Forever

For You

A/N: I rarely ever write non-AU, but ‘For You’ has always been the middle ground, so this final chapter is like my vision of what could be a happy future.



 

It was warm and cozy, maybe a little too hot, but still way too comfortable to make her want to move. She could feel a familiar weight on top of her, hot breath hitting her neck and arms hugging her waist, the scent of vanilla nicely filling her nostrils – of course, Kim Minjoo had always been the clingy type and not even time could change it.

With a lazy smile, Chaewon nuzzled into her wife’s soft dark hair, a pleased sigh leaving as she was surrounded by the familiar smell that was so unique to Minjoo. Would she ever get tired of it? Definitely not.

Leaving a kiss on top of her head, her hands ran through Min’s back, softly patting the skin covered by an old black hoodie with fading silver letters – Minjoo insisted on keeping it, regardless of how worn out it was. Chaewon couldn’t judge her, she still had hers as well. “MinMin, are you sleeping or just pretending so I won’t get up?” She asked in a quiet voice, a hint of playfulness as she already knew the answer.

The couple had decided to take a short nap after having lunch, Wonjoo had fallen asleep and they couldn’t waste a precious chance of having some alone time together while the kid visited dreamland.

Minjoo’s only answer was a short giggle, the brunette snuggling up to Chaewon, pinning her down to make sure their little cozy moment wouldn’t end so fast – she was indeed clingy, but it wasn’t her fault her wife’s arms were the safest and happiest place she had ever known. Her lips met Chae’s soft skin, and she was proud to hear a chuckle in reply.

Not resisting the temptation, she kissed Chaewon’s neck again and again, until her girl broke into laughter – her favorite sound –, and hugged her a little too tightly. “I’m sorry, I just don’t want my pillow to move.” Minjoo apologized with a grin on her face, pulling back a little to see the said pillow – Chaewon’s sharp chestnut eyes looked back at her with amusement and fondness, the same look that had made her fall in love so many years ago. Now, however, different from back then, she didn’t need to fear not being able to see it every day.

Pecking Chaewon’s lips lightly, she was inundated by the feeling of belongingness that had slowly grown inside of her throughout their years together – life partners, they said it as a joke at first, but it turned out to be the most accurate way to describe them.

Chae stole another kiss from her wife even though their positions made it a little difficult. “I would like to stay here all day, but I hear small, fast and furious footsteps coming this way and they should be here in five, four…” She rested her weight on her elbows, lifting herself and Minjoo, so she could see the room’s door. “Three, two and…Here she is!” Right as she finished the count, Wonjoo entered the room through the open door, her small feet bringing her to the bed quickly.

“Mom! You are on TV!” Wonjoo exclaimed with a huge grin on her face, her little body shaking in excitement as she delivered the news – she was, after all, her moms’ biggest fan.

“Huh?” Chaewon looked to the kid in confusion, before glancing at her wife – Minjoo had taken a seat beside her now. “They are rerunning your drama already?”

Minjoo just shrugged her shoulders, just as confused – she had just finished a new drama and albeit it did well, she didn’t expect to see it again on TV for at least a few years. “I don’t think so. Maybe one of the old ones?”

“No!” It was Wonjoo who answered, climbing up the bed and coming close to Chaewon, poking her side with her fluffy hands. “You!” Her excitement was obvious as she continued, bouncing up and down on the bed. “You two, singing!” The kid giggled, as if it was such an amazing thing to see both her parents on TV – and it indeed was, as Chaewon’s current job didn’t place her in front of the cameras very often. “And aunties too! I saw Duckie and Puppy!”

“Yena and Yujin too?” Chaewon frowned, before a smile made its way to her face as she exchanged a look with Minjoo. They both knew what it was, and the idea brought happy memories. “Oh, so it is...”

“It is all of us.” Minjoo completed with a smile that mirrored hers, standing up to pick up Wonjoo, making the kid happily clingy to her. “Let’s see it, I miss seeing us all on TV.” Gesturing for the older Kim to follow them, she walked towards the living room to check what Wonjoo had seen.

And there it was, all twelve of them, in their fancy clothes and bright smiles, livelier and happier than ever – they were one, for one last day. The TV was showing a special about their short, yet remarkable, career as a group.

Putting Wonjoo on the floor so the kid could run around the room, she took a seat on the couch so they could watch it – or better saying, Wonjoo could, while the adults basked in the bittersweet memories of the team that allowed them to meet and become the people they were today.

Her chest grew heavier, as the TV showed their very last performance, the very last time they were together in front of the whole world.

 

They exchanged a long glance before Minjoo stepped aside, allowing the older girl to come in. Chaewon locked the door and gently pulled Minjoo with her to the bed where they cuddled in the same position they had done so many times before – Minjoo safely inside her arms, as Chaewon hugged her like it was the last time.

It might as well be. At least for a long time.

Minjoo nuzzled into her neck, breath warm, hot tears meeting Chaewon’s soft skin and painting her blue hoodie indigo – the older Kim didn’t mind it, her hands running up and down Minjoo’s back, her own tears making their way down her face. Chaewon was never the type that cries easily, yet she was having a hard time containing herself lately, feeling like her heart was about to explode with all tears inside of it.

She had tried to put a strong face to the others today, to smile and diligently pack her stuff as she should, being useful and trying to help comfort the younger members. Still, the weight inside her chest was so heavy that she couldn’t help but look for comfort too – Minjoo arms were just the perfect place for it, the younger girl sharing the same pain and hopelessness as her.

It was so sudden and so unfair, yet there was nothing they could do. All their plans suddenly disappeared and they had no choice but to do as they were told and try their best to not give up.

Still, it hurt and it wasn’t easy to accept – to even think that the family they had built through the years would vanish like the clouds in the sky, as if they were never there to begin with.

Tears eventually disappeared, leaving only heavy sighs behind as the girls felt too tired to cry over the broken plans that would never come true. They just snuggled up together, skin to skin, lips marking each other and breaths becoming one – one last stolen moment to keep their minds sane, one last time to keep their hearts from breaking into pieces.

“What will happen to us now?” Minjoo was the first to say, her voice so small that it was only a whisper against Chaewon’s ear.

“I wish I could say I know, but I don’t.” Chaewon opted for being honest, her arms hugging Minjoo closer as she rested her face on her shoulder, trying to get the strength to continue from the familiar scent that was the very own definition of home for her now. “But we will be together always. We will find a way.”

“I want to believe it.” It was just a hopeful thought, a maybe silly and naïve thought that was the only thing they had left now. Minjoo wanted to hold on to it with all her mighty, she wasn’t ready to let go of it yet – to let go of them. “So much.”

Shutting her eyes tightly, Chae left a kiss on top of Minjoo’s head. No, they wouldn’t let it go, not now, not ever. “I believe in us.” She had believed in them ever since the first moment, ever since they held hands for the first time and their eyes met, marking what would be the most important day of their lives – not only for them but to the people outside those doors too. It wasn’t only their battle. “I believe in all of us.”

It wouldn’t be easy, there was only so much they could do, still, they would try their best.

 

I wasn’t easy indeed, and nothing went their way for a while. From fighting for their rights, to trying to find a way to keep them together, to solving the disputes with the others…It wasn’t easy, but with time, they found a way.

It didn’t mean following the same path always, but following paths that eventually led them to the same destination – even now, that was how they kept going, while pursuing their own dreams and supporting each other.

As for Chaewon and Minjoo, it was tougher than for anyone else. As a couple, they were the most vulnerable, but perhaps it was what kept them together. They had to work around each other’s schedules, trying to use their influences and finding creative ways to make sure they would never be separate for too long – luckily for them, even if Minjoo now had a different career, she was still able to participate in Chaewon’s life with the help of her company and Chaewon’s agency was willingly to invest in them.

Slowly, through the years, they figured out their true passions and how to achieve their new dreams, while still remaining faithful to each other.

And now they were here – Minjoo with a bunch of dramas and movies in her resume, growing from doing small roles to playing the lead in almost everything; And Chaewon, with so many songs under her name, her own little studio producing the pieces she was truly invested in, singing what she really loved.

They’ve known each other for so long, but only a little over seven years ago they were able to be truly open about their relationship, to be brave enough to take the next step and tie their lives together for good – and of course, welcome to this world their little miracle.

A little miracle that was completely oblivious to her moms’ nostalgic thoughts.

“Airplane!” Wonjoo screamed as her favorite song came on, her little body jumping up and down in front of the TV as she sang along to the song.

Chaewon hugged Minjoo by the shoulders, with a smile on her face. “We were so young. It is so weird to see it like this now.” She still had many memories, in her mind every single song was forever engraved, just like the many days and nights of endless practice and rehearsals, all the recording process and every show they ever had…It was almost funny how a three minutes song could contain so many incredible memories.

“And happy.” Minjoo added, with a smile on her face as she rested her head on Chaewon's shoulder. “But we are happy in a different way now.” In more than one way, they had found happiness together – as professionals, friends and as a couple. Life wasn’t always perfect, but it was good enough to remind them of their reasons to never give up.

“Yes, we surely are.” Hugging Minjoo a little closer, Chae glanced at Wonjoo with a proud smile. Yes, definitely worth it all. “Do you think they are watching it too?” There was no need to specify who, Minjoo already knew.

“I wonder...” Min checked her phone and let out an airy chuckle as she saw the long list of notifications from their friends’ group-chat. “Or not. Yena and Chaeyeon are blowing up the group chat again!”

Chaewon laughed along, before reaching out to capture their daughter with an arm, bringing her to her lap. “Wonjoonnie, want to send a picture to your aunties?” She proposed, gesturing to Minjoo's phone and the kid was quick to let out an excited exclamation, finding a perfect place in between her parents so they all could be in the picture. “Say I-I-I is…”

One!” Wonjoo’s bright smile could be seen on the picture, one that mirrored her moms’ expression, the big TV in the background showing a much younger version of the adults – alongside with the rest of their family.

The picture taken that day soon found company in many more, some of them taken in a very special day where the house was filled with loud voices and laughter, twelve women coming over to celebrate their anniversary in the same way they had been doing for years now – together, despite busy schedules and living in different places, finding the time to celebrate the thing that would always bond them together.

The new photograph showed the twelve women together, bright smiles on their faces dirty with cake icing – all thanks to a very loud and messy food war that exploded in the kitchen as they tried to bake something; they ended up ordering a cake later. They all looked different now, older and maybe a little wiser, but the spark inside their eyes was still the same. And of course, Wonjoo was right in the middle of them, a huge grin on her face as Wonyoung and Yujin lifted her high, like the cool ‘aunties’ they were – Chaewon still thought they all looked like babies.

“Once we come together, we become one.” It was written at the top of the picture with Wonyo’s pretty handwriting. Another message in purple was seen at the bottom, Eunbi’s handwriting that was followed by a big heart. “Happy anniversary, Iz*One.”

 



 

A/N: And with this little chapter, I end this series here. Hopefully, it will help to cheer you guys up, even if only a bit. I won’t make any announcements until the end of april. Let’s support Iz*One always!

Thank you, see you on Friday.