two.

cupid's trial.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2 years ago.

 

Yewon was trying. 

 

She was trying really hard to impress everyone in the club. 

 

Having all eyes on her, she was nervous but she wasn't going to make a fool out of herself. She had to prove she was worthy of being in the same club as them. 

 

With her right arm pulled back until it was parallel to the ground and the back of her thumb tucked under her jawline, she closed her left eye and aimed for the centre before releasing the string.

 

An 8.

 

It wasn't that bad but Yewon knew she could've done better. Releasing a sigh, she was afraid to turn around and look at the others' reactions— the silence too deafening for her liking. There were barely any whistles or cheers for her when her arrow landed on the red part of the target.

 

“Try again.”

 

Yewon tensed up a little, surprised by the sudden voice.

 

“Relax, I'm here to help you.” The voice was soothing that Yewon only nodded her head, unsure why she couldn't find her voice to speak. “Nock another arrow.”

 

The young archer did as instructed. If she was nervous earlier, she was feeling extremely nervous currently. This was the first time that the top archer, Jung Yerin, was actually helping her in archery. All the while, she had always been training on her own, too shy to ask anyone for help since she joined the club late and everyone else had friends of their own already. Yewon was considered a lone wolf but she didn't mind that. There was one, though, that had been trying to talk to her whenever she could. Jung Eunbi, or better known as Eunha in the club, is a chatterbox and sometimes, Yewon didn't know how to respond to her with words so she would end up only humming to whatever she said. She appreciated Eunha's effort, however, she still wasn't quite comfortable with the girl around. She needed some time before she could call Eunha a friend.

 

“Now pull your right arm back.”

 

Again, Yewon followed.

 

“You should relax your shoulder a little… okay, perfect. Now, make sure the string touches the tip of your nose and the corner of your mouth and don't aim directly at the middle of the target. That won't guarantee that your arrow will land there so aim slightly away from the middle depending on whether there's wind and which side it's coming from.”

 

At that moment, it felt like there were only the two of them on the field and no one else. The nervousness Yewon was feeling earlier was gone and replaced by calmness. 

 

“Once you're ready, you can release. Remember not to drop your arms and bow until the arrow lands on the target.”

 

Yewon released the string five seconds after Yerin ended her sentence, her posture remained. Hearing a soft thud, she slowly lowered her bow and frowned when she saw her arrow on the outer yellow circle.

 

“A nine,” Yerin said, squeezing Yewon's arm lightly. “That's not bad at all. You're doing really good so far. Let's try again, okay?”

 

Somehow, Yewon's heart felt warm from the compliment. She couldn't remember when was the last time someone gave her one. Getting to hear it from the club's top archer made her confidence soar a little.

 

Deep inside, Yewon hoped this wasn't the one and only time Yerin would train her.


 

╾╼


 

“Yewoooon.”

 

“No," Yewon rejected firmly. “I'm not going to help you fletch your arrows just so you can watch Yerin practice, Eunha.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter