The Face Of Joy And Sorrow

See You On Monday! (Don't Forget)

Death opens its eyes slowly, head filled with thoughts and throat dry.

After the meeting with the higher-ups, it felt like something had been taken out of its already empty chest.

 He had spent the rest of the week crying, hidden by his dark cloak and away from all other creatures, for an ultimatum had been given. 

Of course, no one knew that. No one knew how devastated Death was truly feeling. 

"Death, our decision is final. Either you stop meeting that human, or we will have to find someone else to replace you. The choice is yours. I hope you won't disappoint us."

"Fine! Fine, I get it. I really do, okay? Just give me one more day. I'll say goodbye and then I'll never meet him again. I promise I won't."

"...Sure. Do as you must."

The words of the higher-ups still swirling in its mind, the Grim Reaper sits quietly on top of a tree branch, gaze lingering on the house of the only person that could make everything better.

It's Monday.

Once again, it's Monday. 

Donghyuck sighs as he gets up, shape gradually changing into that of the boy so eager to meet his best friend.

He doesn't want to say goodbye. He doesn't want to feel sad. He doesn't want to let go of Mark, not now, not ever. He wants to feel giddy and he wants to be unable to hide his smile thinking about all the fun he's gonna have in the next few hours. 

The day that normally brings him nothing but happiness and always tastes like coffee, now it only scares him. And he hates that.

Steps heavy, he reaches the front door. But unlike every other Monday, as soon as he rings the bell Mark's figure appears in front of him, eyes wide and hair messy. 

"Woah... You really came." The boy says, voice saturated with surprise and curiosity.

"Excuse me...?" Donghyuck stares right back at him, brows furrowed in confusion. Why isn't Mark suspicious? Why isn't he threatening to close the door in his face? Why isn't he asking for an explanation? Just... Why does it look like he was waiting for him? The Grim Reaper falters just for a second. Despite his efforts to stay rational, hope begins filling his chest; and that's never a good thing. "Do... Do you know who I am?"

Mark bites his bottom lip before looking him up and down. "That's weird tho... I don't see them... Maybe I'm wrong..." 

"What are you talking about?"

"Are you... the scythe and ugly skull guy?"

"Huh?!"

***

"I wasn't sure at first, but there was something weird about the note. I mean, my friends couldn't read it all, yet it was pretty easy for me, so that was already strange enough. I've been waiting for you to show up to ask for an explanation."

Donghyuck's hands are shaking slightly as he takes a sip of his coffee. 

He had forgotten it. He had forgotten the damn note in Mark's apartment. That was such a newbie move, how could he make such a mistake? What was he even thinking? God! No wonder the higher-ups didn't trust him in the slightest.

"Wait, but why did you let me in so easily? I've never seen you give up your guard this quickly. Who says you can trust me? I...I mean, you can! But..."

Mark chuckles, finding the boy's awkwardness almost endearing. When he read what was written on that piece of paper, he didn't expect his alleged best friend to be so cute. "Because the note mentioned something about trusting my guts. That's what sold me."

"Uhm... I think I'm gonna need you to elaborate a bit more on that one."

The older scratches his neck, looking out of the window. "Well... When I touched it, I almost started crying. Which I rarely do so it was really unsettling. It felt like someone was crushing my chest,  you know? And then, when I opened the door and saw you, that feeling came back. I can't really explain it but I just... I just trust you."  He closes his eyes, cheeks turning a light shade of pink. Normally, he would never say anything like that. It's not often that he lets his emotion spill out. But this boy... He just can't lie to him. 

"Mark..."

"I don't understand why but for the rest of the week it felt like I was missing someone. But now you showed up and it suddenly stopped. So...I guess what I'm trying to say is that... I missed... you." Mark clenches his jaw, unable to even look at Donghyuck. It was so embarrassing, yet he couldn't stop himself from finishing that sentence. "A-Anyway yeah. That's it. That's why. Uhm, I hope I didn't weird you out. Ah, if you finished your coffee I'll just-"

"Mark." 

Finally, Mark turns his head towards his best friend, ears burning. But, the feeling of discomfort goes away as soon as he sees the other's face. "Hey, is everything okay? Are you... Are you crying?"

Donghyuck can't reply. He knows that as soon as he opens his mouth, he won't be able to hold back his tears any longer. Silently, he moves his hand towards his chest, squeezing the fabric right on top of the place his heart should be; that is, if only he had one. 

But then again, if he truly is heartless, why is he hurting so much right now?

Mark missed him.

Mark missed him.

Mark missed him.

Mark missed him.

He remembered him. For the first time ever, Mark didn't forget who he is. He didn't forget and he missed him. And it's so painful.

It's so painful, yet Donghyuck has never felt such joy before. He has lived for centuries, but it's in this moment that he realizes what euphoria truly feels like. 

"You..." Donghyuck's lips tremble as the grip on his chest tightens. "You missed me, Mark?"

"I did, but are you alright? Did I say something wrong?" Mark quickly gets up from the couch, hurrying to the younger's side. Unsure of what to do, he simply kneels in front of him, eyes filled with worry. Is it okay to touch him? Is it okay to be this close to him? Why did he react like that? Did Mark scare him? For some reason, the mere thought of having hurt him in any way makes Mark's ache inside. "Talk to me, what's going on?"

Donghyuck's head hanging low, making it impossible for the other to clearly see his expressions, his shoulders begin to shake. 

"Seriously, you gotta tell me what's up, I'm-"

"I'm okay." Death's voice sounds like a whisper. So much so that Mark almost doesn't hear it.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." At last, Donghyuck straightens his back, now allowing the other to look at him.

And what he sees leaves him breathless. 

Tears streaming down his cheek, Donghyuck is sporting the most beautiful smile he has ever seen in his whole life. And it looks so sorrowful yet so pure and honest, Mark wishes he could admire it forever.

"I'm just so happy. I'm so happy." The Grim Reaper lets his fingertips inch closer to Mark's hand, grazing it slightly. 

"Thank you for missing me, Mark."