baby yoda but she's 17

I heard a string snap

Her phone buzzes once more. Sooyoung is tempted to leave whatever new message she had received for the morning. It can wait, her closing eyelids can't. 

 

Her phone buzzes again. 

 

And again. 

 

She has a feeling she knows who it is. Reaching for her phone on the nightstand, she squints at the texts. 

 

Jungeun: hag

 

Jungeun: hag

 

Jungeun: listen up sweaty

 

Sooyoung would've put her phone away, just to spite Jungeun, but another message comes in. With content beyond insulting her age and her active sweat glands. 

 

Jungeun: you’re on babysitting duty for the next five days

 

Jungeun: Get your over to my place before 7 am, if u dont reply now, i will call u

 

Sooyoung: but i don’t have an

 

Jungeun: don’t even go there. 

 

Sooyoung: fine

 

----

 

“There’s food in the fridge, the wifi password is 122817.” Jungeun hands over a spare key which Sooyoung pockets immediately after her friend stares pointedly at her. The unspoken don’t lose it conveyed in a menacing fashion. 

 

Barely keeping up, watching Jungeun zip around is not doing her sleep-addled brain wonders. "So why am I here again?" 

 

"Because you should at least get to know the kid. On paper, you're apparently homeschooling her starting today so why not play the part." Throwing tupperware into her bag, wrangling her uniform through her arms, Jungeun is multitasking like she’s about to be fired. Alongside under-the-breath mutters of ‘I’m going to be late, I’m going to be late.’ 

 

Haseul has always told her stories of the police force being sticklers for punctuality. 

 

Clocking in a minute late warrants punishment from the police chief. And it’s not the fun kind. 

 

“She’s still in her room, the guest room. Hasn’t come out since yesterday when we came back from the station.” Buttoning up, Jungeun smooths her shirt and zips her bag close. Dashes to the door. 

 

“What’s her name?” Sooyoung barely spews out before Jungeun closes the door. 

 

“Yeojin. I’ll be back at nine, make sure she eats.” With that, Jungeun is gone. Leaving Sooyoung alone with a 17 year-old at seven in the morning. 

 

It is too early for this. 

 

----

 

Sunlight streams through the open blinds and Sooyoung can’t take it anymore. She opens her eyes.

 

Drool on a plush shiba inu cushion, her lips drier than her love life, she lifts her head. Scans her surroundings, blinking the sleep out of her eyes. Reflexively pats her hip to make sure her sword is there.  

 

The apartment is deathly silent (apart from the incessant ticking of the clock up on the wall, the long hand on the twelve). Nothing has moved from its place since she knocked herself out on Jungeun’s couch at 7:05. Sooyoung even checks the fridge. The food in question, leftover pancakes, are uneaten. 

 

Which means Yeojin hasn’t come out of her room yet.   

 

What is she supposed to do with the kid? Yeojin isn’t a cuddly baby. Yeojin is a sentient teenager (and that scares her). What do young adults even talk about? Interacting with normal human beings is already hard enough. 

 

Sooyoung should probably check on her to see if there are two beating hearts in the apartment. It’s the least she can do, the bare minimum.

 

Reluctantly peeling herself from the couch, shuffling to the guest room, she braces herself. And knocks. 

 

No response. 

 

Twisting the door knob, she hopes the girl isn’t dead. What a way to start her new so-called babysitting job. A deceased body. How quaint. 

 

The first thing she notices with the door ajar, is a girl who could pass for five years younger than she actually is. Blonde messy hair, strands sticking from odd angles. Sitting cross-legged on a messy bed, the blankets lying haphazardly. The whirring laptop on her lap, eyes trained on the screen. 

 

The second thing Sooyoung notices is that the girl has closed the lid of her laptop and has risen to her feet, standing on the bed. 

 

And the third detail is the flying pillow. 

 

Smacking her in the face. 

 

“Who are you?” Yeojin lifts the laptop in the air, holding it with one hand. Eyes narrowed. “Are you kidding me? A burglar?”

 

“I'm not–”

 

“Goddamn it. This is the second time this month the home I’m in gets ransacked. Can’t I catch a break?” For such a cute face, Yeojin’s deep voice takes Sooyoung aback.    

 

This little midget. With the voice of a two time WWE champion.  

 

It really is too early for this. 

 

“I’m not a burglar, Yeojin.”

 

“Then who are you, how do you know my name?” Yeojin points a finger at Sooyoung, her other hand waves the laptop menacingly. As if she was about to throw it at her. 

 

It’d be intimidating if the girl was taller. 

 

Yeojin stands almost an entire foot shorter.

 

Sooyoung would confess to a figurative judge that she’s about to pee if she was less than 155 cm tall. The worst Yeojin could do is chuck a laptop at her. 

 

Wait. Considering that she couldn't even dodge a pillow, the possibility of a flying laptop sounds substantially more terrifying. 

 

“I’m here, pretending to be your aunt. You would still be at the police station, rotting in a cell if it wasn’t for me. Well, partly because of me,” Sooyoung concedes. 

 

Yeojin’s features scrunch together. “You’re the one who’s supposed to be my fake guardian? You’re Ha Sooyoung?”   

 

Honest to god, Sooyoung is tempted to say ‘no,’ turn around, and walk straight out of Jungeun’s apartment. “Yes.” 

 

“Okay, I was just checking,” says Yeojin matter-of-factly. Lowering her incriminating, insulting finger, yet her eyes are still in slits. “I can never be too careful.”

 

That’s fair. Sooyoung sleeps with her sword by her side, to be easily armed within a moment’s notice. 

 

She’s not paranoid, it’s definitely not because she’s scared of demons going bump in the middle of the night.

 

----

 

Sooyoung finds herself sitting on the couch three hours later. She isn’t alone though. 

 

Yeojin occupies the spot beside her, their thighs practically touching. Sooyoung doesn’t mind how close Yeojin is sitting to her. 

 

It’s that Yeojin is the equivalent of a hawker, causing her ears to beg for a reprieve from the sheer volume of her voice. 

 

At least Yeojin isn’t insistently trying to scam her into buying a fake LV bag. 

 

“I know the deal is that you’re my guardian on paper until I’m 18. Then you can piss off with my money.” Yeojin opens her laptop, the fan whirring intensely. Likely on its last leg, the poor thing. 

 

“But you know what? I’m going to add another clause to our deal.” 

 

“Do you even know what a clause is?” Sooyoung isn’t looking down on her intentionally, it’s just an offhand comment. A curiosity. Most teenagers wouldn’t be familiar with contract lingo.

 

“Sis–, Miss–” Yeojin pauses, bunching her brows, “whatever you want to be called, a clause is a separate article of a contract, a treaty, a bill. In layman’s terms, because it seems like you need it,” Sooyoung glares at her, “it’s another section of a deal.” 

 

“I knew that.” 

 

“Of course you did, I just wanted to make sure you knew. Because listen up, Auntie Soo.” The laptop is whipped around so Sooyoung can see the screen. 

 

“I’m not going to pay you until you teach me how to kill demons.”

 

Although the enlarged image is blurry, Sooyoung can tell what it is. Who’re the young women posing neatly in two rows like it’s a graduation photo. 

 

With the (minor) detail of at least one sword hanging at everyone’s belt. 

 

Yeojin zooms in on a girl with long hair reaching her waist. Both hands doing the cursed V sign. 

 

“Is that you? Actually, I don’t even need to ask. That is you.” Yeojin looks down at the image. “Holy hell, what happened, what changed from then to now. Your eyebags got big, girl.”

 

Sooyoung ignores the eyebag comment. “Where did you get that.” This image was never uploaded online, it was kept within the Tsuguko’s group chat. 

 

“The OnlyDemonSlayers app. Where else?” 

 

“I appreciate you sharing this side of you with me, but I’m afraid a minor like you shouldn’t–” 

 

The girl’s eyes widen in pure unadulterated horror. Mouth gasping soundlessly for a good second. “I’m not into that. Whatever it is that you’re implying.” 

 

Opening a new tab, Yeojin logs onto her OnlyDemonSlayers account. Showing her a slew of pictures. “I follow foodislife123, this person has legit images of the Demon Slayer Corps. Even pictures of the former Hashiras, like blondie here.” 

 

It’s Jinsol in her wave-patterned hoodie, winking for the camera. The Demon Slayer Corps’ headquarters in the back. This photo was taken the day Jinsol was promoted to the position of Water Hashira. Sooyoung could visualize those who were cheering behind the camera. 

 

She was one of them after all. 

 

“So what I’m trying to say is that I know you were a high-ranked demon slayer and you can’t fake your way out of this one. You’ve got to train me if you want the money.”

 

----

 

“Why are you running?!” 

 

Sooyoung runs even faster despite the low probability of Yeojin catching up. Sooyoung could jog and Yeojin still wouldn’t be within two meters behind her. 

 

“Can’t we just talk about it?” yells Yeojin. The sound of pounding footsteps cease. Accompanied by harsh panting. 

 

Deeming it safe, Sooyoung slows to a stop, turning to look. “I’ve repeatedly made it clear I’m not doing this.” 

 

She can’t count how many times she refused the girl’s request. 

 

Hunched over with her hands on her knees, Yeojin seems to be struggling to catch her breath. Sweat rolling down her forehead, baby hairs curled. “I don’t understand why not.” The girl stands straight with her fists balled and looks her directly in the eye. “I’ll work hard, I’ll train until,” Yeojin huffs, “until my arms and legs break, and my muscles won’t move. I’ll work harder than anyone else!”

 

The ferocity, the spirit of the younger girl’s declaration almost convinces Sooyoung, nearly sways her. Yeojin has been following her since the afternoon and night has now fallen. Doggedly trying to persuade her to change her mind even after a harsh rejection. 

 

Yeojin’s determination reminds her too much of her past self.

 

She can’t let someone go down the same path.

 

Walking back towards Yeojin, she’s not sure where she’s going with this. The girl has definitely earned some degree of respect. Warranting her compassion. “Let’s get something to eat and we can talk more about this.”

 

Yeojin deserves to be let down as gently as possible.

 

----

 

“The egg sandwich is the best. I’ll buy it for you, my treat!” Said sandwich is placed on the counter, rung up by the cashier, then into Sooyoung’s hand. She’s dragged to the seating area.

 

Yeojin takes the seat beside hers. Looks at her expectantly, eyes shining. Waiting for her to unwrap it and take a bite. 

 

Sooyoung puts the sandwich on the table. Wonders how she should phrase her thoughts in the best way to avoid hurting the girl too much. She has never done this before, always choosing to stay on the sidelines. Offering silent support. 

 

As one of the eldest, Haseul was the one who comforted the younger Tsugukos. 

 

She may not be Haseul who has a way with words, who knows exactly what to say. Sooyoung has to at least try. Meeting the girl’s gaze, she softens her tone. “Yeojin.” 

 

“Yeah?”

 

Maybe she should start from the beginning. “Why do you want to be a demon slayer?”

 

The girl’s smile is wiped off.  

 

“I want to protect others. So there will be no more victims.” Solemn and unhesitating, a swift reply. Yeojin slightly frowns. Pausing for a moment. “A demon not only takes away life, it creates victims out of those left behind.”  

 

Sooyoung stays quiet. Giving her utmost attention, knowing how delicate of a subject this can be.  

 

“And I don’t want anyone to be left behind anymore.”

 

Yeojin is drawing from her own experience, that much is clear. “I’m not looking for revenge. My goal isn’t hunting down the demon who killed my parents.” 

 

It’s uncanny from the manner she approaches the topic, armed with resolute words, all prepared like she has thought about it every single day of her life. A guiding philosophy of sorts. 

 

In front of her, Sooyoung sees a younger version of herself. 

 

“Can you teach me?” Yeojin reaches for her hands and Sooyoung allows her to take them. “Please?” 

 

Yeojin’s hands are clammy. Nervous as expected. Sooyoung understands how badly the girl must want this. She has been there before, begging her sister to train her for similar reasons.

 

The truth is that there is no proper way to let the girl down. 

 

So she goes ahead, expecting to fumble everything. “Yeojin, it’s not that I don’t want to teach you. I do want to help you in any way I can.” 

 

“Then what is it?” 

 

“Demon slaying is illegal, there is no future for you as a demon slayer. We should let the police do their job.” Her hands are immediately released. 

 

Red hot anger colours Yeojin’s face.

 

“The police weren’t there when my parents died. They don’t protect anyone from demons. Their job is showing up late, long after the demons are gone.” 

 

Torn inside her mind, she fully agrees except she can picture Yeojin a few years down the line. Living in and out of the precinct as a regular. “I’m not excusing the police’s negligence, but I don’t think teaching you will lead to the results you want.”

 

“I guess we’re done here then.” Yeojin stands. Walking out of the convenience store. 

 

Sooyoung sits there for a second. 

 

Then it hits her. 

 

She runs out, looking both ways. Cursing. 

 

She can’t see Yeojin anywhere, the street is empty. All of the small shops are closed due to sundown, locking up to avoid attracting demons. The closest intersection is far away, Yeojin should be nearby. She can’t have gone far. 

 

Sooyoung stiffens. Breathing in, the smell of iron is faint. 

 

No. The scent is growing stronger, she sprints in its direction. Fearing what she would find at the end of the trail. 

 

Rushing down the street, she turns at the corner, continuing to follow the scent into a narrow alley, halting on the spot where it's the strongest.

 

She can smell blood. 

 

And a demon. 

 

Unsheathing her sword, gripping the hilt tightly, she aims the tip towards the ground. 

 

There. 

 

She stabs with all her might. 

 

A puddle of ink mixed with blood erupts from the ground, surrounding the tip of her blade. Followed by a guttural shriek of agony. Nonhuman in nature. 

 

Sooyoung twists her blade as the cries wail on. 

 

Leaping backwards when the demon finally emerges from the puddle. 

 

Draping violet hair, prominent veins on its forehead where three tiny horns sprout. Its teeth rattle. Chattering. Red eyes glower at her, it stands slightly hunched. 

 

"Another demon slayer," the demon growls. Before she can respond, the wall to her right bursts with ink. 

 

Her breath is caught in her windpipe. For the second time this week. And for the same damn reason. 

 

Jinsol stumbles out of the vortex, cradling an unconscious Yeojin. Clothes wet. Limbs collapsing, leaning against the wall as the ink disappears. 

 

Jinsol's head snaps towards her. "Sooyoung?" 

 

The demon's teeth rattle louder, reminding her this isn’t the place or time to settle their wrongs. As the demon is sinking back into its pool, Sooyoung moves. 

 

Blindingly fast. Decapitating the demon in one slash. 

 

When she looks back, Yeojin lies alone, resting against the wall. Jinsol is nowhere to be seen. She sighs. Ignoring the ache in her arms, she trods over. Picking up Yeojin in one swoop.  

 

----

 

Assuming her place on the couch, Sooyoung pretends to be scrolling through her phone. Timing her actions perfectly as the door opens and closes. 

 

“Hey, I’m back.” Jungeun slips off her shoes. “Where’s Yeojin?” 

 

“In her room. Sleeping.” Yeojin is actually unconscious; however, it’s nothing that a few hours wouldn’t fix. The girl will recover consciousness. Surely. 

 

Jungeun would kill her on the spot if she said otherwise.

 

“How did today go?” 

 

“Splendid. Absolutely wonderful. By the way, do you still have your sword?” She should cover her bases. Better safe than sorry before busting out a variation of the truth. (Jungeun’s swordsmanship is arguably more threatening than the pistol strapped to the woman’s thigh.) 

 

“That old piece of junk? Yeah, I still have it, it’s buried somewhere in my room. Why do you ask?”

 

“No reason. I’ll get going since you’re back.” Sooyoung can’t wait to leave. 

 

Before she can walk out the door, Jungeun grabs her collar. Dragging her to the dining table. Pulling out a chair and pushing her shoulders down. Sooyoung sadly complies. 

 

Jungeun sits across from her. “You’re acting suspicious.” 

 

Sooyoung chooses to be straightforward (to a degree). She was never quite good at lying. “Yeojin encountered a demon and she’s right now unconscious. And I think she was saved by Jinsol.” 

 

“The .”  





AN: swamp demon swamp demon + what is jinsol doing there?

I figured I should update at least one more time before the end of the year. Thanks for beta-reading, Clothes~.