Chapter 1

Here

 

 

 

“Are you crazy?!” Baekhyun gasps, covering his mouth with horrible surprise. His feet are already instinctively making their way into his best friend’s room, grabbing her by the arm before she tries to literally jump out of the window. She yelps and falls back against his feet, looking up with wide eyes. Baekhyun guesses she didn’t hear him scream for her to stop drop and roll because her earphones were in blasting music. Slowly, Seunghee pulls them out of her ear. 


“When’d you get home?” she raises a brow, reaching up and grabbing his arm, pulling herself up. Baekhyun shakes his head at her, crossing his arms.
 

“Does that matter right now? Why the hell were you on the window?” Seunghee looks at him, slow. She was basically the airhead in their friendship. It’s been like that since even before they met in elementary. Baekhyun noticed the strange loud girl in class magpies making funerals for dead bugs she found on the playground. Well truthfully, Baekhyun was pretty damn weird too. 

 

The girl makes an ‘o’ with in realization, walking to the window and pointing outside.

 

“I dropped my lighter.” She explains as Baekhyun walked over to see if it was true. Indeed, a lighter was laying on the cement outside, screaming ‘come use me to start a fire’. He turns back to her. 

 

“Dude, we live on the third floor.” He sighs with disbelief, rubbing his face. “Are you trying to break your neck?!” Seunghee lets out a laugh, putting her phone and earphones on her bed. 

 

“I know! I realized when you came in.” She shrugs nonchalantly. “Watch it as I go grab it. Just in case those kids over there pick it up.” Seunghee says as she hurried out of the apartment. Baekhyun frowns and he looks out the window, his eyes catching the children of the apartment playing in the dirt. He sighs with a small smile, leaning against the window sill. Seunghee was an idiot but she sure as hell had a heart of gold. 

 

-

-

 

“What an idiot.” Baekhyun scoffs, taking a sip out of his orange juice and smacking his lips as he sat outside at one of the benches with Chanyeol. Chanyeol was a friend in his major. He and Seunghee were going home together when they ran into the guy. The big eared boy was friendly and in seek of company so he offered to buy them drinks. They sat at the bench they were sitting at right now with the intentions of just relaxing and talking mess about some classes until Seunghees badminton friends came along. The girl hopped up mid-sentence, jumping on the backs of her friends who greeted her with the same excitement. Now, she was doing weird hand gestures and faces, resembling a crazy ape. Baekhyun guessed she was talking about the badminton team’s latest game which was only two nights ago. 

 

Chanyeol looks at him with a questioning face. “You two are literally the same person.” Offended, Baekhyun looks at him with wide eyes, mouth opening to speak. 

“Same person? Nah! She’s ing crazy. You know she was about to jump out the window yesterday? I’m way cooler than she is, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun rants, hands gesturing to act out his words. Chanyeol's eye twitches as he looked at him talk, glancing back at Seunghee who was also ranting in the same manner. 

 

“Uh…” Baekhyun side eyes Seunghee and he huffs. “It’s not a bad thing! You guys get along so well!” Baekhyun only grunts. It’s not that he was actually offended, he liked having other people seeing these special aspects of their friendship. It meant they had strong dynamics and he knew some people were even jealous of their strong bond. But he had a big ego, okay!? 

 

Seunghees friends leave after having to stop Seunghee from getting post-game rage, and she walks back over with a smile. She sits back down and takes a gulp out of her orange juice, smacking her lips like Baekhyun did earlier. 

 

“I didn’t know you played badminton, Seunghee.” Chanyeol says after a while of silence. “I thought you did taekwondo or something.” He murmurs. Seunghee looks at him, grinning.

 

“I used to! But badminton is so fun! It’s not as easy as it seems, you know.” Her hands shoot up to start gesturing again and Baekhyun pulls them down before she goes all crazy again. “You should join the team, Chanyeol! You’re very tall! You don’t even have to move around the court.” Seunghee nods encouragingly, eyes shining as she sits up with excitement. Chanyeol lets out a nervous laugh, afraid to let her down when she’s smiling like a psycho. 

 

“Sorry, I’m busy with classes.” Seunghee droops visibly, leaning back against the bench. 

 

“That’s too bad.” Chanyeol feels a bit guilty as she quieted. He quickly drags Baekhyun into the conversation. 

 

“How come Baekhyun doesn’t play? You guys do everything together.” He asks, looking at Baekhyun who was picking at his fingers. The boy looks up with a grimace and Seugnhee laughs at him, loud. So loud, Baekhyun has to clamp a hand over . She shoves it off and slaps his back. 

 

“Cause he !” She shouts, snickering. Baekhyun curses as everyone gave them weird looks, pinching the girls side so she’d shut the hell up. Chanyeol laughs too and he gives the girl a high five. 

 

Baekhyun had a strong reputation on campus as the cool eye candy who was also a social butterfly. Girls kissed the floor he walked on and dropped for him. He wasn’t the type to get all heated over a simple university reputation and personality that wasn’t actually him in real life. It was just kind of fun, and who would want the fun gone?

 

“You’ve had too much fun, we gotta go.” Baekhyun grunts, grabbing her hand and pulling her up. Seunghee whines and waves Chanyeol goodbye before snatching her hand away.

 

“You didn’t even say bye to Chanyeol.” She hisses, glaring up at him. Baekhyun grumbles looking back down at her. 

 

“I don’t care!”

 

“He bought you juice though—” Whatever happens happened so fast that Baekhyun wished he never left Chanyeol and had just let the two laugh at him. He feels Seunghees presence fall back and after spending years by her side, Baekhyun isn’t the one to catch her when she falls. 

 

The who walked into his best friend like a blind smoothly caught Seunghee, an arm wrapped around her waist. With his arm held out like an idiot, Baekhyun narrows his eyes at this stranger, slowly retracting them. After watching them look into each other's eyes as if they were the only ones in the world, Baekhyun grabs Seunghee by the hand and pulls her to her feet, out of the guy's arms. 

 

“Sorry I was distracted by my phone.” He apologizes, flashing a sickeningly handsome smile. Seunghee quickly shakes her head. 

 

“It’s fine!” Her voice cracks.

 

“Are you okay?” He asks, voice horribly melodious. 

 

“Yeah, I’m okay.” Seunghee murmurs, cheeks turning slightly pink. Baekhyun looks at her incredulously, mouth open. Since when did the fool blush?! 

 

“I gotta go, sorry again!” The boy grins before waving and walking off. Seunghee watches him leave and Baekhyun has to turn her around to snap her back to reality. Baekhyun doubts she’s thinking what he thinks she could be thinking (if that even makes sense) but a part of him does believe so. Seunghee has never shown even the little bit of interest in men. Well not a lot at least. There was one week in highschool when she was a bit infatuated with the school's “ugliest” kid, Noh Jungwoo. Other than that, Baekhyun only knows she's been hooking up once or twice a semester, which is normal. Doesn’t mean he supports it though! It’s weird for her to suddenly be interested now.

 

“Let’s go.” He murmurs. Seunghee snaps out of the strange trance she was put under, feet beginning to move.

 

-

-

 

Baekhyun grumbles under his breath as he sits on the floor of the apartment, a big frown on his face as he had his arms crossed. He was sitting in front of his laptop that was placed a little away from him, cuddling his pillow as he waited for Seughee to get home. It was Friday night, which was Best Friend Night as Seunghee called it. They either watched a movie or did something else together, like making cookies or something. Before leaving for classes this morning, they both agreed on movies, so where the hell is this girl? She said she got off work an hour ago and he’s been sitting there ever since.

 

He was about to barricade the door out of pettiness, when he realized something could have happened to her, freezing as he held his desk chair. What if she got kidnapped? Or she got lost? That’s not impossible. Baekhyun picks up his phone and calls her, mind racing with the impossible. Just then, the front door opens, hitting his desk chair that was neglected a foot away from the entrance. 

 

Baekhyun turns and watches as she stepped in, looking behind the door to see what she hit.

“What the?” she frowns.

 

“Where have you been?” Baekhyun roars, crossing his arms. Seunghee kicks her shoes off and closes the door, not forgetting to lock it after they forgot to do that once and someone came in only to take their textbooks. Students were pretty desperate for some textbooks since they were so expensive. 

 

“Guess what?” She turns around with a grin, hurrying inside and sliding onto the floor, sitting in front of him. Baekhyun shakes his head with narrowed eyes because he was supposed to be mad. 

 

“What?” 

 

“Remember that guy who bumped into me yesterday?” Baekhyun looks at her excited face and he somehow feels… bitter. 


“No.” Seunghee looks at him, letting out an annoyed sigh. 

 

“Well, I made a chicken delivery to him and his friends—”

 

“You went to his house?!” Baekhyun half shouts, half whimpers, biting a fist. Seunghee slaps his arm. 


“No! He was on campus.” Seunghee groans. “He apologized again and whatever, I went back to work and finished up. I was about to come home but then he came to the store!” 

 

“He followed you?!” Baekhyun stands up, ready to find the guy and beat him to a pulp. He hates to admit it but he was actually very protective of his best friend. Especially when she’s such an airhead. 

 

“No!” Seunghee groans again. “Let me talk. He brought me a cup of coffee as an apology because he felt that bad for some reason.” Baekhyun rubs his face in denial, falling back against his pillow.

 

“He’s hitting on you.” He grunts. Seunghee gasps, covering and looking a little too excited. 

 

“Really?” Baekhyun sits up and grabs her shoulders. “I think he’s cute!” Seunghee exclaims with a grin, eyes sparkly. Baekhyun feels as though he just got slapped in the face. 

 

“You?? You don’t think anything is cute!” Seunghee gasps, a bit offended. 

 

“Yeah, I do! I think your brother’s cute.” She adds, which was totally unnecessary. Baekhyun clutches his head with utter disbelief. How can indifferent Kim Seunghee suddenly think everything was cute? She’s never acted this way before so Baekhyun just assumed she'd be… well, single for life. He kind of hates it. But why?

 

“Hyung?” He scoffs. “You think my brother is cute??” That’s already weird as hell. Seunghee flinches as he spits, wiping his saliva off her face and giving him a look of disgust. “Kim Seunghee did he drug your coffee? You’re acting weird.” Baekhyun shakes his head, feeling her forehead. Seugnhee slaps his hand away. 

 

“No! But anyway, we kind of sat down at the store and talked for like, an hour. I invited him to the badminton game on Sunday and he said yes!” Seunghee squeals, acting like a girl. Maybe the concept of her being in love is so distracting only because she’s always so boyish and uninterested. Baekhyun rubs his face, unsure of what to say. He realizes this was his best friend. There’s no way he can deny her of seeing this guy. Sure he doesn’t think the guy is all that but Seunghee has never been so interested in a person. 

 

“...okay.” He murmurs. Seunghee blinks.

 

“What does that mean?” 

 

“Nothing, go shower so we can watch this movie!” Baekhyun grumbles, letting go of her shoulder. 

 

“O—oh yeah! Hold on. I brought home chicken, heat it up!” Seunghee shouts as she gets up and runs to the bathroom. 

 

___

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. Please leave a comment on anything, which can be about the chapter (what you liked and disliked) or even about your day, how are you feeling? There's a lot going on right now and a lot of people are stuck at home so I hope this story can be something for you to do.