Chapter 2

Emergency Landing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Minju freezes on the spot after hearing the soldier’s statement. She looks around the area carefully. She refuses to believe the soldier.

“That’s impossible. This is a joke right?”

Chaewon stays mute.

“I mean, where am I even?”

Chaewon crosses her arms.

“You are in the North Korean border of the demilitarized zone,” Chaewon says.

Minju looks around her.

“Then it means if I run, I’d be back in South Korea?” Minju asks.

Chaewon stares at her.

“I’m a fast runner. I’m pretty sure I can go back to my country without anyone knowing I’m here.”

Minju prepares to run. She turns around and sprints away from the soldier. Chaewon’s quite taken aback but reaches out for her gun and aims.

“Halt!”

Minju doesn’t stop. Chaewon catches up to her.

“Stop, that's a minefield!” Chaewon screams.

Minju pauses just as she reaches the middle of the water stream. She looks back to see Chaewon approaching her with a gun. She raises her arms out of fear.

“You can’t get through that without an expert like me,” Chaewon says.

She slowly approaches Minju. As she’s about to reach Minju, she feels something under her left foot. Chaewon stops and looks below. 

“What’s wrong?” Minju asks.

Chaewon doesn’t say anything. She proceeds to take out her radio. 

“This is Falcon, I’m in need of rescue at the east of the demilitarized zone,” Chaewon says.

Trying to regain her composure, Chaewon stands up straight. However, with an unbalanced stance due to her immobilized left foot she drops her radio. She winces seeing it drop on the middle of the stream. Minju picks it up right after someone responds.

“Now pass it over slowly,” Chaewon commands.

Minju shakes her head.

“I would be in big trouble if someone else sees me here,” Minju says.

“You won’t be able to go through the woods,” Chaewon replies back.

“I’ll take my chances,” Minju bravely says.

Chaewon gulps but doesn’t show this to Minju.

“I have a gun,” Chaewon says.

“And I’m the only one who can help you with that.”

Minju points at the mine under Chaewon’s feet. Chaewon rubs her forehead. She looks back to Minju with a straight face.

“At least leave the radio behind,” Chaewon says.

Minju ponders. She skips towards Chaewon and leaves the radio a foot away from her.

“The water will wash it towards you a bit, I also need time to escape. Now which way is it South?” Minju demands.

“Run straight down the rocky path and then turn right,” Chaewon answers.

Minju examines Chaewon’s face.

“Are you saying the truth?”

“I already gave you my answer so pick one for your own,” Chaewon says instead.

Minju nods her head and turns around. She skips her way until she reaches the bank. She looks behind to see Chaewon one last time.

“I’m going to say this once, since we won’t meet again. You look really pretty just to be a soldier,” Minju says.

Chaewon can only stare as Minju’s figure disappears through the woods. A few seconds later a voice calls for Chaewon, it's Ryujin's. 

“Here,” Chaewon shouts.

Ryujin comes out from the grass field.

“Give me my radio,” Chaewon orders.

Ryujin picks it up for her captain. Chaewon takes it and gives her team an order.

“Arrest any woman you see suspicious in the area. Don’t terminate her,” Chaewon commands.

After giving the order, Ryujin looks at Chaewon.

“What kind of trouble are you in?” Ryujin asks.

Chaewon looks down. Ryujin sees and nods her head finally realizing the situation her captain is in.

“Have you ever defused a mine?” Chaewon asks.

“It’s my expertise back in training, captain,” Ryujin bravely answers.

“That’s good,” Chaewon responds.

Ryujin defuses the mine as quickly as possible. Chaewon lifts her left foot and releases a sigh of relief. 

“Go south east, catch anyone suspicious. I’ll go here,” Chaewon commands.

Ryujin nods, she rushes towards the direction her commander ordered her. On the other hand, Chaewon follows the trail Minju ran off to. She’s a fast runner, her small build has a big contribution to it. She reaches the field overflowing with tall grasses. She sees her team already with their guns pointing at someone. Chaewon follows their trail of sight.

“Don’t shoot!” Chaewon commands.

Yena had already fired the shot. Chaewon breathed out when the soldier missed. Yena, Chaeyeon, and Hyewon immediately drop their weapons. The three look behind to face their commander.

Chaewon looks on in disbelief when she sees Minju run towards the unchecked minefield without fear. She squints as she knows that Minju is about to step on a mine. She lets out a sigh of relief when Minju skips over it.

“What do we do?” Yena asks.

“You three go over the left clear side, I’ll go right,” Chaewon says.

The 5 of them try to run and catch Minju. Hyewon was the first to be near Minju. She tries to warn her not to climb over the fence. However, with Yena’s gun pointing at her she runs towards it in fear instead.

Chaewon, who is blocked by a tall fence, could only watch from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter