Lost & Found

Signals

The next day both girls wake up to follow a similar routine. The first thing Chaeyoung does is looks at her bedside table where Jennie’s viewer sat. Jennie looks at her bedside table to take her phone. Later both girls get out of bed to take a shower and proceed to walk out of their rooms. While one girl lovingly covers up their friend who’s sleeping on the coach, the other takes her breakfast and places it right under her nose.

 

One girl smiles as their friend wakes up grunting due to their hangover but accepts a much needed cup of coffee while the other wakes up with the feeling of nausea on as she hurriedly gets up and heads to the bathroom.

 

Another similar things between them was the feeling of hope they both woke up with it, the smile both girls were sporting since last night, so it was only logical both girls where found in their respective computers that morning.

 

“Alright, let see… Chaeyoung Park where are you?”

 

****

 

“Let’s see… Jennie Kim how can I find you?”

 

“Sup.” Lisa came out of her room freshened up. “Breakfast?”

 

“On the table.” Chaeyoung answers absentmindedly.

 

“Whatchu doin’ chip? Looking for a job?”

 

“Nope.”

 

Lisa frowned at the short answers her friend was giving her and walked to stand behind her chair in the desk, her hands busy with the cereal bowl. “Oh you are looking for the girl, Jennie. Your last hope.”

 

“Are you making fun of me?” Chaeyoung asked looking up at Lisa.

 

“No.” The girl told her, leaving her plate on the desk and grabbing a chair to sit besides Chaeyoung. “I’ll never make fun of love.”

 

“Can you picture her now? Like how would she look like today?”

 

Chaeyoung smiles and takes the viewers. “Of course I do, everyday.” She takes the viewer and looks through it the smile never leaving her face. “And she looks beautiful.”

 

***

 

“Park Chaeyoung Spinning tops.”

 

No results.

 

“Park Chaeyoung stadium.”

 

No results.

 

“Park Chaeyoung.”

 

Jennie had been at it for hours, looking for Chaeyoung through endless google searches to no avail. Eventually though she gets to a link from a freelancer illustrator. Roseanne Park, Front End Developer / Graphic Designer. The name threw Jennie off as her tiger tamer was called Chaeyoung. However when clicking the about me section brought her to a brief introduction of the designer.

 

  • Born and Raised in Australia

  • Moved to Korea for College

  • Has an english and a korean name

 

This is the point that got Jennie’s attention, because right there was the name she was looking for Chaeyoung Park. With a smile the brunette clicks the ‘contact me’ link to open up a new email. She bites her lip as she thinks how to start the conversation.

 

“Hello, I’m Jennie.”

 

Delete

 

“It’s me Jennie.”

 

Delete

 

“Hi,

 

It's Jennie. Did you see yourself last night on TV? Did you see us?

I got excited and I wanted to look for you.

 

Do you remember FC Seoul vs Melbourne, Gate J section 30?

How have you been? “

 

Send.

 

-----------------------------------

 

“Holy .”

 

“Wha... Holy .”

 

“This must be the biggest coincidence ever.”

 

Lisa’s eyes widened looking at her friends email inbox. “That is not a coincidence, that is sorcery.”

 

Chaeyoung’s smile get bigger. “That’s the best thing about coincidences. They are signals that make life interesting. And this right here.” She says pointing at her screen. “This is a signal.”

 

“Answer her.” Lisa gestured to her hand to the email. “But like maybe don’t tell her you have been thinking about her your whole life. Like don’t be cheesy.”

 

“So? What do I write then?”

 

Lisa thinks it over for a second while still eating her cereal. “Just be cool, like… like you are not totally surprised that she looked for you, like you were not waiting your entire life to find her again you know… cool.”

 

“Cool… right..”

 

‘ Hi Jennie

 

Of course I remember the game. My life is going great.’

 

“Stop laughing Lalisa.”

 

‘ And I guess you are already married and with kids *laughing emoji*’

 

******

 

From: Jennie Kim ([email protected])

To: Roseanne Park (RosePark@R&P.com)

Subject: RE RE: FC Seoul vs Melbourne Gate J Section 30

 

I’m glad you remembered.

And no, I’m not married and I don’t have kids..

 

I still live in Seoul though I’m currently in Busan due to some research I’m doing.

And I’m still a big soccer fan. And I still love to go the stadium as well.


 

******

 

“She’s in Busan.”

 

“So?”

 

“So? I just been fired I cannot spend money going to another city to find a girl who might as well be some fat in another city for ‘Love’.”

 

“Excuse me, what have you done with my best friend?” Lisa gasps. “You are Roseanne Park, believer in love, and this might be your only chance to find your lost hope, and if your destiny is to be with a fat then so be it.”

 

“Hey!”

 

“Also I still have my part time job at the train station I can get cheaper train tickets.”

 

“Lisa, no. This is silly, I’m staying right here.”

 

*****

 

“Hey.”

 

“Jennie, how are you?”

 

“Not well, and to be honest Kai I don’t think we are okay either.” She took a deep breath and closed her book as she continued. “If you think about it neither of us is completely sure of spending the rest of our lives together.”

 

“Jen…”

 

“Let’s just take some time and think things through.”

 

That was the first phone conversation she had that morning, her love life might be a bit of a mess at the moment. But that was the first time she felt good after making a choice when it came to her relationship. She just hope her next choice would be just as good.

 

“Jennie?”

 

“What do I do?”

 

“Well… generally you do stupid things why?”

 

“I’m gonna see her.”

 

“Um… what are we talking about? or rather who are we talking about.”

 

“Chaeyoung Park.”

 

“You found her? How? What did she say?”

 

“Internet. She said she remembered me and that she wants to see me?”

 

“Like when you go back to Seoul or?”

 

“No, here in Busan.”

 

“What? But like do you even know what she looks like? Have you asked for a photo? She could be a fat for all you know. It could be dangerous.”

 

“No,Jisoo. Dangerous… dangerous is not following your destiny.”

 

“Jendukie… I have a question. If you are still gonna do what you want and not listen to me why are you even calling me?”

 

“You know what, Choo? You are totally right. Bye.”

 

Well her second conversation went alright she thinks and now, now she needs to look for what to wear. Jennie was sure of this, all her life she has been babbling on and on about destiny and love and she’s sure the reason the universe showed her her favorite childhood memory the same she fights with her fiance was more than just a coincidence. She was sure of it.

 

-------------------------------------

 

Chaeyoung sat on a small cafe in Busan, she was nervously tapping her hand on the table top as Lisa threw her a thumbs up from a couple of tables down from hers. She was there as a backup just in case Jennie did turn out to be so fat .

 

The blonde kept wondering if this feeling was normal. It wasn’t date or was it? No they are just meeting each other to catch up that’s all, this was not a date. Nope.

 

The more time passed the more she got nervous, what was Jennie like? Was she still as pretty? Where her eyes still as dark and deep? Was her smile just a gummy? Did she keep the spinning top? Did she think about that day the same way Chaeyoung thinks about it every day?

 

She keeps fidgeting and looking around. At the first woman who comes in she sits up straighter but the woman heads towards another table making Chaeyoung deflate a little. The second person seemed to have a very rough life and although Chaeyoung wasn’t too much into looks she prayed that that woman was not her Jennie, when the woman once again headed to another table she released a breath in relief making Lisa chuckle at the action.

“Do you need a menu?”

 

Chaeyoung keeps looking at the door for a second before answering. “No, I’m waiting for someone thanks. But I could use some water.”

 

It was funny and almost romantic movie like but Chaeyoung swears her world stopped and everything got in slow motion by the next time someone walks through the door. The woman was the epitome of beauty. Her beauty radiated like that of a sun; you know you shouldn’t stare but sometimes you can’t turn away.

 

It has to be her, Chaeyoung thought. The same black hair, the same gummy smile which she was pretty sure was directed at her, the same dark pair of eyes which somehow had so much light in them. It had to be her.

 

Jennie from her side smiles the moment she walks into cafe, by a table in the middle of the small place sits a beautiful blonde, who’s profile looked stunning as she talked to the waiter.

It might seem silly but she’s sure there still that innocent and happy spark in her eyes she saw in them years ago.

 

Chaeyoung wastes no time in standing up to greet her.

 

“Is it you?” Jennie asks with a smile.

 

“Yes, Chaeyoung.” The blonde replies with a smile as well. Both girls lean in to greet each other making both of them almost kiss each on the lips. “Oh, sorry. I’m kinda nervous.”

 

“No, it’s okay. I’m kinda nervous too.” She admitted.

 

The blonde nods and the two girls stare at each other for a few seconds before Lisa signals to Chaeyoung to move making the blonde snap out of her stupor. “Uh, here take a seat.” She said pulling the chair for her.

 

“We shouldn’t be nervous right? I mean we kinda already know each other.” Jennie said after taking a seat.

 

“Well, yeah but...Thank you...you want something to drink?” She asked as the waiter approached with her water.

 

“Water is fine. Thanks.”

 

The waiter nodded and Chaeyoung pushed her glass of water towards Jennie as she kept talking. Now it might’ve been something simple, it was nothing major, no big gesture but Jennie couldn’t help the butterflies in her chest at the small gesture. Kai usually ordered first without taking her into account, not even waiting if his food was served first.

 

“As I was saying we met when were kids and through coincidence so…”

“I don’t believe in coincidences.” Jennie said with a smile. “And if we met when were kids even better, they said kids and drunk people always tell the truth.”

 

“Well let’s get drunk then.”

 

They did not get drunk but they did order a bottle of red wine, not before taking a shot of mezcal each. The conversation flew seamlessly, Chaeyoung talked about her life, about her dog, about her life in Australia. While Jennie talked about her job as a teacher in the science department, about her researched in Busan.

 

Jennie found herself laughing more than she ever had, and Chaeyoung finally felt like there was someone who appreciated her jokes and it was only luck that, that person had such a beautiful laugh. Each girls also found themselves getting lost in the other, and both felt like the rest of the world blurred out and the only thing that remained were them.

 

“Let me show you something.” The blonde said after swallowing a bite of the dessert they were sharing. She reached into the pocket of her jacket and pulled out an old pyramid shaped viewer she used as a keychain.

 

“No.” Jennie gasped taking it in to her hands. “You’ve kept it all this time?”

 

The blonde nods. “Mhmm, 17 years.”

 

Jennie nods and reaches into her own bag. “I have a little secret of my own as well.” She says showing Chaeyoung an old spinning top.

 

“Whoa!”

 

“I kept it too.”

 

“Take care of it. It’s magical.” The blonde smirks.

 

Jennie winks. “I know.”

 

And Chaeyoung swears her brain short circuits after seeing her wink.

 

Both girls want to continue their time together so Jennie offers to show Chaeyoung around for the evening. The weather was nice it was sunny but it wasn’t too hot, but it was cold either, it was just perfect to take a stroll around the city. Chaeyoung had to keep her hands in her pocket as to not reach out to hold Jennie’s hand. While the brunette had to hold on to the strap of her bag to not hold the blonde’s arms.

 

“It’s almost seven.” Jennie comments after checking her phone. “We’ve spent a lot of time together, hope you are not bored or anything… if… if you are you can leave, we can…”

 

“Where would I go?” The blonde interrupts her. And Jennie finds she doesn’t really mind, not when the blonde has been listening to her all day long, not when she’s looking at her with that cheeky smile. “If I’m already where I want to be.”

 

This made Jennie pause in her step and the butterflies in her chest to uproar again. “You mean that?”

 

“Mhhm... I mean it.” The blonde hesitated for a second but ultimately she decided to be honest, she had nothing left to lose. “I’ve kept this thing on my keys forever.” She says dangling the viewer she used as keychain. “Everyday before I leave the house I look through it. I haven’t stopped thinking about you since that day.”

 

Jennie smiles looking up at her. “I still say the same thing when people ask me about love.”

 

“What thing?”

 

“When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe with them. It’s like you would dare to feed a hungry tiger with your bare hand.”

 

“Oh wow, very cool quote from a renowned sociologist.”

 

“Are you making fun me?” She asked frowning.

 

“No!, no, I’m not.” SHe quickly clarifies. “On the contrary, it makes me happy you still think of love that way, very few people do this days.” The look in her eyes told Jennie that she was honest and its because of this that she finds the courage to say the next words.

 

“Can we do this again?” She asked her seriously, looking around the plaza to avoid looking into the blonde’s eyes in case she said no. “I mean would you be willing to go on a second date with this sociologist?”

 

The smile on Chaeyoung’s face get bigger, she swears she has never in her life smiled as much as she has throughout this date. So with care her hand reaches Jennie’s face to tuck a loose strand of her behind her ear. “We could see each other one time for every year we missed since we met.”

 

“Or once a week from now on.”

 

“Or everyday. 8 hours a day.”

 

“And work? Who would I give my teacher speeches to?”

 

“Me. I can be your student I have all the time in the world.” The blonde says extending her arms by her side making Jennie laugh.

 

“You know you never did answer my question…”

The blonde tilted her head to the side frowning. “What question?”

 

“Would you feed a hungry tiger for me?”

 

The blonde looked down and chuckled. “Well I…”

 

“. Sorry.” Jennie fumbles with her bag until she takes out her phone, she looks at it briefly and see’s it’s her mom.

 

“If you have to take it…”

 

“No, it’s okay.” She says letting it ring. “I can call back.”

 

“Okay… so as I was saying, I…”

 

“. Okay you know what it must be urgent I’m just gonna take it real quick.” Jennie said with regretful look, damn the universe for not letting her tiger tamer answer her question.

 

The blonde quickly does a ‘go ahead’ gesture with her hands waiving off the apologetic look Jennie was sending her way. Her look quickly change into one of worry as the look on Jennie’s face changed from one of annoyance to one of shock and grief?

 

“Hey, is everything okay?” She asked softly as she could see the eyes of the brunette getting glassy.

 

“No...my dad he’s uh… I have to go.” She tells her, putting her phone away and walking quickly to a taxi stand. She turns quickly to Chaeyoung before getting inside and briefly looks at her before giving a quick peck on the cheek. “Everything was perfect.” She tells her softly with a tiny smile. “I’ll call you, I promise.”

 

“Jennie…”