Seven

Blue

 

 

 

 

 

 

She struts her way to work in high spirits this Thursday afternoon, finally unraveling yesterday's events. Prior to this, school had kept her mind full.  

 

 

Sakura had come to save her mood, unexpectedly. Despite her cold exterior, the girl was oozing out comfort around her. 

 

 

And just like a domino effect, more recent memories unlace. 

 

 

Hyewon. The girl had the tendency to be conspicuous with what she really feels. Minju wonders if her slip of a mouth- that is, calling Sakura cute, was even considered a slip of a mouth at all. Her best friend was a pure embodiment of confidence layered with more confidence.

 

 

One quality she wished she had.  

 

 

Especially in front of... her. 

 

 

Her right hand unconsciously clutch at her duffel bag's strap, rubbing a thumb on the smear of blue paint on it. The unwanted tingling in her chest had reared its way back. It was a familiar feeling, one she'd experienced upon watching Yujin's back, in the presence of another equally tall and attractive girl. 

 

 

Don't worry about it, Sakura had implied. Was she too obvious, then? 

 

 

Minju snaps out of it just in time to catch the same cardboard sign from yesterday menacingly waiting for her head. 

 

 

"Not today." Minju mutters under her breath, successfully dodging it. 

 

 

"If glares could kill, that sign would be in pieces by now." She spots Sakura leaning against the dormitory gates with her arms crossed, wearing a soft smile that could have gotten anybody a fair share of blush on their cheeks. 

 

 

The smile was contagious that she had to mirror the same facial posture back. 

 

 

"That board and I don't have a good relationship." She responds with a chuckle.

 

 

Sakura lifts herself off the gate's legs and lightly skips towards her, hands clasped behind her back. 

 

 

Cute. She immediately thought. 

 

 

Minju wondered if Yujin acted like this whenever she's comfortable.  

 

 

She inwardly shakes her head. This was not the time to dwell on someone that made her heart a little troubled. 

 

 

"Earth to Minju?" 

 

 

Oh, she'd spaced out. 

 

 

"Sorry, just had a couple of unnecessary things on my mind." 

 

 

Sakura juts her bottom lip. 

 

 

"What's dimming your shine so early in the afternoon, princess?" 

 

 

Ah, there it was, the blush jerker. Thought she was used to it, which she was (to some extent), but she still had some way to go. Minju masks her bashfulness with a small laugh. 

 

 

"Such lip service. I'm actually feeling great, thanks to you." 

 

 

The bright smile she got from Sakura after that was almost blinding. 

 

 

"I live to make pretty girls happy, even just for a little bit." 

 

 

Minju sincerely laughs heartily at this, not able to hide the pink hue now plastered on her cheeks. She calms herself down gradually, and that's when she noticed a piercing stare in her direction. 

 

 

Slightly hopeful, she whisks her head to the one spot she wants to catch it from, but finds the window closed and covered. 

 

 

"Yujin is in her room, if you're wondering. Though, I'm not sure if she'd woken up yet. Girl could sleep like a rock for almost half a day if she wanted to." 

 

 

How much more transparent could she be? Minju realizes she's just like Hyewon in that department. Trying to shake the thought off, she aimed to change the subject. 

 

 

"I've got to get going, I need to get the rest of the building coated by the end of the day." 

 

 

"Awe, already? Does that mean you won't be working here anymore?" 

 

 

Minju moves along the entrance after giving Sakura a parting smile. Once inside, she lastly assures the girl, her voice slightly enhanced in volume purposely to be clear. 

 

 

Though she wasn't at all directing that message to Sakura, but rather, to the certain someone on the second floor, unconsciously.

 

 

"I'll still visit if you want me to." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minju had turned suddenly.

 

 

So sudden.

 

 

But Yujin had dropped the curtain back into place, spun around, and plopped herself down on the floor just in time to not be exposed. This was the most exercise she's had in a while as her pulse pounds hard, painfully becoming drier. 

 

 

She mentally makes fun of herself. This was not of her character at all. If anything, she should have let herself be seen. 

 

 

For what reason? Probably a petty one. She'd wanted to ultimately stop the cringe-worthy exchanges between the two, and the plan would have worked if Minju saw her. 

 

 

It was... an eyesore so early in her day. That's all. Nothing more. 

 

 

Thump....thump....

 

 

Her heart continued to take on its own marathon. But this time, it wasn't because of the sudden blood rush from earlier. 

 

 

It was different, slightly baffling. It was both good and bad. 

 

 

Images of Minju's face start to resurface in the depths of her unconscious mind. Almost like an old cinematic video projector, her mind hearing clicks every time the scene changed. 

 

 

Click. 

 

 

Minju's eyes turning into slits as she laughs heartily. 

 

 

Click.

 

 

The shy mannerisms of ducking her head subtly in attempt to hide her flushed cheeks. 

 

 

Click. 

 

 

Her embarrassed smiles. Even down to her small glare that was far from intimidating but instead- 

 

 

Yujin jolts slightly from her phone vibrating in her pajama pocket. She lifts it up and sighs at the caller ID. 

 

 

Jang Wonyoung

 

 

Yesterday. She wasn't going to think about yesterday again but here it was, seeping its way back because of a single phone call. The car ride had been rather quiet until they got to the school grounds. 

 

 

[Flashback]

 

 

"I missed our friendship before everything. But ultimately I missed you." 

 

 

Bittersweet. It was purely that. 

 

 

Yujin had missed this too, the atmosphere that Wonyoung always created. 

 

 

She feels the girl's hold on her arm tightening by the second. The girl was evidently awaiting a response and the silence was starting to manifest a sense of anxiety. And so she answers honestly. 

 

 

"I missed how things were before everything, too. But we can't keep going like this, Young-ah." It slipped out of so naturally, the old nickname she used to call the girl. 

 

 

The latter seemed to gleefully notice, as she nozzles her head further into the crook of Yujin's neck. 

 

 

"I just need a little bit of time with you, while I'm here." 

 

 

"How so?" 

 

 

She feels the girl smile on her shoulder. 

 

 

"Give me just a week of you. In fact, give me just one day, to tell you how I really feel. Everything. Whatever happens after that, I vow to no longer cause you any pain."

 

 

Yujin was half sure and half not, with what the girl was referring to. But she checks the car's dashboard clock, realizes she only has a few minutes to spare, and so she nods an agreement without giving things a second thought. 

 

 

"Meet me at my place tomorrow." 

 

 

[End of flashback] 

 

 

She realizes she'd left the call on voicemail, yet there was no follow-on ring coming from Wonyoung after that. 

 

 

Yujin will have to apologize about this later, but right now her mind is in shambles. Fortunately, Sakura's voice was loud enough to distract her from her own thoughts. 

 

 

Eavesdropping was not her forte, but she was eager enough this time around as she leans her ear at the slight opening of her window, her body awkwardly positioned where she was in a low side-squat to avoid being seen. 

 

 

"...you won't be working here anymore?" 

 

 

Yujin raises a brow at Sakura's disappointed tone. It was almost cutesy, and she shakes her head at it. 

 

 

There was a small pause, and she waits impatiently at what the other girl has to say. 

 

 

"I'll still visit if you want me to." 

 

 

Was Minju flirting back? 

 

 

Yujin sneers a little. 

 

 

Not that she cares. 

 

 

Not at all. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note: Truth be told, I've lost my inspiration these past few days, not only because I've been busy with work (yes, I still work, outside the comfort of my own home, booooo) but also because of that writer's plateau. I gain and re-gain inspiration in the most randomest times, but reading your wonderful comments does push me to do better, so thank you my adorable readers, for the support :) Hope this update is enough of a compensation, enjoy! <3