Chapter Three

Paradox
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He looked so beautiful that night, despite his tired eyes, despite the healing scar on his forehead. Eunwoo seemed as beautiful as death itself, an ephemeral soul ready to disintegrate. Aeri could breathe in his familiar scent of honey cakes. Rain dripped from his tousled hair.

    He let go of her and picked his umbrella, using it as a shield over their heads. She sensed the aching sorrow in his heart. 

    “Umbra’s unwell,” he said. He gazed into her eyes, intense and daring. But after a few blinks, he stared at the ground. “Just like Jaehyun.” 

“I’m so sorry to hear that, Eunwoo.” She reached to touch his jaw. His skin was smooth despite the soft bristles. “You’re going through a rough time, huh? Did you get Umbra to the vet?” 

    He nodded. 

“And?” 

    Eunwoo exhaled a dejected sigh. “The prospect’s not too good…” 

“Come with me for a second. I want to walk you home. Please, let me do that?” 

    They stared at one another again, ignoring the monotone and gray's of the world around them. The only colours, Aeri realised, were the flowers outside the doorsteps, and her pink dress. And ofcourse, Eunwoo’s soul. He beamed like broken light, a prism scattered into the seven colours of the rainbow. She vowed to mould him back into shape. 

    Mesmerised, he allowed her to take his hand, and lead him into the flowershop. She leaned over and removed the red salvia off his coat. “That doesn’t suit you. Did you take it from here?” 

    His ears glowed pink. But he did not answer her. 

Aeri reached over her bouquets and pulled out a golden yarrow and a pink camellia. She proceeded to pin it to his coat, brushing his collarbone. He reacted with a twitch of his lips, and she felt his heart throbbing under her palm. 

    Aeri pulled away, her hands clammy, and her stomach twisting into anxious knots. She placed her arms akimbo. “There. That’s much better, don’t you think?” 

    He inspected the new flowers. “I suppose. You’re the expert here.” He gave her a sad smile.

“And your umbrella is so dark.” She took the black umbrella and left it in her rack. Instead, she removed a bright, yellow one. “You should use this instead?” 

    Eunwoo tilted his head. “Really? Yellow?” 

She shrugged. “I’m not sure. Unless you want pink, instead?” 

    He focused on the ground again, but she noticed the hidden smile. Aeri bent over to catch the gleam in his eyes. She wiped the tear that slid down his cheek. He blinked, and another tear dropped, hanging on his chin. 

    She ended the moment with a soft kiss on his cheek.

“Will you let me walk you home, Eunwoo?” 

    “How could I ever say no?” he whispered. With shaking fingers, he cupped her face in his hands. “There’s so much that I want to tell you.” 

    “You do? Then tell me, Eunwoo. What is it that burdens you?” 

He bit his lower lip. “I’ll tell you one day, I promise.” 

    “I’ll wait for the day to come, with every atom of mine.” She chuckled and waved at the flowers. “They will wait too.”

With a gentle acknowledgment, her arm slipped through his and they walked back in the rain. A pressing throng moved in the streets. Aeri and Eunwoo took small steps at a time, each one more vigorous than the last. The rain drummed against their umbrella in a rhythmic fashion.

    “Jaehyun gave me Umbra for my birthday years ago,” said Eunwoo. “I guess it makes sense that Umbra’s sick. He’s so old, but I can’t help feel guilty about it. Maybe I neglected the signs when I was busy with Jaehyun.” 

    “You shouldn’t blame yourself for it,” she replied, giving his elbow a tug. “Things happen when we least expect it. But that doesn’t mean we’re responsible for it either. You know, this is very unbefitting of myself.” Aeri closed her eyes, and smelled the misty scent of rain. “But in a way I’m glad that Jaehyun’s suffering is coming to an end.” 

    Eunwoo gazed at her, eyes wide with shock. “I didn’t expect that from you.” 

She challenged him with a scowl. “Do you mean it’s heartless of me?” 

    “No, it’s just...I’ve known you for so long, and it’s like I’m still trying to figure you out.” 

His response made her giggle. “So now I'm a riddle you’re trying to solve?” 

    Eunwoo gulped. “But...what about Jaehyun? He doesn’t deserve this.” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter