Chapter 1.5: Of How They Met...

A Whiff of Strawberries and Coffee

It was one rainy morning. Many people did not want to leave the comfort of their houses and blankets. That was why cafés and the likes were unusually really quiet.

Dabin did not hate people. She was just fine around them but she was better without them so she always studied in a library café alone. She always studied there yet she had never been happier when she realized that she had almost the whole café for herself—she just had to share with that lady who was preparing for her civil service exam. She was more than pleased to have the place by herself, her braided black hair was a mess but she could care less about that. If only every day could rain like that, she would probably live in that café.

It was not until another hour when three more people had decided to join the two loners inside the cozy café. Two of which was a mushy teenage couple (Dabin had to cringe) who came in for a date and the other one was a tall—he was probably average but for the 160 cm Dabin, he was definitely tall—teenage guy who came by himself. The teenage guy might have been handsome, Dabin would probably know if she paid more attention to the newcomers. But, she definitely gave more attention to the comic book that she was reading (although she tried to convince herself that she should be studying instead; in her defense, she was only in her first year of high school). A few minutes later, she had already finished reading the second volume that was why albeit lazy, she had to stand up from her seat just to grab the next volume.

The shelves were not as tidy as they should be. Usually, such occurrence would not tick Dabin off but that was because she was usually not affected. That day, however, the comic book she wanted to read was placed at the topmost shelf as if teasing her average height. She could probably reach it through tiptoeing and stretching her arms as far as she could—or do something sensible like asking the staff for help. But Dabin had always been allergic to sensible or asking for help. In the end, she was left with only one option which was obviously to do everything by herself.

She jumped, she hopped, and she stretched. Her efforts paid off when she actually managed to grab the book that she wanted—except another book came tumbling down, hitting her face without a warning. She almost let out a yelp but she just ended up shutting her eyes tight.

There was a soft chuckle coming from behind her but she refused to even turn back. “Are you okay?” She heard the person ask.

“Y-yes,” Dabin replied before quickly turning to the person. Indeed, it was the handsome guy who just came—it was not even her first time seeing him but she just realized that he was, indeed, handsome. His gaze showed that he was amused but made no effort to ridicule the female. Nevertheless, with one rapid bow, she turned away as fast as she could and returned to her table.

 

Their first meeting was not very eventful. Instead, it really was their second meeting that convinced the female that the guy reminded her of a Gourmand scent. He was sweet, really, really sweet.

Although Dabin was a regular at the café, she had rarely met the boy and it was not like she was looking for him either. What actually changed their relationship for good was probably their second encounter, about two or three weeks after their first. It was also a normal day, just a bit sunnier and brighter than usual. Like what she would always do, she was seated on her favorite spot, reading a comic book while sipping on her strawberry milkshake. She was unbothered by the fact that people had started filling in the café, occupying all the empty seats. She would have remained unbothered still, if only she did not hear the voice of one of the staffs, speaking to someone in an apologetic manner.

“There are no more seats available, sir,” the woman spoke.

Dabin gulped, pretending to not have eavesdropped. She looked at her half-finished drink with a frown. That was already her second cup of milkshake and she had been in the café for at least two hours. About four people also had to leave the café because of the lack of available seats. Pretending to not hear anything was getting more and more difficult especially when she knew that she was occupying a seat for two.

Gathering her things, she was ready to leave. As she did so, she failed to notice the tall figure approaching her.

“Can I share the table with you?” Dabin was startled when someone spoke to her.

As if to confirm, Dabin looked up and saw a familiar guy smiling at her. His eyes were twinkling as he did so and he looked somehow genuine. If there was anything noticeable, it was his good looks—wide dark brown eyes, high nose, and thin lips, not to mention his smile.

“I’m l-leaving a-anyway,” Dabin managed to stutter out her reply, looking anywhere but at the boy.

“But you haven’t finished your drink yet, and your comic book,” the stranger pointed out, making the female look at him. “Are you sure that you want to leave now? I won’t even bother you.” He looked like he was nearly sulking, probably feeling bad that someone had to leave just so he could sit.

Dabin did not want that—she did not want others to feel bad because of her choices. Therefore, she once again settled down comfortably on her chair while the boy slid down on his seat and rested his cup of coffee on the table.

The male drank from his coffee with a satisfied smile on his face. “Coffee is delicious, don’t you think?” Of course, there was no response but a smile from the female. “Do you always come here?”

“Yes, my school is not too far from here.”

“Ahh… do you dorm around here? My school is also near here, I dorm inside the campus though.”

“I also dorm in my school.”

Somehow, they started talking. It was mostly the boy who was speaking but both of them got really comfortable with each other’s presence right away.

“My name is Na Jaemin, let’s get along well.”

Indeed, he was a Gourmand.