Two Strangers

Finding Family

Neither girl spoke as they pulled their luggage into the small apartment, just slightly bigger than a Goshiwon, they had rented together. They had ran into each other while trying to get a residence, only to learn that there was only one vacancy left. They probably sensed something in each other that they could resonate with, because they suggested living together and got the apartment on the spot. They didn't even know each other, and now, they were going to live together, splitting rent between the both of them. It was ridiculous, they know that, but in their current situation and state, neither could be bothered to care. Without any furniture for them to sit on other than the bed, the two could only sit on the floor on opposite ends of the room. LE looked to the older girl sitting across the room from her. Solji's sobs were the only thing breaking the silence between them. She was inconsolable. LE only managed to get her name and age from the paperwork they were filling for the apartment. Feeling awkward, LE allowed her eyes to roam around the house, taking note of anything she could see.

"I hope you don't mind sleeping together on one bed." She commented, not expecting any reply from the crying girl. "Tomorrow, we can buy anything else we might need." She said. "And after we get the stuff tomorrow, we can start unpacking." Despite her attempts at distracting herself, tears welled up in LE's eyes as she tried not to listen to Solji's sobs. It made her recall her own situation and that was the last thing she wanted. Yet, she ended up giving in and breaking down as well eventually, burying her face into her knees. That day, their cries were the only thing which could be heard from the apartment.


LE woke up the next morning feeling drained and unwilling to move. They had eventually cried themselves to sleep last night, and now, her eyes were sore and she wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep. Still, she forced herself to sit up carefully, trying not to rouse the girl next to her. It was to no avail, as the older girl began to stir.

"Oh...are you awake? Do you want to eat something?" LE asked, her voice a hoarse whisper. A shake of the head was her only reply as the waterworks began anew. Solji just buried her face into the pillow, her voice somewhere between a whimper and a croak.

"I just want to sleep..." LE sighed.

"Look, I know it's hard, but let's do this together?" Solji just shook her head again. "Come on..." LE tried again as she shook her gently. When Solji gave no reply, LE could only sigh. "Alright. I'll make sure to get you some food anyway. It'll be on the kitchen counter if you change your mind. And I'll unpack too, so if you want, I can help you unpack as well." She said as she dragged herself out of bed. Honestly, she could understand how Solji felt. Inside, she was on the verge of breaking down too. It wasn't that she was trying to seem strong. Keeping herself busy was the only way for her to keep her mind off her current situation. While preparing to go out, she noticed that Solji was now sitting up in bed, watching her with a blank expression on her face. "Would you like to come with me? We need to buy food and a broom and mop too. The house needs to be cleaned. We could probably buy a shelf too, to put our things." Solji just nodded, as though she was in a daze, but just getting a response from the girl was enough for LE, who smiled to her. "Let's change and head out then."


Solji held onto her shirt the whole time as they walked.

"Solji-ssi." Solji froze as she looked to her. LE just reached out her hand. "Would you like to hold my hand instead? It's better than holding my shirt." Solji looked at her and then to her hand before nodding, letting go of her shirt and taking her hand instead. Satisfied, LE turned back to the front and continued walking, oblivious to the older girl's eyes being fixated on their joined hands. Tears welled up in Solji's eyes and she quickly wiped them away with her free hand, her other hand's grip on LE's hand unconsciously tightening. Somehow, holding hands and being led like this... It made her feel warm and fuzzy inside. And just for a while, the thought of crying didn't even cross Solji's mind.

 

That all came back, however, when they returned to an apartment that was not her home. Still, she blinked back tears as LE instantly began to unpack the groceries. Composing herself, she reached for the newly bought broom, making LE look to her curiously.

"We're going to do this together, right?" She managed a small smile, which LE returned with a smile of her own and a nod. While LE unpacked the groceries, Solji swept the floor. When LE was done, she began mopping the floor, while Solji started wiping down everything. LE soon joined her, wiping down every surface for the second time, getting rid of all the dust that had accumulated from being unused. Meanwhile, Solji went to cook. Once everything was clean, LE then moved on to unpacking their clothes into the closet, separating their clothes to the left and right sides of the closet, and the top and bottom of the drawers accordingly. Solji helped her with the remaining items after she was done cooking. One day, they would be ok again. Their progress would be slow, but they were going to do this together.