Chapter 1

I'll Meet You in Another Life
Please log in to read the full chapter

Word count: 3k

REWRITTEN

The sun peers through the window and into the room, casting sunlight on the floor and the foot of the bed. The baby blue curtain sway with the morning wind that comes in from the slightly open window. 

The birds are chirping outside as cars pass by every minute. 

Her alarm has snoozed itself minutes ago, but Sejeong is still deep in her dream.

Seokjin waits for half a minute by the door, just staring at his sister's unmoving body. When there is no movement from the girl, he moves to the side of her bed and leans his head closer to hers. 

"Are you going to wake up or am I gonna have to carry you to the bathroom?" 

His tickling breath on her ear made her stir, but she has yet to open her eyes. 

"Sejeong-ah," The oldest sibling gently shakes the girl by her shoulder. "You're gonna be late for school. Mom cooked omelette for you too." 

The girl slowly comes out of her sleep, blinking her heavy eyes. She makes a little whining sound before turning around to see her sweet brother with a smile. "Good morning, Jin-oppa." 

The other greets her back with his own smile, heart warm at how adorable his precious sister is.

"Come on. Get up. I have to wake up Taehyung too." 

She stretches underneath her sunflower-decorated blanket, extending her numb arms and legs from her body. She nods at him and Seokjin takes it as a cue to leave the room. She continues to blink the sleep off of her eyes and stares at the ceiling where her glow-in-the-dark stars greet her. 

It has been there since she was eight, when she was too short to reach the ceiling on her own despite stepping on the tallest chair she can get. She had cried to her brothers that she could not reach the ceiling then and got irrationally mad for her two oldest brothers for being taller than her. She just wanted to put up her mother's present for her.

Jin was thirteen and Namjoon was twelve then, both still just barely starting puberty. Still they were already taller than her. They stare at the sobbing little girl and try to cheer her up, not knowing what to do until Namjoon reaches out a hand and lift Sejeong up in his arms. 

"There. So you can put it up yourself and tell Mom," her second oldest brother has told her with a smile. Sejeong brightens up and eagerly sticks the star she was holding in her hand. 

Taehyung, nine at the time, stands by the door and awes in fascination while looking at the stars. "Hyung! I wanna put them up too!" He runs toward Seokjin and almost knock both of them down. 

For the rest of the day, the four of them help sticking the stars, all in different sizes, on the ceiling above the bed with the two oldest carrying the two up. 

Sejeong thinks it's one of her happiest moments in life.

"Ya, Tae! Stop kicking!" She hears Seokjin yell from the other room and that is enough for her to wake up from her daydream and let out a merry laugh. 

 

 

She's fought Taehyung for the shower to which the older one won. Why wouldn't he when he's almost twice her size? To this day, she's still bitter at how tall her brothers have gotten. Namjoon and Seokjin has reached the six feet mark and Taehyung is an inch shy but he's only a senior high school and their mother said he's still growing. 

Sejeong is only five foot four, and her family likes to reassure her that it's only because she got her mother's genes. "But Mom is five six!" 

She hears her mother call from the kitchen and she buttons up her school uniform and walks out of her room. Her whole family is already around the table, her mother sitting next to Namjoon and their father. Seokjin, the filial child he is, is washing some dishes, already done with his breakfast.

Her mother frowns at her appearance but Sejeong pretends she can't see it. "Good morning!" 

She plants a kiss on her father's cheek then onto her mother's cheek. "Brush your hair! It's messy!" her mother scolds instead of greeting her back. Again, she ignores her and takes the empty seat next to Taehyung who is happily digging in his plate.

She reaches out to get a fork and starts to dig in her own omelet. It has ketchup on it shaped like a heart and she knows it's Seokjin's doing. The oldest pamper her a little too much. In fact, her brothers pamper her a lot. After all, she is the youngest and only daughter in the family. It's a blessing and a curse, Sejeong always argues.

Her mom stands up, clicking her tongue, grabbing a hair brush on her way and setting herself behind the seated girl. She starts brushing her hair a little too forcefully that her daughter is screaming in pain. "Mom!"

"If you would just tidy up your hair then I wouldn't have to do this," her mom says to which Sejeong just pouts quietly. 

Her mother has put her hair in a neat ponytail. Sejeong knows it's going to get mesy at the end of the day anyway. 

"Come on. Finish your breakfast or we're gonna be late," her father speaks while he finishes his own. He stands up, picks up his empty plate and passes it to Seokjin. 

"Thank you." He says to the oldest with a pat on his shoulder. Seokjin smiles at his father and watch him move to the couch to get a little more shut eye while waiting for the two youngest.

"What time is your class Namjoon," Seokjin asks his brother who has been quiet the whole time. 

"Not until 10," he answers, shoving a big spoonful of rice in his mouth. 

"Mine's at nine thitry but I can give you a ride?" Seokjin offers. 

"Nah, it's cool. Jungseok's already picking me and Hoseok up." 

The oldest nods and looks at his other two siblings that has started bickering again. 

"Tae-oppa, I can totally beat you in volleyball," Sejeong challenges to which the older boy laughs, placing his arm around his sister. 

"My dear Sejeong," he says. "Did you know that the soccer team was trying to recruit me? I had to decline because I was already so busy." 

"Lies," she counters, sticking her tongue out. 

"Fine. How about a game during lunch. I'll bring my crew, you bring yours." 

"Fine. Winner gets to use the bathroom first for the entire week?"

"Deal." They shake their hands to seal the deal. 

Behind them is their father who looks at the clock and stands up. "Alright kids. We gotta go." 

"Ah! I'm not done yet!" Sejeong screams and hurriedly eats her food. Her mother yells at her for doing so and getting crumbs on her uniform. Taehyung, already done with his plate, steals the tiny piece of sausage left on Sejeong's and run behind his father before Sejeong can say anything. Sejeong groans with full and chugs her water down before getting up and mumbling "bye' as she half-hugs her mother first, Seokjin next and then Namjoon. 

Taehyung and their dad are already outside the doo

Please log in to read the full chapter