarily dragged her towards the couch, she wanted to scream and make a fuss but her voice could only produce a mellow sound. It's like someone had drugged her and she couldn't withdraw it away from her system. "What did you do to me?" 

"I compelled you. You need to stop screaming because you really don't want to wake up 99 vampires who are hungry for some fresh human blood in the middle of the night." She said, trying to scare Wendy. "Are you in a hurry to die?"

Thankfully, that worked on Wendy. She stopped trying to resist the spell and embraced her fate of being Irene's meal by the end of this night. The vampire smiled to herself and sat beside Wendy. "99? Is anyone missing?" Her curiosity amused the vampire. She really has the most interesting questions.

"I didn't count myself in anymore since I'm not craving for blood and I'm already awake." Irene turned her head away from Wendy. "You really hurt my feelings when you said I'm a monster." she fake sobbed and Wendy felt bad for what she did.

"I'm sorry, I was just shocked and scared--" She stopped talking when she heard Irene giggle.

"Aww you are such a cute little human." The vampire mocked and smirked at her. 

"You're an awful person." Wendy shook her head and let out an exasperated sigh.

 

Wendy had felt so exhausted from the events and fell asleep while Irene watched her, she was fascinated with how life surrounded the younger girl. She sighed to herself, contemplating what to do next with the human she inconveniently trapped in her house that's full of vampires. The moment she stepped foot on her porch, Irene had already sensed the presence of a human near her. Her task as the vampire leader was to keep her members well fed, but something came to her and stopped them from attacking the girl. The reason why she had to go out earlier was because her members were worried that Wendy might expose them when she finally realize they're vampires, but she assured them that nothing like that would happen and that she got everything under control.

In her three hundred years of living in this awful yet beautiful world, she had only fell in love once and that was two centuries ago. Her lover died because of the plague and refused to be revived as a vampire like her, at first she wanted to be selfish and turn her, but her love prevailed so she let her go peacefully. Why was she thinking this? It's because her lover looks exactly like Wendy. She couldn't help but think if this was what her Seungwan told her about before.

"Joohyun, I don't think I will be around much longer." Seungwan coughed while her body was resting in the hard and uncomfortable bed.

Irene held her hand and kissed the back of it, "Let me turn you, Seungwan. That way you wouldn't have to feel and endure the excruciating pain. We will be together until the end."

Seungwan's lips curled into a weak smile, "It's tempting, but I wouldn't want to continue living a borrowed life with a consequence I know I wouldn't be able to bear taking everyday. It's a cross not intended for me to carry. I would like to die as a human, Joohyun. I would always choose to be human." Tears spilled on Irene's eyes and seconds before Seungwan breathed her last breath, she managed to say, "We will meet again, I know we would. When the time is right, I would come back and I'll make sure that next time we meet, I would be ready to bear that cross for you. Wait for me, Joohyun." She died wearing that peaceful smile Irene had always dreamed to wake up to forever. 

 

Wendy woke herself up, attempting to sneak out when Irene's not looking. But to her surprise, she saw a very emotional and crying Irene whose sad gaze belonged to the moon. She was sitting by the window ledge and quietly crying by herself. It's a rare sight and she felt sad too while watching the scene. Unable to brush off and ignore the beautiful vampire, she stood up from the couch and walked towards her instead of the door. Her curious gaze made the vampire turn to her.

"Why are you awake?" Irene hopped off the ledge to stand.

"Why were you crying?" She pried.

"I wasn't. So why are you awake?" The vampire just felt so amused by this human.

"I was going to sneak out, but I was more interested with you." She tried to muffle , but the she couldn't help but involuntarily speak. 

"I knew it." The vampire smirked, "Two options for you, little human: If you leave this room, my clan members would feed on you and extract your blood until death takes over you. If you stay, you won't have to fear death for I will be the one to take your heart and make you mine forever." she backed her to the couch and bent over so their faces were on the same level.

Wendy felt shaken by that statement, It's either die by the bites of 99 vampires or be a slave of 1 vampire. She chuckled nervously and patted her hands on Irene's shoulders. "Got it...I got it. Yup...I'm just going to sit here and...wait for you to prep me into a meal. No funny business, no ma'am."

"That's more like it. See? When you don't defy my rules, we're all happy and peaceful." Irene sat next to her and draped her arm around her. 

"You're the only one who's happy, stupid." Wendy mumbled, but Irene heard her.

"You do realize I hear you, so loud actually." Irene scoffed at her.

"What else can you do?" The human asked, her curious gaze pierced the vampire.

"Hmm let's see...speed, compel, strength, super hearing, my vision's perfect too and i could magnify better than a microscope--" Wendy cut her off.

"Whoa do you have special skills too like the vampires in twilight? Could you see the future and hear thoughts? Do your skin shine under the sunlight too?" She asked excitedly.

The vampire grimaced, "Ew. Speed, strength, hearing and perfect vision are all the things they got right, but the rest of them? Purely fiction. I could say the only show that was a little more accurate about real vampires is the vampire diaries." Wendy inched herself closer to the vampire and suddenly, she pried open with her hands. The vampire was shocked so she dettached her hands quickly and moved away from the human. "What the hell are you doing to me?"

"Can I see your fangs again?" Wendy asked like a kid and Irene shook her head in dismay.

 

Wendy was having fun playing with Irene and her abilities. She couldn't help but think, Do I look like a goddamn clown to her? The human made her run, hold up her bookshelf, see her lip-reading skills, and made her compel her to slap her forehead. Wendy was clapping like a seal and shrieking whenever she does something amazing with her skills. Has it been too long that babysitting a human felt more troublesome than fighting werewolves?

"One more! Do it again!" Wendy cheered, but the vampire wasn't having it.

"No! I don't want to anymore. I can't believe you're embarrassing me like this. I'm a vampire and you're a human, you're the one who's supposed to do things and not me." Irene sat back on the couch and crossed her arms. 

Wendy giggled and poked her cheek, "Wow you're really dead. You're literally ice cold." 

"Stop it." She took a deep breath and held Wendy's wrist. "Or I will throw you out to my family who must be so thirsty right now."

"One last favor." The human cupped her cheek, "Show me your real face."

Irene was taken aback by the request, did she hear her right? A few hours ago, she wanted to scram away from her and now she wanted to see her real face? What a very, very interesting human. "No, I don't want you to get all scream queen on me and ran away."

"I won't, I promise." Wendy smiled and assured her.

Irene was skeptical, but Wendy looked so curious and interested with her. Unable to stand that curious gaze of the human, Irene showed her real face to her. The younger one was in awe, she brushed her fingertips around Irene's eyes that's full of veins. She slid her index finger on the vampire's sensitive fang that poked out of and finally, she looked at her red eyes directly with so much curiosity. Irene couldn't wrap her head around what it was, but it sure felt intimate and different. She switched back to her calm face and if she had blood flowing on her body, she would've been blushing in that moment. Wendy was still cupping her face so she cleared before speaking, "Are you happy now?"

The human nodded happily and sat back down, "So what does it feel like?"

Irene quirked her eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

"Being a vampire...drinking blood...stuff like that." Wendy looked directly at her eyes.

The vampire chuckled, "What is this? A sit down interview? You are one curious human, huh?"

"Well since you're going to make me your slave, I might as well know the background of my employer." She shrugged and turned her body towards Irene and propped her head in her palms.

"Look at you being so calm and cooperative about this situation. I'm proud of you." Irene smirked and cupped her cheek with her cold hand.

"I don't really have much choice, do I? I would die from exsanguination either way." She sighed in exasperation and the vampire chuckled at her silliness. 

"You are so dramatic and tiring." Irene shook her head, "You know what? Why don't you make yourself useful instead and let me your neck. You didn't have a problem with me doing it to you earlier." she smirked, thinking about their make out session a few hours ago.

Wendy's eyes widened, everything that's happened earlier--the growling woman, the atrocious juice that was actually blood and their make out session felt like years ago. The time had been going painfully slow and she hated how she's getting so used to Irene's company. "You want to drink my blood?"

"I was only thinking about making out, but if you're very willing to offer me your blood while making out then be my guest." The vampire said mischievously, emphasising the word "while". "I won't refuse your offer."

The human chuckled nervously and backed away, "Can we just not? You don't want me, my blood's not really good." The vampire moved closer, smirk appearing in her lips. "It tastes like pee and expired milk, I promise you won't like it." Irene lightly pecked her lips and backed away from her. "Is being a perpetrator part of being a vampire too?"

"You kissed me back and didn't really stop me so it's not ual harassment." She smirked and stood up to drink blood from the cup in her table. "Plus, I'm a vampire, I think perpetrator's a really fitting word for me."

 

Wendy groaned and sprawled herself on the couch, feeling defeated. She thought about her roommate, Seulgi, who's probably sleeping soundly by now. She must be so wasted from the party she was meant to go to with her. She didn't want to admit it, but this sudden turn of events was exhilarating. The thrill of being with a vampire was one for the books, but of course, she wasn't too happy being trapped and becoming a vampire's blood bag. She still hoped that maybe tomorrow or one day, someone would notice her disappearance and be brave enough to save her from this impossible dream. Was it really all a coincidence?

"What are you planning to do with me besides... my blood?" She suddenly asked. "When you get tired of the taste of my blood, are you going to kill me?"

Irene draped her arm over her shoulder, "You humans are always so dramatic."

"Says the one who's crying by herself earlier." She sassed.

The vampire held her chest and scoffed, "I wasn't crying."

"Yes you were." Wendy crossed her arms. "You looked like you're shooting a dramatic music video by your window. Care to share about it, vampy?"

Irene's eye twitched, "Vampy? You really are on a roll in embarrassing me, huh."

Wendy giggled and bumped her shoulder to hers. "Tell me."

"You won't like it. It will scare you and I don't want you to freak out." Irene sighed deeply.

"This night's already freaky for me. Whatever your story's about won't surprise me anymore." She winked, but Irene was skeptical. If I told her about Seungwan, I'm sure she wouldn't just freak out, she would go bat crazy. But I also kind of owe her an explanation, if it weren't for my desire to find out about her, she wouldn't be here.

 

After contemplating and thinking deeply, Irene decided to tell her about Seungwan. She decided that she would accept whatever Wendy's reaction and decision may be even if it turned out to be difficult for her side, but at least, she'd know her story. The human listened carefully as she began talking when and where they met, what relationship they had, what year it happened, the plague and Seungwan's refusal of turning into a vampire and her last words before her death. 

"That was...quite a story." She commented, "You must've loved her so much."

"I did, I still do actually. It was once in a lifetime kind of love." She smiled at the thought of her Seungwan. 

"So why did you change your name to Irene?" The human asked, eyes were full of curiosity.

The vampire turned to her, "It's a little old fashioned." she chuckled, "And I don't want to be Joohyun alone, if Seungwan returns to my side, that's the only time I'll be using that name again. Joohyun would never be Joohyun if Seungwan's not on her side."

"Joohyun and Seungwan, huh?" She smiled to herself. "I don't get why you told me I wouldn't like it because I did, it's a beautiful story."

The vampire took a deep breath, "Her last words...us meeting again."

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"What if I told you that you look exactly like her and that you might be what she was talking about?" Irene looked directly at her eyes.

Wendy felt her heart hammer in her chest and her breath hitched at what the vampire had just said. "What?"

Irene squeezed her shaking hand, "Listen to me, Wendy. I am the leader of all the vampires in this house. I do not normally involve myself with humans unless I'm feeding on them. The moment you stepped foot in my house, I already sensed your presence. When I saw your face, I got scared and excited. My Seungwan...I have been waiting for centuries just to lay my eyes on you again." She cupped her cheek. "I know all of this have shaken your world, but I don't regret telling you who I am and what I am."

Wendy stood up, her voice was quivering,"How are you so sure that it's me? How are you so sure that me being here wasn't a mistake and a coincidence?"

"Because you stayed, Wendy." Irene stood and held her hand. "When you knew that I am a vampire, you stayed."

"I didn't really have much choice, you were threatening me." She defended and retracted her hand from the cold grasp of the vampire.

"You knew I could hurt you and feed on you anytime I want. I would've done it if I wanted to, Wendy, but you knew in you heart, I wouldn't. You didn't fear my touch and you weren't scared to touch me." She reasoned out, "I've never seen another human stare at me in awe while looking at my real face besides Seungwan."

"My curiosity doesn't mean I was from your past. There weren't enough proofs that I am Seungwan, I am not her Irene. I am not your reincarnated lover." Wendy backed away and shook her head. 

Irene sighed in defeat, this was what she was most afraid of. Wendy pushing her away felt just as painful as the time Seungwan refused to be turned to a vampire. Centuries. She had waited centuries to see her Seungwan again, but for the second time around, they just don't seem to meet and be with each other like how she wanted them to. Her heart had stopped beating for a long, long time, yet the pain in her chest never went away. Was this her punishment for taking a lot of lives to quench the devil in her? Was this her punishment for being able to live a lifetime? To live in it alone? Irene doesn't want to live another day if it means she would be alone forever, she doesn't want immortality. She doesn't want to spend another century if Seungwan and her would meet to be separated again. 

"I'm sorry, Irene, but I am not who you think I am." Wendy tore her eyes off of the vampire. "I'm...just me, Wendy, an ordinary freshman who crashed the wrong party. I wasn't born to assume the role of Seungwan, my curiosity and my face, it was all...a coincidence."

Irene walked towards her and held her hand. "I understand." 

The human cupped her cheek, "I'm really sorry, Irene. I may not be who you were waiting for, but maybe...just maybe, in this unusual night, Seungwan must have missed you wherever she is and wanted to give you a reminder that she's still with you even if centuries had passed. Maybe she wanted you to remember and reminisce the beautiful story of Joohyun and Seungwan." she enveloped the vampire in a warm embrace.

The vampire melted in her warmth and remembered how good it felt to be held by someone whose heart was pure. "Thank you, Wendy." she intertwined their hands and they looked at each other's eyes. 

The ray of the rising sun peeked through the curtains and took both of their attention, "It's morning." Wendy spoke to herself.

Irene smiled while watching the sun, "It's time for me to sleep."

Wendy nodded and looked at their twined hands, "So...I think it's time for me to go then, are you letting me off the hook or are there 99 vampires who are waiting for me outside?"

"Yes, I'm letting you go." The vampire chuckled with bitterness behind them, "You don't have to worry about vampires, I'm going to compel you to forget all that's happened earlier. I will send you back to your dorm safely."

"You could do that?" She asked and Irene nodded. "Let me give you a parting gift then." Wendy pushed her hair away from her neck and removed her choker, she handed it to her and the vampire accepted. "That's not all, I haven't fully fulfilled my duty as your human blood bag. It's morning and breakfast is the most important meal of the day." She turned her head and offered her neck to Irene.

The vampire chuckled and buried her face on the crook of her neck. "Thank you Wendy, but it's not necessary." She placed a soft kiss on her neck before placing a kiss too on her forehead. "You will forget about everything that's happened the past night and the existence of real vampires, you will forget the vampire leader Irene and if you're asked about what happened to you last night, you would only remember that you had spent the night at a college party you were invited to and just didn't bump into your roommate, Seulgi."

 

 

"You are not thinking this through." Sooyoung, Irene's right hand, pinched the bridge of her nose in disbelief while Irene sat by her window ledge, holding a liquid filled small bottle that's shaped like an hourglass. 

"Sooyoung, I'm entrusting the clan's safety to you." She gazed at the moon, "Don't let them go hungry, you know how they get when they're thirsty for blood. We've protected this clan for as long as I can remember, don't let it all go to waste."

"Are you doing this because of that lost girl from last night? What did she do to you for you to act like this?" Sooyoung was angered and hurt, she had been with Irene for a century and she was a sister to her and she can't let her do what's planning.

Irene smiled, "Don't ever touch that girl from last night because I'm doing this for me, Sooyoung. She has nothing to do with this. Have I ever told you why I remained being a vampire? I'm not just a creature who liked immortality and power. I continued "living" because of one sole reason and that was to wait for my greatest love to come back to me. She had promised that she would come back and told me to wait so we could meet again." A tear fell from her eyes, "I have lived centuries hoping that one day, I would see and meet her again and we could continue our story that's been put on hold when she had died. Last night, I realized that maybe I interpreted her wrong. Maybe we really are supposed to meet again, only that it's not in the same lifetime. I miss her a lot and it's been hard living for a long time and she's not by my side. I may not have the body of a normal human, but for a long time there's been a hole in my heart and no amount of blood or power can ever fill it except her, she's what my whole being needs, Sooyoung."

"I understand you, Irene, but you have us, your whole vampire family's here with you. You don't have to do this." Sooyoung held her hand, tears falling from her eyes. 

"Irene?" A young vampire poked her head from the door of Irene's room. 

"Come here, Yeri." She waved her hand and the young vampire ran towards her.

Irene patted her head and smiled at her, "Be a good vampire, Yerimie. Always remember what I've taught you, and don't forget to brush your fangs, okay? It hurts really bad when you grow cavities."

"I will." She innocently smiled, "Why is Sooyoung crying? Are you going away? Can I come with you?"

"I'll be gone for a long time and no, both of you can't come." The older one cupped their cheeks and enveloped them in a big hug. "We will meet again."

Sooyoung escorted Yeri out and gave a final nod to the older one before walking away too. Irene closed the door and sat on the window ledge again. She popped open the lid of the small bottle and gazed at the moon. She took a deep breath and drank the elixir of death, "I will see you soon, Seungwan." The vampire smiled before she perished and turned into ash.

 

 

 

 

I have crossed different dimensions and lifetimes

Because losing you would be such a crime

I would live in regret if it's not with you

To the ends of the earth, I'd still follow you

 

To be with you is like an impossible dream

An illusion that would surely make me beam

A lot of people said that third time's the charm

So I believed that when I wake up in this dream, it would be in your arms

 

 

 

Hyuni had been so engrossed in reading the new vampire comics that her grandma Wendy bought for her. She's not much of a comic fan, but she gave it a chance because she didn't want to hurt her lovely grandma's feelings. She was walking along the hallway of her school when suddenly, somebody collided hard with her side.

"Ow!" Her small body plopped on the ground and whimpered in pain.

The kid who bumped into her ran away quickly with his skateboard, "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" 

She quickly searched for her eyeglasses on the ground, it's her second day at school and she couldn't afford to be seen by other kids like that. Thankfully, someone was too nice to help her get up. The glasses was handed to her and she wore it quickly to look at the person, "Thank you so much." She stared at the girl in awe, her smile was so bright that she might get mistaken as the sun. 

"No problem, I can't believe it's only the second day and there are already jerks around." She dusted off Hyuni's sweater and the latter was just watching her. "That's a nasty bruise you got there." She grimaced.

"What?" Hyuni asked and the girl pointed at her arm. When she looked at the bleeding cut, the color drained from her face and her knees felt weak. She was hemophobic. "Mom--"

"H-hey!" 

 

Hyuni slowly opened her eyes and saw the white walls surrounding her. The light was too bright and her eyes felt sensitive to it. She brought herself up and pinched the bridge of her nose, thinking how long she had been knocked out. She took her stuff and walked towards the nurse and asked some questions.

"What happened?" She asked.

"Your friend brought you in, she said you passed out when you saw blood. She said she'll com--" The nurse was cut off by the creak of the door opening. "Oh there she is."

The girl from earlier was wearing that bright smile again, Hyuni couldn't help but mirror it. "Hi!" she greeted the nurse and turned to Hyuni, "Oh you're awake." she giggled and waved at her.

 

They walked together after the final check-up at the infirmary, the girl was too nice to accompany her and help her with everything. She couldn't help but stare at the girl curiously and admire her.

"Joohyun, right?" The girl asked in a friendly yet timid way.

She gave a coy smile. "Just call me Hyuni, Joohyun's a little too old for my liking. You?"

"Oh wow. I think we're meant to be." She giggled and Hyuni blushed from the remark, "My name's Seungwan, but I prefer Wani because my real name's old-fashioned too."

 

 

Ever since the start of their friendship, Wani had always been fond of Hyuni. There's something about Hyuni that Wani would always want to protect. When Hyuni goes on school competitions, she'd be there to support and cheer for her, when she's struggling with a homework, Wani would go the extra mile and learn it for her so she could show her how to properly answer the assignment, and the times when Hyuni's sick, Wani would come over to her house and sleep over, she would with cuddle her until she fall asleep. It's wonderful and weird at the same time how she'd be there for her at her disposal, their friends even often tease them and call them each other's wife. 

Wani, Seulgi, Sooyoung, and Yeri came over to Hyuni's house for a sleep over. After watching a movie, gossiping about stupid kids at their school and braiding each other's hair, they got knocked out and their tired bodies were sprawled on the mattresses on the floor of Hyuni's room. Hyuni slept alone on her bed and her body hated the lack of warmth, she needed Wani. She got out from her bed and tip-toed where Wani was, she tapped her arm and her friend stirred awake. "Wani." she whispered.

She needed sleep, but Hyuni needed her more. "Yeah?" she quickly propped up on her elbows and looked around the dark room.

"Sleep with me." She said and pulled Wani's arm.

"Easy, I might step on Seulgi's head." She lazily giggled and stood up to get into Hyuni's bed. She lied down on the bed and Hyuni followed, she put over the blanket and was ready to get back to sleep when Hyuni suddenly talked.

"I love..." Her breath hitched, "I love...sleepovers."

"I love sleepovers too, Hyuni." She smiled at her. 

"It's lonely and cold when you're not here." She clung onto her like a koala.

Wani enveloped her in her arms, "I'll be here to keep you warm whenever, wherever and forever."

"You promise?" Tiredness slowly took over her and her voice was getting softer. 

"I promise." Wani intertwined their hands and kissed Hyuni's cheek before drifting off to sleep.

 

 

thanks for reading!

Original plan was to end the story when Irene drank the elixir, but I just felt...sad LOL but I won't let y'all down so ;) 

Title was inspired by the song: Turning Page by Sleeping at Last // you guys should listen :)

All poetries were made by yours trulyyy,,,not a pro but yeahhh

Have a nice day lovessss