Moving In

The House on the Corner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

In which MiSana moves.

 

 

“Don’t worry, your mamas look like they can handle themselves; the two of them are probably fine somewhere,” Sana tried to reassure her. “I have people looking for them as well so we should have good news soon.”

 

Being homeschooled and always having at least one of her parents hovering over her in the background, it meant that Mina had been sheltered for her entire life so far; but it also meant that she had an unconventional upbringing.

 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon taught her a wide range of subjects and also tended to discuss topics unsuitable for a child with her. Her mamas had broached the topic of death before, so she understood very well that after what had happened, there was a chance that her parents were not coming back.

 

“Until they come back, I’ll take care of you; I won’t let anything bad happen to you, I promise!”

 

Looking at Sana who was trying her best to comfort her though, Mina decided to have faith and not give up hope.

 

“Okay. I’ll be in your care.”

 

Mina knew many things.

 

She knew why the sky was blue; Nayeon had been insistent on starting her on science and Mina did not mind as she liked it, finding science interesting.

 

She also knew how to bake; having helped out Jeongyeon in the kitchen whenever Jeongyeon felt like baking.

 

“Baking, like cooking, is essentially an applied science!” Nayeon maintained from where she stood at the edge of the kitchen as she watched Jeongyeon clean up the mess that she had created.

 

“Stay with your science and leave the baking to me,” Jeongyeon sighed as she attacked a particularly stubborn stain with a scrub brush. “I just polished the floors this morning...”

 

Nayeon pouted and crossed her arms, turning to Mina who had been a witness to everything. “Minari, your Jeongyeon-mama is being mean!”

 

“But you’re bad at baking Nayeon-mama.” Mina giggled at Nayeon’s look of betrayal. She went up to her mother to give her a tight hug. “I’ll make sure to learn from Jeongyeon-mama so that I can bake for you next time!”

 

Yes, Mina knew many things.

 

She also knew that there was something different about Sana.

 

The older girl always made sure to be nothing but happy and cheery around her, but sometimes Mina would catch her with a melancholic look in her eyes, as if she was shouldering a heavy burden. It made Mina want to give her an extra tight hug since hugs seemed to cheer Sana up, and she always made sure to do so whenever she caught Sana with that look in her eyes.

 

Sana was different from those other kids her age that Mina would sometimes see when either Nayeon or Jeongyeon took her out around town. Mina had seen Sana together with a group of classmates before; despite being in the center of the conversation, Sana had never seemed so out of place at the same time.

 

Sana had always seemed different, somehow.

 

Especially with how a fire had mysteriously broken out the next day after her mamas had left, leaving both their houses burnt down and Sana suggested moving to a new area for a fresh start. Not to mention that fact that Sana started to really like tomato juice, drinking it at least once a day.

 

When Mina had asked to try the tomato juice as well, Sana had panicked and tried to change the subject, which was how Mina ended up in a mall getting the latest Animal Crossing for her new Nintendo Switch.

 

“Is there anything else that you like?” Sana asked as she watched Mina play with the various toys that were on display throughout the store. “Don’t be shy, I did promise that we’ll get everything that you wanted.”

 

“I don’t need so many toys.” Mina shook her head, putting the stuffed plushie back on the shelf and she continued to explore the store, her feet grinding to a sudden halt in front of the LEGO section.

 

Sensing something wrong, Sana placed a hand on Mina’s shoulder. “Are you okay?”

 

“I used to play these with Jeongyeon-mama…”

 

 

Past

 

“Now, the most important thing that you must remember is to never, ever put these in your mouth okay?” Jeongyeon said sternly as she waved a LEGO brick in front of Mina. “You might choke on them.”

 

“Okay!” Mina nodded eagerly, pressing herself closer as Jeongyeon taught her how to decipher the instruction leaflet and place the blocks together.

 

“So, if we follow the instructions this goes here… this belongs there… this is joined to this… There! Doesn’t it look just like the one in the picture?”

 

“Wow…” Mina admired the LEGO building in her hands. “That’s so cool! It was just a bunch of blocks but you made it to a building mama!”

 

“Why don’t you try to pi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter