Blue fire

Try Harder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Alright, i think i need to put warning here. The following oneshot is angst. So if you like angsty storyline go ahead or you can skip if you don't. This will be the first and the last time i'm writing angst XD

Enjoy :")

 

---

Joohyun put her last book into the cardboard moving box. She checked and scanned back her room to make sure she had all of her belongings already packed and ready for the move.

The room was mostly empty now with only few boxes left to be put into the moving truck.

This year, Joohyun started her new year with moving to another place, since her step dad got new job in the area, as an IT consultant for a big company in the neighboring city.

Actually, they planned to move to the larger city where her step dad will actually working in, but her mom wanted to be in the much smaller town so yeah, they finally move to the much smaller town like her mom wanted.

“Are you done packing, sweety?” her mom asked as she stepped into the room.

“Yeah, this should be everything,” Joohyun sighed, picking up the box containing her books.

"Could you grab a box for me please? I know we're in hurry and I don't want to take too much longer."

"That eager to leave? I figured you would be disappointed to be leaving the city you grew up in, during your senior year." Her mom said and picked up one of the boxes.

Of course, Joohyun would miss the house that she grew up in, but she didn't really have many friends she would miss. She had a lot of acquaintances but not real friends. You could say she prefers to be a loner at school because a certain event in the past.

“Alright, let’s take this to the truck.”

___

After few hours and many flights later, Joohyun had finally arrived in front of her new house.

The house was welcoming from the open door to the wide hallway. It had tall ceilings but seemed cold and drafty.

The floor was an old-fashioned parquet with a blend of deep homely browns and the walls were the greens of summer gardens meeting a bold white baseboard.

There was a big tree outside her bedroom window, which add to the loveliness of the surrounding.

Not only it provides beauty, but also its practical function to improve the appearances of the house.

They also help to absorb noise, freshen the atmosphere, serve as windbreaks and provide privacy.

Joohyun loves it, she could imagine opening her window and listening to the sound of leaves susurrating in the breeze.

Really, the atmosphere was very comforting that it lifted up her mood for the reading and painting activity.

But unfortunately, since the tree grows continually and are ever-changing, it will cause a new problem.

When the home inspector crawled out from having assessed the roots and their proximity to the foundation, Joohyun was sad to hear him said, “this tree has got to go.”

That tree in particular was too close to the house and too big for comfort. It had holes in the base and partially hollow, which meant it could come crashing down a lot more easily than healthy, solid trees could.

So even if just one branch came down in a storm, it would most likely damage their roof. So, they need to remove the tree.

­­­­___

Moving into a new home is a chance for a fresh start to Joohyun, and that includes a fresh look at the way she's gonna organize her room now.

But there's also a tendency to try and get everything done all at once, knowing it takes much longer to finish unpacking all her belongings since she has to make sure to decide on the placement and the closet organization before unpack boxed items, if at all possible.

So, Joohyun started to emptying them out and setting things up as items come out of the box.

She let her enthusiasm carry her away and use this time wisely by really thinking about how she wants to set up her room and how to best utilize the new space.

Somehow, it gave her a sense of accomplishment when she finished getting an item set up in her new room.

One hour later, she finished with creating a new setting, producing a new feel to her new room.

Joohyun let her eyes wandered around the room. It didn't feel like her old room even though she kept certain items around.

Feeling satisfy with her work,  a smile crept on face.

Joohyun started to walk towards her open window, planning to gaze around the new neighborhood. It's her way of enjoying a new place and new environment since gazing was one of Joohyun’s favorit thing to do.

___

An open window caught Seungwan’s eyes, she climbed on the tree then leapt into it without even batting her eyes, preparing to tuck and roll neatly on the floor, but finding her plan blocked by a rather figure.

“Oof.” Seungwan crashed into a girl, the two of them tumbling to the ground in a tangle of limbs.

Momentarily dazed, Seungwan placed her hands down on either side of the girl, who currently being pinned under her.

Her cheeks heated when she took in the widened brown eyes and scenic raven haired.

“Sweety?” a worried voice sounded from outside of the door, honey and silvery and somehow familiar.

“Are you alright?” Seungwan felt numb when Joohyun blinks owlishly for a few moments, before opening .

“I’m fine, mom,” she called out, “I tripped over my easel again.” A high and somehow addictive laugh pierce through the wood of the door, and Seungwan felt her body sag in relief.

 

Silence.

 

The implications of Seungwan atop of a girl, her arms effectively trapping the girl beneath her, come crashing down on the blonde in a tidal wave of panic and embarrassment, as she quickly scrambles off of the other girl, unable to hide the flush on her cheeks.

 

“I'm sorry um..."

 

Joohyun scoffed, taking Seungwan’s offered hand as she stood up, rubbing her elbow tenderly, “you can call me Joohyun.”

 

“Right then Joohyun, I’m sorry.”

 

Joohyun looked at her accusingly, crossing her arms over her chest.

 

"Are you a thief?"

 

Her eyes widened by the question.

 

"No! why would you think of that?"

 

"Then why did you swing on the tree and jump into my window?"

 

Seungwan wrinkled her nose.

 

"I was in my training mode."

 

"Huh?"

 

"You know parkour?"

 

Joohyun hummed in acknowledgment, tilting her head and observing her face.

 

"You seem familiar," Joohyun stated, "have we met previously?"

 

The gaze Joohyun sent her was positively thrilled, and extremely lethal. Seungwan's self-confidence melted a little.

 

"No, we haven't," she murmured quietly.

 

“Are you mad at me for swinging into your window without your permission?” she blurted out before she could stop herself, swallowing down the rest of her words when Joohyun eyes were fixing on her with an amused stare, one eyebrow quirked.

 

“Do you want me to?”

 

“Well, no, but–”

 

“But nothing,” Joohyun brushed off, moving to sit on her bed fluidly.

 

Seungwan's eyes were twinkling with amusement, and her lips are curved in a disarming smile.

 

"I'm Son Seungwan by the way. I– thank you.” Joohyun’s eyes snapped up to meet Seungwan's, seeing nothing but sincerity shining in the vibrant orbs, and Seungwan’s words are rewarded with a brilliant smile that made the blonde's heart stutter in her chest and breath catch in .

 

“No need to thank me,” Joohyun said with a smile, “I should be thanking you, really. Feel free to swing into my room whenever you’d like.”

___

 

“So, how’s school today, sweety?”

Her thought was interrupted, and she blinked rapidly, somehow she regained her composure in doing the current chore.

Joohyun and her mom were having a dinner just now, only the two of them since her step dad went on a night shift.

“Everything’s fine mom, I even joined a drama club.” Joohyun responded as she washed the dishes.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“That’s wonderful Hyun, I’m so proud of you,” her mom gave a warm smile, somehow her body slumping, losing its stiff posture and Joohyun smiled back.

“I’m done, I’m gonna be in my room if you need me.”

Joohyun said as she wiped her hand with the cloth and rushed upstairs.

She flopped into the bed and soon lost herself into the world of cosmos as she read one.

The pure expanse of them, the endlessness, the unpredictability, the unknown made her drawn to it. Too drawn that without realizing it, it was already late.

Her focus on reading the book was interrupted when suddenly the lights went off. Joohyun sighed and got up to lit a candle on the table near her bed.

Not even a minute as she continued from the last page, she heard someone was tapping on her bedroom window along with the pitter-patter of rain outside.

Joohyun rushed and looked out of the window only to find Seungwan balancing herself on the tree branch.

She quickly pulled open the window.

What are you doing coming to my house in the middle of the night?!" She whispered before letting Seungwan in.

"I assumed you haven't sleep yet."

Joohyun rolled her eyes and asked sarcastically, "how did you know?"

"My instinct never wrong."

Seungwan proceeded to sit on the carpet and grinned widely.

The room was only lit by a candle-light, giving a peaceful and wonderful atmosphere to the room.

“Do you remember the first day I came in here?”

The question took Joohyun by surprise and she blinked.

Seungwan was looking at her intently and it's like she was thrown back into that moment.

She wanted to tell Seungwan that for a while she was picking that day apart by the second and then by the millisecond to try and find the exact moment that her perception of reality shattered.

Instead she just nodded, placing her book down and said, “yeah, vaguely.”

Seungwan didn’t look like she believed her but let it pass. Then she took Joohyun's book and placed it right beside her.

“When I took the book from you…what did you see?”

If there was a fraction of Joohyun’s attention on something other than the girl across from her before, that was no longer the case.

The sudden unexpected rush to the surface of conversation had her confused. She didn't understand what's changed.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You know what I mean.”

 

The words were quiet but there was a challenge in Seungwan’s eyes. Joohyun swallowed the lump in .

 

“Listen, I-”

 

“It was magic. What you saw.” Seungwan dropped the words firmly with no room for alternative interpretations, “and what I’m guessing you'll see how often I’m gonna be here.”

Silence spreads across the moment, blanketing it. Seungwan’s eyes were searching hers, one eyebrow quirked.

The moment hangs there for a breath, threatening to tip in either direction. Which direction clearly depends on her answer.

Joohyun watched the book that was placed beside Seungwan, it's still there, placed neatly beside her. She didn't understand where's the magic in that move.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Okay?” Seungwan echoed with disbelief.

 

Both eyebrows were nearing her hairline and hang open.

Joohyun marked this moment as the first time she thought she’d ever properly seen a shock Seungwan.

“I tell you I have magic and you say ‘okay’?”

Seungwan blinked owlishly.

Joohyun shrugged, “well, I mean, I sort of came to that conclusion myself after you practically flew off into my window like a squirrel looking for a tree to stay and chill.”

Seungwan jumped forward to the edge of her seat, “I knew it! I knew you saw it.”

 

“And there's also the tumbling and rolling on the ground. And the hair.”

 

“The hair?” her fingers came up to one of the strands almost protectively.

 

“Unless you cut your hair in the two seconds between swinging on the tree and leaping into my window...” Joohyun trailed off and picked up the book beside Seungwan, she placed it back on the table.

 

“Damn,” Seungwan folded her arms and pouted, “I’m usually better at keeping track of stuff like that.”

 

The rain continued to pour steadily on the other side of the window, the sound coming in muffled. Part of her, a part that grows smaller every day, still can’t believe she’s having this conversation with her.

 

She returned her attention from the rain outside back to Seungwan. And right away, like a bat out of hell, Seungwan asked her a question.

 

"Why didn't you tell anyone I was jumping into your window?

 

“To my mom?”

 

“To anyone.”

 

Joohyun shrugged, wanted to say, ‘because I was afraid you wouldn’t come back if I did.’

 

She offered her a different truth instead.

 

“Who would I tell?”

 

And it was the truth, because who would she realistically tell something like this to? her Mom? her mom would probably just tell her to get her head out of the clouds. Her step dad? they're not really close, but she can imagine exactly how that would go. He’d probably force her into a ct scan and multiple psychiatric evaluations before he got more than two words out about it.

Something flickered in Joohyun’s eyes but Seungwan left it alone. Instead she cleared and said, “well, thank you for not telling anyone.”

The comment was almost shy and it was a look she hadn’t seen on Seungwan before. But there was also an obvious relief in Seungwan’s eyes as well.

They shared a smile and Joohyun was thrown by the amity she felt in that moment. She wasn’t sure if it was the idea that she was being trusted so thoroughly, or if it was just Seungwan that had this effect on her.

“Does this mean I’m allowed to ask questions?”

Seungwan laughed and Joohyun thought it's becoming her favorite sound in the world. “Yeah. Go ahead, shoot.”

___

 

"Did you have separate houses at your school?”

 

“I didn’t go to Hogwarts, Seungwan.”

 

“Well, what a disappointment.” Seungwan handed her a plate with chocolate cookies and crossed her arms, frowning.

 

Joohyun had just finished a lengthy explanation to her about Harry Potter and how amazing it would be if everyone could study numerous charms and spells in Hogwarts.

Seungwan had been extremely intrigued about the process, firing questions left and right. Joohyun had humored all of them.

 

“You’d definitely be a Slytherin.”

 

“I’m going to take that as a compliment,” Joohyun said, dipping the chocolate cookie into the milk and biting off a piece of it.

 

“It was intended as one.”

 

She chewed on the cookie in and watched Seungwan grinned as she leapt out of the window.

___

“Vampire?” Seungwan greeted her after leaping into her open window.

 

Joohyun was working on her painting with her rhythm established and her brush moving as if of its own accord.

 

“What about them?”

 

“Real or not real?”

 

“Real. Not very nice. Very full of themselves.”

 

Seungwan watched as her brush dipped in the mix that will become a brilliant blue fire and started to paint it with a confident .

___

Jooyun was leaning against the headboard of her bed, once again enthralled in an astronomy textbook, because nothing had ever quite captured her attention as much as the cosmos did.

She was being drawn to it, too caught up in her reading to particular care about her surrounding until a thud could be heard across the room.

And Joohyun didn't need to worry thinking it might be a thief as she already knew who it was.

Seungwan had swung into Joohyun’s open window again. But this time there was something different about her.

 

"You're bringing a guitar?"

 

"Yeah, I thought you'd like to hear me singing?"

 

"Do I get to request a song?"

 

"Gold ticket for the first audience for tonight," she smirked, "since you're the first audience so you'll get a gold ticket, and you get to request a song."

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes, she closed her book and sat on the carpet.

Seungwan cleared and strummed the first note of the song, but then she stopped. Instead she turned and stepped out of the window to sit on the tree branch with her feet hanging down.

 

"What are you doing?" Joohyun asked, lines forming between the eyebrows.

 

Seungwan made a gesture with her hand to sit beside her.

 

"Come sit here, nothing could beat the feeling of singing while looking at the stars."

 

That night, for the second time in her life Joohyun listened to the song she'd been longing to listen to.

 

She hoped through the wrinkles of time, through the mask of the years, she will always see her face.

___

Since their initial meeting, the two of them had formed an odd sort of friendship. Seungwan would drop in mostly unannounced, and Joohyun would somehow always be there when she arrived, usually painting or reading a book.

 

“So,” Joohyun’s voice snapped Seungwan out of her thoughts, grabbing her attention as she put a band-aid on Seungwan’s forehead.

 

She had swung into Joohyun's window again with free style, but this time she tripped unexpectedly resulting in her fell hard on the floor.

 

“What’s new in the life of the infamous Seungwan the freerunner recently?”

 

“The usual,” Seungwan shot back, “doing parkour, serenade a girl and trying to impress that girl.”

 

“Consider the girl thoroughly impressed,” Joohyun laughed, shaking her head fondly as she cupped Seungwan’s face tenderly, Joohyun thought she looked adorable with a hamster doodle band-aid on her forehead.

 

Joohyun leant in and softly pressed a kiss to Seungwan’s slightly chapped lips. She felt her chest tense, as though there were a hundred frantic birds trying to escape her ribcage.

 

This had been a fairly recent development.

 

When Joohyun had found herself falling fast for the kind, gentle, and greasy girl. she hadn’t imagined, not in a million years, that the girl would reciprocate her feelings.

 

S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter