Epilogue: Shadows

Shadows

Three months later...

“Why are all my clothes black?” Eunji cried. She pulled out another black shirt from her closet and threw it onto her bed.

“Maybe it’s because that’s your favorite color,” Bomi replied simply. She lifted a very revealing sheer top and lifted her brow. “Eunji-ah, would you care to explain?”

“Oh, that’s just Eunji-unnie’s favorite clubbing top,” Namjoo said as though that explained everything. She dug through the pile of clothes on the floor, occasionally picking up some to fit against her own body. Bomi was fairly certain that she was trying to figure out where the clothes would look good on her and not Eunji, the person they had both promised to help.

Eunji had an important date with Naeun in a few hours, and Eunji had desperately called upon her teammates to help her get ready. Bomi and Namjoo were the only ones who had been available, but Bomi wasn’t quite sure if they were being helpful. They had been trying to find the right outfit for Eunji for about an hour, and they had just succeeded in making Eunji’s room a cluttered mess of scattered clothes.

Eunji snatched the top from Bomi’s hands. “How did you know that this is my favorite clubbing top?”

“It is?” Bomi sputtered. “You have a favorite clubbing top?”

“When we went to the club that one time, you wore that top. You said it made you feel powerful,” Namjoo said.

“When did you two go to the club together?” Bomi asked, dumbfounded.

“You act as though we haven’t gone to clubs together, Bbom-ah,” Eunji said.

“We have, but I didn’t know that you had a favorite clubbing top that would be so…revealing.”

“Bbom-ah, I’ve seen you go to clubs in nothing but a piece of wrap around your chest.”

Namjoo choked, and Bomi cried, “It’s called a tube top!”

Before Eunji could reply, Namjoo cut in, “Alright guys, let’s not start a fight right now. Eunji-unnie has to find the perfect date outfit in less than an hour, and we have no time to bicker.”

“Thank you, Namjoo-ah,” Eunji said. She pulled out a blouse from her closet. “How about this?”

“Too professional. You’re getting ready for a date, not an interview,” Namjoo said, and Eunji tossed the blouse back into her closet. “Where are you two going anyways? What makes this date so important?”

“A while ago, I made a promise to Naeun that I would take her outside the palace to enjoy the city like a normal person. For the past few months, she hasn’t been able to step outside without being bombarded by dozens of reporters, so we’ve had to postpone the date several times. Now that the whole excitement with the destruction of the Shadow Clan and Naeun finally showing her face to the public has died down, we can finally go through with our plans.”

“That’s so sweet,” Namjoo swooned. “Where exactly are you taking her?”

“To all the places that the city can offer,” Eunji answered. “A coffee shop, a bookstore, an art studio, a small restaurant…everything that she has admired from afar for practically her entire life.”

“You’re making me seem like a bad girlfriend,” Bomi said. “You’re setting the bar too high.”

“At least you have a girlfriend,” Namjoo lamented. “I’m starting to think that being single is just going to become one of my personality traits.”

“Shut up,” Eunji laughed. “Don’t act like you and Hayoungie haven’t been getting really close lately.”

“I’m just helping her through physical therapy,” Namjoo protested, but the slight hitch in her tone betrayed her true feelings. 

“We all know that it’s not just the physical therapy,” Bomi said. Though it was true that Namjoo had been basically holding Hayoung’s hand through every step of physical therapy, Bomi knew that it would be a lie to say that they hadn’t formed a bond through their time together. Everyone could see it, and they all talked about it. 

Hayoung’s recovery was going incredibly well. She could now walk with heavy reliance on a cane, and that was much more than what the doctor had predicted in such little time. Bomi would bet a hundred bucks that Namjoo’s help had played a role in Hayoung’s recovery.

“It is,” Namjoo denied again, but even she sounded doubtful. “Anyways, Hayoungie and I are going out later today to celebrate her third month of successful physical training. Could you guys also help me find an outfit?”

Bomi and Eunji shared a glance. Eunji said, “Namjoo-ah, that’s called a date.”

“It is not!”

“It’s a date,” Bomi confirmed. “Why else would you need help finding an outfit?”

“Maybe I just wanted to look nice for once.”

“For Hayoungie,” Eunji teased. “But yes, of course we’ll help you. First we need to find me an outfit.”

“Bomi-unnie, aren’t you going out with Chorong-unnie later?” Namjoo questioned. “Do you need help finding an outfit too?”

“I don’t need help,” Bomi replied, but then she paused. For their past few dates, Chorong had consistently surprised Bomi with how well she could dress up. On their first date, Chorong had blown her away with a pretty flowery dress that Bomi would have never imagined seeing her in. Still, Chorong had knocked the air straight out of Bomi’s chest and Bomi still couldn’t go a day without thinking about Chorong in that dress. Maybe this time, Bomi could blow Chorong away. “Actually, maybe I do.”

Eunji looked amused, but she also started searching through her closet much more frantically. “We have to hurry then.”

“I’ll look through your accessories,” Bomi said and jumped into action. All three of them resumed their tasks with more electrified movements, as though they had been struck by lightning. As Bomi dug through Eunji’s collection of earrings, Bomi wondered nervously how exactly she could top that flowery dress and blow Chorong away.


After what had seemed like hours of searching, Eunji had finally found an outfit that she liked. She wore a flattering pair of high-waisted slacks, a black cross-body top, and a large overcoat. Namjoo had curled her hair into gentle waves, and Bomi had selected subtle but beautiful accessories to complete Eunji’s look. It didn’t look like much, but Bomi and Namjoo had both agreed that it was definitely Eunji’s style, and that was what Naeun would have wanted. 

But in the end, it seemed like it didn’t even matter. When Naeun stepped out the door, Eunji realized that she could have been dressed in a gorgeous gown and she still wouldn’t compare to Naeun. The princess had opted for a light yellow dress, cream coat, and heels. It was one of Naeun’s more casual outfits, but Eunji still thought that she was the most beautiful person she had ever seen.

“Wow,” was all Eunji could say as Naeun descended the steps towards Eunji. They were at one of the side entrances of the palace, where they had decided to meet for some privacy. 

“I believe I’m the one who should be saying that,” Naeun said. “You look amazing.”

“I’m dating a literal goddess.”

“No, just a princess,” Naeun corrected. “And future queen.”

Eunji rolled her eyes and took Naeun’s hand. “Alright, your Highness.” Eunji gestured towards the car parked off to the side. “Your carriage awaits.”

“You’re driving?”

“You sound skeptical. Do you not trust me to drive?”

“No, it’s not that. I’ve just never been driven by you before. I’ve never been driven by anyone that wasn’t a chauffeur, actually.”

Eunji opened the door on the passenger side for Naeun. “Well, there’s a first time for anything.”

Naeun thanked Eunji and slid into the seat. She examined the interior of the car with a sort of adorable childlike fascination, then looked up at Eunji with bright eyes. “I suppose today is going to be full of first times.”

Eunji’s heart did a little dance, and she just smiled sweetly at the princess and shut the door. When she walked around the car and slid into the driver’s seat, Naeun asked, “You know, you still haven’t told me where we’re going.”

“That’s because it’s a surprise,” Eunji replied and started the car. Not a minute later, they were off and driving outside the palace gates.

After about twenty minutes, they reached their first destination: the quaint little coffee shop where Eunji would often go when she was trying to convince Bomi to join the team.

“A coffee shop?” Naeun asked curiously as Eunji helped her out of the car. 

“I don’t know which coffee shop is your favorite to stare at from the palace, so I picked the best one that I know.” Eunji held out her hand. “Shall we?”

Together, they walked into the coffee shop. The moment the door shut behind them, it was as though everyone in the shop had frozen. Everyone stared at them―especially Princess Naeun. Eunji had no doubt that it was initially because Naeun seemed a bit too overdressed for a coffee trip and it was like a model had just walked through the doors at the shop. Eunji observed the gazes of the customers in the shop, and she watched as they shifted from awe to recognition.

Next to Eunji, Naeun tensed and took a tiny step back. Eunji took her hand and gave her a reassuring smile. Reluctantly, Naeun followed Eunji as they walked up to the counter to order. The people around them stared, but thankfully, none of them approached them. It had been a while since Eunji and Naeun had told Naeun’s parents about their relationships. Though they were wary about it initially due to concerns regarding the nation and the public, they eventually welcomed it. In their own words, Eunji and Naeun were very clearly a match made in heaven and nothing, not even politics, would get in between them. 

The harder part would be revealing their relationship to the rest of the world, since they knew that not everyone would be as accepting. For now, they had decided to not make any official statements. They were never too overly affectionate outside, and Eunji was pretty sure that most people just thought that Eunji was one of Naeun’s guards. Even as Eunji held Naeun’s hand as they walked towards an empty table, Eunji didn’t doubt that everyone in the coffee shop just believed that Eunji was simply protecting Naeun.

Their drinks and pastries arrived not so long after they sat down. Naeun gazed happily down at the cute pastries and cappuccinos and pulled out her phone to take pictures. As she did that, Eunji pulled out her own phone and snapped a picture of Naeun and stared at it fondly.

“What are you looking at?” Naeun asked.

Eunji put her phone away and replied, “Just a possible new screensaver.”

Naeun looked at her curiously, but she left it at that. For the next thirty minutes, they spoke comfortably with each other about things that for once did not have to do with the fate of the country. Every now and then, Naeun would look away to admire the interior of the coffee shop, and during these precious moments, Eunji would snap a few sneaky pictures of Naeun. Her camera roll slowly became filled with pictures of Naeun, and Eunji had nothing against that.

When they finished their drinks and pastries, Naeun asked, “Where are we going next?”  

“There’s a small bookstore not too far from here,” Eunji answered. 

“A bookstore?” Naeun said. “Aren’t you more of a movie person?”

“Believe it or not, Princess, I like to watch movies and read books.” Eunji laughed. “I’ve been to this bookstore a few times, and it has an atmosphere that I think you’d love. It reminds me of you.”

“Well then, I can’t wait to see it.”

Eunji grinned and stood from the table. “Let’s go, then.”

The rest of the date felt like a dream to Eunji. Everything was perfect, from the activities to the girl. Just as Eunji had suspected, Naeun absolutely adored the bookstore. It definitely wasn’t the palace’s library, but Eunji knew that Naeun would have preferred the coziness of the bookstore over that. The bookstore was smaller than the size of Eunji’s room in the palace and it was filled to the brim with all sorts of books, but somehow it didn’t feel cluttered at all. 

Upstairs was a quaint loft with cushions and reading lights. Eunji and Naeun had spent most of their time in the bookstore there, just reading some of the books that they had picked out. They had stayed much longer than either of them had anticipated, but it had been worth it. The smile on Naeun’s face as she walked out of the store swinging the bag of books that she had just purchased was enough consolation for Eunji. 

The art museum had also been perfect. Though they hadn’t been allowed to take pictures of the artwork, Eunji snuck a few pictures of Naeun while the princess was busy admiring the paintings in front of her. Eunji tried her best to follow Naeun as she explained each art piece to Eunji, but it was difficult when Eunji couldn’t stop staring at Naeun and when Eunji wasn’t exactly the most educated in art. By the time they had left the museum, Eunji had spent more time admiring Naeun than she had admiring the actual art.

But, again, she had no regrets.

The rest of their date consisted of small trips to an arcade, bakery, and park. To be honest, it felt like they were tourists in their own city, but Eunji didn’t particularly have a problem with that. By the time they had walked around the entire park, the sun had begun to lower in the sky, and an early night breeze had settled in.

Naeun hugged herself and shivered. Eunji wished that she could wrap her arms around her, but she knew that it would make their relationship too obvious to the public.

“I wish this day would never end,” Naeun murmured.

“We’ll have more dates in the future,” Eunji replied.

“Not like this,” Naeun shook her head. “This one was special. I got to experience all of the things that I had admired from afar for two decades today.”

“I promised you that I would take you outside the palace gates,” Eunji reminded Naeun.

“You did, and I got to do all the things that I have dreamed about for so long. But that’s not the reason why this day was so special.” Naeun smiled and Eunji couldn’t see anything but love in her eyes. “I got to experience it with someone that I love. It wouldn’t have been that special if it had been anyone else, but because you’re here with me, Eunji, I will never forget today.”

“I will never forget today either,” Eunji said. “But let’s not act like it’s over already.”

Naeun looked genuinely shocked. “You have more planned?”

“Of course I do. What would a date be without a proper meal?”

“Where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise.” Eunji smiled and reached over to comb aside a lock of Naeun’s hair. “It’s one of my favorite places.”

“Should I have dressed better?”

“Naeun-ah, you could dress in sweats and still outshine everyone in a five-star restaurant,” Eunji said. “But no, you’re perfectly fine. Let’s just say that the restaurant matches today’s theme of ‘nothing fancy’.”

“Are we going to McDonald’s?”

Eunji laughed and nudged Naeun forward. “Maybe a little fancier than that.”


“Why do you look so nice?” Hayoung asked the moment she opened the door and caught a glance of Namjoo’s outfit. After what had seemed like hours of trying on different outfits, Namjoo had settled with a cream top, beige corduroy jacket, and black pants. Bomi had styled her auburn hair in loose curls and Eunji had lightly touched up her makeup. It didn’t seem like much, but it was definitely much more than what Namjoo usually did when she had plans with Hayoung.

“If that’s your way of telling me that I look nice, then thank you,” Namjoo replied. “And why do you look so nice?”

Just like Namjoo, Hayoung had never really put much effort into her outfit or makeup whenever she went out with Namjoo, but apparently today was an exception. The tall maknae had braided her long hair loosely back, and her lips were a darker shade of pink. She was wearing a black turtleneck, dark high-waisted pants, and a long plaid overcoat.

Hayoung looked down at herself and shrugged. “I guess our three months is pretty special.”

Our three months?”

“You’ve practically been going through physical therapy with me,” Hayoung said. With heavy reliance on her cane, Hayoung walked out of the doorframe and joined Namjoo in the hallway. Seeing how much Hayoung struggled to walk with her cane hurt Namjoo every time, but it was still much better than seeing Hayoung miserable in her wheelchair.

“This is still solely your achievement,” Namjoo said. She stepped aside to give Hayoung space. She nearly offered Hayoung her hand, but she remembered that Hayoung had recently become adamant trying to do things on her own. She had said that she wanted to get used to being independent, and although it went against every fiber in Namjoo’s body, Namjoo had tried to abide by that and not offer help as much.

“I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you,” Hayoung told Namjoo seriously. “I’d still be in that wretched wheelchair.”

“I’d be pushing you in that wretched wheelchair,” Namjoo said. “But that means that I’d be there for you, and if I was, then that means that I’d also be supporting you in your rehabilitation training. Long story short, I’ll always be by your side, no matter what. I have been since our academy days. What makes you think I’d just stop now?”

Hayoung laughed, “Thank you for staying by my side, Namjoo-unnie.”

“You don’t have to thank me for doing something like that.”

Hayoung leaned on her cane and pivoted to face Namjoo. “You have no idea how much I have to thank you for.”

Hayoung’s gaze was so serious that Namjoo felt her heart do a little skip. When Namjoo confessed her feelings to Hayoung a few months ago, Hayoung had painfully turned her down. Namjoo had been expecting that and had accepted it, but over these few months, Namjoo’s feelings had done everything but fade away. Spending so much time with Hayoung had only strengthened Namjoo’s feelings for her, and now Namjoo was more in love with Hayoung than she had ever been. 

Namjoo didn’t know if Hayoung’s feelings had changed in any way, but she did know that the maknae was no longer heartbroken over the princess. Over these past few months, Hayoung had slowly healed while Namjoo’s love for her only intensified. Namjoo had some feeling that something had changed between her and Hayoung and that they now had potential to become something more than just friends, but maybe that was just her wishful thinking.

“You have all the time in the world to tell me,” Namjoo said.

Hayoung looked slightly disappointed, like she had been expecting a different answer. She turned away and took a slow, uneven step. Namjoo kept a steady pace next to her as they walked down the hall.

“Are you going to tell me where we’re going?” Hayoung asked. “You’ve been pretty mysterious about it.”

“It’s a surprise,” Namjoo replied. “But I hope you’re not expecting a five-course meal.”

“I’m not, but now that you’ve mentioned it, I will be expecting it sometime in the future.”

“You can expect that once you’ve completed your training,” Namjoo said.

“That gives me even more motivation to try harder. See? I wouldn’t be able to do this without you.”

“I’m glad I could be so motivational,” laughed Namjoo. “Just think, what have you been craving lately?”

“I crave pretty much everything at any time of the day.”

“Then I guess you’re truly in for a surprise, Hayoungie.”

Hayoung grinned and kept moving forward slowly but surely. “Is this a date?”

Namjoo stopped in her tracks and stared wide-eyed at Hayoung, who just stared back at her innocently. Hayoung had asked it so casually, but it was enough to set Namjoo aback and wonder if she had heard correctly.

“What did you ask?” Namjoo managed to sputter out.

“Is this a date?” Hayoung repeated calmly.

Namjoo struggled to collect herself and find the right words to reply. Hayoung gazed at her expectantly, and suddenly Namjoo found herself rummaging through all her memories from the past few months. Had she missed something? Had Hayoung been showing signs of reciprocating Namjoo’s feelings without Namjoo noticing it? It was a possibility, seeing as how Namjoo was often so blinded by love whenever she was with Hayoung.

“Sorry, that was a weird question,” Hayoung said after a while. She looked a bit sad.

Hayoung began drawing back, and Namjoo quickly blurted out, “No!”

“No?” Hayoung asked curiously.

“I mean, no, that wasn’t a weird question,” Namjoo said quickly. She took a deep breath and tried to steady her words. She inquired softly, “Do you want this to be a date?”

There wasn’t a flash of doubt in Hayoung’s eyes, and Namjoo realized that Hayoung must have been waiting for this moment for quite a while. The maknae smiled widely and reached for Namjoo’s hand. 

“Yes,” she replied. “I would like that.”


Bomi did not top Chorong’s flowery dress. She was convinced that doing so was beyond any human’s capability; it was utterly impossible to look as good as Chorong had that day.

That is, unless you were Chorong. Chorong wasn’t wearing a flowery dress or anything too fancy, but she still looked amazing in her casual oversized button-up top and jeans. Bomi was wearing slacks, a tucked-in white top, and the nicest jacket she could find in her closet. This was the best she, Namjoo, and Eunji could throw together in their limited time, and Bomi thought that they had done a decent job

Chorong evidently thought that too, because when she entered Bomi’s room, she asked, “Is there a special occasion today?”

“Nothing in particular,” Bomi replied. She shut the door behind Chorong, but they still lingered next to it. They were about to leave for dinner, but Bomi had invited Chorong over to relax for a bit before they went.

“You’re dressed a bit nicer than you usually do,” Chorong said.

“I can’t look good for my girlfriend every now and then?”

“You always look good to me,” Chorong said smoothly. In another time, Bomi would have blushed furiously like a child with a crush. Now, her cheeks only warmed slightly.

“Do you remember when we first gathered as a team?” Bomi asked. “When you told me that none of us were the same women we were when we graduated from the academy?”

“Yes, I do.”

Bomi took Chorong’s hand in hers and gently her thumb. Memories, some warm and some cold, flooded her thoughts with a wave of nostalgia. “I think that applies to us now too. None of us are the same women we were back when we first joined this team.”

“Definitely not,” Chorong agreed. 

“Back then, I don’t think I could have even imagined you laughing or wearing anything that wasn’t mission gear.”

“And now?”

“And now I can’t stop imagining you in that flowery dress.”

Chorong laughed and tugged Bomi closer. “Trust me, I have a lot more nice outfits that aren’t mission gear.”

“Oh thank God,” Bomi murmured, and Chorong laughed again. “Back then, you also said that to some of us, that change could be a blessing.”

Chorong kept her gaze steady. “I did.”

“To me, this change,” Bomi motioned between herself and Chorong, “was a blessing. You are a blessing, Chorong.”

“Are you sure there isn’t a special occasion today?” Chorong asked with a smile. She leaned in closer until their noses were touching. “You’re my miracle, Yoon Bomi. You came into my life unexpectedly, but now I can’t imagine my life without you.”

Bomi leaned forward and placed a small, sweet kiss on Chorong’s lips. She pulled away and smoothed Chorong’s hair lovingly.  “You won’t ever have to. I’ll always be here.”

“I love you,” Chorong murmured softly.

“I love you too,” Bomi replied. She kept ahold of Chorong’s hand as she used her other hand to reach for the doorknob. “Now let’s get some dinner.”

Chorong closed her fingers around Bomi’s hand tightly and followed Bomi out the door. Today was Bomi’s turn to drive, and Bomi was going to take Chorong to her favorite budae jjigae place. There really wasn’t a special occasion so they weren’t doing much, but then again, every day with Chorong felt special.

For the past few months, Bomi had felt like she was living in a fairy tale; something about being with Chorong just felt so magical. It was shocking just how gentle and loving someone whose hobby was learning how to master new weapons could be. Chorong wasn’t Bomi’s first relationship, but Bomi still had never felt this way about anyone before. Whenever Bomi looked at Chorong, she had this feeling of...eternity. They hadn’t been dating for long, but Bomi already knew that Chorong was the one.

When Bomi and Chorong arrived at the restaurant, the owner, a sweet old lady, greeted Bomi warmly, “Yoon Bomi! I haven’t seen your face in a while.”

“I’ve been out of town for a while, but I’m back now,” Bomi replied happily. “It’s nice to see you again, Mrs. Kang.”

“Two years is quite a long while,” Ms. Kang pointed out. She grabbed two menus and gestured to a nearby table. “Come, sit.” She regarded Chorong politely. “And your name is?”

“Park Chorong,” Chorong bowed respectfully. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“She’s my girlfriend,” Bomi said proudly.

Mrs. Kang lifted a brow in surprise. “Girlfriend, huh? So you’ve finally managed to settle down?”

“It’s more like she managed to settle me down,” Bomi joked, earning her a playful shove from Chorong.

Mrs. Kang chuckled and set the menus on the table as Bomi and Chorong sat down. “I’m glad. You’ve come here with so many women that I wasn’t sure if this would just be another one of your short affairs.”

“Did she now?” Chorong asked curiously, and Bomi intentionally avoided her gaze.

“Don’t worry, you’re the prettiest of them all,” Mrs. Kang said. “Where have you been, Bomi-ah? This restaurant hasn’t been the same without your weekly visits.”

“I’ve been away for work,” Bomi said. It wasn’t exactly a lie, but she couldn’t tell her why exactly she had been gone. Mrs. Kang didn’t know what Bomi truly did for a living; as far as she knew, Bomi was a free-spirited woman who often had to travel for work. “It was a long project, but I’m back to stay for now. I’ve dreamt of your budae jjigae everyday.”

“Of course you did. I would too,” Mrs. Kang said. “Well, I’m glad you’re back and that you’re happily seeing Chorong here. Bring Eunji-ah the next time you come. She doesn’t come in as often as she used too, and we miss her here too.”

“She’s been very busy with work too, but I will definitely bring her next time.”

“Then I’ll make sure you two are fed with enough food to fuel you for your work.” Mrs. Kang’s expression suddenly turned solemn, and Bomi knew what was coming next. “Eunji-ah told me about Yookyung-ah. I’m truly sorry, Bomi-ah. She was genuinely a bright soul, and I was deeply saddened to hear of her passing.”

From across the table, Chorong gently slid her hand over Bomi’s, and Bomi smiled gratefully at her girlfriend. Bomi didn’t ask, but she knew that Eunji wouldn’t have told Mrs. Kang about how Yookyung really died. Mrs. Kang probably believed that Yookyung had been involved in a fatal accident. “Thank you, Mrs. Kang.”

Mrs. Kang nodded and patted Bomi’s shoulder. “I’ll leave you be for a few minutes. Call me if you need anything, okay?”

After Mrs. Kang had left to speak with another customer, Chorong asked, “How did you two become so close?”

“This was one of my go-to restaurants with Yookyung and Eunji. We came here so often that we became closely acquainted with Mrs. Kang. She’s the owner. She and her family have been running this restaurant for a few centuries now.” Bomi looked around the restaurant in reminiscence. Nothing much had changed; it was still the small, cozy restaurant that Bomi had learned to love. The restaurant was far from fancy, but that’s what Bomi liked about it. It was comfortable and had the warm atmosphere of a home.

“Eunji-ah never told me about it.”

“She probably avoided it because it reminded her too much of Yookyung-ah,” Bomi murmured. That was why Bomi had avoided it, at least. As much as Bomi loved Mrs. Kang and her restaurant, for the longest time, Bomi hadn’t been able to bring herself to step foot inside the restaurant that held several of her precious memories with Yookyung. It had been two years since Bomi had last gone to this restaurant, and she felt like she had healed enough to enjoy a meal there without being overwhelmed with painful memories.

Still, as Bomi looked around the restaurant, images of her and Yookyung laughing at the booth in the corner of the restaurant, Yookyung snapping pictures of her food, and Yookyung happily enjoying her meal flashed before Bomi’s eyes. The memories nearly brought tears to her eyes, but cleared and returned her attention back to Chorong. “The budae jjigae here will change your life.”

“I’ll hold you to that,” Chorong replied, then suddenly looked up from the menu. “Eunji-ah?”

Bomi turned around and sure enough, Eunji and Naeun were walking through the door of the restaurant. They immediately looked at Bomi and Chorong with an equal amount of shock. They looked a bit ruffled from the wind, as though they had just taken a long walk outside.

“Bbom-ah, I wouldn’t have expected to see you here,” Eunji said as she and Naeun approached their table.

“I could say the same for you.”

“This place is special,” Eunji said carefully, like she was avoiding some words. “I haven’t been here in a while, and I wanted Naeun to try it.”

“Seems like we both had the same idea,” Bomi said. “So how was your big date? Was it everything you’ve ever dreamed of?”

Naeun was about to reply, but she was cut off by a squeal from Mrs. Kang, “Eunji-ah! It’s been so long!”

Eunji’s face immediately broke into a wide smile, and she moved to embrace Mrs. Kang. “It’s been too long. It’s nice to see you again, Mrs. Kang.”

“I’m glad to see you looking so healthy,” Mrs. Kang beamed. “Bomi-ah, when I told you to bring Eunji-ah sometime, I didn’t expect you to do it so soon.”

“It seems that we’ve both just missed you and your cooking so much,” laughed Bomi.

“It brings me so much joy to finally see you two here together again. I’ll make sure to slip in extra sausages for you two,” Mrs. Kang winked, then she moved her gaze to the woman standing next to Eunji and her hand flew up to . “Oh my. Princess Naeun?”

Naeun smiled softly and bowed. “It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Kang.”

“Oh my,” the older woman gasped. “What are you doing? Don’t bow to me, Princess! How terribly rude of me. I should have greeted you immediately―”

“Please, Mrs. Kang,” Naeun politely cut in. “There’s no need for that. Just treat me as one of your normal customers.”

“Ah, of course. My apologies,” Mrs. Kang said. “If I may ask, how have you come into the acquaintance of the princess, Eunji-ah?”

“Through work. I’ve become something like her bodyguard,” Eunji answered simply. It wasn’t exactly a lie, but it also wasn’t the whole truth.

“I see. Oh, what am I doing? I’ll get you two seated right away. Please choose anywhere to sit.”

Eunji and Naeun looked around the restaurant while Bomi and Chorong shared a knowing glance. Just from that one brief glance, Bomi and Chorong understood each other.

“Would you two like to join us?” Chorong offered.

“We wouldn’t want to intrude,” Eunji said.

“It’s no problem,” Bomi said. “The more the merrier, right? Plus, this way we can order more and not feel too guilty about it.”

“I like the idea of that,” Naeun replied. She and Eunji briefly locked eyes, and it seemed like they had reached a mutual agreement. “We’d love to join you.”

“Perfect. I’ll move a table over,” Mrs. Kang said and got to work right away. Eunji and Naeun helped her slide a table next to Bomi and Chorong’s table, while the other two women obtained two other chairs. When they finished, Mrs. Kang brought over two extra menus and told them, “I’ll give you a few moments to decide.”

Eunji fondly watched Mrs. Kang walk away. “I’ve really missed this place.”

“Me too,” Bomi replied. “What are the odds that we’d end up here at the same time?”

“Given our tendencies, I wouldn’t be too surprised.”

Bomi shrugged. “True.”

“I’m sorry we interrupted your date,” Naeun apologized as she took her seat.

“It’s fine. We don’t mind the company,” Chorong said and Bomi nodded in agreement. “Besides, it’s like Bbom-ah said. We can order more food now.”

“If anything, we’re sorry for abruptly asking you to sit with us. I know today was a special day meant just for the two of you.” Suddenly, Bomi felt guilty. How had she forgotten that Eunji and Naeun were on the date that they had been planning for months?

Thankfully, neither Eunji nor Naeun showed no signs of disappointment or discomfort. They looked completely at ease and content.

“Let’s just agree to stop apologizing for crashing each others’ dates, alright?” Eunji said lightly. “We’re happy you two are here. We can think of this as our first double date.”

“We can cross that off my list,” Naeun chimed in excitedly.

“See?” Eunji grinned. “Now let’s order. I’m hungry.”

Bomi was about to flip through the menu, but Naeun suddenly stood up and exclaimed, “Namjoo-ah!”

For the second time, Bomi found herself whirling around to find another one of her teammates walk through the doors of the restaurant. Namjoo immediately spotted them, and her jaw dropped in shock. Bomi expected her to run over to them, but Namjoo stood by the door, holding it open. A few moments later, Hayoung stepped inside the restaurant, replying heavily on her crutches. Namjoo gestured to Bomi and the others, and Hayoung’s eyes widened in surprise but quickly became filled with confusion.

“Weren’t you supposed to be on your big date, Eunji and Naeun-unnie?” Hayoung asked. Eunji hurriedly brought a chair over so Hayoung could sit.

“We still are,” Eunji said. “We just coincidentally met Bbom-ah and Chorong-unnie here. We spontaneously decided to eat together.”

“Why don’t you two join us as well?” Chorong suggested.

Namjoo and Hayoung briefly looked at each other before Namjoo said, “We’d love to.”

“What, are we interrupting your date?” Bomi teased.

Again, Namjoo and Hayoung shared a glance. Immediately, Bomi caught on and lifted her brows in interest. Everyone else around the table also shifted their full attention towards the awkward duo that had just arrived.

“Namjoo-unnie and I can do something afterwards,” Hayoung said.

Hayoung didn’t directly answer Bomi’s question, but her indirect reply made it clear enough. Everyone around the table smirked, as though they had all been waiting impatiently for something like this to happen.

“Well, it’s about time,” Eunji grinned, and both Namjoo and Hayoung blushed. While Chorong helped Namjoo pull over another table, Bomi went to tell Mrs. Kang that their party size had increased again. When Bomi returned, Namjoo was helping Hayoung into her seat while Chorong moved her crutches to the side.

Bomi paused and watched for a moment. No one seemed to notice her; they were all speaking to each other without a worry in the world. An odd warm feeling blossomed in her chest, and a smile touched her lips. It was a perfect picture, but it also felt somehow surreal. A few months ago, they were all facing a battle that could have very easily resulted in their deaths―which, for some, it almost did―but now they were all laughing around a table without the danger of possibly being ambushed at any second. The chances of them all making it out of the mission alive had been very low, and Bomi thanked all the gods out there for making it a reality. They had all hurt, healed, and grown, but they were all still gathered around the table together. To Bomi, that was a sign of how strong and unbreakable their newly forged bonds were.

“Bbom-ah, why are you just standing there?” Chorong questioned. Her voice lured Bomi back to reality, and Bomi rejoined her teammates at the table.

“Isn’t it funny?” Namjoo asked. “Eunji-unnie, Bomi-unnie, and I were all helping each other get ready earlier today. Who would have thought that we’d end up at the same restaurant.”

“The universe has funny ways of making things happen, but I don’t particularly mind this one,” Eunji said.

“In a way, this could be the universe telling us that no matter what paths we take or how far we diverge, we will always be together in the end,” Bomi murmured a bit absentmindedly. Her mind had wandered off elsewhere, and when it returned from its daydreams, Bomi blinked and found her teammates staring at her curiously.

“Everyone seems to be taking after me,” Eunji said. “You all seem so well-spoken now.”

“Everyone’s improving, but no one is near your level of philosophical metaphors and advice,” Naeun chuckled.

“You should write some songs,” Hayoung encouraged. “I think you’d make some really meaningful lyrics.”

“She has before,” Bomi said. “And you’re right; she does write some really meaningful lyrics. She has the voice to match, too.”

“You sing, Unnie?” Hayoung gasped. Namjoo and Naeun also looked surprised.

“I used to. Music used to be one of my favorite hobbies until I got too busy with work.”

“How come I’ve never heard you sing?” Naeun asked.

“I still do, but just not as much. You probably just haven’t caught me at the right place or time. You’ve definitely heard me humming or singing softly before though.”

“I’d like to hear your real voice one day,” Namjoo marveled. 

“It’ll be a treat, I’m telling you. If Eunji-ah was in a Kpop group, she’d be the main vocalist,” Bomi said confidently, and she smiled when Eunji gave her an exasperated look. Eunji never really sang in front of anyone, but Bomi had known Eunji for practically her whole life. She’d heard Eunji belt out seemingly impossible notes with no effort at all. If Eunji wasn’t a secret agent, Bomi honestly thought that she could make it as a singer. 

“If you guys want meaningful lyrics, just ask Chorong-unnie,” Eunji sighed, effectively shifting the direction of conversion towards Chorong. “Our stonecold leader is surprisingly good at loading a single line with emotion.”

“I’m not stonecold,” Chorong muttered.

“Since when did you write songs?” Bomi asked.

“It’s more like a hobby. I haven’t written anything for a long time since I haven’t had the time or the inspiration,” Chorong explained. “It’s been so long that I’ve probably lost my touch.”

“I think you’ll find that you have both the time and inspiration to write songs now,” Hayoung said with a very obvious glance at Bomi.

“I would like an original song for my birthday,” Namjoo said. “Written by Chorong-unnie and sung by Eunji-unnie.”

“And choreographed by Bbom-ah,” Eunji added with a touch of a devious smile.

“I didn’t realize that we were exposing each other,” Bomi murmured.

“You dance?” Chorong asked.

“I used to,” Bomi answered. “It’s just a hobby, and like you guys, I haven’t really been able to do it lately.”

“It seems that we’re learning something new about everyone today,” Naeun commented.

“What I’m gathering is that in another life, we probably would have made a pretty good Kpop group,” said Namjoo.

“We’d still be a team in that other life?” Hayoung wondered.

“I can’t really imagine a life without you guys constantly by my side,” Namjoo replied, and Bomi agreed. It seemed impossible how close they had gotten in such a short amount of time; they had all met a little under a year ago, and yet it seemed like they had all formed lifelong bonds with each other.

“I can’t either,” Bomi said. She took Chorong’s hand and gently squeezed it. Across the table, Eunji did the same thing to Naeun. Namjoo’s hand shifted somewhere under the table, and Bomi suspected that she was holding Hayoung’s hand, which was under the table as well. They all smiled warmly at each other in silent confirmation: none of them could imagine a life without each other.

When Bomi had joined the team, she had been running from the shadows of her past. She had been expecting to be strictly professional with her team and not form and ties so she could easily leave when their job was done. The fact that she had even thought like that was laughable. She had come to love her team, and they had helped her do what she had once thought was impossible: heal.

Instead of running away from the shadows of her past, her shadows were just that: shadows. They followed her everywhere she went, just like everyone’s past, but there was no need to run from them. They no longer haunted her; rather, they were reminders of the hardships that Bomi had gone through in order to shape herself into the person that she was today. Although those times were excruciating, they couldn’t just be erased like they had never happened in the first place. And so Bomi had learned to live them, those shadows of her past that would always be with her.

Chorong laced their fingers together, and Bomi smiled at her girlfriend. Her shadows were behind her, but her future was right in front of her. And as Bomi looked around the table at her teammates who were all laughing freely without the weight of the world burdening their shoulders, she got the feeling that she would want to take this one slow. 

There would be no running away this time.

-End-


And with that, we have finally reached the end of this story. I would really like to thank each and every single one of you for your continuous support -- it really encouraged me to keep going. I never thought that I would actually see this story through to the end (there were many points where I just wanted to quit), but I'm glad that I did. It's been a fun ride, everyone. Thanks for reading and happy (late) new year!!