The Wall Falls

Shadows

“Oh, you brought a friend this time!” Seungri commented as Eunji, Chorong, and Bomi entered the interrogation room. He grinned maliciously at Bomi. “I’m so glad to see you alive.”

“I can’t say the same about you,” Bomi replied coolly. She crossed the room and slammed the folder she’d been holding onto the table. She hadn’t been expecting to do that, but the moment she laid her eyes on Seungri, a deep, boiling hatred bubbled in her gut and she couldn’t help but feel the need to punch, slam, or slap something.

“Did they bring you in for backup because they couldn’t get me to talk? Well, I’d hate to break it to you, but someone I’ve seen on the brink of death is hardly someone who could frighten me.”

“That’s not why she’s here,” Eunji said coldly.

“Then why?”

“We’ll be asking the questions here,” Chorong uttered and took the position right across from Seungri.

In truth, Bomi had asked Chorong and Eunji if she could accompany them in the interrogation. She had to see something for herself. Well, that and because she also wanted to see Seungri crack.

It was difficult to believe that someone like Seungri, a ruthless member of the Shadow Clan who had tried to kill her, had a wife and daughter. When Hayoung and Namjoo had told the team of their findings, Bomi had found it difficult to process the information and its implications. Although it provided them the weapon that they needed to break Seungri, it complicated the whole situation, because now they had to consider what would happen to his family. If he had gone through such drastic measures to keep them safe, then they were likely innocent civilians, and as much as Bomi hated Seungri, she could not bring herself to allow any harm to come to his family. She hated that it made Seungri seem more like a human and less like a monster.

“What could you have possibly found that makes you think would break me?” Seungri leaned back in his chair with a cocky smile. “Enlighten me.”

“Kwan Mansoo,” Chorong said. “Does that name ring a bell?”

There it was. The first slip of many. Something flashed in Seungri’s eyes, but he kept his cocky smile on his face. “Who?”

“Minji and Yerin,” Chorong continued. “How about those?”

“I have no idea what you’re going on about,” Seungri said, but Bomi could very clearly see the fear slowly creeping into his eyes.

Eunji put both hands down onto the table and leaned forward. “Kwan Mansoo is the owner of that chicken restaurant you frequently text about. You know, the place whose spicy chicken you’re always craving? You must know. We traced a bank account that constantly sends a large sum of money to Mansoo, and it unsurprisingly led back to you.”

“Yerin is a 28-year-old woman who works as a baker in a small shop near her home,” Chorong took over. “Every day after work, she takes an extra coconut almond twist and walks to Trinity Elementary School to pick up her daughter, Minji. The coconut almond twist is Minji’s favorite pastry, and Yerin always remembers to bake an extra for her. She’s a cute little one, Minji. She’s smart too. She always gets the best scores in her class.”

Seungri’s smug grin had disappeared. For the first time since his capture, Seungri looked scared. “How do you know this?”

“The same way as you,” Chorong shrugged. “By watching through a dozen monitors in the back of a chicken restaurant.”

All color drained from Seungri’s face. He said nothing.

“Well, we also asked around the area,” Eunji added. “It’s quite contradictory, don’t you think? To be dodging our questions to remain loyal to your Clan while at the same time trying desperately to hide your family from them?”

“Don’t touch them,” Seungri growled. “Don’t you dare.”

“Oh, don’t worry, we won’t,” Chorong said. “But I can’t say the same about your Clan.”

Seungri stared at them with wide, fearful eyes. Beads of sweat had begun forming on the top of his forehead. This was no longer a slip; Seungri had cracked. It wasn’t nearly as satisfying as Bomi had thought it would be.

“Please,” Seungri pleaded in a voice that Bomi had never heard from him before. “Please don’t let them touch my family. They haven’t done anything wrong. They aren’t a part of the Clan. They’re innocent!”

“And you? Are you innocent?” Eunji asked.

“You know damn well that I’m not,” Seungri answered. “But my family―they wouldn’t harm an ant even if they had to. They have nothing to do with this. Please, they’re all I have.”

Again, Bomi wondered how in the world someone like Seungri had a loving family. She had so many questions, like how did his wife and daughter feel about his profession, or how could he bear to do what he did when he had a family to go home to? But they weren’t particularly important for their purpose, so she refrained from asking.

“How about this? You tell us what we want to know, and we’ll see what we can do about protecting your family,” Eunji proposed.

Seungri’s face twisted into a sour look, but he conceded, “Fine.”

Eunji glanced at Bomi with a subtle look of accomplishment, and Bomi gave her a small nod of acknowledgment. Bomi waited for Chorong to cast her a look as well, but to her disappointment, she didn’t. Nevertheless, they had done it. Seungri had finally cracked, after countless failed interrogations and late nights staring at reports until the words had begun to jumble together on the paper.

Chorong and Eunji launched into a series of questions, and Seungri reluctantly answered every single one. Bomi stood slightly back, vigorously jotting down notes of everything that was being said.

They got Seungri to reveal the details of the Shadow Clan’s base―or their lack of a base. They had always suspected that the Shadow Clan never had a permanent base, since they had always appeared out of nowhere and disappeared into thin air, but it was nice to finally have it confirmed. The Shadow Clan was split into different groups, each of and within differing levels of a hierarchy. At the bottom were the ones that Bomi considered the lackeys; they just followed orders and showed up when they had to. Above them were the ones that participated in leading and planning the meetings, which was done by sending codes through texts, letters, or personal visits. Above all of them was the sole leader of the Clan, whose face or identity was known to no one, because they always wore a mask.

The leader never showed up to the small meetings and would only show up to the really important ones, which made it more difficult to track them down and capture them. According to Seungri, the only real way to dismantle the Clan was to kill the leader, because without them, they would all just be a disorganized mess of followers with no direction.

Begrudgingly, Seungri admitted that the next meeting would be in three days in a small abandoned gas station. The leader would not be there, because they had no reason to be, but Bomi knew that her team would still ambush that meeting.

By the end of ten minutes, Bomi had written nearly five pages of notes, and her hand throbbed from the rigorous writing. It seemed that Chorong and Eunji had finished asking the general questions, because once Seungri finished speaking, Chorong and Eunji both leaned back with satisfied smirks. 

Eunji glanced at Bomi, then back at Seungri. Without even thinking, Bomi knew what Eunji was about to do. 

“Is Hong Yookyung truly dead?” Eunji asked.

Seungri looked at her with tired eyes. It looked as though his soul had been out of him. “What?”

“That video of her in the cell―was it fake?”

“Don’t you already know the answer to that?”

“I want to hear it from you.”

Exasperatedly, Seungri relented, “The video was fake. We never saved Yookyung from dying. She was burned alongside all of her other teammates.”

Bomi had already known that the video had been fake; it had taken her a few days to come to terms with it, but she had done it. Seungri’s confirmation was an assurance that Bomi hadn’t known that she needed, and she loved Eunji for recognizing that before she even had. Next to her, Chorong reached for Bomi’s hand and squeezed it―a silent comfort. She looked at the leader, but the leader remained staring straight ahead. Bomi squeezed Chorong’s hand back, a sudden warmth spreading across her chest.

Looking past Chorong, Bomi made eye contact with Eunji, who gave her a small smile. Then her eyes fell to Bomi’s and Chorong’s interlocked hands, and she quickly pulled her attention back to Seungri. “What did you want from Bomi?”

“I proposed a trade to her.”

For the first time in a while since they entered the interrogation room, Bomi spoke, “Then why did you try to kill me? It makes no sense. Why would you claim to want to use me to get to the princess, then attempt to kill me?”

“I wanted to scare you a little,” Seungri said. “I will admit that it went a bit too far.”

Subconsciously, Bomi put a hand on her side, where the fresh scar of her stab-wound was. “I know your leader wants something from me. A few weeks back, when two of your men captured me, they claimed that they were waiting for your leader to arrive. You said that your leader only appears for very important occasions, so what about me made that occasion very important?”

“That’s beyond me,” answered Seungri. “I don’t know everything that’s going on in the Clan.”

“I feel as though you should know this one, especially since you tried to kill me.” Bomi urged further. “Your leader sent another man to tell me something. He told me that someone had found me and that I would be getting a message from him soon. Your Clan sent two men after me, another man to send me a message, and then a letter addressed specifically to me. Don’t tell me that your leader doesn’t want something from me when all the evidence is right there.”

“Look, maybe our leader is actually out for you. I wouldn’t be surprised, given how many of our meetings you’ve disrupted and how many of our members you’ve killed. But that doesn’t mean that I know why they want you!”

“It seems that your leader isn’t very open about his plans with his supporters,” Bomi said.

“That’s not surprising from someone who has never shown the face behind their mask.”

“Then why follow them?”

“Because we believe in their cause.”

“Does your family?”

“I told you,” Seungri said in a low growl, “Don’t involve them.”

Bomi looked to Chorong and Eunji, and they both shook their heads. Bomi sighed and took a step back. She had nothing else to ask Seungri.

But apparently Eunji still had some business with him. “One last thing.”

“What is it?” Seungri groaned.

“Do you know a man in your clan with one eye?” Eunji asked, and Bomi’s eyes widened.

Bomi hadn’t thought about Seungri about the One-Eyed Man; somehow, it had slipped her mind. She had spent so long tracking him down and vowing to her deceased teammates that she would find him, yet she hadn’t considered using this grand opportunity to gain some information on him. She felt utterly ashamed of herself for that, yet at the same time, she was grateful that Eunji had brought it up.

To her disappointment, there was no spark of recognition in his eyes. He just returned Eunji’s question with a confused expression. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Eunji pursed her lips and pressed on, “A man with one eye. He probably has a bad scar on one eye.”

“I told you, I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Eunji lingered for a second longer, but she eventually shook her head and stepped back from the table. It was clear that they wouldn’t be getting anything else out of Seungri today. She fell into line with Bomi, and Bomi reached over and gripped her friend’s hand. Eunji looked at her, and Bomi said soundlessly the words, Thank you. Eunji gave a small nod and smiled in response.

Chorong also stepped back from the table. “It appears that we are done here. Thank you for your cooperation.”

Bomi, Chorong, and Eunji began heading towards the door when Seungri shouted, “Wait! You’ll stay true to your word, right? My family will be safe?”

Bomi turned and just stared at Seungri. She wanted this man to get everything that he deserved, but if it meant his family getting hurt, she could not wish that upon him. She could never wish harm upon innocent people.

“Please, I don’t care what happens to me. Just keep them safe,” Seungri said out of desperation.

Next to Bomi, Chorong clenched her jaw. It seemed like she was having the same conflict as Bomi was.

“Your family will be safe. That I can assure you,” Chorong promised. “But I cannot make the same assurance for you.”

Seungri relaxed in his seat, despite Chorong’s last statement. This man had such undying love for his family, and if he hadn’t been a member of the Shadow Clan, Bomi would have admired him for it. But he was, and nothing could change that fact about him. 

This man was her enemy and was someone she had sworn to protect her country against, and, loving family or not, Bomi would do everything she could to uphold her oath.


“How about we do something different tonight?” Naeun asked as Eunji took a giant scoop of ice cream.

“No ice cream?” Eunji said with these adorable puppy eyes that Naeun didn’t know were intentional or not.

“Yes ice cream,” Naeun said. “Always ice cream.” She stood and went to grab a coat, tossing Eunji one as well. “Come on, let’s go on a walk. I want to show you my favorite place.”

Eunji caught Naeun’s coat with one hand and put it on. “How is your favorite place not your bed?” 

“I have a lot of favorite places,” Naeun replied, picking up a blanket on her way to the door. “Let’s go.”

Naeun led her out into the hall, where she told her guards that she and Eunji were just going on a nightly stroll. The guards looked hesitant, but Eunji promised them that she would keep the princess safe―and in doing so, made Naeun’s heart skip a beat.

“So,” Eunji asked once they had left the presence of the guards. “Where are you taking me?”

“Do you trust me?”

“Of course I do.”

“Good, then be quiet and follow me.”

Eunji lifted her brows, but she didn’t protest; she just followed Naeun through the dark, peaceful halls. Their footsteps echoed off the walls and Naeun counted each of her steps as they continued. Just by the number she could anticipate when to turn, pass through a door, or climb a staircase. Of course, Naeun didn’t need to go by the number of steps to know where to go; she’d made this trip over a hundred times, and her legs could move by muscle memory now. After growing up in this huge palace with limited freedom to go out, Naeun had learned pretty much all of the ins and outs of the palace.

That was how after her three hundred seventy-eigth step, she knew that they had arrived. “Here we are,” Naeun announced, and let Eunji pass her to explore where she had taken her.

“Are we…”

“In the dome on the top of the palace?” Naeun finished for her. “Yes.”

Eunji ventured deeper into the small, round room. They’d had to climb several stairs and ladders to reach the dome, which was the highest point of the palace, but in Naeun’s opinion, it had been worth it. Moonlight washed in from the several arched windows that lined the walls of the dome. There was a large, circular opening in the floor that revealed a portion of the throne room below, its golden floors shining even in the darkness. The opening was blocked off by a sturdy fence, which Naeun leaned her back against as she watched Eunji circle the room in amazement. 

The older woman stared up at the interior of the great dome above her, marveling at the intricate designs and paintings that artists had labored to create centuries ago. Like much of the palace, the dome was lined with gold that shined and glinted with wealth. Despite the years of strenuous work that had gone into crafting the gold interior of the dome, it looked awfully dull next to Eunji, whose amazed, puppy-like eyes shined brighter than anything Naeun had seen before.

“Shouldn’t this be blocked off?” Eunji asked. 

“Not when you’re the princess,” Naeun said nonchalantly. She walked up to one of the windows, set down her ice cream and blanket, pulled the window’s lever, and pushed it open, letting the brisk night air float delicately inside. Her body moved naturally as she swung her leg over the window.

“Naeun-ah!” Eunji yelped as Naeun slid carefully onto the outside of the dome.

Naeun looked back and pressed a finger to her lips, hushing Eunji. “Don’t worry, it’s safe. Hand me the ice cream and blanket.”

Reluctantly, Eunji did as she was told, then cautiously climbed out the window to join Naeun. Once Eunji had settled down next to her, Naeun threw one side of the blanket around Eunji’s shoulder, keeping the other side around her own. They sat closely together, nestled against each other as they tried to stay warm in the chilly air. 

Naeun tried to ignore the thrill that she felt when Eunji huddled closer to her. “So why exactly did you bring me here?” Eunji questioned.

Naeun tilted her chin upwards. “Look in front of you.”

Eunji lifted her head―and all doubts slipped from her face. Naeun smiled and turned to take in the view before her. She had seen it countless times before, but it never got old.

The palace was situated in such a way that it sat at the edge of the capital city, practically hugging it from one side with its enormousness. Before her spanned the brilliant lights, busy streets, and tops of the plentiful greenery of her home city. Above them was the ethereal night sky, sprinkled with bright stars like it always was, and below them was the calm citylife of her people. This was where the heavens met the human world. This was where immortality met mortality.

“Growing up, I was never allowed to freely leave the palace,” Naeun explained. “I frequently explored the palaces in an attempt to quell my hyperactive mind, and one night, I fell upon this beauty. Once I laid my eyes on this view, I knew that this was the closest I would get to seeing the city―and country―that I’m supposed to be the queen of. I would just sit here, watching my people go about their business, and wonder how I was ever supposed to be their queen if I had never experienced what one of their normal days was like. If I’m going to be their queen, shouldn’t I know at the very least what’s going through their minds? So I would sit here and try to picture myself on those streets, in that taxi, in that store, and in that restaurant.” Naeun turned to Eunji with a shy smile. The other woman was watching her with gentle eyes. “Isn’t it kind of sad?”

“No,” Eunji replied softly. “I think it’s kind of beautiful.”

Naeun chuckled quietly. “Beautifully sad.”

“Take it as you will,” Eunji said. She tugged the blanket tighter across her chest and gazed forward. “You’d make a great queen, Naeun-ah.”

“A queen whose people rarely ever see her?”

“You do enough within the palace for them to know that you’re not just hiding. They know you’re trying, I promise. I know you’re trying. You’re doing the best you can given your circumstances.”

“I’d rather be out there with them.”

“A safe queen is better than a dead one,” Eunji said, and Naeun couldn’t argue with that logic. 

For a few moments, they just sat in silence, taking in the city before them. It was a cold night, but with her thick blanket and Eunji next to her, it was bearable. Pleasant, actually.

“I would like to know,” Eunji said after a while, “How exactly did you manage to find this place without raising the alarm of all the guards in the palace? They definitely wouldn’t have allowed you up here, especially when you were a kid.”

“I was a pretty slippery child,” Naeun answered simply. “After years of living in this giant palace, you learn how to sneak your way around.”

“Huh,” Eunji uttered. “Well, this certainly beats my spot.”

“Your spot?”

“I also have a spot that I like to go to when I need to think,” Eunji explained. “It’s a little bay window overlooking the palace garden. It’s nowhere near this cold and dangerous, but it’s also nowhere near this nice.”

“You’re welcome to come up here whenever you want,” Naeun offered.

“Thank you, Princess,” the other woman said. “But that spot’s kind of special to me. As bland as it is in comparison to this, it will always be my place of comfort.”

“I see,” said Naeun, trying to ignore her subtle disappointment.

“I wouldn’t be opposed to joining you up here every now and then, though.”

“I wouldn’t be opposed to that either.”

Eunji placed her bowl of ice cream down next to her and scooched closer to Naeun. “How about this? I’ll convince your parents and the palace guards to let you accompany me outside the palace gates every now and then. I can take you to those streets, on that taxi ride, to that store, and to that restaurant. I hardly live an ordinary life, but I can help you experience it as best I can. I guess we can experience it together.”

Naeun looked at Eunji and saw that she was dead serious. Suddenly she didn’t feel so cold anymore. She felt giddy inside and her cheeks felt warm, and she hoped that it was dark enough to hide the redness in her cheeks. It hurt knowing that Eunji was in love with Chorong, but she didn’t want to think about that at the moment. She wanted this to be just between her and Eunji. She wanted to allow herself to be happy, no matter how much she’d have to lie and ignore the truth.

So Naeun leaned her head on Eunji, nestling it in the space between her neck and her shoulder, and closed the blanket over them.

“I’d like that,” Naeun said. “I really would.”