The House on the Corner

The House on the Corner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Somewhere in Japan

 

“We’re home!”

 

Little Mina looked up from the piece of paper that she had been drawing on, a large gummy smile slowly forming on her face. “Mamas!”

 

“Nayeon-san,” The person sitting beside Mina greeted politely. “Jeongyeon-san.”

 

“Did you have fun with Sana today Minari?” Nayeon went over and examined her daughter’s work with an indulgent smile while Jeongyeon grumbled in a corner about “Daughters growing up too fast”.

 

“Un!” Mina nodded excitedly. “Satang is the best! She made Minari hot chocolate and sang songs and…”

 

By now, Jeongyeon felt like crying. “She used to run over to greet us…”

 

“Oi, I’m supposed to be the dramatic one in this relationship,” Nayeon nudged her wife with her elbow as Sana hid a smile. “You know they all have to grow up sometime.”

 

“But not this fast! Mina is only four!” Jeongyeon protested before pointing a finger at Sana accusingly. “Minatozaki Sana, you better take responsibility for what you’ve done and take good care of our Minari!”

 

“Jeongyeon-mama, no bullying Satang!”

 

“Aish, you’re the one who got Sana involved in the first place Jeongyeonnie…”

 

 

Flashback

 

“Excuse me; I’m sorry for entering into your yard without notice but I noticed that you were having some trouble…”

 

Jeongyeon turned and saw a girl in a school uniform standing there.

 

“Ah, Minatozaki-chan! It’s just…” Jeongyeon stared at the crying baby in her arms for a moment before shooting Sana a smile full of embarrassment. “Nabongs is currently out and I can’t make Minari here stop crying. I’ve already checked her diapers and I just fed her half an hour ago; I really have no idea why she’s crying.”

 

Sana had helped her new neighbors run a couple of errands when Jeongyeon was occupied with a pregnant Nayeon, but she generally tried to avoid them after the baby was born.

 

She did not really like babies, due to the amount of noise they tended to produce, and had only decided to come investigate after the din was getting too much for her delicate hearing.

 

This was the first time that she was meeting Mina up close and personal after her birth.

 

Sana stared intently at the wailing baby before freezing.

 

Oh.

 

Her eyes widened.

 

T-This baby…

 

She shakily held out her hands. “If you don’t mind Jeongyeon-san, please let me try.”

 

Frazzled nerves coupled with the urge to see her precious baby girl calm down, Jeongyeon spared no thought and quickly passed Mina over.

“There, there Mina-chan,” Sana gently rocked the baby in her arms and started to softly sing, causing Mina to quiet down and stare at Sana curiously.

 

“You have a good voice.” Jeongyeon praised when the song ended, holding her hands out to receive Mina back but the baby refused to leave Sana.

 

“She likes you.” Jeongyeon laughed and tapped her daughter on the cheek lovingly. “Naughty girl! You’re already choosing a stranger over your mother!”

 

In response, Mina giggled and the other two felt their hearts melt.

 

So cute!

 

Jeongyeon turned and unlocked the front door. “Why don’t you come in? Nayeon should be back shortly and I don’t think Minari is letting you go anytime soon.”

 

Mina had grabbed hold of a tiny fistful of Sana’s hair and stuffed it inside ; not minding the drool, Sana merely smiled and cooed at the baby in response.

 

Jeongyeon didn’t think it was appropriate to mention how Sana was seemed unable to tear her eyes away from Mina.

 

Must be because Mina is too cute... Jeongyeon thought smugly before mentally gasping in horror. If she’s anything like Nayeon I’ll have to start keeping a baseball bat at the door to chase away all the boys!

 

-Flashback End-

 

 

That was Sana’s first meeting with Mina.

 

After that day, Jeongyeon and Nayeon found themselves a reliable babysitter; a fact which they were extremely happy about since the two of them would be able to go on dates again without worrying too much about Mina.

 

Especially Jeongyeon, who was prone to going overboard in matters concerning Mina.

 

And as if her parents did not spoil her enough, Mina gained an additional ‘Satang’ who would obey her each and every whim.

 

 

“Satang, higher!” Mina exclaimed happily, feeling the wind rush past. “Up! Up!”

 

“Alright, that’s high enough.” Sana moved back and went to help Nayeon set the picnic table, although she kept a close eye on Mina.

 

“Be careful Minari!” Jeongyeon reminded from where she was cooking on the grill, being the only one who could be trusted not to burn or explode the food. “Swings are dangerous!”

 

“Your Jeongyeon-mama worries too much,” Nayeon reassured, sensing the slight change in her daughter’s mood; Mina was a sensible child who did not like to worry her parents even to the point of holding herself back. “Just be careful.”

 

For a while, there was only the sizzling of food being the grill until Sana heard a slight hitch in Mina’s breath.

 

She quickly turned, only to see the little girl flying off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter