END

OBLIVIOUS GIRL, MISCHIEVOUS GIRL!

Entering the kitchen from the bedroom, I saw her! "W-w-who are you," I stammered. "What are you doing here? How did you get in?"

She looked familiar, but I couldn't recall her. She was very pretty. Dark brown eyes, with short blonde hair, slim, about five-four, she made an imposing figure. She was wearing a tan knit top over a bright red skirt. The magnificent odour of bacon and eggs cooking on the range filled the room.

"I could ask you the same question, Ms Moon," she said. "What are you doing in my house?"

She knows my name? "I live here, Ms…" but I don’t know her name. “This is my house! Do I know you?"

"I don't know if you know me," she said, "but, I know you. You're Moon Byulyi. You live next door. My name is Kim Yongsun, I live here. Look around. Do you see anything you recognize?"

I did look. She had a point! The large clock on the wall was not one I was familiar with. The breakfast corner looked different. The small items on the counter were not the ones I had placed there. "Oh, my God," I murmured, "You're right! How did I get here?"

"It's obvious, Ms Moon," Yongsun said. "You've just moved to this area, so you might not know. Most of the houses in this area, look exactly the same. You came home late, parked in the driveway, and entered my house! You walked into the bedroom and went immediately to sleep. The houses are the same inside also! Anyone could have made the same mistake!"

"How did I get in?" I said. "Wasn't your door locked?"

"I guess not," she said. "I had gone to keep my sister company for the night, and must have accidently left my house unlocked!"

What she said made sense. I was thinking about her words, when she suddenly smiled and said, "Look at you! You're wearing my bathrobe!"

She was right! As she suggested, I was tired when I entered the house, went directly to the bedroom, undressed and fell asleep within minutes. In the morning, I couldn't find my usual bathrobe, so put on the first cloth I could find. This was the bathrobe lying on a chair near the closet door. I'm not sharp, so didn't see any reason why this difference in bathrobes should have given me a clue as to the horrible mistake I had made.

"Ms Kim," I uttered shuddering. "You must have unexpectedly found me lying in your bed. Weren't you scared? Why didn't you call the police? Where did you sleep?"

"Enough with the questions!" she exclaimed. "Remember, I said I knew you? You're not a scary person! I got home this morning to get ready for work. You were sleeping so soundly and so peacefully, I didn't have the heart to waken you. I dressed in my bedroom as usual without making a single sound to disturb you. Then, came into the kitchen to make breakfast for you and me, coffee, eggs, bacon toast. I hope you like my cooking!"

Overwhelmed with what had happened, I couldn't think of anything to say except, "You can call me Byul. You said your name is Yongsun. May I call you, Yongsun?"

"Why not?" she responded. "We've already gotten to know each other rather well! I don't imagine a lot of stranger have seen you sleeping soundly in bed so soon after you met them?" She gave me a smile that lit up the whole room!

I couldn't tell you what breakfast was like. It didn't matter! I found talking to Yongsun much more engrossing. She was twenty-three she told me, an employee of Solar Investing. She was a customer representative and highly skilled in advising clients on matters involving long-term stock investing. She had purchased a home on Gangnam Street some years ago, the same street I now lived on. She lived at 2210 while my address was right next door at 2212.

Yongsun had surprised me when she said she knew a great deal about me. She said she had been present when I moved into my home. She added we had chatted for a few minutes about the area, its conveniences and drawbacks. I had no memory of that conversation. She said some of my friends had expressed the notion that I might be afflicted with a trait called being oblivious. Yes, it's true. I've known it all my life. But my problem applied only to what didn't interest me! How could it possibly have not notice Yongsun? I was already deeply in love with her! I didn't understand why it hadn't been love at first sight!

We finished breakfast. "We should think about getting to work," she said.

"Oh, yes!" I agreed. "My things is in your bedroom. I need to go get it."

"And you're still in my bathrobe!" she reminded me. "It's OK to finish dressing there," she said.

"Darn," I said, "I'll need to wear the same clothing I had on yesterday."

"No problem," she said. "It's late. Get dressed. I know you are the CEO at Moon Importing. Go to work. While you're on your way, I'll hop over to your house and find something proper for you to change into and bring it to your workplace. Just lend me your house keys!"

"My house is a mess!" I stated strongly. "I can't accept your offer!"

"Hand me your keys," she insisted. "It's not like I've never seen a messy house before!"

I continued objecting, but she was stubborn. I hurried to the bedroom and put on the clothes I had worn the day before. Ten minutes later I was ready to leave the house. Yongsun's car was parked on the street at the end of the driveway. Soon, I was in my car headed for my office. Arriving there, I waited at the entrance for Yongsun to arrive.

It was only a few minutes later that Yongsun's car arrived, stopped, and parked behind my car. She exited, hurriedly to where I was waiting and gave me a yellow shopping bag with clothing inside. She also handed me a wooden hanger with a jacket on it of a different style from the one I was wearing. Saying she was late for work, she jogged to her car and disappeared from view within seconds.

In the office's restroom, I exchanged fresh clothes. I knew I must have flushed a bright red when I pulled on one of the more personal items in the bag.

In my office, after one meeting to another, the hours of the morning and afternoon crawled slowly past. I was busy, of course, as usual, but every so often, I would lean back in my chair and turn my thoughts to Yongsun. She had so suddenly come into my life, I was having trouble processing the events of the day. Her words kept coming back to me. She told me she had known a great deal about me. She had also informed me that my friends thought I was oblivious. How did these remarks connect with what had happened this morning? I knew I had fallen in love with Yongsun, but could this be just a crush?

In the afternoon, she phoned me. "Byul-ah," she said, "I've had my mind on you all day. I just had to talk to you! It's a little noisy in here. I have headphones on."

"I've been thinking about you, too, Yongsun," I said. "Was it fate that brought us together this morning? We were always meant for each other!"

"Byul-ah," she said in a very low voice, "It wasn't fate! It was…I have a confession to make! I've been known to be mischievous in the past. I love having fun! But I'm ashamed of what I did to you during the night and this morning before we came to work. I need to tell you the truth, and don't know if you'll forgive me! If you don't, I'll understand!"

"Yongsun-ah," I responded, "I know this is sudden, but I need to tell you. I have fallen in love with you! Whatever you tell me will make no difference. There will be nothing to forgive!"

"Byul-ah," she said, "I lied to you! Everything that happened this morning was a fake, an act I make up! You were not in my house this morning! I was in yours! The breakfast we had was in your breakfast corner, not mine! You slept in your own bed overnight, not mine! There! I needed to say this fast, otherwise, I wouldn't have had the courage to do it at all!"

"What you are telling me is impossible," I said, "you proved it to me!"

"Oh, Byulyi, it is so true about you being oblivious. I was in your house before you came home last night! I changed a few things to make your house look different. You believed everything I said. I'm so ashamed!"

"How could you have gotten into my house? Wasn't the door locked?"

"Your spare key was under the mat at the front door! How could you be so careless? That is the first place a burglar will look if he wants to rob you! I've been observing you since you moved into your home. I learned about your comings and goings. Your habits. The times you get home. And, I had an instant affection for you! I couldn't get you out of my mind, but you never seemed to notice me! I asked all around about you. They said they thought you were a nice girl but unobservant, like I've said, oblivious! That needs to be fixed! I love you and want to be the one to do it!"

"So, you're telling me that nothing, seeming to happen, overnight and this morning actually did happen?"

"Yes…"

"I parked in my own driveway last night?"

"Yes…"

"You were not with your sister last night?"

"Byulyi, my sister was not even in Korea right now!"

"I went to sleep in my own bed?"

"Yes! I sat at the edge of your bed for a long time watching as you slept. You were sleeping soundly, but I wished you'd awaken and see me! I wanted to kiss you so bad! I needed to force myself out of your bedroom!"

"So you weren't surprised this morning when I got up and came into the kitchen!"

"Not at all! I have to tell you, you looked so cute in my bathrobe!"

"How did your bathrobe get into my bedroom?

"I had no choice. I couldn't find that you had one, so I left mine!”

"You had been very naughty, Yong!"

"I told you I was mischievous. It's my nature!"

"Makes no difference," I said. "I'm so glad you told me all this. Let's continue this conversation after work!"

"Yes, let's!"

"Should I park in my driveway, or yours?"

"Mine. I've seen your house, now I need to show you mine!”

“Yongsun? You said they all look the same!"

"Yes I did," she said, "but, there is something extra in my house that you need to know about!"

"What's that?"

"My darling, there's a whole lot of love for you there!"