Lunar New Year

Lunar New Year
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Disclaimer: The story is a product of my imagination and was inspired by the recent episodes of My Ugly Duckling. The people portrayed in my story do not reflect who they are in real life. Like most spartace shippers, I am wishfully waiting for the day that our ship will sail. Hope you enjoy this story!

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

 

“I’m nervous,” Ji Hyo muttered.

 

Jong Kook chuckled and gave his wife a back hug, “Wae? There’s nothing to be nervous about.”

 

“It’s my first lunar new year with your family. Of course, I’m nervous!” she complained.

 

He smiled widely at her confession and nestled his cheek against her head, “You don’t have to be anxious. Everyone already adores you. In fact, I should be the one worrying.”

 

Her eyes shot up in curiosity, “Hmm?”

 

“Everyone’s going to fawn over you and I’ll be left alone by myself,” he teased.

 

She rolled her eyes and started squirming, attempting to escape from his embrace but he only tightened his grip on her. “Aigoo, I was just trying to calm your nerves. Relax. It’s going to be fine.”

 

“Arasso, arasso,” she tapped his arm lightly and was released from his arms.

 

The newlyweds were at Jong Kook’s parents’ garage. They were currently waiting for his family while he conducted a quick inspection on the 12-seater van he purchased a few years ago, the particular vehicle they’ve been using to visit their hometown.

 

“Everything’s okay?” Ji Hyo asked as Jong Kook closed the driver’s door.

 

“We just need to fill the tank on the way but everything else is perfect,” Jong Kook winked and placed his arm around her shoulders.

 

“Imo, imo, imo!!!” The couple saw an energetic Li Won enter the garage and happily ran towards Ji Hyo to give her a hug, separating Jong Kook from his wife.

 

Ji Hyo returned the gesture and enveloped her arms around Li Won as well, “Did you just grow taller?! Look at you! I see you’re pretty excited, huh?”

 

“Can we sit together?” she asked.

 

“Yah, Li Won, your Ji Hyo imo is accompanying me in the front seat while I drive,” Jong Kook warned.

 

“Aigoo, aren’t you newlyweds cute? Wanting to stay close together on your first lunar new year’s celebration,” Jong Myung smirked as he arrived with Tae Hyeon following him behind, carrying the pieces of luggage they’ll put in the van.

 

“Ani, it’s okay. We can sit together,” Ji Hyo lightly pinched Li Won’s cheeks. Satisfied with Ji Hyo imo’s approval, Li Won stuck her tongue out to her Jong Kook samchon whose face looks stunned by what just happened.

 

Fits of laughter were heard as the rest of the family members came in and witnessed the whole scene take place.

 

“Yah, after all these years that you’ve been nagging me to get married... I can’t believe you’re still ganging up against me about me being finally married,” he grumbled.

 

“Samchon, please stop sulking. At least this is better than hearing your plans to get married on a yearly basis,” Tae Hyeon said and went straight to the trunk to start loading their stuff.

 

Roars of laughter now filled the place. Ji Hyo couldn’t hold back her response and started clapping and tearing up from the unexpected blow from his nephew. Jong Myung beamed with pride as he approached his dongsaeng and tapped his shoulder, “You just got served.”

 

Jong Kook shook his head, “Just get in. It’s gonna be a long ride.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

 

The Kims finally hit the road with the Kim brothers up at front, Ji Hyo, Abuji, Li Won in the middle and Omoni, Tae Hyeon and Jong Myung’s wife were at the back.

 

Li Won was pleased to be seated in between her two most favorite people in the world: her haraboji and Ji Hyo imo. She wouldn’t stop talking about her friends and kept showing off the latest trends on the internet. Although Ji Hyo’s face looks interested, her perplexed blank expression did not escape Jong Kook’s sight when he peeked through the rearview mirror. His wife was obviously lost in their conversation and was struggling to keep herself awake. She was his batgirl afterall, one of the few nicknames he gave her after the Running Man cast constantly for being a cave woman.

 

“Li Wonnie,” Jong Kook called her attention.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Aren’t you sleepy?” Jong Kook asked.

 

“Not really,” she replied.

 

“Really? I thought you woke up early so you could sleep on the way to Hapcheon,” Jong Myung stated.

 

“Maybe later, but not now,” she claimed and continued demonstrating the latest video craze to Ji Hyo.

 

Ji Hyo took a short glimpse at the rearview mirror and smiled at her husband. He raised his eyebrows in return, checking if she was okay. She nodded her head and then set her attention back on Li Won who was now showing her a dance cover she recorded in her bedroom.

 

“Just focus on driving. See that, traffic in Seoul isn’t as bad as we thought,” Jong Kook’s father spoke out of the blue.

 

Amused at his impeccable timing, Jong Kook couldn’t help but comment, “Abuji, it’s good to know that you’ve decided to talk.”

 

Jong Myung snickered, “Pabo. It’s his way of saying let your wife be and mind your own business. We get it that you’re newly married but tone it down a little.”

 

“What? I wasn’t even—”

 

“Jong Kook, we’re near the rest stop, aren’t we?” His mom interrupts.

 

“Ah, ne,” Jong Kook scratched his head and concentrated on the road. They were about 500m away from the rest stop and he couldn’t wait to get his hands on a walnut cake and more importantly, spend a little more time with Ji Hyo. He couldn’t deny it himself. He was extremely happy to be married, realizing all the more that there are so many dreams that he cannot wait to pursue with her, including this silly wish of just having her on this holiday trip with his family.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

 

Upon reaching the rest stop, Jong Kook came down from the driver’s seat to give his arms and legs a good stretch. Soon, he felt someone’s hand touch his lower back and saw Ji Hyo staring at him with a worried look on her face.

 

“Gwenchana,” he assured her and held her hand, “You want me to get you something?”

 

“It’s fine. We can go together. I also promised Li Won that I’ll accompany her and omoni,” she said.

 

“Why can’t I just have you for myself?” he moped.

 

She giggled and hooked her arms around his, “Cut them some slack. You do realize that they’re just happy, right? I mean they’ve been waiting for you to get married for ages.”

 

“See what I mean when I said you shouldn’t worry about this trip? Stop feeling flustered. They’ve been waiting for my wife for ages. They love you,” he grinned.

 

Ji Hyo sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder, timidly hiding her face from him. Jong Kook took this opportunity to wrap his arm around her waist and plant a kiss on her forehead.

 

“You’re awfully quiet yeobo, what’s the matter?” Jong Kook asked.

 

Before Ji Hyo could answer, they heard Jong Kook’s omoni and Li Won call them from afar, asking them if they would rather stay in the van. The couple shook their heads and immediately walked behind them.

 

When they reached the food stalls, Li Won eagerly pointed out that she wanted to get a corn dog, an order of fishcakes, and a chocolate bar. Luckily, halmeoni was beside her and had already bought her the first two items. She was even more glad that her oppa wasn’t around to scold her for letting their halmeoni spend way so much money on her food. However, as they were about to head to the candy stall, Tae Hyeon caught her and stopped their halmeoni from making another purchase, arguing that his dongsaeng had gone over the budget once again.

 

Ji Hyo bit her lip and chuckled when she saw the two siblings arguing in front of them. She couldn’t believe how Tae Hyeon is turning out to be like the Kim men: frugal, strong and yet still gentle and caring. Despite that she felt sorry for Li Won, whose frown kinda looks like her husband when he broods.

 

“Oppa, they’re so adorable. They take after you so much,” Ji Hyo whispered, her tone sounding quite deflated.

 

“Hey Ji Hyo-ah, what are you not telling me, huh?” He grabbed her shoulders forcing her to look at him straight in the eye. Ji Hyo smiled, “Aigoo, I’m okay.”

 

Jong Kook squinted his eyes, uncertain with the way she’s acting up. Since her nampyeon was still unconvinced, she placed her hands on his waist and grinned, “I swear, oppa. I’m fine.”

 

Jong Kook nodded. Though he still felt suspicious, he decided to let it go for now and talk to her about it later, in private. He stole a quick kiss from her, hoping it would somehow change her mood. Shocked by his sudden public display of affection, Ji Hyo smacked his chest playfully. “Oppa! There are so many people here!” she hissed.

 

“Wae? Can’t a married man kiss his wife?” he asked her in his teasing tone.

 

“Aish, didn’t you say you wanted to get a walnut cake?!” Ji Hyo’s face was still evidently red from embarrassment.

 

“Yes, I did and I wanted to get it with my buin,” he held her hand and led her to the store.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

 

When they got back to their parking slot, Jong Kook announced that Ji Hyo would sit with him in front this time around.

 

Li Won was about to complain but her oppa gave her a warning look. Jong Myung also consoled her by rubbing his hand on her back. She let out a huge sigh in response which made her grandparents laugh.

 

Before Ji Hyo hopped on the passenger’s seat, she grabbed Li Won’s wrist and secretly handed her a chocolate bar from the candy stall she was eyeing on earlier. The young girl’s eyes shot wide open in surprise and hugged her imo tightly to thank her. Unbeknownst to Li Won, Jong Kook saw the exchange between the two and threw a wink at Ji Hyo for just being an amazing and considerate imo that his niece could ever ask fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter