Chapter 001

Unraveling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Chapter 001 
 



࿐ྂ
 

 

 


Why am I here?

My eyes were closed, my head leaning against the chair. I could perfectly imagine what was happening around me. The loud music blasting from the dance floor was making my head throb. The drink that Mina ordered for me was way too strong, I could only take a couple of sips at first but later on emptied it because of boredom. The black, body-hugging, halter dress that reached right above my knee that she insisted I wear was making it hard for me to breathe.

I wanted to leave so bad but I couldn’t. In fact, I shouldn’t if I didn’t want my best friend to nag me about how I left her birthday celebration the next morning. Actually, she’d end up bothering me for the rest of my life, so no…leaving wasn’t an option I could freely pick right now.

The number of people moving and talking around me was pretty annoying. There were around seven people in the lounge Mina booked for her celebration. I was seated next to her but she had to entertain her other guests too.

They might think of me as a killjoy and I couldn’t care less honestly. Aside from me and her boyfriend Tae Ha, the rest were her colleagues from work. I didn’t know most of them, the others I’ve only met once or twice. By the looks of it, they seem heavy drinkers, partygoers. Maybe if it was at a different time and with different people, I might have actually enjoyed it.

However, the stuff I left on my desk was bothering me. I had a client presentation tomorrow that was yet to be finished. Mina and I didn’t really have enough time to meet this year because I was too busy at work and I kind of felt guilty not attending her party. 

I didn’t have a plan to open my eyes just yet if not for the inaudible whisper on my right ear. I instantly got irritated. Turning to the owner of the voice, I frowned. It was one of Mina’s colleagues, Hyojin. He was grinning at me which I hated. I wasn’t being a for no reason at all. This guy had been obviously hitting on me and had asked me to dance several times already. Of course, I had to decline every single time. It’s not that he looked bad, he’s good looking but he seemed way too straightforward, too aggressive. He even placed a hand on my knee a while ago, the gesture earning a glare from me right away.

I thought he had already gotten the message that I wanted him to vanish but oh well, maybe some people just don’t have enough IQ to comprehend.

“You might wanna dance now?” He told me, winking at me. “It might help you blend in, you know.” He added sounding a bit sarcastic.

“No thank you.” I forced a smile as I refused his offer again. “I’m good,” I added, realizing that it was just the two of us left here now.

Roaming my attention around, I looked for Mina and others and found them on the dance floor. They were all having fun, except me. I thought I should just really get out of here. Maybe I’d just send Mina a message that I suddenly felt sick, I needed to go.

“How about we get out of here?” He said, leaning closer. “Somewhere you might actually find interesting. There’s a lot of things I can do.”

There was something in the way he looked at me and I rolled my eyes. The moment I felt his hand on my waist, I immediately stood.

This guy’s disgusting. Ugh! My hands balled into fists as I fought the urge to punch him. I was tempted to kick him between his legs but I didn’t wanna make a scene. For Mina, and for my dress.

“C’mon Hayeon, this isn’t how you treat your best friend’s friend.”

“You’re not my friend, I don’t owe you anything.” I glared at him. “So for Pete’s sake don’t follow me,” I added with gritted teeth as I left him.

My god, I felt suffocated. I mean I love Mina but I couldn’t stand her other friends. Especially that guy. I couldn’t even fathom how she was even friends with that . Ugh, I groaned as I struggled my way out through the packed dance floor. The music was too loud, the noise was making me dizzy. The disco lights were blinding as well as if ready to summon my migraine.

I took a deep breath, desperate to fill my lungs with air but ended up coughing because of cigarette smoke. I seriously hated that smell, it activated my angry cells every time, automatically. I lifted my hands to my head as I headed to the restroom.

I was aware that I saw a few guys following me with a look as I got inside. I didn’t pay attention to them because it’d be tiring to glare at them one by one.

I checked my reflection in the mirror, my long hair was neatly tucked behind my ears. My lips were painted with a subtle shared of red. I must agree I looked different than I did on usual days. These heels made me 3 inches taller, standing at 168cm tonight. I looked fine outside, I thought. Deep inside, my head was a mess. Trying to push back thoughts about my family and work caused me to be anxious all the time.

Walking out of the bathroom, I refused to go back to our spot. There was no way I’d be sitting next to that ert. I walked towards the bartender’s counter instead. Leaning towards the counter, I thought of what to order but was distracted when I felt my phone vibrate on my hand. It was a message from my boss reminding me of the client presentation I had to do tomorrow. I could never rest, my brain could never. The truth was, this presentation was so important, I might actually get fired if I mess it up. This was so frustrating.

Sighing, I placed my phone on the counter. My brain was trying to decide what thoughts to entertain but dismissed it when the bartender handed me a drink.

“I didn’t order it,” I told him right away exasperatedly, pushing the drink back to him.

“Someone said you looked like you need a drink.” He replied, offering the drink to me.  

“Who?” I frowned.

He didn’t answer, he looked to his right instead. Following his gaze, I found a man in an all-black outfit who was seated three chairs away from where I was. He was alone, in fact, it was just the two of us on this side. I couldn’t see his face since it was a bit dim in this area and he was drinking, the bottle obstructing my view.

“Just tell him I don’t need it.” I refused. “I can afford to buy my own drink,” I told the bartender, sounding ungrateful.

“You know what, why don’t you tell him yourself.” He answered leaving me with the drink as a customer called him from the other side. “I’m a bit busy making a living here.”

Leaving me no choice, I took the drink in my hand and walked towards the man who bought it. I stood next to him but he didn’t acknowledge my presence. I raised an eyebrow only to dismiss my attitude when I happened to stare at his side profile. Not gonna lie, he looked fine from this view, actually more than fine. From where I stood, I could also smell his manly scent which instantly filled my senses. I watched how his Adam’s apple moved as he swallowed, for a moment I was mesmerized which my rational self immediately contradicted.

I shook my head sideways as I remembered my intention, my anger and frustrations getting the best of me.

“Excuse me,” I said, catching his attention right away. “I believe this belongs to you.” I went on, meeting his dark irises.

He stared at me, unblinking, unmoving. I even thought he’d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter