That Cute Bear

There’s Something About You That Makes Me Calm

슬린

 

“Babe, are you still in the hospital?”

 

“Yes, my co-workers and i are still here. My boss just called, saying it’s okay for us to just go home directly after this instead of going back to office.”

 

“Ah i see. Then it means you’re free now?”

 

“Yeah, Jieun is already sleeping now and soon we will all leave the hospital.”

 

“Poor Jieun-ssi. I hope she will recover quickly.”

 

“Yeah, i hope for the same thing. Office is quite boring without her.” The woman softly sighed.

 

“Haha i understand that. After all, she’s like one of your closest-kindest officemates. By the way, i will have a company dinner today. I didn’t know you will be nearby and so i said yes to the invitation. However you’re here now. I can’t let you go back to your apartment alone. Should i ditch my friends?” The man said suggestively. 

 

“Yaah, no need. I can manage on my own. Don’t worry about me.”

 

“No babe, i surely will choose you over anything else. Or.. how about, you join the dinner? I already asked my friends and they are all okay with it.”

 

“Well.. you really sure it will be okay if i join?”

 

“100%!”

 

“Then.. okay i guess.”

 

“Good! I’ll pick you up at 6, okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

“See you soon, Irene.”

 

“Yeah, see you soon, Suho.”

 

***

 

(Irene’s POV)

 

Suho said he’s already here. So i bid goodbye to my friends and rushed out.

 

I saw a familiar black car waiting in the lobby, so i quickly open the passenger door and hop in. 

 

“Hi, babe.” Suho leaned in to give me a peck on my cheek.

 

“Hi.” I smiled sweetly at him and kiss his cheek.

 

“Ready to go?” He grabs my left hand with his free hand and interlocked our fingers before he kiss the back of my hand. 

 

Sweet as always. 

 

I nodded.

 

“Yep. Let’s go.”

 

***

 

Honestly, i feel kind of nervous. Because i’m not really good in socializing with new people and blending in with them.

 

I’m a shy-timid person by nature. An introvert. So it’s kind of scary for me to meet Suho’s officemates.

 

Well, actually i’ve met some of them. Like one or two of them. And Suho also usually like to share stories about what happened in his office. So despite never see them in person, it feels like i already know some of them from Suho’s stories. 

 

I didn’t tell Suho about my nervousness because i don’t want to disappoint him.

 

I know it will be rude if he decided to not come to this company dinner just because of a woman. 

 

And knowing him and his love for me, i know he would choose to spend his time with me instead of coming to the dinner. And i don’t want people to bad talking about his sudden absence.

 

So i said yes when he asked whether i want to join the dinner or not. It will be a win-win solution for him. 

 

So for his sake, i will try my best to blend in with his friends tonight.

 

“You can do it, Irene!” I gave a pep talk to myself one last time as i step out of Suho’s car.

 

***

 

We arrived in front of the fancy samgyupsal restaurant in Insadong.

 

Suho being the gentleman he is, he quickly walked few steps in front of me to hold the door open for me. 

 

I smiled at him and say my thank you. 

 

Soon he catches up with me and smile widely when he spots his friends. 

 

“Yo, guys!” He waved his hand toward a group of men on our right. Well, there’s one woman there actually among the men. And i instantly know who she is. 

 

Suho once told me that in his department, there’s only one female staff while the rest are male. So that must be her, Seulgi. 

 

Suho said Seulgi is pretty cool and slightly boyish. She has a laid back personality but still naturally caring because she is a woman. She’s kind to everyone and befriended everyone. And so, everyone likes her. In his department, they are all often referred Seulgi as the mother of the group.

 

I actually always feel curious about this infamous Seulgi. And now i can finally meet her in person. I feel a bit excited about this. 

 

“Oh Suho! You’re finally here.” One of the man said as he waved back excitedly to Suho.

 

Suho holds my hand and lead the way toward his friend’s table. 

 

“Hi, guys. Let me introduce you all to Irene, my girlfriend.” Suho beamed. 

 

“Hi everyone.” I shyly greet them but doesn’t forget to smile at them with my best smile.

 

“Whoaa, she’s indeed pretty like what you always brag to us, hyung!” One of the men said with a teasing smile, elbowing Suho.

 

“Shut up, Chanyeol. By the way Irene, this loud giant is Chanyeol.” Suho said to me as he looks back and forth between Chanyeol and me. 

 

I offered my right hand for a handshake which accepted by Chanyeol. 

 

One by one i greet Suho’s friend.

 

Until my eyes meet this pure yet sparkling eyes that look at me with what i think is excitement?

 

“Hi, Irene unnie. I’m Seulgi. Kang Seulgi.” She stretched out her hand and offered me her right hand first.

 

I grab her hand and give it a light squeeze. 

 

Compare to the other hands that i held earlier, her hand is the softest and the warmest. Well maybe because she is a woman. Unlike men’s hand that usually rough. 

 

“Hi, Seulgi-ssi. Nice to meet you.” I replied as i look into her eyes and smile. 

 

She smiles back at me, her eyes curved into crescents and my breath suddenly hitched. 

 

“Yah!” Suho’s loud voice surprised me, and i subconsciously retreated my hand from Seulgi’s hold. 

 

“You called her unnie while you never called me with oppa?! Irene has the same age with me!” Suho playfully complained to Seulgi.

 

“Well, you never acted like an oppa to me, Suho-yah. So no, i won’t call you oppa until you can act like one!” Seulgi playfully jutted out her tongue and everyone laughed at her remark.

 

Everyone including me. 

 

Seulgi herself too laughed shortly after she said that. The sound of her laugh is so melodious? Is that the correct word to describe it? She has a melodious laugh. And a soft-beautiful voice when she speaks. I wonder how that voice would sound when she sings? Must be soothing to hear.

 

Now i suddenly feel better. 

 

My nervousness, my worries, are all gone.

 

 

Kang Seulgi huh?

 

I like this kid already. 

 

 

But much to my disappointment, my table and Suho’s are across from Seulgi’s table. 

 

Because Seulgi’s table is already full, Suho and i have to find another vacant table. 

 

And maybe because they want to give us some privacy and decided to huddled up together on one table instead. 

 

I thought i can talk to Seulgi more. So i can know more about her. But with us sitting behind different tables, having a talk is a bit difficult to do. 

 

I can only keep stealing glances at her from time to time because it’s very easy to do so.

 

I mean she sits right in front of me, facing me. I just try to be as subtle as possible. I don’t want her to think that i’m such a weirdo or what. 

 

From my observation, i found that,

 

1. She eats very well. 

 

She keeps on chewing with her full-almost exploded puffy cheeks. Just how cute is that.

 

2. She looks like a bear.

 

She seriously looks like a bear. Especially when she grins.

 

3. When she laughs too hard, she’ll tear up.

 

From my table, i can hear her laughter roaring along with the other men’s laughs from her table from time to time. God knows what are they talking about. 

 

Well.. I kinda envy them because they seem to have a lot of fun. I’m curious what are they talking about to make Seulgi laughed that hard. 

 

Because Seulgi is now clutching on her stomach with her redden face. She even cried! Hahaha how adorable. I subconsciously smiled seeing that. 

 

And guess Suho saw that. 

 

“Isn’t she adorable?” Suho chuckled as he following my eye line.

 

Shoot. I just get caught red-handed. 

This is embarrassing. 

 

“Ah yeah.. She is.” I quickly put up my poker face as i put a piece of meat into my mouth. 

 

“Babe, how old is Seulgi?” I pretend to be nonchalant as i asked him. 

 

“That brat.. She’s 3 years younger than us.” Suho answered. 

 

“Yet she acted like the mother in your group you said?” I raised my eyebrow in wonder. 

 

“Haha yeah, because she’s the only woman in our department i guess. And she always told us that boys will always be boys. And we always bring her headache by causing troubles, though most of the times it was trivial things. Like when we forget to put our cup back to the sink in pantry after we had a coffee. She will scold us for that. Or like when we’re leaving the paper we print on the printer just like that. Or when we didn’t finish on our meal and have leftovers. She nags a lot but she cares for us a lot too. Just like a mother.” He smiles. 

 

“Ah i see..”

 

And i can’t believe my luck. I got to witness this caring-motherlike side of Seulgi that Suho always said, this fast. 

 

We’re all done with the dinner. And one of Suho’s superior is currently queuing to pay the bills. 

 

From the corner of my eyes, i see Seulgi’s movement. 

 

 

You know what? Even the way she walks is cute. It’s like she’s gliding, not walking. Because the upper part of her body seems to unmoved as she walks.

 

She walks toward the cashier table, and grab a hand-sanitizer bottle that placed on there. She put some on her hands and rub it with her serious-full focus face as she read the printed instruction on how to apply the hand sanitizer correctly. 

 

Once she’s done, i see her approaching her friends, still with the bottle in her hand, she pours some of the liquid on her friends’ palm one by one. And all of them obediently waiting for their turn with their opened palm.

 

After done with all of her friends there, she walks toward my table. 

 

I thought she will offer the hand sanitizer to Suho, but much to my surprise, she walks to me and smiles.

 

“Unnie, want some?” She asked me with her soft-velvet like voice. 

 

“Uh? Ah..” I stupidly stuttered. “Sure. T-thanks.” I inwardly curse myself.

 

Way to embarrass yourself, Bae Irene!

 

Seulgi squeezed out some of the liquid on my palm. 

 

“Enough?” She asked me again. 

 

I don’t trust my voice right now. So i just nodded my head and smiled.

 

“Alrighty!” She cutely grinned, looking even more like a bear up close like this, before she averted her gaze from me to Suho who stands not too far behind me.

 

 

“Yo, gimme your hand.” She told Suho with her low-louder voice. It’s different with the voice she used on me earlier. 

 

She sounds playful this time. But i like this side of her as well. 

 

“Yes, mother. Thank you.” Suho playfully open his palms and bow deeply at Seulgi as his way to convey his gratefulness. 

 

Seulgi just chuckled at that. 

 

“You’re welcome, my son.” She replied as she gently pour the liquid on his palm. 

 

So fact number 4 about Seulgi.. she’s indeed a caring person. And quite persistent if i may add. 

 

It’s when we’re all going to leave the restaurant. Suho and his co-workers are going to take a picture together. 

 

Suho asked me if i want to join them or not. And of course i refused, saying it’s their company employee photo session. Why on earth would i join. 

 

So i decided to be the photographer instead, taking pictures for them. 

 

When i’m done taking the fourth picture, i suddenly hear my name being called. 

 

“Irene unnie!” Seulgi called as she strides toward me. 

 

“H-huh?” Bae Irene, get a grip of yourself! I reminded myself. 

 

“Let’s take one picture together with us.” She invited. 

 

“Uh.. i don’t think that will be necessary. I’m good. Don’t mind me.” I softly refused. 

 

“Oh c’mon, just one picture, unnie. Pretty please? I’m so tired to be the only woman in every picture we have. So please, unnie? Help me? I’m asking this as a favor from woman to woman?” She begged with her puppy eyes. Damn it. How can i say no to that now?!

 

“Uh— Fine then.” I finally agreed. 

 

“Yay!” Seulgi clapped her hands in excitement.

 

She wasted no time to grab my hand and pull me to join the group so we can take our picture. 

 

Seulgi then waved at one of the waitress, asking her help to take our picture. 

 

And Seulgi.. she didn’t let go of my hand as we take the picture. 

 

Maybe she doesn’t even realize it. But i do. And i know i should not make a big fuss out of it but i can’t ignore the warmth that coming from her soft-slightly bigger than mine-hand. 

 

It’s such a guilty pleasure for me to admit that i like the feeling of her hand wrapped around mine. 

 

***

 

Shortly after the photo session, we’re all standing outside the restaurant and ready to go on our separate ways. 

 

“See you next week in the office, Suho hyung.” Some of the men said to Suho. 

 

I know their name now. Baekhyun, Kai, Chanyeol, and Sehun. 

 

“See you next time, Irene-ssi.” They also bid their goodbye to me. 

 

I waved back at them and wish them to have a safe journey back home. 

 

Then i turned around, trying to look for Seulgi. 

 

How surprised i am when i found her stands right behind me. 

 

“Hi, unnie..OH! Sorry for surprising you!” Seulgi sheepishly apologized as she rubs her neck and quickly takes a step back away from me.

 

“Oh, i-it’s okay. It’s just i’m easily get surprised.” I said, trying to explain that it’s not something she should be apologize for. 

 

“Ah I see. Okay, so i’ll be going too, unnie. It was nice to meet you today. Hope we can meet again next time. Good night!” She bents her body slightly to give me a polite bow and waved her hand to Suho. 

 

“See you in the office on Monday, Suho!” 

 

“See you, Seulgi-yah! Take care!” Suho replied. 

 

With that, we took our separate ways. 

 

 

I wanted to ask for her contact, but i’m afraid she will think i’m such a creep. 

 

Because we’re literally just meet today. 

We barely even talk to each other. 

 

So i just can silently hope for me and her to meet again coincidentally one day. 

 

I hope our paths will crossed again. 

 

I hope the universe, with some unknown forces, will make that happen. 

 

 

You might be wondering why?

 

Why i seem to take a lot of interest on this cute woman named Kang Seulgi?

 

It’s simply because i think.. i’ve fallen for her charm. 

 

 

Now comes your second question,

 

Am i a lesbian? 

 

 

And third question,

 

If i am, why the heck i date Suho? A man.

 

 

Well here’s the answer for those questions..

 

I’m bi.

 

 

And sorry, Suho. I just can’t help it.

 

Call me whatever you like. But feelings can never be control.

 

Let’s just hope this whatever feelings i have for that bear, is a mere attraction, a mere adoration.

 

Let’s hope it won’t go any deeper than that. 

***

 

I think the universe is indeed rooting for us.

 

Because i finally meet Seulgi again.

 

Faster than i expected. 

 

 

Only around a week after the last time i met her in Suho’s company dinner.

 

I was driving by myself, wanting to buy some groceries because i almost run out of stock in my apartment. 

 

Then when my car was stopping in front of a traffic light, i saw a white maltese running wildly to the main road with no one near it. Maybe the owner lost their puppy. 

 

I was worried for the dog because soon surely the traffic light will turn to green, and many cars will speed up and might accidentally run over it. 

 

I was contemplating whether should i leave my car and save the puppy. But suddenly rain starts to pouring. 

 

“Damn it.” I cursed under my breath.

 

I let out a long sigh, readying myself.

 

I almost open my car’s door, ready for the rain to attack me, when suddenly i saw a woman running so fast chasing after the puppy. 

 

I sighed in relief when i saw her successfully lifted the puppy up and hold it in her protective embrace. 

 

Heol, the traffic light turned green now!

 

She has to run from there.

 

“It’s green! Run!” I tried to shout to the woman as loud as i can from my car as i roll down my car window open. 

 

But seems it’s too loud outside. I’m afraid she can’t hear me. 

 

The cara in the front row like mine surely can see what the woman’s trying to do. So they didn’t honk on her. 

 

But the cars behind are all honking impatiently when the front cars didn’t move when the traffic light changed. 

 

That woman seems to realize the situation now, so she quickly yet deeply bow at those cars, shouting her apology, before she runs so fast like a ninja (wow she’s pretty athletic) to the side of the road. 

 

Despite her drenching wet hair that covered half of her face, amazingly i still can recognize her when she runs passed my car.

 

“Seulgi..?” That name so naturally rolled out of my tongue. 

 

I immediately pulled my car over to the side.

 

I’m planning to check on her so i tried to find the nearest parking spot. 

 

Once i’m done, i searched for her with an umbrella over my head. 

 

I tried to sharpen my vision and soon spotted her talking to a small girl who’s now has the puppy in her arms, holding it tightly.

 

I slowly make my way toward them and overhear,

 

“Next time, make sure to hold on the rope tightly. It can be dangerous if you let your puppy to walk on her own. If she run to the road like that again, she might get seriously injured. So please, don’t lose her again. Do you think you can do that?” I overhead Seulgi softly said that to the girl. 

 

“Yeah, unnie. I will. And i’m sorry.” The girl apologized.

 

“It’s okay. Just be more careful next time.” Seulgi patted the girl’s head softly. 

 

Then the two parted ways after gave each other one last hand wave. 

 

 

“Seulgi?” I softly tapped her shoulder.

 

“Huh?” She quickly turned her body around, looking slightly alarmed. “Oh? Irene unnie!” Her tensed face turned into a softer one before it breaks into a smile once she recognized it was me. 

 

“You’re alright?” My eyebrows furrowed in worry as i see how soaked wet she is from head to toe. 

 

“A-ah.. You must be surprised to see me drenching wet like this. I’m alright. Just forgot my umbrella.” She grinned.

 

How can she still able to smile in situation like this. Even under so many people’s curious gaze at her. 

 

If i were her, i would feel hella uncomfortable. But Seulgi, she seems calm and unbothered.

 

I can see her body start to shiver tho. 

 

Out of instinct, i pulled her by the arm to stand under my umbrella.

 

“Please hold it for me.” I handed her my umbrella and she quietly received it. 

 

I then proceed to take off my gray sweater and draped it on her shoulder. 

 

“Oh? No need, unnie!” She tried to refuse. 

 

Her free hand that didn’t hold the umbrella already pull the edge of my sweater, wanting to take it off of her wet shoulder. But of course i was faster. 

 

I grab her hand and keep it still in my hold. 

 

“Wear it, Seul. You’re shivering.” I sternly told her. 

 

“But your sweater will get wet, unnie.”

 

“So what? I can wash it and dry it later. Now c’mon.” Still with her left hand in my hold, i pulled her to walk toward my car.

 

“Uh.. where are we heading to?” She confusedly asked. 

 

“You’re scared now? Afraid that i will kidnap you?” I put up my poker face as i asked her that. Curious to see her reaction.

 

“Ah. Of course not. You’re too pretty to be a bad guy, unnie.” She snickered. 

 

I just scoffed hearing her remark. 

 

Guess she can do sweet talk too. 

 

“Don’t judge a book by its cover, Seul. Now hop in.” I open my car door for her and take the umbrella from her hand.

 

“Whoa! Guess you’re being serious when you said you want to kidnap me!” Now she looks slightly surprised. 

 

“Now you’re scared huh?” I smirked. 

 

But just like that, she changed her facial expression again into a mischievous one. 

 

“Still not actually. I still believe that you’re not a bad guy, unnie. Hehe so i will hop in.” She giggled and then get inside my car. 

 

I just snorted at that. She’s such a kid. A cute one. 

 

“Tell me your address. I will drive you home.” I told her as i turn on my gps, ready to type in her address. 

 

“Eyyy, thought i will get kidnap today. I was anticipating it. You’re no fun, unnie.” She huffed.

 

Good. Now this kid can jokes around with me this comfortably as if we’re best friends or something. 

 

And weirdly, i don’t mind it at all. 

 

I found myself reacting well to her jokes and teases as if it’s a very natural-common thing for me to do. 

 

“Nah, don’t feel disappointed just yet. I’ll kidnap you some other time, kiddo. You need to take your shower asap before you get sick.”

 

“Hehe okay, i will listen to unnie well. By the way, my address is xxxxx.”

 

Turned out her house is not that far from my apartment. It takes around only 20 minutes by car.

 

We were both silent as we listen to some random songs play on the radio.

 

Surprisingly this silence is not awkward for me. More like calming and comforting? As weird as it might sounds. 

 

Like today is only our second meeting. 

 

And yet we acted this comfortable around each other already. 

 

Well for Seulgi, i can see that she’s a type of person who socialize well with people. She’s a type of person who can befriended anyone, who can blend in easily anywhere, who can easily steal people’s heart. She’s just that like-able and adorable. 

 

But me? I’m an awkward person. A true introvert. So i’m the one who’s being strange here for going against my nature. 

 

It feels like i’m not being myself anymore when i’m with her.

 

And honestly, it kinda scares me. But in a good way, if that’s even possible. 

 

The image of her running courageously to save the puppy earlier flashed to my mind. I smiled to myself before i open my mouth. 

 

“By the way i saw what you did earlier. That’s pretty admirable.”

 

“What did i do?”

 

“Saving the puppy.”

 

“Ahhhh.. You see that huh?” She sheepishly smiled. 

 

“You’re such a kind-hearted kid i see.”

 

“Nah, it’s not that. I have my personal reason.” She said with her serious face.

 

“Oh you do?” I can’t hide my curiosity. 

 

“Yeah.” She nodded firmly. 

 

“If you don’t mind, may i know what?” Heck, why is it so easy for this bear to gain my interest.

 

“It’s because.. My Chinese zodiac is a dog. I was born in dog year.” She innocently flashed me her smile. 

 

“.... What kind of reason is that, Kang Seulgi?!” Without i even realize it, i raised my voice. Feeling somehow tricked by her. 

 

“Hahahahaha sorry sorry. I was kidding. I thought that’s pretty funny. No?” 

 

I just glared at her. 

 

She raised both of her hands in the air, showing that she’s surrender, while giggling. 

 

She can be so annoying too i see. Whilst still being cute. Ah, i’m being biased. 

 

“Okay okay. Sorry. No more jokes now. I did that because.. i just feel the need to do something. I mean i could help, so why not helping, right?”

 

“So, you’re indeed a kind-hearted kid.” I affirmatively said. 

 

“Well, if you think that i am, then thank you.” She sincerely smiled at me.

 

“No, thank you, Seul. For being a good kid and saved the puppy.” I smiled back at her. 

 

I didn’t even realize what i’m doing. But as if my hand has its own mind, it suddenly grabs Seulgi’s left hand, give it a soft pat twice. 

 

Once i realized what i did, i quickly retreated my hand and put it back on my lap. 

 

I just hope Seulgi won’t find that weird. 

 

***

 

(In front of Seulgi’s home)

 

“Thank you for driving me home safely, Irene unnie.” Seulgi flashed me her adorable eye-smile. 

 

“You’re welcome, Seulgi-ssi.”

 

“Eyyyyyy~~~” She boo-ed.

 

“What?” I raised one of my eyebrows in confusion.

 

“You called me ‘Seul’ several times earlier, unnie. Why back to Seulgi-ssi now?” She pouted. 

 

“A-ah.. sorry. Guess i did it without i even realize it. Sorry if you don’t like it.” 

 

“Yeah, i don’t like it when you call me with -ssi. That’s just too formal. I like it when you call me ‘Seul’ better. Hehe..” 

 

“A-ah? Okay then, Seul.” Yeah, calling her with Seul sound somewhat better too in my opinion. 

 

“Okay, unnie. Drive safe on your way back home! And! Text me okay?”

 

“I will.” I said with a small smile that God knows how hard for me to keep it that way. Because on the inside, i’m grinning widely. 

 

Yeah, we both decided to exchange our phone numbers. And we also promised that we will have a lunch or dinner together some other time.

 

That kid insisted she wants to ‘repay’ me. Tho i already told her that i don’t see the need in doing that. But yeah, she’s pretty strong-willed. Told you she can be persistent. 

 

And who am i to refuse when the sounds of her invitation is pretty tempting actually?

 

She waved at me for one last time before walk inside her house and vanished behind the white tall fences.

 

 

Kang Seulgi.. 

 

I don’t know why but my guts are telling me that we will meet each other more often after this.

 

And i already can’t wait for our third meeting.