Chapter 1

Emergency Landing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tires squeal as Kim Minju’s car comes to a halt. In her casual clothes, Minju, enters the lobby with finesse. Hospital staff who pass by her respectfully greets her. She makes sure to greet them back with a warm smile. Without wasting anymore time, she heads to her office to start her day.

"Director Kim, Doctor Jo is waiting in your office right now she said she would like to talk to you," Yuna, her secretary, informs Mnju upon seeing her. Minju doesn't remember setting up a meeting with Yuri this early, regardless she nods and enters her office. Like what Yuna had told her, Yuri is sitting across her desk and she doesn't seem too happy.

"Hey, Yuna said you wanted to talk?"

Yuri reluctanly stands up to greet her friend but also her boss but Minju is quick enough to stop her from doing so.

"It's weird for people to do that," Minju tells her.

"Well you're the director so I'm pretty sure people are meant to do that," Yuri kids her.

It gets a light chuckle from Minju.

"It's only been a week so I guess it's still new for me," Minju says. "Anyway, what are you going to tell me? It seems important," she adds.

Yuri nods slowly trying to think about how she'll tell Minju the new information she learned without causing stress. Before she could say anything though, Minju's phone rang. The hospital director looks at Yuri to excuse herself so she could answer it..

"Hello?" Minju reluctantly asks. 

The number is unregistered and there is an inclination that she wouldn't like what the person on the other line will say.

"Good morning my dear sister," Mingyu greets her cockily.

Minju rolls her eyes as an instinctive response. Her brothers can bring out the worst of her with just a simple greeting. It's a wonder really, but then she recalls how wicked they are and it just clicks.

"Congratulations on the promotion."

"Your crongratulatory is delayed as usual," Minju says to him.

"Don't get too cocky on me little sister."

"Cut it Mingyu, why did you call?" 

"Father's release from the hospital would be today. There will be a family dinner in the estate tonight and he wants you to come."

Minju's jaw clenches at the word family, it's so foreign to hear something like that from him or any of her siblings. Her chest feels heavy but she keeps her composure. She's done dealing with them.

"I'll think about it."

Minju ends the call herself. Weakened, she returns to her seat. She gives Yuri a weak yet assuring smile when she sees the worried look on the surgeon's face.

“Is it the stupid one?” Yuri asks.

Minju massages her temple.

“No, it’s the jerk,” Minju replies. 

“I see,” Yuri says.

“Father will be released tonight. I’m guessing he’ll be deciding who'll be the new CEO too. Mingyu says that father wants me to come,” Minju shares.

When Yuri doesn't seem surprised she figures that this is what her friend meant to tell her before Mingyu called. She pours herself a cup of tea hoping that it would ease her somehow. It doesn't.

“You should come.  Your father invited you in the first place,” Yuri says.

Minju nods reluctantly.

“I should, right? I should congratulate his release,” Minju convinces herself.

“Who knows you might be the new chairman too,” Yuri teases.

Minju shakes her head.

“I doubt that,” Minju sighs.

Yuri simply shrugs and finally leaves her friend to herself. Minju slumps on the table as Yuri’s figure disappears. She sighs and clutch her head. She knows tonight will be one of her worst nightmare coming to life. 

It’s been a while since she’s been on the estate, 5 years to be exact. Minju’s stance is still and composed, just like how she practiced. This is how she’s used to meeting her investors and staff. The click of her heels fills the room. All eyes turn on her. It seems like both her brothers are in a heated situation before she came in. She slowly walks towards her father, stopping in front of him. She diligently bows while ignoring the glare Mingyu and Minhyuk’s sending.

“It’s nice to see you finally released father. I''m hoping you feel better,” Minju politely says. 

Minho smiles warmly upon seeing his youngest child.  

“It's been a while since I saw you, Minju. You should move back in,” Minho says.

Minju pauses, taken aback by what he had said. He had always been warm to her no matter how cruel her siblings or her stepmother have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter