Synchronicity

Signals

A/N: I'm back with another story people! This is a smol introductory chapter for you all. Hope you like it.

Also as per usual I did not proof read this so sorry for any mistakes. I also do not know much about soccer in Korea so sorry about that too.

-------------------

Soulmates. It is said that a soulmate is someone who has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks. When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we are.

 

It is also said that out of ten thousand lifetimes we only meet our soulmates once. Imagine that one out or every ten thousand lifetimes, how absurd, how sad. If your partner is your soulmate, chances are he or she has been present in your past lives. Soulmates often choose to come back together during the same lifetime and scope each other out in the big world.

 

So if meeting your soulmate is a one in a lifetime opportunity what are the chances that someone can find heirs, lose them, find them again and then… lose them again. Well turns out it’s pretty possible. And it’s up to each person if they want to find them once again and make sure they stay.

 

“Look around here, Chaeyoung.” An 9 year old Chaeyoung was walking amidst a crowded vendor hall outside of Korea’s biggest stadium. Her dad was besides her guiding her with a hand on her shoulder. “The biggest events have been held here.” He said, listing some of them with his free hand. “World Cup, Champions League, Dream Concerts.”

 

“Wow.” She said unenthusiastically, because she really wasn’t interested. Her dad scuffed lightly and went ahead as Chaeyoung got distracted by one of the vendor. Her legs move of their own and walks towards the set up where she sees a spinning top for sale. “How much for this one?”

 

“Hey.”

 

She gets startled when her dad appears behind her. “Don’t get out of my sight, honey.”

 

“Sorry, dad, look spinning tops.” She says smiling and pointing at the toy. “Can I get another one?”

 

“No, come on, let’s get inside. I’ll buy you a new one later.”

 

“Daaad.”

 

Her dad sighs, knowing he’s incapable of saying no his daughter. “Fine, pick one.”

 

With a smile Chaeyoung turns back and carefully chooses the one that had picked up her eye before, it was a pink one. “I want this one.”

 

“How much is it?”

 

“510 wons.”

 

After paying for it her dad places his arm around his daughter’s shoulders so they could get inside, keeping her close to him as to not lose her in the crowd. “Now let’s go see Melbourne win.”

 

On the other side of that same vendor hall, an 11 year old Jennie and her dad walk hand in hand towards the stadium. The brunette hoping up and down due to her excitement.

 

“Are you excited, honey?” Her dad asks.

 

“Yes! I’m super excited!” She answers jumping in place, making her dad chuckle. Unlike the previous case, it is her dad who gets behind and Jennie makes an annoyed grunt when she looks back and sees her dad with a vendor.

 

“Dad, come on, it’s gonna start.”

 

“Now hold on just a minute, honey, look.” He says as he shows her a picture viewer. “They take you a picture so you can see it through it." It wasn’t like those big ones where you place a disk with several photos in it. This one was small and pyramid shapes and you could only see one picture. “Come on, baby girl, it’s something you’ll get to keep for your whole life.”

 

Sighing she nods. “Fine, but let’s hurry.”

 

And just like that both girls set out to get in line with their parents at the stadium entrance, Chaeyoung although not super interested in it looks around amazed by all the attendees wearing paint face, carrying big flags, signs. She looked around smiling and her eye get caught again, this time not by a what but a who.

 

Jennie hops in place in front of her dad, looking around as well. The sight of the adults also happily waiting in line, with their flags or the paint face brought a smile to Jennie’s face. She couldn’t wait to bring her own flag to the game when she grows up. Looking down she takes the viewer up to her eyes getting distracted for a second and not seeing another brunette looking at her from two line down.

 

Chaeyoung looks at her for a split second before she feels a small push behind her making her walk. Jennie turns to look at her then, but just like Chaeyoung before either girl can get their eyes to cross they are distracted by something else.

 

One pair heads down the hallway to the right, Chaeyoung is following her dad while she ties the rope around her spinning top, when they stop walking for a moment she throws it and watches is spin in place with a happy smile, until the toy falls down a set of stairs. The brunette gets down to get it not noticing how far down she had gotten and how far her father had walked from her while looking for their seats. It’s only when she grabs her toy that she looks up and realizes she has no idea where she is.

 

“Dad?”

 

The other pair head down the hallway to the left, Jennie is following her dad and when they stop on top of some stairs she takes the viewer to her eyes again. And it’s only when she feels the incoming crowd pushing her further down the hall that she realizes she has no idea where she is.

 

“Dad?”

 

While one girl obediently approached a guard to get help, the other remained in placed looking around for her dad, very firmly telling the guard approaching her that she needed no help and she could find her dad on her own. Two different personalities that end up sitting side by side while waiting for their respective parent to come get them from the booth.

 

“Hello!”

 

“Hi.”

 

Jennie greeted the other girl quickly and shortly while looking around to see if her dad is somewhere close.

 

“Are you lost too?” Chaeyoung ask trying to make conversation with the girl.

 

“Something like that.”

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“Jennie.”

 

“Do you like soccer?”

 

Jennie rolls her eyes before turning back to the girl who doesn’t seem to take the hint. “I love it.”

 

“I don’t. I mean I like it, but I prefer spinning tops, see.” The girl shows Jennie her brand new spinning top with a smile and Jennie can only look at it briefly with a fake little smile, still uninterested and praying for her dad to come fetch her soon so she could watch the game uninterrupted.

 

“Do you know there are also spinning tops world cups?”

 

“No.”

 

“Chaeyoung.” She says smiling at the girl. “My name I’m Chaeyoung.”

 

“Okay.” Jennie says,

 

“Yeah, so spinning tops world cup I see it on TV, It’s not like in stadiums or anything but still people from around the world participate and it’s the coolest thing ever!” The girl says, still excited.

 

Jennie figures since Chaeyoung wasn’t taking the hint she might as well talk to her, is not like she had a good vantage point to the game here plus other than the fact that the girl seemed to be way to happy she seemed pretty nice. “Who would be the Cha Bum-kun of spinning cups?” She asks.

 

Chaeyoung thinks about it for a moment before smiling. “Me!.” She exclaims. “I have a magic spinning top you see.”

 

“A magic one?”

 

“Yep.” She answered popping the ‘p’ at the end. “Every time I throw it something magical happens.”

 

“And what is the last magical thing that happened to you?”

 

“Well…” She pauses for a second looking down at the toy. “It got me here.”

 

Jennie smiles back at the girl. “Let’s see, throw it.”

 

Ah magic vs coincidence the same line that divides reality and fantasy. There is nothing magical about strange things happening. The world is a huge place with lots of events happening all the time, obviously some of them will be strange.This is what we call ‘synchronicity’, which is an uncanny coincidence, like an unplanned coming together of positive events. We all have them and at the time, they seem like a small miracle, just for us.

 

A magic believer might agree that when Chaeyoung threw her spinning top it was destiny that made Jennie’s team score at that exact moment. If they were not they might say it was a matter of coincidence that Chaeyoung threw her top at the same time as the player was kicking the ball not magic about it, it was simply a matter of timing.

 

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter who you are the synchronicity gives us a sense of hope, a sense that something bigger is at work out there than what we can see. We've all heard the expression, “There are no accidents. There’s a purpose for everything."

 

Well, in this story it just might be true.