Chapter 5.5: Of a Special Gift to a Special Someone

A Whiff of Strawberries and Coffee

Renjun had no idea why Jaemin had decided to drag a half-asleep Jeno and why the then black-haired Jaemin invited himself and Jeno to Renjun’s house at seven in the morning, on a Saturday, that was.

“Go away, Jaemin,” Renjun sleepily muttered when the three of them had gathered on the couch inside the Chinese guy’s room. Both Jeno and Renjun were still not completely awake just yet and they would need a little more than four hours to actually wake up—or so they assumed.

“You have to help me,” Jaemin said. He was all worked up as he stood in front of the two sleepy guys on the leather couch. “Like really. There is this girl that I like—” He was not even able to finish talking because the two guys were already wide awake.

“Really?” Jeno and Renjun exclaimed, looking rather amused than surprised.

“I knew he’d somehow end up falling for someone—” Renjun cut himself off, perplexed. “Wait, who does he even like? Is there a charming girl in our class? Does he even talk to the girls in our class?”

“Beats me,” Jeno muttered, shrugging his shoulder. “This is my first time hearing about it too.”

“Argh, I’m so embarrassed.” Jaemin covered his red face with his palms, seeming really giddy. “She’s not from our school but she’s a good friend of mine. I mean, how can you not fall for her?” He uncovered his face as he started blabbing with a dreamy smile on his face. “Her eyes are like—wow! And her smile? It was dazzling.” He ruffled his own hair, his smile was getting bigger.

“He has gone insane.” Jeno looked at Jaemin as if the latter had grown two heads.

“Jaemin being like that is making me feel like throwing up.” Renjun shuddered.

Of course, the remarks of the two either went unnoticed or Jaemin just decided to brush them off. He straightened himself and clasped his hands together. “Anyway, I have to give her something. If I tell her that I like her, she might just run away. That’s why I have to slowly make my heart known to her. And such a goal could be accomplished by giving her gifts!”

“What do you plan on giving her then?” Jeno asked, looking skeptical.

“At first, I thought about expensive jewelries or bags. Then again, she did not seem to be the type to want those things. I cannot give her sweets since I give her sweets whenever I had time to make some.” Jaemin scratched his head as he thought.

“No wonder you always seem busy coming up with different desserts,” Jeno remarked. “How about a trip abroad? It will be nice to have a date in Singapore.”

Jaemin frowned. “That would be moving too fast. I have thought of something simple but I’m afraid if it would be too simple.”

“If she is a simple girl, I think a simple gift would suffice. And if you’re afraid to scare her away then yes, keeping it simple is the best choice,” Renjun stated. Pausing just to grin cheekily, looking proud of himself. “Wow, I sound like a master in dating.”

“Of course, you dated two girls in Kindergarten.” Jeno snorted.

Renjun glared at Jeno. “And you dated only one in Kindergarten. I’m still better when it comes to relationships and the likes.”

“Jaemin did not even date anyone!” Jeno exclaimed.

Jaemin rolled his eyes. “Guys, let’s stay focused. And how dare you try to point out that I haven’t dated anyone? You guys dated kids back in Kindergarten; that barely counts as being in a relationship.” He made a face at them and scrunched his nose. “Going back to the topic, I am thinking of making a keychain for her. Something personalized.”

“Go on.” Renjun looked interested.

“It will be a pair: one strawberry milk tea and the other is an iced coffee. She loves strawberry milkshake but to be honest, she loves anything with strawberry.” Jaemin paused. “You, Renjun, would help me with the design. They will be almost identical—same glass designs and all with an identical happy face. What makes them different of course is the drinks themselves. The strawberry one would obviously be pink and black pearls would be adorning the bottom of the drink. The coffee one would be brown and would have ice cubes instead of pearls.”

“Wow, you actually thought about it.” Jeno looked amazed.

“Let’s try to sketch it. Wait here,” Renjun said, standing up to grab his sketchpad and a pen that was placed on one of his drawers. He headed back to the couch immediately and started to sketch.

Jaemin snapped his fingers. “And this is what would make it more unique: I’ll create a scent of coffee and strawberry and mix them together. Both of the keychain would smell that way so that it would be calming to anyone who smells them. I’ll make sure that the scent would last for years.”

“You’ll even come up with a scent?” Jeno gaped. He and Renjun looked at each other, taken aback. They knew how it was not easy to create a scent. That was not a joke and required a lot of effort especially if one would attempt to make the scent last longer than normal. A lot of time, effort and possibly money would need to accomplish it. “You… you really like her, huh?”

Jaemin chuckled, his smile was so wide on his face. His features softened at the thought of the girl. “I don’t know if this is something serious or something that would pass but really, I want to cherish it. As cheesy as it sounds, I want to do everything I can do for her and her smile. Somehow, she’s worth it.”

Renjun and Jeno gave each other a knowing glance. Renjun knew that even if Jaemin was still not sure if it was a puppy love or something more, the latter’s happiness had eventually became essential to the female he liked. If it was not something serious, what was? If what Jaemin felt was something that would eventually pass after a while, then, what else would last?

Renjun knew, Jaemin was already completely whipped and that guy was not even complaining about it.